View Full Version : A date for OS2008 for N800 ???

milou38
2007-11-15, 15:50
Do anyone knows when will the 0S2008 for N800 be out ? It was said that it would be available together with N810 device. Now N810 devices are available, but there is no news about OS2008 for N800. I am waiting for it because I want to use the wayfinder software !

evanjfraser
2007-11-15, 16:06
Some time in December

Khertan
2007-11-15, 16:06
n810 is not yet available

milou38
2007-11-19, 21:37
It is !

http://www.tablet-guru.com/2007/11/nokia-n810-in-stock-at-flagship-stores/

So, when the official N800 OS2008 ???

zerojay
2007-11-19, 21:46
It is !

http://www.tablet-guru.com/2007/11/nokia-n810-in-stock-at-flagship-stores/

So, when the official N800 OS2008 ???

As already said in this thread, sometime in December.

Admira
2007-11-20, 03:40
Straight from this web page: (http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010)

The OS2008 will be available for free on N800 - For the courtesy of N800 users, we will launch the online availability of the software during December with the OS2008 performance upgrade.

Hope that helps!

Dietrich
2007-11-22, 18:49
You can install OS 2008 (Release Candidate, not production!) by following steps here:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9816300-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

P.S. Pass at your own risk. Mileage may vary.

I have found it to be GREAT!

Thanks

MstPrgmr
2007-11-22, 19:43
You can install OS 2008 (Release Candidate, not production!) by following steps here:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9816300-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

P.S. Pass at your own risk. Mileage may vary.

I have found it to be GREAT!

Thanks

Um, no. You can install the same exact OS 2008 on your N800 as the N810 users are using right now. It is same EXACT version.

Saturn
2007-11-22, 23:40
IMHO: This 'leaked' version is quite bad in the sense that there is no more that much pressure to release the 'proper'..

Anyway, soon...

amigokin
2007-11-22, 23:51
Just like Duke Nukem Forever, It is going to be release "When it's done".

merovingian
2007-11-24, 20:15
Um, no. You can install the same exact OS 2008 on your N800 as the N810 users are using right now. It is same EXACT version.

How in the world can it be the "same exact version"? The leaked version that i put on my N800 and took off after a while was abysmal in most areas. Youtube was much better, but that was it. Everything else that mattered to me on OS 2007 wasn't there. No FM, Skype (yet, but why is it a different version), BT stereo, every website i went to crashed, multimedia was still pathetic at best (still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)....and so on.

It looked like an unfinished beta that was leaked. I don't think that the leaked P.O.S we N800 users went to hades and back to install is wholly the finished and polished version on the N810.

YoDude
2007-11-24, 21:09
How in the world can it be the "same exact version"? The leaked version that i put on my N800 and took off after a while was abysmal in most areas. Youtube was much better, but that was it. Everything else that mattered to me on OS 2007 wasn't there. No FM, Skype (yet, but why is it a different version), BT stereo, every website i went to crashed, multimedia was still pathetic at best (still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)....and so on.

It looked like an unfinished beta that was leaked. I don't think that the leaked P.O.S we N800 users went to hades and back to install is wholly the finished and polished version on the N810.

>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96444#post96444

It is the same version everyone else reports works well on the N800.

The programs you are missing are exactly why it will be officially released sometime in December. Perhaps by then it will have more support for programs used by current N800 owners. :)

New N810 owners get to wait just like we did when the N800 was released...

I think that's what Nokia calls the "Internet Tablet experience". :D

Texrat
2007-11-24, 21:19

Wow.

Funny, that doesn't come close to describing my experience with the unfinished versions. Amazing how that happens.

And I think I better understand why we don't officially release beta versions now. Sheesh.

636cc of fury
2007-11-25, 05:03
I feel that the unreleased os2008 works fine. I flashed just before I traveled to LA and the os was very stable, movies worked great in ukmp, as did fbreader. The battery life is incredible, as I only had to charge it once in the entire 8 days I was there. BT networking was great for browsing in the car and looking up stuff. All in all it was a great experience and I didn't even take my laptop (dell latitude d420) out the entire time I was there.

blakboy98
2007-11-25, 05:15
i to have had nothing but a great experience with os2008 on my n800. browsing is much better in comparison to os2007 for me. youtube works much better. and i still have kagu, gpe syncing with gcalender, vpn, rdesktop, etc... i did hope i'd have a2dp, not just with kagu, but no luck there.

namtastic
2007-11-25, 07:49
@texrat, funny, I read that as exactly why you *should* release betas.

Nokia has an open platform in the ITs, they're releasing a new *operating system* upgrade, but each model gets handled like a new phone with yet another firmware variant on it.

They're not controlling expectations properly as a result, nor are they giving computer developers the process they're used to -- installing and testing on existing hardware before a final release.

As a Preview Release or Early Adopter Release of OS2008 on my N800, it's fantastic, and I *definitely* don't want to go back. But I read everything I could find about its development, and my expectations were well set.

Ah well, they're new -- they'll figure out this whole "computer business" eventually. :D

Texrat
2007-11-25, 09:52
nam, I was being a bit facetious. But if you saw the post to which I responded from my perspective, though, you'd see the frustration, too. That's not beta-grade feedback, it's unrealistic grousing ("POS"??? please.).

I'd love for the OS to go through at least a slightly broader testing phase, including some sort of public beta--- but if people are going to cavalierly rip into an OS version under the given install circumstances, well... I can maybe see why it doesn't. Note for the record that I have zero responsibility in that regard, in case someone reads the wrong thing into my comments.

Noneus
2007-11-25, 10:04
divx/xvid is old news. Use h264. Every Ipodversion of Podcasts I downloaded played without any problems.

