PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life in 2008

Tuxedosteve
2007-11-15, 14:18
Has anyone noticed a decrease in battery life after flashing to 2008? I charged mine fully last night. I used it for about 50 minutes on the train to work (BTDUN connection). A very short period of wifi use around lunchtime and about an hour of use this afternoon.

The battery meter is currently reporting 2 days standby and less than an hour of in use time left. Now this is easily enough for my train journey home (And I planned to use my EEE on the way home tonight anyway) but it's definately a noticable amount less than I'm used to.

Although all in all I'd rather have the extra speed and responsiveness of OS2008 than the extra battery life anyway.

anidel
2007-11-15, 14:22
I think it's just saying "if you continue to use it the way you were using it lately, you'll get one hour of time before the battery dies".
The former indicator looks like was kind of cheating...

ShyBoy
2007-11-15, 14:22
I also noticed the same, it is getting warmer and consuming more battery.

Infact Whole night last night it was on charger, usually it is on full charge when I wake up in the morning, but today, it was still charging, it was full 7 hours charging,

Still charging didn't get this, maybe thats another bug. I mean it was not charging but showing charging icon.

BTW It was turned off while charging.

Tuxedosteve
2007-11-15, 14:34
I think it's just saying "if you continue to use it the way you were using it lately, you'll get one hour of time before the battery dies".
The former indicator looks like was kind of cheating...

You may be right. We probably just have a more accurate battery indicator now. It's not a problem for me. I don't think I've ever managed to drain the battery in a normal days usage. I don't use it as a media device. Just for web access mostly.

anidel
2007-11-15, 14:46
I also noticed the same, it is getting warmer and consuming more battery.

Infact Whole night last night it was on charger, usually it is on full charge when I wake up in the morning, but today, it was still charging, it was full 7 hours charging,

Still charging didn't get this, maybe thats another bug. I mean it was not charging but showing charging icon.

BTW It was turned off while charging.

Weird, I've been using like hell in the last days, but never noticed it getting warmer.
I also think they enabled speed stepping support in the kernel, so that it is going full speed (400Mhz) when required and THUS being a bit warmer.
But I never noticed it.

Crussader
2007-11-16, 08:53
I've been experimenting this also... I don't feel it warmer but I can tell that the battery life is shorter... a lot... I fully charged the N800 yesterday and used it for about an hour... and now it's telling me "Battery low" :(

Maybe this firmware needs a bit more polish on the battery side...

N770-Freak
2007-11-16, 09:25
mmmh. I don't have the feeling that battery life got shorter (quite the contrary). After I flashed my N800 with OS2008 (battery wasn't full), I was playing around several hours until I got a notification that battery is empty.

Did you install any 3rd-party applications? Perhaps one application doesn't let the N800 goto sleep and drains the battery! I had this problem with OS2007. I didn't know which application it was, but after a clean reflash the N800 behaved normal again.

Someone else who has the feeling that battery life got longer?

anidel
2007-11-16, 09:38
Sometimes daemons go crazy and start looping. When they do, the CPU is never idle and the power saving options will never be activated.
When this happens the CPU is always running at full speed (and this time it really means it, 400Mhz and not the 320Mhz always low power mode as with OS2007) and it can be hotter (even if slightly) than previously (when running OS2007).
This, of course, drains the battery faster. A lot faster.

When you feel it hotter or somehow slower, turn it off and on again (or if you know the Terminal, try to find out the process and kill it, it will, hopefully, restart).

Mara
2007-11-16, 13:01
Someone else who has the feeling that battery life got longer?

Mine feels definitely longer, but I'm using "official beta image for N800"... not the hacked one... :p

loaderr
2007-11-20, 00:33
Could this be related to the fact that IT2008 is still not in its final phase ? why dont we just wait until the final release to see how everything might work then :)

636cc of fury
2007-11-20, 00:50
i feel that the battery life has actually gotten better, and the ui is definately much more polished.

iball
2007-11-20, 01:25
Well, if we could easily adjust the damnably-bright lowest backlight setting even lower, that would save battery life.
I find that - once again - Nokia made the lowest backlight setting too bright for nighttime use. While there are kernel hacks out there to get lower levels so far they've only been confirmed as working on OS2006/OS2007. I had that hack going on OS2007 myself and it was great, came in a close second behind the d-pad page-up/down web browser hack in Opera.

BarneyC
2007-11-20, 01:28
For my part I think the power management of hardware in OS2008 seems much better. BT seems to go up and down as needed and generally I get a slightly longer run time out of each charge.