PDA

View Full Version : install bash

chw
2006-01-25, 20:01
hallo - i download the programm and run the installer ( no failure) but in x-term (sudo gainroot) i cannot start the bash - please help
thanks.
chw

rattis
2006-04-02, 23:58
If you still need help chw

you need to qualify the full path. on mine it's /var/lib/install/usr/bin
I usually cd to that directory and then type ./bash

Yes there are better ways to do it, but I'm still setting up, I've only had it for about 24 hours now.

rattis
2006-04-04, 22:26
just for help reasons, because it drove me nuts when I first installed it and was trying to run it.... Above you can see my first work around.

Some people say to create a .profile with the /var/lib/install/usr/ (lib and bin I think) added onto your $PATH. I didn't try that, because you either have to copy to another computer edit, and copy back, or have an editor installed.

If you have flashed to rd and back in order to get root, then you can get a little dirty and messy. As root I went to where the package was saved at and typed: dpkg -x packagename. I got this idea from the notes for vim-tiny (which I still haven't installed). When you do that, it installs bash into /usr/bin. There is a small downside to this, it won't work with every package. A few packages I tried it with didn't like it when I tried it because their scripts pointed back to the /var area. However editing those scripts seems to work (ok the package I had problems with was kismet). I wouldn't advise trying this with the xterm program however just because I don't know what to expect, and reflashing back to the original software isn't something I want to do (nor is going to Nokia with a brick).

Your mileage may vary, practice at your own risk