PDA

View Full Version : Order Direct from Nokia - $409.99

ajax1
2007-11-19, 21:48
Nokia has the N810 in stock and ready to ship as per my verification phone call one hour ago.

If you ask you can get a $75 discount making price $409.99.
Free Fedex shipping. You will probably also have to pay sales tax.

Nokia's number is 888-665-4228 (do a google search to confirm this is really Nokia if you wish). Choose option 1, option 2, option 1

Phone is shipped throught letstalk.com.

Nokia does some wierd validation checking. They will ask for your Social Security Number and maybe some other non-standard stuff.

I ordered mine on Friday Nov 16. At that time Nokia said they were back ordered. Today Nov 19, I got an email with tracking number for Nov 21 delivery.

icerabbit
2007-11-19, 22:08
Thanks for the heads up about availability.

Nokia does some wierd validation checking. They will ask for your Social Security Number and maybe some other non-standard stuff.

Eh. What?!?! :eek: That makes absolutely no sense. Why in the world would they need a SSN for the sale of an IT? A person's SSN should only be used for employment and tax purposes. I know a lot of businesses & some official instances like to get the number for credit and background checks, but I refuse to buy into that. It is the number one key to getting your identity stolen when some database is compromised, sensitive laptop stolen, ...

Rocketman
2007-11-19, 22:53
They would not take my order without giving my COMPLETE social security number. That any business has any need for my social is completely bogus. They can verify my credit using my name, credit card information, phone number and shipping/billing address. They tried to belay my fears by saying "It is just input into our system to generate questions that only you would know the answer to and is deleted immediately afterwards" and "The system we use is called Verid and is used by many fortune 500 companies including Macy's." I don't care if it is used by Macy's or not, even if the data were deleted immediately after use (which I have no way of verifying) there is no way in hell I am reading my social security number out to some random call center worker. The manager even called back 5 minutes after I hung up to try to assuage my fears and pry the information out of me. She had no rational responses to any of my questions. She even used a line about 90% of people carrying their ss #'s around in the wallets, which could get stollen too, so whats the big deal anyways...

realcomix
2007-11-19, 23:03
let us know if you actually get it.... cuz that ssn crap is ..well... crap. they dont need to know nothin its a friggin geek toy leave us alone!

YoDude
2007-11-19, 23:07
Did you see that "60 Minutes" piece about call centers that are outsourced to State and Federal Penitentiaries?

Yeeeesh!

I don't blame you... Refuse at all costs. Even if it is a valid means of ID and your dealing with a reputable company, this practice sets up a "norm" in public expectations...

When it becomes a "normal practice" for large corporations to ask for this info, it will make it easier for scam artists in the future to wheedle that info out of Mom's and Pop's.

Refuse to make it the "norm".

Their state of the art, ID system was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned

Rocketman
2007-11-19, 23:15
let us know if you actually get it.... cuz that ssn crap is ..well... crap. they dont need to know nothin its a friggin geek toy leave us alone!

You don't understand, they won't let you place an order without that information. They also said that they were implementing the same system on their website, although I have never experienced that before. It is no sweat off my back, I will just order from Amazon or someone instead. All that means is that they have lost a direct customer with accompanying higher profit margins.

coastalguy
2007-11-19, 23:44
I went through a similar and painful experience with Let's Talk (aren't they connected with Nokia in some way?).

They also required my SSN. I balked at first, but then I decided to go through it, since I couldn't wait any longer for my order from buy.com. The terrible part of all of this started when they couldn't find me in Verid. They needed verification of my identity and credit before completing the order. I called them every day for 6 days, since no one seemed to actively helping me. Finally, I gave them the phone number of my personal banker (where i'm a premium customer), spoke with my credit card company who called me about the order, and it was after much wrangling that the manager granted me an exemption. I now have my E90 but sheesh, what an experience.

icerabbit
2007-11-19, 23:52
That makes me want to pick up the phone to place an order, collect some names and get in touch with Nokia HQ why they won't accept my order. After all they get the money guaranteed through the credit card company. They are not putting me on payroll, paying/providing me any social benefits, ...

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=78&p_created=955482891&p_sid=ODbNs9Ri&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAsMTAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTE2LDM1JnB fcHY9JnBfY3Y9Mi4zNSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc 2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

A SSN is required/requested by: * IRS * Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes * States for the school lunch program * Banks for monetary transactions * Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number * Department of Labor for workers’ compensation * Department of Education for Student Loans * States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or drivers license law within its jurisdiction * States for child support enforcement * States for commercial driver’s licenses * States for Food Stamps * States for Medicaid * States for Unemployment Compensation * States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families * U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

[b]I really wish there were a law prohibiting companies from demanding SSN. Even county goverments. And it should be free to block access to your credit info & SSN.[b]

Our SSN info has been compromised twice in the past few years, and let me tell you, it is nerve wrecking. Every US veteran has been exposed through VA breaches. We just got new credit cards from one bank/issuer because one big retailer's database was hacked. They didn't want to say who, probably to avoid a backlash against the merchant.

One time my wife and I wanted to adopt a stray kitten from the county shelter. They insisted on both our SSN! No SSN = no kitten. They rather euthanize the poor thing!! Last spring I ordered a propane tank refill. SSN please. I point people every time to the SSA statements; and if they don't respond promptly that it's just a stupid policy and skip it. I walk away. Goodbye and good luck.

xxM5xx
2007-11-19, 23:58
There is no way I am giving my correct social security number to any retailer, online merchant, etc. If they ask, I say, "you don't need that", and if they insist, I tell them to go pound sand. Anyone who considers giving their soc. sec. number to anyone but an employer, your local bank or the gov. has rocks in their head.

Just say no!

ArnimS
2007-11-20, 00:35
Lacking a legal mandate to demand your social security number, i'm not aware of any legal obligation for you to supply the correct social security number to them.

Some websites ask me for my home address, income, occupation, hobbies, sex, etc. I view these as 'creative writing' opportunities...

Speaking of legality, it has not ever been made clear to me what part of the constitution grants the federal government the authority to force me to take part in a government-run pension program, but I digress.

Rocketman
2007-11-20, 00:41
Arnims, you could supply them a bogus ss # to them, but it wouldn't do you any good. The ss # is input into a service called Verid (owned by EMC now) which generates questions that only you should be able to answer. I would be curious to hear what sort of questions people have had to answer. Regardless, I am not at all comfortable with giving out my ss # for almost any purpose.

heron61
2007-11-20, 00:43
Lacking a legal mandate to demand your social security number, i'm not aware of any legal obligation for you to supply the correct social security number to them.That sounds like a useful trick to try. I'm fairly certain that Nokia (or any other retailer) is in absolutely no position to access any records where they could check the number you give them, and you are not committing a crime in giving them the wrong one, so that definitely seems like the way to go. Given that $409.99 is an excellent price, I'm definitely considering going that route.

neoluddite
2007-11-20, 00:53
Speaking of legality, it has not ever been made clear to me what part of the constitution grants the federal government the authority to force me to take part in a government-run pension program, but I digress.

I'm guessing that will come to a head in our life time. I've written off any potential proceeds from that Ponzi, err, investment program along with most other ideas designed to increase the dole.
Be prepared to swallow a lot of "It's in the best interest" crap before all is said and done.

Fun hardware is so much less depressing.

smackpotato
2007-11-20, 01:02
I think ill give them my power of attorney over my bank account. Something smells Phishy with this whole thread.

flipside94
2007-11-20, 01:05
$409 is a great price, but for SS#, it kinda sucks...has anyone tried a fake ss#?

smammon
2007-11-20, 01:21
I talked this over with a couple of friends after I was similarly creeped out. One of my friends has actually written a little program on his PDA that generates valid ssn's on request just to make his point when someone asks for his.

After discussing it for a bit all we can come up with is that the tablet or something in it must be considered restricted tech. (Guessing the GPS) I.e. not for sale outside the US and certain other countries. The ssn just gives them access to all sorts of other data for the "security questions". I've encountered this on an organizational level before on some items. First time it's happened personally.

theflew
2007-11-20, 01:22
I think this is standard practice when buying a cell phone whether it's in person or online to ask for a SSN. Fraud is high with cell phone purchases. I think Letstalk doesn't realize the IT is not a cell phone. The questions they ask just verify you are who you claim you are. If you've ever purchased an online credit report they ask the same type of information to verify your identity.

theflew
2007-11-20, 01:24
I talked this over with a couple of friends after I was similarly creeped out. One of my friends has actually written a little program on his PDA that generates valid ssn's on request just to make his point when someone asks for his.

After discussing it for a bit all we can come up with is that the tablet or something in it must be considered restricted tech. (Guessing the GPS) I.e. not for sale outside the US and certain other countries. The ssn just gives them access to all sorts of other data for the "security questions". I've encountered this on an organizational level before on some items. First time it's happened personally.

Having a valid SSN (but not yours) doesn't matter, because you are asked questions based on the credit data it returns which you wouldn't be able to answer. Probably just gets you blacklisted for fraud.

poser
2007-11-20, 01:25
Pretty annoying, huh?

I would be curious to hear what sort of questions people have had to answer.

I was asked to provide similar information about three weeks ago after attempting to purchase an AT&T prepaid phone card (for international calls on an AT&T mobile phone). They called me up at about 3am (I had made the online purchase at midnight or thereabouts), and asked me for information to "...generate a list of questions to which only I would know the answers." Sounds like the same service.

HOWEVER, they only asked for the last four digits of my SSN.

Which I gave them. Either because I was half-asleep or because...at this stage in the game, I figure you can get the last four digits of my SSN from the goddam Yellow Pages.

Anyway, the list of questions they generated was hilarious. They asked four true/false questions regarding whether or not I had ever "owned or leased property" in a given US county. The answer, in all cases, was "no." That was deemed sufficient information to authenticate me as myself.

On the upside, I have not been robbed blind by some con artist in a basement with a telephone and an Asterisk box.... Yet.

-Poser

smammon
2007-11-20, 01:28
Having a valid SSN (but not yours) doesn't matter, because you are asked questions based on the credit data it returns which you wouldn't be able to answer. Probably just gets you blacklisted for fraud.

Ya, true in this case - but it's fun to watch the idiot behind the deli counter stutter when they ask for an SSN as ID for your check and you just create one on the spot... :D

johnkzin
2007-11-20, 01:39
Lacking a legal mandate to demand your social security number, i'm not aware of any legal obligation for you to supply the correct social security number to them.

You don't have an obligation to give them the information.

However,

They don't have an obligation to accept your transaction.

sparkbox
2007-11-20, 01:41
I didn't need my SSN to buy my N95-3 from the Chicago Nokia flaship store and it is a cellphone and has GPS! I didn't need a SSN to buy my N810 from mobilecityonline.com! So why would does Nokia need it to buy over the phone.

I could see having to provide my SSN if I was buying a cellphone with a service plan and they needed it for a credit check. But there is not one reason why you need to use a SSN to purchase a N810 - it is not a cellphone so you don't use a service plan.

I paid $474 for my N810 which includes FedEx overnight this is much more preferable to me than saving $64.01 and handing out my SSN to Nokia telephone associate.

iball
2007-11-20, 01:43
Nokia - and whatever reseller they're using - can shove that SSN requirement up their asses.

They also need to be DAMN careful. One word in the right ear about a European company collecting American SSN data....buh-bye.
I'm only bitter because the entire EU community slammed the U.S. Army for trying to issue special ID cards to "Local National" civilians working for them overseas in Europe that would allow them to access the computers and networks they would need to in order to do their jobs. Took them more than two years to work that out, the lazy rat bastards.
Also, no U.S. company - or government agency - can collect and house data on EU citizens, according to the EU regs. But we all know they are.
Trust me, the first time someone with a slight foreign accent rings up a bank to query an American SSN and credit card info someone at the bank will wind up calling the cops thinking it's yet another 409 scam.
If your bank lets that slide, put your money in a better bank.

The Social Security Number was invented solely for the purpose of the Social Security Administration.
It was NEVER intended to be used as a national ID number similar to a Nazi concentration camp ID tattoo as it is today.
Do you see that number on your driver's license? No, you don't. If you do then your state is in violation of federal law.

waddell
2007-11-20, 01:58
I went ahead and bought mine, SSN be damned. The operator -- who
was very, very polite and helpful BTW -- stated that the units were
back-ordered until Nov 27.

I've placed phone orders with Nokia before, and with the exception of
whole SSN issue, the whole experience was much better than it was in the past.

A $75 dollar discount and free 2 day (UPS) shipping is a pretty good deal.
I spend a lot of money on tools and gadgets for work, so I'm somewhat numb to sticker shock. Even so, $479 was enough money that I was starting to feel some pain, so I'm glad that I was able to get it for a more comfortable price.

sparkbox
2007-11-20, 02:01

I spend a lot of money on tools and gadgets for work, so I'm somewhat numb to sticker shock. Even so, $479 was enough money that I was starting to feel some pain, so I'm glad that I was able to get it for a more comfortable price.

I will sell you my N810 for $409 and your SSN# you can have it this Wednesday.:D

smammon
2007-11-20, 02:05
I didn't need my SSN to buy my N95-3 from the Chicago Nokia flaship store and it is a cellphone and has GPS! ...

Yes but you were there in person and I bet you showed adequate ID - to at least reasonably confirm your US residency - like an IL drivers license.

Someone calling on the phone is a whole different animal - could be calling via Gizmo on their N770 from damn near anywhere... The thing that tipped us off was that they will only ship to the credit card billing address. Seems to me that would be enough though.

I know - it's STUPID but hey I don't work for the US state dept and I'm not responsible for whatever dumb *** rules they make up. In my job (IT manager) I've had to supply Dun and Bradstreet numbers, banking contacts and state and federal tax numbers for the same reasons. When I started my IT career 20+ years ago it was illegal to export Unix of any flavor because it used DES to encrypt things like passwords...

iball
2007-11-20, 02:06
This makes no sense when it's being widely-reported - by Nokia themselves even - that N810 units are in-stock in brick-n-mortar stores across the US.

NEVER give your SSN out over the phone or the internet. All they "need" actually is the last 4 of your SSN, that's more than good enough for verification. You see, in order for the SSN to be used as a verification tool, Nokia would have had to ALREADY have your SSN.
Which they don't. Which is why they asked for the whole thing.
Credit card companies and banks do NOT ask for your SSN over the phone whatsoever. Any that do you need to report them to the FDIC.
They ALREADY have your SSN on file in their systems all the ycan ask you for is your LAST FOUR digits of your SSN.

So that's how much your SSN and your entire identity is worth to you?
Man, they didn't even have to buy you dinner before they...well, you know.

That's nice.

EDIT: Screw it, I reported them to the FTC anyway.

sparkbox
2007-11-20, 02:10
Yes but you were there in person and I bet you showed adequate ID - to at least reasonably confirm your US residency - like an IL drivers license.

Someone calling on the phone is a whole different animal - could be calling via Gizmo on their N770 from damn near anywhere... The thing that tipped us off was that they will only ship to the credit card billing address. Seems to me that would be enough though.

I know - it's STUPID but hey I don't work for the US state dept and I'm not responsible for whatever dumb *** rules they make up. In my job (IT manager) I've had to supply Dun and Bradstreet numbers, banking contacts and state and federal tax numbers for the same reasons. When I started my IT career 20+ years ago it was illegal to export Unix of any flavor because it used DES to encrypt things like passwords...

Why is everyone else selling GPS's including N810 and not asking for a SSN#

Who cares if you are using a Gizmo it is still being shipped to a US location.

When I bought my N95-3 no ID was asked just gave him my credit card and I am not even from Illinois.

Ban
2007-11-20, 02:12
Nokia has the N810 in stock and ready to ship as per my verification phone call one hour ago.

If you ask you can get a $75 discount making price $409.99.
Free Fedex shipping. You will probably also have to pay sales tax.

Nokia's number is 888-665-4228 (do a google search to confirm this is really Nokia if you wish). Choose option 1, option 2, option 1

Phone is shipped throught letstalk.com.

I ordered mine on Friday Nov 16. At that time Nokia said they were back ordered. Today Nov 19, I got an email with tracking number for Nov 21 delivery.

Thanks!! I have been browsing buy and amazon for the past weeks waiting for a better deals to come around. I just ordered mine 5mins ago. total $404 with 2days free shipping and no tax.

I have no problem giving my SN, hell every mother and daughter prolly already have them..hahaha

Now, I just have to wait until somebody get Java to work on the darn thing.

thanks again.
Ban

smammon
2007-11-20, 02:18
Why is everyone else selling GPS's including N810 and not asking for a SSN#

Who cares if you are using a Gizmo it is still being shipped to a US location.

When I bought my N95-3 no ID was asked just gave him my credit card and I am not even from Illinois.

-GPS is just my guess - there is new development there currently.

-Agree totally!

-Again, in person in the US makes a huge difference. The US govt. is firmly entrenched in the 1700's. I've been personally shown and handed stuff you wouldn't believe. But call on the phone and it's an entirely different ball game. (Plus the N95 may not have had the magic gizmo that makes it restricted tech.)

All of this is totally my speculation of course. I'm not a govt. employee and don't even play one on TV.

heron61
2007-11-20, 02:19
Pretty annoying, huh?

I was asked to provide similar information about three weeks ago after attempting to purchase an AT&T prepaid phone card (for international calls on an AT&T mobile phone). They called me up at about 3am (I had made the online purchase at midnight or thereabouts), and asked me for information to "...generate a list of questions to which only I would know the answers." Sounds like the same service.

HOWEVER, they only asked for the last four digits of my SSN.

Which I gave them. Either because I was half-asleep or because...at this stage in the game, I figure you can get the last four digits of my SSN from the goddam Yellow Pages.

Anyway, the list of questions they generated was hilarious. They asked four true/false questions regarding whether or not I had ever "owned or leased property" in a given US county. The answer, in all cases, was "no." That was deemed sufficient information to authenticate me as myself.

I had something very similar happen when I recently got a new t-mobile prepaid phone. A day after I made the order, they called me up, asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN (which I find annoying, but not unacceptable, unlike asking for my full SSN) and then asked me a bunch of questions about previous places I've lived. Since I've only moved once in the past decade, they asked me questions about places I lived 14-17 years ago, which was a bit disturbing. Privacy is largely an illusion these days. OTOH, I'm still not giving people my entire SSN w/o a very good reason.

iball
2007-11-20, 02:21
I will sell you my N810 for $409 and your SSN# you can have it this Wednesday.:D

I'll sell him an N810 for only $350, but I also need his full name and address to go along with that SSN.