JeffElkins
2007-11-25, 15:16
(still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)

Gotta agree with you on this point. Given the popularity of the DivX/Xvid I'm really puzzled that the codec wasn't included in OS2008. Especially given that Xvid is free.

aflegg
2007-11-25, 15:58
Given the popularity of the DivX/Xvid I'm really puzzled that the codec wasn't included in OS2008. Especially given that Xvid is free.

Why do you say it isn't? DivX/Xvid plays back perfectly as a codec: it's just bitrate and resolution which can cause problems.

All the media converters, with the exception of Nokia's ITVC, output DivX/Xvid files; this "it doesn't play DivX" meme is just plain wrong. It should be "it doesn't play a random DivX I downloaded from BitTorrent" :-)

GeneralAntilles
2007-11-25, 17:23
I feel that the unreleased os2008 works fine. I flashed just before I traveled to LA and the os was very stable, movies worked great in ukmp, as did fbreader. The battery life is incredible, as I only had to charge it once in the entire 8 days I was there. BT networking was great for browsing in the car and looking up stuff. All in all it was a great experience and I didn't even take my laptop (dell latitude d420) out the entire time I was there.

Just did a week out in Cali for Thanksgiving, too. Took my trusty N800 with OS2008 out with me (along with two extra batteries from my 770s :D) and it was a dream. I was missing xchat a bit with the long layover in Atlanta, but media playback with UKMP and the latest mplayer beta was fantastic, and FBReader was wonderful (as always :)) after I ran out of movies (dystopia for the win: A Scanner Darkly, Children of Men, Blade Runner and 1984).

Browsing under OS2008 has been wonderful so far. I'm really digging the improved MicroB (and thank goodness for good 3g coverage in Atlanta, tmobile can go fall off a cliff). It's much faster and more stable than the OS2007 version.

Thanks for the early beta, Nokia! :)

One happy customer

Mara
2007-11-25, 17:49
Don't recall if anyone has reported a problem where the Google search quick launch desktop item can not be moved on OS2008? All the other desktop items can be moved easily... but the Google one just can't. (But in few cases I have managed to tap drag it... but very rarely...)

If someone else can confirm this... and if so I'll open a bug.

convulted
2007-11-25, 18:24
Mara: I didn't have the problem myself.

technut
2007-11-25, 18:25
Google search quick launch desktop item can not be moved on OS2008?It moves just as easily as the other desktop applets for me. At one point I was having trouble moving the Clock applet, it kept launching about 80% of the time, but a reboot fixed it. You may be seeing the same kind of thing.

Texrat
2007-11-25, 18:33
Mara: I didn't have the problem myself.

Me either.

convulted
2007-11-25, 18:50
Maybe Mara has a virus :D

Rebski
2007-11-25, 18:50
Google search quick launch desktop item can not be moved on OS2008?
Generally I can extend it and shorten it but not move it.

But then sometimes I can move it but it requires a technique that I cannot replicate at will. The transparency effect needs to be made solid (white) and then it can be moved but only if the stylus is away from the 'grab' marks at the extreme right. However the solid white normally only appears when those grab marks are tapped. The trick is to get it solid by tapping away from the grab marks. Sometimes I can get it, mostly not.

So I would hazard a guess that it is a bug.

convulted
2007-11-25, 18:57
Weird. Which firmware are you (and Mara) using: the latest one (19) or the original leaked version (18)?

Mara
2007-11-25, 19:06
Weird. Which firmware are you (and Mara) using: the latest one (19) or the original leaked version (18)?

It seem to affect all the firmwares I have tried. (And that is several more than most of you think... :D) In fact I have not tried neither of the 18 or 19... :p

UPDATE: I just noticed that now the clock applet has the same problem... :confused:

Mara
2007-11-25, 19:18
It moves just as easily as the other desktop applets for me. At one point I was having trouble moving the Clock applet, it kept launching about 80% of the time, but a reboot fixed it. You may be seeing the same kind of thing.

I tried rebooting and the first time I tried to move it, it worked, but only once that first time...

Yes, the clock applet is having the same issue now.

Greyghost
2007-11-25, 19:23
Don't recall if anyone has reported a problem where the Google search quick launch desktop item can not be moved on OS2008? All the other desktop items can be moved easily... but the Google one just can't. (But in few cases I have managed to tap drag it... but very rarely...)

If someone else can confirm this... and if so I'll open a bug.

Mara, thanks for posting this. Indeed, I've experienced the same problem, not with the Google applet because I don't use it, but with Speed Contacts and Simple Launcher. They get stuck and you can't move them...for a while, then, suddenly, they can be moved! Sounds like a bug to me.

Now, I'm just at this moment updating to the latest firmware...much restoring to do then I'll see if it continues to occur.

Rebski
2007-11-25, 19:57
I am on version 18 of leaked firmware.

I think I have figured out the technique. Use a light brushing/sweeping action with the stylus. This makes the clock applet move also, it is hard to place it precisely where you want, but it does move. Overdo the gesture and the clock launches.

Mara
2007-11-25, 20:10
Just opened a bugzilla bug #2381 for this "applets not moving" issue:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2381

Please report/vote if you are having similar issues.

Mara
2007-12-06, 02:28
Just to make this desktop applet moving issue more strange... Now I do not have any problems when moving them (44-4 firmware). :confused:

I have no idea what might have fixed it?

omegaone37
2007-12-06, 02:52
Divine intervention maybe???

Omega

Mara
2007-12-11, 02:39
Guess what? Now I'm again having hard time on moving applets!

:confused::confused::confused:

It certainly is random...

UPDATE: It seem like if the first thing you try after waking up from sleep (I had it on keylock), you try to move applets you may see this... Now, when I clicked some other menu (application) once... the applet moving started to work better... :confused: :rolleyes: