PDA

View Full Version : [Palm OS] Favorite Applications for Palm OS on your N800/770

Bloodangel05
2007-11-14, 19:23
Now with the arrival of Palm OS on the Nokia n800/770, the question must be asked, what is your favorite freeware application (or if you want, paid for application) that you put/plan to put on your n800/770?

Share your opinion/thoughts so we can all get ideas on what to get for ourselves :)

allefm
2007-11-14, 21:47
Planetarium from www.aho.ch/pilotplanets by Andreas Hofer. Would be wonderful to port to Maemo.

alslayer
2007-11-15, 01:12
I am hoping for eReader to show up.

twaelti
2007-11-15, 08:49
Planetarium from www.aho.ch/pilotplanets by Andreas Hofer. Would be wonderful to port to Maemo.
2nd that :D I love it on my Clie TH-55* in 320x480 - how beautiful it would be on the N800 800x480! Maemo stars in "nothing" in comparison (sorry).

*That I'm never using anymore because there is sadly no need for it anymore, it just lies around in the house...argh

geneven
2007-11-15, 10:12
Ereader works, though FBreader is better on the N800.

Nilles
2007-11-15, 10:29
I can remember space trader on my palm III.

alslayer
2007-11-15, 18:57

Yea, but I can't get my Star Trek ebooks on FBreader. I need my modern ebook fix.
:)

rcsteiner
2007-11-16, 17:26
Now with the arrival of Palm OS on the Nokia n800/770, the question must be asked, what is your favorite freeware application (or if you want, paid for application) that you put/plan to put on your n800/770?
Some of the freeware Palm applications and games I really like that seem to work in the Garnet VM on my Nokia 770 are (in no particular order):

Datebk3 (replacement palm calendar/todo application)
Calcul-8! (nice freeware scientific calendar)
Parens (another nice freeware calculator. Only the non-mathlib version works under Garnet VM, though)
Crossword (Scrabble game with decent AI)
BigTime (clock/stopwatch application)
PalmDB (freeware database program)
Yahdice (freeware Yahtzee clone -- good time waster!)
pTelnet (at least until I can get a native 7700 telnet to install -- and yes, it does work through my 770's wifi connection! :D)

I wish WWCalc would work, but its points calculator seems to have some serious issues.

klinglerware
2007-11-16, 17:43
I saw via a google search that there is a freeware audible player (AudiblePlayer 2.1) available for the Palm OS. If it's any good, I'd be very excited to get it on my tablet...

joelong
2007-11-16, 22:25
DateBk5 is the best program that I've ever used on a PDA, and the best calendar program I've used on any platform. I'm very excited about the possibility of being able to use it on my N800.

By the way, I assume that, once I flash my N800 to OS2008, I should use the N810 version of Garnet VM on it???

kady
2007-11-29, 02:34
I was a palm nut before I bought the Nokia. I was ready to give up on Palm. (Anyway, that is another story).

So, I have loaded garnet on my n800 and have used it for a couple of weeks. The Nokia syncs with my mac over wi-fi using missing sync. Frankly, if garnet had been available 3 months ago, I would not be the dubiously proud owner of an iphone. Such as it is though, I sync and overwrite the calendar, and contacts. It does not hurt to have a back up, and a back up of a back up and so on.

I have found that many of the applications that I used before work with a few exceptions. The only problem with the exceptions is that they crash garnet so hard that all of the loaded palm apps are deleted.

So these are applications that I have paid for in the past 4 years or so and work.

Astraware games:
Bejewled
Bookworm (my favorite of the Astraware games)
Sudoku
TextTwist

My favorite freeware title HandyShopper works. I have an extensive grocery list built up over the years and the way HS manages the lists is great.

Handmark Scrabble, the early version, works great.

I am pleased that Oxford Dictionary, the latest version, works. However, I only had the old version downloaded and it crashed garnet, erasing all of the palm apps.

Splash Money appears to work. However, I have not tried to do much with it until I can be sure garnet is stable - as it was erased once again last night with my attempt to load Good Fortune, a really cute, rather sophisticated fortune cookie app.

Two other nice programs that were not too cheap also do not work, but do not crash quite so badly. Pennovate Notes and CalenNotes do not work. Still, now that the window area is so small, it is difficult to write there.

aflegg
2007-11-29, 13:43
kady,

That's a really cool list. Have you provided ACCESS the feedback they request through their compatibility page?

http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/feedback.html

TA-t3
2007-11-29, 14:27
My working apps are:
Bang! - Astraware game
Bike or Die - Another game. This one uses CPU on the N800 though
FileZ - utility
kMeteo - downloads/shows weather info
Lufthansa - Time table application from Lufthansa
Timesheet - Timesheet program
PiLoc - Tool to replace localisation info. Tool runs, but can't replace loc info.
MBConnect (aka AGConnect) - AvantGo sync program, downloads from sync.avantgo.com

Doesn't work:
AvantGo itself - crashes GVM
Any program so far that requires mathlib.prc

(I've had a few others running too but they're not currently installed)

All reported to access' feedback page.

kady
2007-11-29, 18:35
[QUOTE=aflegg;101922]kady,

That's a really cool list. Have you provided ACCESS the feedback they request through their compatibility page?