For "verification" purposes of course. ;)

Suckers really are born every minute.

Nobody reads newspapers anymore? Never heard of "data breaches" or "sensitive data loss"?
Let's say I run a "company" in name only. I run around selling some stupid widget, beanie babies, Elmo dolls, whatever. However, with every order I collect not only the SSN but the full names and addresses as well. Then I stage a little "data loss" incident by leaving a laptop with all that data in a "locked" (yeah, riiight) car where it's "stolen" by thieves.
Then a day later I check my little hidden dead drop to find the other half of the money said thieves owe me, but even if they didn't pay I still get to collect on the insurance! Bam! Profit!
And as long as I stay the hell away from California - like operate out of Canada or Jamaica - I don't have to inform a damn soul about the loss of their personal data.
My God, it's harder to actually rob a store at gunpoint than to do this.

iball
2007-11-20, 02:30
I had something very similar happen when I recently got a new t-mobile prepaid phone. A day after I made the order, they called me up, asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN (which I find annoying, but not unacceptable, unlike asking for my full SSN) and then asked me a bunch of questions about previous places I've lived. Since I've only moved once in the past decade, they asked me questions about places I lived 14-17 years ago, which was a bit disturbing. Privacy is largely an illusion these days. OTOH, I'm still not giving people my entire SSN w/o a very good reason.

Heh. Try living outside the U.S. for 13 consecutive years.
They don't even bother to call me to ask me anything. I inform them at the store where I setup my one-year contract (also T-Mobile) that if I ever, ever, ever, get a phone call or unwanted SMS message from them that I will physically hurt them.
So far so good. No one from T-Mobile calls me or sends unwanted SMS messages. The store is right down the street from me.

Again, in person in the US makes a huge difference. The US govt. is firmly entrenched in the 1700's. I've been personally shown and handed stuff you wouldn't believe. But call on the phone and it's an entirely different ball game. (Plus the N95 may not have had the magic gizmo that makes it restricted tech.)

You need to go back and re-read the U.S. export regs again, bucko.
If you're "just being handed stuff" like I "wouldn't believe" then it leads me to believe two things:

1. You're lying and/or exaggerating. Do you even know what a "blue card" is?

2. You're not being handed anything we "wouldn't believe", i.e. it's all unclassified and open to FOIA requests, unredacted.

And at no time, EVER, is a piece of freely-available-around-the-world consumer electronics EVER going to require a U.S. retailer to obtain SSN data from a purchaser due to non-existant U.S. Government regulations.
Just because you are anti-U.S.-government doesn't mean they don't think you're stupid.

LurkerN
2007-11-20, 02:54
I will admit that I now feel quite stupid having given Letstalk.com my SSN. I feel worse when I stop to think that even my SSN wasn't good enough; they had to call & verify my bank card info. Oh well, folly of youth. I'm sure it will be quite an adventure when I discover that my identity has been stolen for the first time. Maybe it already has *shivers*. Hopefully a low credit rating makes my identity an unattractive theft.

In the meantime I will play with my shiny new N810, as it shipped today :D

smammon
2007-11-20, 02:58
Heh. Try living outside the U.S. for 13 consecutive years.
They don't even bother to call me to ask me anything. I inform them at the store where I setup my one-year contract (also T-Mobile) that if I ever, ever, ever, get a phone call or unwanted SMS message from them that I will physically hurt them.
So far so good. No one from T-Mobile calls me or sends unwanted SMS messages. The store is right down the street from me.

You need to go back and re-read the U.S. export regs again, bucko.
If you're "just being handed stuff" like I "wouldn't believe" then it leads me to believe two things:

1. You're lying and/or exaggerating. Do you even know what a "blue card" is?

2. You're not being handed anything we "wouldn't believe", i.e. it's all unclassified and open to FOIA requests, unredacted.

And at no time, EVER, is a piece of freely-available-around-the-world consumer electronics EVER going to require a U.S. retailer to obtain SSN data from a purchaser due to non-existant U.S. Government regulations.
Just because you are anti-U.S.-government doesn't mean they don't think you're stupid.

Interesting - one minute I'm defending the govt based on my speculation. The next I'm anti-govt. Busy day... Plus I got called "Bucko" bonus points!

Congrats on your physical intimidation of your local t-mobile store too.

