PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading your N800 to OS 2008 WARNING

Reggie
2007-11-14, 19:28
Guys, please be careful.

A word of caution... We were told that USB transfer has a critical bug on the N810 prototype that we have. We were told to use wireless transfer (BT) and the miniSD slot to transfer files in and out. While I can see that the firmware version you all have downloaded is slightly higher that what we have on our N810, it might still have the bug.

I just hope, if it the bug is still there, that the USB connection would work well enough that you can all still re-flash your units to the latest firmware when it comes out.

For those who haven't upgraded their N800, my advice is just wait for the final firmware.

Tuxedosteve
2007-11-14, 19:39
I've flashed my N800 twice today so I'm guessing the USB works well enough in that mode.

Thankfully I tend to pop out the SD card and transfer from the PC via card reader rather than use USB transfer.

Could you ask them nicely if we can have an update? ;)

maxinflixion
2007-11-14, 19:47
Thanks for the head's up. I actually used the USB to transfer a few files over, and had no issue. But you can nver be too careful.

I'll transfer via card reader as well.

luca
2007-11-14, 21:08
Are you telling that they released for download a flawed firmware, when they had no need to (since the n810 isn't available in stores)?
Or is it just a last ditch effort on their part to avoid widespread diffusion of this firmware on the n800 before they make it officially blessed?
Edit: no, I didn't upgrade yet, neither I am in a hurry to do so, but since I almost never use usb for transfers, this "bug" wouldn't stop me from trying.

ShyBoy
2007-11-14, 21:16
what exactly means the USB Bug?
is it that if I directly download the flash file and flasher from web browser, will it still be effected by this bug?

In other words I will just use the usb to connect it with my ubuntu, not copying files.

Am I missing something here?

hordeman
2007-11-14, 21:40
Are you telling that they released for download a flawed firmware, when they had no need to (since the n810 isn't available in stores)?

I thought this firmware was leaked --- you know, a beta.

Anyhow, I'm going to wait for the final firmware for exactly the reasons noted in the initial post. :)

Faz
2007-11-14, 21:49
Appreciate the heads up Reggie! Thanks.

TA-t3
2007-11-14, 22:12
In another thread it was indicated that it could be affecting usb 1.1 only. That's what I have, so I'm definitely going to wait. Well, I would've waited in any case.. ;)

namtastic
2007-11-14, 22:20
I thought this firmware was leaked --- you know, a beta.

Anyhow, I'm going to wait for the final firmware for exactly the reasons noted in the initial post. :)

Leaked? Maybe.

Beta? Not likely.

For the N800? Certainly not!

But it's official, and it's linked to on maemo.org/downloads and on europe.nokia.com/A4678158. If it wasn't ready, those pages wouldn't be up or promoting the download page, and updates would have been directly distributed as they have been throughout development. The download page became available because the tablet is supposedly at the distributors', support pages are up, OS 2008 user site is live... all of which sounds like it's not "beta" to me. (It *is*, however, Revision 1 software which some may feel is roughly the same ;)

Point is, we don't know how much N800 support is in the N810 flash. Is N800 support fully complete yet? Is it really a combined image for both devices? There's no precedent for this with the tablets. That's the real risk.

traveller604
2007-11-14, 22:40
My N800 feels a little warm from the lump at the back. Very little, but still.. don't think that has happened before.

*edit*

So little in fact that I think I'm just being paranoid :rolleyes:

Jupex
2007-11-14, 23:11
Lolz ... first you "leak" the os, and then you try to minimize damage by claiming that this .bin brics your device. :D

I am not buying :)

Reggie
2007-11-14, 23:16
Lolz ... first you "leak" the os, and then you try to minimize damage by claiming that this .bin brics your device. :D

I am not buying :)

I don't get it. Did 'I' leak the OS?

My only intention here is to tell and warn you guys what Nokia did tell the three of us when we first got our N810's.

Go update if you want to. :rolleyes:

Nik1
2007-11-14, 23:34
I flashed mine and everything seems fine. Still testing all the new features. At the moment I am downloading maps for Canada through the maps application. Anyone know if it can function with an external bluetooth GPS?

Mara
2007-11-14, 23:44
I flashed mine and everything seems fine. Still testing all the new features. At the moment I am downloading maps for Canada through the maps application. Anyone know if it can function with an external bluetooth GPS?

Yes. It works.

johsua
2007-11-14, 23:58

I'll second that it works. I have it working with my i-Blue.

johsua
2007-11-14, 23:59
My N800 feels a little warm from the lump at the back. Very little, but still.. don't think that has happened before.

