PDA

View Full Version : FM Radio N810

pfalci
2007-11-16, 21:04
Dear all, it is my first post, but I use to see the forum everyday since I bought my N800 four months ago, today I upgraded my N800 using the forum procedure, and everything is fine till now.
Just a question, one of the applets which I used to use on OS2007 was FM Radio, anyone got to use it on OS2008?
Cheers from Brazil!!!
Paulo

Reggie
2007-11-16, 21:09
You won't find the FM radio applet since the firmware you used was for the N810 which doesn't have an FM radio. I did specifically ask Nokia if they will still support the FM radio on the N800 and they said yes. I guess you have to wait for the final OS2008 firmware for the N800.

pfalci
2007-11-16, 21:11
Thanks for the info Reggie...
Paulo

ch8xy
2007-11-17, 02:35
Does the FM radio applet on N800 need Wi-Fi to work?

amigokin
2007-11-17, 02:48
Does the FM radio applet on N800 need Wi-Fi to work?

Nop, It doesn't. It has a built-in FM antenna, it doesn't need an Internet Connection :D

technut
2007-11-17, 03:28
It does need some kind of headphone plugged into the jack though because it uses that as an antenna. Without it you can't receive anything. However, the applet does let you turn the built-in speakers on anyway, if that is your preference.

Xyzo
2007-11-27, 07:00
You won't find the FM radio applet since the firmware you used was for the N810 which doesn't have an FM radio. I did specifically ask Nokia if they will still support the FM radio on the N800 and they said yes. I guess you have to wait for the final OS2008 firmware for the N800.
Could anyone here confirm whether or not the FM Radio application is available for and working with the OS2008 beta released yesterday for the N800?
TIA. The radio would definitely miss me :(

finite
2007-11-27, 07:35
Could anyone here confirm whether or not the FM Radio application is available for and working with the OS2008 beta released yesterday for the N800?

Sorry to report, there is no FM radio app in the new N800 beta :(

barry99705
2007-11-27, 07:51
It's just one more part Nokia turned into dead weight.

Xyzo
2007-11-27, 09:42
Sorry to report, there is no FM radio app in the new N800 beta :(
Have you tried to install the package on bora repository?

aflegg
2007-11-27, 12:53
It's just one more part Nokia turned into dead weight.

Eh? The OS2008 release for the N800 is intended for developers to test and release their applications.

The only people who could complain would be application developers using the FM radio, and even then it's not clear whether or not the API itself would still work (it may be only the UI missing).

What else has Nokia turned into a dead weight?

Karel Jansens
2007-11-27, 17:02
What else has Nokia turned into a dead weight?

Camera?
______

aflegg
2007-11-27, 20:46
It wasn't before?

sevo
2007-11-27, 20:51
I almost wrote "what camera?" - but then I remembered that there indeed is one, which I never saw or used except on the day I got the N800... ;-)

technut
2007-11-27, 21:23
Camera?If you'd like to see the camera become considerably more useful, please vote for Flash support (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1889) for it. Then it could be used for video chats with anyone who has a PC/Mac/anything with Flash support. And for video blogging/podcasting.

There are also many dedicated video broadcast/chat sites (Ustream.tv, Stickam, Blogtv.com, Operator11, Mogulus, Veodia, etc) and more coming online all the time.

dlhuss
2007-11-27, 21:25
I almost wrote "what camera?" - but then I remembered that there indeed is one, which I never saw or used except on the day I got the N800... ;-)

Yeah, I'm upgrading to a N800 from a 770 and really looking forward to using that webcam....

...the extra bulge in my pocket will at least impress the ladies if I can't charm them with my face on a webchat. :D

sjgadsby
2007-11-27, 21:30
If you'd like to see the camera become considerably more useful, please vote for Flash support (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1889) for it. Then it could be used for video chats with anyone who has a PC/Mac/anything with Flash support. And for video blogging/podcasting.

You and I have very different ideas of "useful".
*grin*

barry99705
2007-11-27, 21:48
Camera?
______

That's the one!

It wasn't before?

At least before I could take crappy pictures with it. Now it just collects dust from my jacket pocket.

Karel Jansens
2007-11-27, 22:04
If you'd like to see the camera become considerably more useful, please vote for Flash support (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1889) for it. Then it could be used for video chats with anyone who has a PC/Mac/anything with Flash support. And for video blogging/podcasting.

There are also many dedicated video broadcast/chat sites (Ustream.tv, Stickam, Blogtv.com, Operator11, Mogulus, Veodia, etc) and more coming online all the time.

Let me get this straight: I'd have to vote in a bug report for a hardware feature that's completely useless, because the manufacturer couldn't be bothered to check if useful software existed for it *before* they put the danged thing in my Internet Tablet?

That's what you're saying?