Who knows how a given company meets export regs. I've jumped through all shorts of hoops. The root of this is just my guess as to why the "security questions". Draw your own conclusions - Hell I'm probably wrong and I just contributed the contents of my bank account to some criminal organization - that incidentally is automatically forwarded from the Nokia corporate telephone system. It's true I have no common sense and can't tell classified material from my elbow. You've outed me.

I've grown to be somewhat of a cynic over the years - sometimes it shows. Sometimes I stay home. ;)

theflew
2007-11-20, 03:01
Nokia - and whatever reseller they're using - can shove that SSN requirement up their asses.

They also need to be DAMN careful. One word in the right ear about a European company collecting American SSN data....buh-bye.
I'm only bitter because the entire EU community slammed the U.S. Army for trying to issue special ID cards to "Local National" civilians working for them overseas in Europe that would allow them to access the computers and networks they would need to in order to do their jobs. Took them more than two years to work that out, the lazy rat bastards.
Also, no U.S. company - or government agency - can collect and house data on EU citizens, according to the EU regs. But we all know they are.
Trust me, the first time someone with a slight foreign accent rings up a bank to query an American SSN and credit card info someone at the bank will wind up calling the cops thinking it's yet another 409 scam.
If your bank lets that slide, put your money in a better bank.

The Social Security Number was invented solely for the purpose of the Social Security Administration.
It was NEVER intended to be used as a national ID number similar to a Nazi concentration camp ID tattoo as it is today.
Do you see that number on your driver's license? No, you don't. If you do then your state is in violation of federal law.

Letstalk is an American company. They are an order filler for Nokia. Letstalk has probably been burned alot by credit card fraud. Also lets be realistic SSN is used all over the place to track you, otherwise credit reports wouldn't exist.

sparkbox
2007-11-20, 03:09
Interesting - one minute I'm defending the govt based on my speculation. The next I'm anti-govt. Busy day... Plus I got called "Bucko" bonus points!

Congrats on your physical intimidation of your local t-mobile store too.

Who knows how a given company meets export regs. I've jumped through all shorts of hoops. The root of this is just my guess as to why the "security questions". Draw your own conclusions - Hell I'm probably wrong and I just contributed the contents of my bank account to some criminal organization - that incidentally is automatically forwarded from the Nokia corporate telephone system. It's true I have no common sense and can't tell classified material from my elbow. You've outed me.

I've grown to be somewhat of a cynic over the years - sometimes it shows. Sometimes I stay home. ;)

Yeah after reading some of iball's posts it seems that he/she goes a little overboard on the forum - I wouldn't worry to much about the info you gave you might want to be more cautious in the future it is not worth dealing with ID theft trust me. I have a customer that has been dealing with effects for 3 years now and it has been a real hassle for them. Not mention limiting because their credit score got screwed up in the process.

Enjoy your new 810!

icerabbit
2007-11-20, 03:14
... In the meantime I will play with my shiny new N810, as it shipped today :D

Congratulations.

treynolds
2007-11-20, 03:39
Not completely off topic, but I ordered airbags for the rear springs of my Jetta from a reputable mail order company via the interent. A couple days later my wife tries to get funds from our checking account and is told by the teller that there are no funds. She know's there's supposed to be funds there, but is told "no". She talks to our personal banker (at WAMU), who looks at the account and tracks 4 attempts to get our funds, two from Canada and two from Nigeria. The attempts from Nigeria were successful. The bastards got $1750.

They probably used a key-logger that went undetected, even though I use AdAware an SpyBot on a regular basis as well as McAfee in the background.

WAMU was good to us and restored the funds.

While not an outward case of identity theft, it does happen and a person needs to be careful. I have bought tons of stuff over the Internet, but nothing since this incident 5 months ago. If I do in the future it will be with a debit card that is not tied to my main account and that has only the funds necessary for that transaction.

I recently bought a new DSLR and lens. Instead of searching for the rock-bottom 'net price like I'd normally do, I bought it from a reputable, local brick-and-mortar. They didn't ask for my SSN or life history.

3 years ago I had someone in a nearby town order hundreds of dollars worth of stuff via a Sears Mastercard they'd set up in my name, with my SSN and their address. How they got the name and SSN is beyond me, but statistics indicaate that nearly every person in the country has had their identity compromised. I ended up with a credit-hold for three years, which CITIbank was very helpful in setting up, as well as resolving the incident and covering the funds.

In each case my security and identity is compromised and a big company takes it in the shorts (passing the costs on to the consumer). All of this is just to say that I'm not nearly as cavalier about buying things over the 'net as I once was and that we should always be wary... caveat emptor!

Tony

oldmancoyote1
2007-11-20, 03:42
I ordered an 810 from Lets Talk. What a pain. They pre-notified my credit union of upcoming charges for two 810's. So, currently my Debit Card is maxed out do to the extra 810. Then, they notified me that I hadn't gone through the Social Security Number plus 3 mystery questions process. I called them and they would not listen to my complaint. The woman I talked to didn't have a brain in her head.

