PDA

View Full Version : ToIP and cellular contracts

Gourmet
2006-01-26, 15:00
Hi,

As I recently upgraded my (E)GPRS data quota for using more my 770 as a mobile tablet (mail & news readering, surf and *casting) I was more concerned about the small lines in the contract.
In fact this text explicitly forbids the use of the data line for such things as VoIP and streaming.
He, he !
So where is the interest of a mobile (and light) if you cannot use it for mobility actions ?
Of course I understant the operator's policy: not to compete with its own services of voice and streaming (above i-mode for the concerned operator).
That's why it could be VERY interesting to be able in the ToIP applications to tunnel them inside SSH or anything else in order to avoid the operator to be able to see anything.
Of course it's always possible to establish a tunnel that the ToIP protocol goes through (that's the way I work with the mail reader since I don't want to publish my IMAP service) but it would be far more convenient if it would be a feature of the ToIP UA itself in accordance with the ToIP PABX itself of course.

I'm currently looking towards OpenWengo for such features but OpenWengo doesn't exist yet for the 770.

What do you think about that point ?

db