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-27, 22:19
... a hardware feature that's completely useless...

You know, stating extremes as part of an argument greatly diminishes one's credibility.

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Karel Jansens
2007-11-27, 23:07
You know, stating extremes as part of an argument greatly diminishes one's credibility.

Would it have been better if I'd written: "A camera that can only be used as a confusing, low-resolution mirror"?

So what can I do with the camera? Take low-res pictures? My phone already does that. Take crappy video without sound? Ditto. Twiddle it aimlessly around? My thumbs do that.

Heck, if it could be used with a simple database or note taking program to annotate said crappy pics, it'd have at least a marginal use.

I'm not complaining about the hardware, because I think the design is actually rather nifty, with the rotation an'all, but I can't do a bloody thing with it!!!

Oh, and BTW, you're not big enough to pull a Texrat on me, buddy. :cool:

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-27, 23:51
Would it have been better if I'd written: "A camera that can only be used as a confusing, low-resolution mirror"?

So what can I do with the camera? Take low-res pictures? My phone already does that. Take crappy video without sound? Ditto. Twiddle it aimlessly around? My thumbs do that.

Heck, if it could be used with a simple database or note taking program to annotate said crappy pics, it'd have at least a marginal use.

I'm not complaining about the hardware, because I think the design is actually rather nifty, with the rotation an'all, but I can't do a bloody thing with it!!!

Actually, you are complaining about the hardware of which the camera is a part.

You come across as a very unhappy individual; an unsatisfied individual, more interested in complaining and cutting down posters with smug remarks than offering constructive and pleasant conversation.

Am I wrong?

And just how big am I?

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

technut
2007-11-28, 01:55
He strikes me as someone who just has some complaints about certain aspects of the tablet. Who did he cut down anyway?

If anything, you came across as cutting someone down when you made it personal.
You know, stating extremes as part of an argument greatly diminishes one's credibility.And then you continued to make it personal in your next post too. Maybe YOU are the one who should reconsider your happiness.

amigokin
2007-11-28, 02:09

Right now the camera is useless, whether you like it or not.

BruceL
2007-11-28, 02:54
There are several uses for the camera.

--> Replacing the crappy camera in my phone with one that saves to a useful folder instead of to my phone.
--> Video calls.
--> Encouraging Nokia to add a better camera later (optical zoom or hi-res digital zoom)
--> Recording videos.
--> The possibility of the N800 being used as a scanner someday.
--> There is software for motion detection and use as a video monitor
--> Geeks can try to impress girls (It's small and look, a built in camera pops up!)
--> Be creative and a little patient; more uses will come.
--> I think Karel is working on a way to connect it to a database or note-taking program!

heavyt
2007-11-28, 03:11

There are also many dedicated video broadcast/chat sites (Ustream.tv, Stickam, Blogtv.com, Operator11, Mogulus, Veodia, etc) and more coming online all the time.It got my vote. Better than complaining about what it should have been. Thanks for the link technut

barry99705
2007-11-28, 03:19

--> Replacing the crappy camera in my phone with one that saves to a useful folder instead of to my phone.
--> Video calls.
--> Encouraging Nokia to add a better camera later (optical zoom or hi-res digital zoom)
--> Recording videos.
--> Geeks can try to impress girls (It's small and look, a built in camera pops up!)
--> I think Karel is working on a way to connect it to a database or note-taking program!

As it stands right now with the 810 firmware, it doesn't do any of this, and may not when the full supported firmware is out. With the older firmware it did some of these things, barely.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 11:25
He strikes me as someone who just has some complaints about certain aspects of the tablet. Who did he cut down anyway?

Quite simply: an observation that I've noticed on many occasions.

If anything, you came across as cutting someone down when you made it personal.
And then you continued to make it personal in your next post too. Maybe YOU are the one who should reconsider your happiness.

Indeed, this is something that I did, and should do. However, my questions remain.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

luca
2007-11-28, 11:28

if it was bigger, larger and vibrating, maybe, but as it is now I doubt it could impress any girl.
:D

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 11:29
Right now the camera is useless, whether you like it or not.

Perhaps at the moment, but "a hardware feature that's completely useless," it is not.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

promethh
2007-11-28, 13:11
Awww... the camera in the N800 and N810 isn't entirely useless.

I was born with an appendix. As far as I can tell, it's useless. Unlike my appendix, the N8x0 takes crappy, low-res pictures with some truly bizarre light and color balances. I can't do that with my appendix!