When I sign off, I am going to cancel all orders. Tomorrow I'll dispute the charges with my Credit Union. Then in a few days I'll try again and ask for the $75 discount.

I expect more nonsense, but maybe eventually it may work out.

ajax1
2007-11-21, 22:48
Received the Nokia N810 today, Wednesday, Nov 21.

I had ordered it direct from Nokia (888-665-4228) for $404.99 plus tax on Friday, Nov 16.

I was originally told it was backordered until Nov 27. But on Monday, Dec 19 the received a shipment and Fedexed it to me.

Just an update to let you know Nokia probably a pretty good ordering souce for price, free delivery, shipping speed and compartitively quick restock.

Very happy with the N810 but still not so happy about the ordering SSN issue.

johnkzin
2007-11-22, 00:05
I'm a little annoyed with Nokia (well, letstalk) today.

I ordered on Monday. The nice lady did NOT say they were back ordered (I thought maybe I got lucky or something). I paid the extra $15ish for overnight delivery. At the worst, I should have had my N810 _today_.

Is it here?

No.

If they don't tell you that there's going to be a pre-shipping delay, they should eat the shipping cost of getting it to you overnight, IMO. And apologize. (that's the one that really gets me; these places never apologize for leaving out important, expectation-setting, information... bastards).

IntrepidAnitpodean2
2007-11-22, 00:38
With all the SSN gathering what does it mean for overseas buyers? Assuming I don't win the contest by ThoughtFix I'll need to start saving for one. Nokia New Zealand has no plans to sell it for the forseable future and I don't have a SSN to give Letstalk. Can I just insist I don't have one and hope they'll go through with the sale anyway?

geneven
2007-11-22, 02:10
Here's a description of the Verid process, FYI:

an individual approaches a department store counter to open an instant credit account. Obtaining the individual’s driver’s license or Social Security number, the clerk launches the Verid application, aggregating information associated with the person’s name or variants of the name from public sources such as departments of motor vehicles and county property records. From this information the Verid application provides a list of likely questions that the genuine person with that identity would be able to answer.

flipside94
2007-11-22, 09:57
So Geneven would you give you ss# up for the discount, if it seems to be harmless?

Malfaiteur
2007-11-23, 05:14
Interesting, the number I come across on the Nokia site is an 866 number...

munky261
2007-11-23, 07:38
this purchase tracking shite is getting out of hand! hell , i went into a toys r us the other day to buy a transformer and the woman asks for my phone number ... i was in a pissy mood any ways and told her hell no , the only information you need to know is the fact that im handing you the cash. its not as bad though as that facebook issue thats going on with the thing that shows everyone who views your page what youve bought online. its just ridiculous these companies needing to know every damn thing about you.

gerbick
2007-11-23, 08:47
So, care to explain exactly how to get that 75.00 discount? I'm *this* close to purchasing... just wished I could get it for under 400.00 shipped, but it looks like I'll be purchasing this one outright.

ArnimS
2007-11-23, 09:03
$409 is like 275 euro right now. Crazy.

ajax1
2007-11-23, 10:06
So, care to explain exactly how to get that 75.00 discount? I'm *this* close to purchasing... just wished I could get it for under 400.00 shipped, but it looks like I'll be purchasing this one outright.

See the 1st message in this thread

munky261
2007-11-23, 10:07
i paid a total of $522 for mine including tax at the store in chicago.

gerbick
2007-11-23, 16:24
See the 1st message in this thread

Thanks. But what I mean... what's the proper name of this discount? Just ask for it, to ask for it? Doesn't make that much of a difference to me; however if this has a proper name, I'd rather try to use that as opposed to getting caught out not knowing or just saying "I read it on a website..."

hkwilliamson
2007-11-23, 16:49
When I called Nokia on the 16th (like ajax1), I asked for the "Tampa" discount. The CSR immediately said "Yes sir, I can honor that discount". I breezed though the verification process and was charged $404.99. I was told that the N810 was on backorder until 11/26. Then on 11/19, I got email that "your order has shipped". I received my N810 on 11/21 (yesterday).

It is so much cooler than I thought it would be.

jcgam69
2007-11-23, 17:30
I called this morning. The next expected ship date is Dec. 19! Must be selling well.

johnkzin
2007-11-23, 21:09
When I called, I just said "I heard there's a $75 discount available?".

She said "yes".

I said "Can I get that?".