*edit*

So little in fact that I think I'm just being paranoid :rolleyes:

Mine always warmed with 2007OS - especially when I streamed radio.

Nik1
2007-11-15, 03:42
Mine always warmed with 2007OS - especially when I streamed radio.

Anyone experience any bluetooth connection drops with GPS? Seems to disconnect after a few minutes. I cant tell if this happens on purpose when you idle in one location for awhile or if its a bug.

james.bottomtooth
2007-11-15, 05:29
Yes. It works.
what exactly does it do?
shows location on the map, but does not give driving directions?
thanks

PLeBlanc
2007-11-15, 07:02
@ Traveller604

I noticed the same thing. My N800 has always been cool to the touch (well, for the three or so weeks I've had it). After putting on 2008 was the first time the rounded lump at the top has ever felt warm. (not hot, just warm, but enough to make me think of a laptop, when I never had noticed any heat before).

I am assuming it is because either a) it is downloading big maps and staying on the whole time, or b) because the processor speed has been bumped up, or c) both of the preceding.

But despite my initial concern, for the last 8 hours it has been cranking through and actually cooled back down. It is still running 2008 and still running a few different processes, and still downloading big maps, but it isn't hot anymore. (it *had* been doing these things in my pocket earlier in the night, as opposed to on a desk now).

But either way, I know I won't get complaints from my 8 year old like he does when he uses the macbook and it burns his lap it is so hot!

anidel
2007-11-15, 07:55
I second Reggie: this is still a beta firmware even if slightly newer than the one he has on his review tablet.
So let's all be careful. If there's a bug in the USB handling (either 1.1 or 2.0, I don't care), let's just don't use it for the time being (after all, it'll be for a few days) and let's stick with a card reader or WiFi or Bluetooth.

I also want to point out to Jupex that it was not Reggie's fault, the leakage. Not even Thoughtfix's one.
Some of us were able to get it without even enter the MAC address and many people got the MAC address from other sources rather than only the Thoughtfix's dmesg output.

Speaking about the GPS (in previous threads), I used it yesterday with my cheap BT GPS and it worked flawlessly, but it was really useless.
It only tells that you are somewhere in a town.
It does not even tell you in WHICH road you are!
It just shows you the map with the roads (and NO NAME) and the POIS (just the icons of course).

As it is, it is useless.
Could someone prove me wrong ?

TA-t3
2007-11-15, 11:50
For the record, my OS2007 N800 will sometime get a little warm at the hump. It depends on what your're doing with it. Internet radio seems to be one of those things.

torx
2007-11-15, 16:43
I bricked it while flashing the first time round. It went into an infinite loop.

So i reflashed it again, and it worked flawlessly. =)

Texrat
2007-11-16, 05:06
I bricked it while flashing the first time round. It went into an infinite loop.

So i reflashed it again, and it worked flawlessly. =)

You've discovered the "let's shake out the halfhearted noobs" feature.

Kidding! I swear!

epertinez
2007-11-16, 07:51
I had the USB problem yesterday when I connected my OS2008N800 against my computer with USB. It never got a problem but yesterday my desktop connected in a funny slow motion way and I'd got to restart the whole machine.

Anyway, I don't wanna leak any info about the OS 2008 but it is far beyond the other OSes. Good job!!!

markku
2007-11-16, 08:11
For the record, my OS2007 N800 will sometime get a little warm at the hump. It depends on what your're doing with it. Internet radio seems to be one of those things.

I have same warming in N800 when using Skype with OS2007.

juahan
2007-11-16, 15:36
I have same warming in N800 when using Skype with OS2007.

I also experienced this warming up with OS2007. I some how thought that it was something to do with wlan being on long periods of time, as I didn't notice the warmth before I started to use it with wlan for longer at time.

torx
2007-11-17, 12:41

Exactly! I was humping the N800 and it started to get warm and I was all worried.

O wait, what were we on again..?

TA-t3
2007-11-17, 15:58
Darn.. my excuse for choice of term is that it had been used previously already! A non-native speaker will use a mental cut&paste all the time when looking for English terms you know.. ;) :D

Benson
2007-11-19, 16:26
I don't call it hump, but if you look at the slim profile with that graceful swell...

Anatomical terms left to the reader's imagination.
Let's just say for all the N810's thinness, the N800 is still the most curvaceous internet tablet around.

technut
2007-12-02, 06:37
This was a warning about the first N810 version and likely does not apply to the current N810 or N800 beta versions.