When I had my N800, I used to pop out the camera and play with it on occasion. I might have taken about 4-5 pictures in 3 months with it. As far as I can tell, *nothing* supports the camera yet on the N810, but it looks really pretty under the ambient light sensor! :)

Schprlock
2007-11-28, 13:24
I am sorry to agree that the camera is absolutly useless, as the cameras in all but the best mobile phones. It's just a way for the brands to increase the apparent value for money without increasing production costs.
If the quality was even close to usable, the camera would be a nice addition, but that would cost money. That is why even the cheapest phones have a camera - people wouldn't buy them if they didn't have one because they would cost the same, but nobody ever uses the camera.
It does not add to the cost, so we shouldn't complain, but it actually makes the device (N800) bigger.
Anyway, wasn't this talk about the FM radio? :)
Any news regarding that?

Xyzo
2007-11-28, 15:14
I am sorry to agree that the camera is absolutly useless, as the cameras in all but the best mobile phones. It's just a way for the brands to increase the apparent value for money without increasing production costs.
BTW am I wrong or the facility to save a video with OS2007 has disappear?! I'm using Camera vers. 2.9 and I don't have anymore the icon for the video, only the one for saving pictures :mad: Do you all have the same?

Anyway, wasn't this talk about the FM radio? :)
Any news regarding that?
Yes, any news regarding the FM Radio application on OS2008? Could anyone running ITOS2008 try to install the .deb working for OS2007?
TIA.

Karel Jansens
2007-11-28, 17:11

--> Video calls.
--> Recording videos.

- What video calls do you make?
- The database-with-pictures: I so wish I could program, because that would be the first thing I'd make for the N800.

All the other things you mention are actually wish lists, and if wish lists could make something less useless, terms like "vapourware" would not exist.

I do like how you manage to get a positive spin on this thing, but I've been saying since the days of the 770 that the Internet Tablets don't need a crappy camera, and that there's not enough room for a decent one. I guess that, by adding one to the N8X0, Nokia proved me right.

Now, if they had made more than a token effort to get acceptable video call functionality in the tablet as well, I might be more lenient towards them. But Nokia dumped a camera in the tablet, and then did nothing anymore. That sucks and is actually quite offensive to your user base.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 17:43
Now, if they had made more than a token effort to get acceptable video call functionality in the tablet as well, I might be more lenient towards them. But Nokia dumped a camera in the tablet, and then did nothing anymore. That sucks and is actually quite offensive to your user base.

Hopefully future software uses some type of a filter to mitigate the grain and colour issues that the N8xx camera's are plagued with. Not an ideal solution, but certainly better than having to put up with low-quality output. Maybe a single shared library update will solve this problem.

Can anyone supply 'ldd' output on software that uses the camera? It is an open platform and if the problem is indeed seeded in a shared library, perhaps this can (relatively) easily patched.

Oh, and Karel, I apologize for my personal remarks towards you. It was in bad taste, I regret having done it, and I value your opinions and conversation.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Karel Jansens
2007-11-28, 17:57
Hopefully future software uses some type of a filter to mitigate the grain and colour issues that the N8xx camera's are plagued with. Not an ideal solution, but certainly better than having to put up with low-quality output. Maybe a single shared library update will solve this problem.

Can anyone supply 'ldd' output on software that uses the camera? It is an open platform and if the problem is indeed seeded in a shared library, perhaps this can (relatively) easily patched.

Oh, and Karel, I apologize for my personal remarks towards you. It was in bad taste, I regret having done it, and I value your opinions and conversation.

You don't have to apologize if I wasn't offended. I don't *****foot around on forums myself and I've always gone by the premiss that I should be able to take what I diss out myself.

But thanks, mate.

Karel Jansens
2007-11-28, 17:59
Okay, look here, moderator. P-U-S-S-Y is a perfectly normal word, without any sexual meaning whatsoever in this expression. Get your filters together, goddammit!!!

Karel Jansens
2007-11-28, 18:01
And, interestingly, "goddammit" doesn't get censored. I'm getting f**king tired of having to comply to someone else's ethics whenever I compose a message.

If you're going to filter out sexually-tinted words, you'd better filter out the religeous ones as well, or don't filter at all.

Texrat
2007-12-18, 08:12
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I can think of SO many things that might mean... and none of them good... :eek::D

Red
2007-12-18, 09:01
SO, just how big *are* you? ;)

Anyway, schoolboy humour aside, I think that the camera has - as it stands - limited utility. However, there is potential for it to be a lot more useful, all it needs is someone with the talent (not me) to code it.

I'm on the N800, not N810 and I do use the camera on occasion for "scanning" documents. The pictures then go into the same folder as my meeting notes so I can remind myself what they looked like. Admittedly the documents aren't readable, but the titles usually are, and that's enough to jog my memory.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-18, 09:41
I can think of SO many things that might mean... and none of them good... :eek::D

You know -- neither can I. ;)

So you decided to show up again, eh? :D Oh, and thx for exhuming a long-deceased, very stinky thread. :rolleyes:

Red
2007-12-18, 12:06
D'oh, didn't notice the resurrection. My bad.