I have submitted feedback forms. I have not heard back from them. It would be nice if they had some kind of email bot that acknowledges receipt.

Thanks!

jdr93
2008-01-01, 21:30
- snip -
I have found that many of the applications that I used before work with a few exceptions. The only problem with the exceptions is that they crash garnet so hard that all of the loaded palm apps are deleted.
- snip -
i'm having the same erase problem. i loaded garnet for the 810 on my 800 with 2008 on it. i was able to sync what appeared to be all my programs and data from my clie version of palm and most of them worked, including
metro,
scx,
currency,
bigclock,
stop3watch,
powerone.
i have forgotten now which, but some program (?avantgo?) caused a catastrophic crash and all the palm program icons disappeared from the selection screen. resyncing however did not bring them back, though the programs on both the pc and the n800 showed them all be synced. thinking there might be problem with garnet i removed it and installed it again (after rebooting) and re-resynced. no luck.
i noticed you're implication in your post you were able to resync and have the icons reappear. is there a futher step i need to take? like clear old data from the n800?

kady
2008-01-03, 04:19
I finally put all of the applications that work in a folder on my sd card. Then I reinstalled them at least 3 or 4 times as I figured out which worked and which did not. I was getting pretty annoyed.

I did not resync, as whenever missing sync tries to backup or restore from back up, it crashes. I think that avant go is one of the programs that does not work.

geneven
2008-01-03, 04:58
alslayer:

Check wowio.com. You might be able to get your Star Trek books in pdf format there, for free, of course.

TA-t3
2008-01-03, 10:30
kady: Avantgo doesn't work, but it doesn't damage the installation either. However Pocketsat+ (and possibly others) which requires mathlib.prc totally wrecked my GVM installation. There's some suspicion that maybe in fact no application which requires an extra library .prc will work at all - I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but unless AGConnect (which actually works fine) doesn't use libmal then I don't have any application currently installed that uses a 3party library. Will have to do some research on this - it would be a major bummer.

Karel Jansens
2008-01-03, 11:42
My alltime favourite Palm app is mirror.prc. Its depth of possibilities, intricacies of design and permeating use of PalmOS's features are a joy to the eye. I cannot wait to run it on my N800.

<extremely deep sarcasm smiley deleted to prevent vision damage>

Charlie62
2008-01-03, 14:10
Yes, use the 810. The 800 still seems to be based on OS2007 and will not install with OS2008.

Nitesky
2008-01-05, 14:11
One more app that no one has mentioned is Splash Shopper. It is a good database application and I was able to transfer it along with all of my databases for it. Since I have lots of info stored there, I am happy about that!

kady
2008-01-06, 16:18
My alltime favourite Palm app is mirror.prc. Its depth of possibilities, intricacies of design and permeating use of PalmOS's features are a joy to the eye.

Ah mirror, I remember it well. What a crack up! I missed this earlier.

kady
2008-01-06, 16:23

I use ereader for all of the books that are locked up with credit card numbers. The multiformat books I re-downloaded in a format for fbreader and pdf. I found that I preferred the pdf format, but they both have their advantages. I am just grateful that I will be able to read my locked ebooks when my lifedrive (bleh!) decides to give up the ghost.

Karel Jansens
2008-01-06, 16:39
I use ereader for all of the books that are locked up with credit card numbers. The multiformat books I re-downloaded in a format for fbreader and pdf. I found that I preferred the pdf format, but they both have their advantages. I am just grateful that I will be able to read my locked ebooks when my lifedrive (bleh!) decides to give up the ghost.

I tried DropBook for that Peanut locked shite, but it doesn't work on all books, so I torrented un-DRMed versions of the books I had bought.

The biggest problem was to stay away from books I didn't own a version of...

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-06, 17:08
One more app that no one has mentioned is Splash Shopper. It is a good database application and I was able to transfer it along with all of my databases for it. Since I have lots of info stored there, I am happy about that!

How did you get your databases over? I've got SplashID and wouldn't mind using it but when I tried to install the databases GVM choked :(

I hope you don't come back and say you just hotsync'd - that would leave me out. I haven't hotsync'd in years.:rolleyes:

migs
2008-01-06, 20:50
Resco Exporer 3.22 works including its ftp functions, still wish Garnet will offer a "virtual" card option to make Resco work even better!

Nitesky
2008-01-07, 01:02
Splash Shopper was easy because the various data bases , like my books listings, movies, etc were all in separate files in the backup files on my pc. No hot synching for me, I just transported them via usb onto my sd card. I haven't tried Splash Id yet...but now you have awakened my curiosity. I love that app but its on my other desktop pc. I will have to take a look at it later. I also have Splash Money, which I will try later too. I will report my findings!!

Nitesky
2008-01-07, 15:08
Darn :mad: I can't get anywhere with Splash Id!
Fortunately Splash Money is no problem and I will probably use that more on this device anyway:D

Has anyone had any success with Splash ID?

imtab
2008-01-13, 23:02
I was very surprised that I managed to install some Skyscape apps. Got them working could browse and search but every time you close the emulator it loses everything and you have to hotsync to restore which takes forever. I dont know if I could isolate the files which cause the problem and omit them. If you manually install files from an sd card can you select multiple files or do you have to it individually ?

speculatrix
2008-01-13, 23:23
gosh, so many good palm apps, it's hard to choose!

datebook5 is truly excellent, and it is why I still carry my Palm T3 with me; wife has a TX so I know she could use my 770 when Palm finally disappear off the planet.

I love many astraware games, texttwist is one of my favourites!

Handyshopper is really great - not just for shopping, but useful for any sort of resettable to-do list.

eReader, not because it's special, but because it gives access to DRM locked books. Hmm, I wonder if this would allow extraction of the text, so I could free my legitimately owned books?

imtab
2008-01-14, 23:47
I seem to have one skyscape program installed and working unfortunately as an SD card is not emulated I cant have too many. One pdb file is 26mb. This seems to be longest I have had it working have come in out of the program several times and it is still there. Ive now done a hotsync and installed a second program and it still works. I even crashed the emulator ,loud buzz, screen exited and unbelievably the progs were still all there !

speculatrix
2008-01-15, 11:09
unfortunately as an SD card is not emulated

if the Palm had a regular filing system one could do some tricks with loopback mounts, but I think that the emulator/virtual machine is entirely self contained so that it is not possible? I'd love someone to prove me wrong!

FGol
2008-01-17, 15:04
Darn :mad: I can't get anywhere with Splash Id!
Fortunately Splash Money is no problem and I will probably use that more on this device anyway:D

Has anyone had any success with Splash ID?

Yes, SplashID works for me (OS2008 VM).

Also, iSilo, HandDBase, Ambo, BibleReader, and BDictionary.

>> Until AisleRiot gets ported to OS2008, maybe I should see if Patience works....
Hey! I had to delete and reload my repositories and all of a sudden AisleRiot showed up in the installable list. Cool! :)

Frank

tnnm
2008-01-19, 02:28
Stupid question, but I have to ask: Has anyone tried Dataviz's Documents to Go? If it happened to work, then what version did you install?

Thanks in advance...

migs
2008-01-19, 04:10
Stupid question, but I have to ask: Has anyone tried Dataviz's Documents to Go? If it happened to work, then what version did you install?

Thanks in advance...

I remember getting it to work but since there is no "virtual" card support on garnet VM yet, it not much use ...

Nitesky
2008-01-19, 21:01
[QUOTE=FGol;129342]Yes, SplashID works for me (OS2008 VM).
How do you get SplashID to install? Did you download it directly from the site? All I could find was an exe file that the N800 wouldn't use. What method did you use?

FGol
2008-01-20, 01:26
To install SlpashID, I went into my c:\Program Files\Palmone\myid\backup and installed (either by sync or the install button in the VM) any file whose name started with SplashID. I think there were two or three files.

HTH!
Frank

Nitesky
2008-01-20, 17:05
Thanks!:D I finally have my Splash ID working, along with my database! I had to hunt around a bit in my pc because I had initially used PDA SafeID which was in my Handmark files!:o

Wzrd
2008-01-21, 17:18
Well so far I haven't been able to get Garnet to run. Trip Deluxe does not work on it. I uninstalled Trip and then tried to install Rocketmania and another Astraware game just to see if it would work and one of those hosed my Garnet. It locked up my N800 so hard on reboot that it paused for a long time on the Nokia logo (over 5 mins) before getting to the main screen. I ended up uninstalling Garnet once it got me back to the desktop.

I wish Garnet would work. I would love to eliminate the need to take so many electronic gadgets with me if I can get 1 (or a few) gadgets functionality to work all in one unit.

jaslar
2008-01-28, 00:41
I got Brainforest to run, although for some reason it will not accept my registration code...

lazuli
2008-07-07, 21:02
got 3 skyscape apps working.. and isilo too.. :) i just noticed that after installing a lot of programs, exiting the emulator takes a while..