She said "yes." Easy peasy.

nilchak
2007-11-24, 00:24
I got mine delivered yesterday too from LetsTalk.
Before that I had gone to the Nokia Store at NYC and mentioned that Nokia "Sales Dept" was giving a $75 discount - so what about Nikia store ? All they said was even employees don't get a discount in Nokia store, sorry.

gerbick
2007-11-24, 00:51
I went ahead, called... ordered and got the discount as stated earlier... easy, peasy.

The VerID process though, a bit painful. Social Security, a few questions, and even a phone call back to me. But it's ordered, on the way (soon), and thanks to all in the thread...

jcgam69
2007-11-24, 01:05
What do you mean 'on the way soon'? Were you quoted a different ship date than Dec. 19?

johnkzin
2007-11-24, 01:27
I got mine delivered yesterday too from LetsTalk.

What day did you order? (and, are you saying yours got delivered on Thanksgiving day?)

gerbick
2007-11-24, 01:55
What do you mean 'on the way soon'? Were you quoted a different ship date than Dec. 19?

He swore at first that they were going to send out on Monday because the people in the warehouse were saying it was too late on Friday. Then he said he didn't know if the status was still back-ordered still or not.

Either way... he just said "soon... more than likely it will be sent out Tuesday."

If that's true or not, who knows. We'll see soon.

nilchak
2007-11-24, 02:57
Oh no, not Thanksgiving day - actually got it the day before thanksgiving.

I had ordered on Nov 16th, and then after the verification process they put me on backorder with estimated ship date of 26th. But they actually shiipped on Nov 19th (got the email confirm with tracking no) and finally landed on my door on 21st.

So pretty good experience.

oldmancoyote1
2007-11-24, 03:55
APOLOGIES TO *LET'S TALK* EMPLOYEES

I dumped on these folks in a previous post. Today, I called and tried again to make my purchase. Their computer system was still messed up, but the people were great! They worked their ****'s off for over an hour trying everything to make the system work. Finally, they succeeded. Way to go people!

I got the discount too. Thanks for the tip.

tinkertinker
2007-12-12, 02:02
Let's Talk sucks!

I ordered my n810 on november 16th just like Nilchak above. not only am I still waiting for it, they can't even figure out if they sent it or not. for three weeks my account said "Ready to Ship!", with the shipment date pushing forward each day. Finally last wednesday (12/5) it changed to "Shipped", via 2-day UPS. Here I am six business days later, calling them everyday, and they can't even find the tracking number. their shipping department is "closed" every time I call, and they promise to figure it out and call me back, but so far it's just me calling them. if it weren't for the discount i would just cancel the order. what a waste.

pandy
2007-12-12, 17:53
WOW. This ordering process with them is such a HASSLE.
Almost not worth saving the money. This isn't something that's worth thousands of dollars. They could simply the whole process by shipping to billing address only.

This whole verification process -- even if you're shipping to the same billing address is a joke. Plus, they stated I have to call Amex to speed up the charge by telling them there's a pending charge from them.

So far, I've been on the phone a total of 30 minutes with them.

They're also currently out-of-stock on 12/12/2007. And should be receiving another shipment by December 19th.

Btw, as of today (December 12th) -- the $75 discount is still good with free 2-day shipping.

ackbar
2007-12-12, 18:54
Has anyone tried this with Nokia's Canadian division?

icerabbit
2007-12-12, 19:07
As an aside about security questions.

Last week I placed a nice internet order (equal to several N810) with a merchant I hadn't shopped at before. Only the standard info was asked - as in billing address, mailing address, phone number & CC # - (no ID or SSN) and the next day was asked to call in to confirm my order.

During the call a live person asked me three multiple choice questions based on my credit history. I didn't have the specific credit card used long enough to have my address 5 years ago in this card's history, nor would another question have been asked via the CC ... so they get some kind of access to your credit history through the CC & address info given.

That just to say that the letstalk SSN # verification process is ... unneeded.

And calling my CC company to let them know there will be a charge? You've got to be kidding me. I did that once for a real sizable dollar amount (biggest single purchase ever with new merchant) which they probably would've objected to. But, for an internet tablet, I don't think so.

Letstalk can take a hike, afaiac.

gerbick
2007-12-12, 20:08
I went through the whole Let's Talk rigamarole and got my device finally. I'm not too concerned with their process, but if that's how it will be with other vendors sooner than later, I'll stop shopping online.

tinkertinker
2007-12-13, 01:27
sorry to keep ragging on Let's Talk, but I want people to know what they may be in for if they order through Nokia: finally, after my order was marked "shipped" for a solid week, they admitted to me that it had never shipped, and was really on backorder. I ordered it on November 16th, same day as several people above. it took me three days of calling multiple times to get this information. I cancelled my order and asked for an immediate refund. i'm happy for all you who got your tablets, but this has been extremely disappointing for me.