PDA

View Full Version : 2008 apps question

munky261
2007-11-19, 22:29
on maemo.org , why does it say kagu and ukmp work under OS2008 but when i try to install it says im missing some libs??? how can i get these to install on my N810?

Puck
2007-11-20, 02:06
I have a similar problem. Anything involving Python doesn't work for me. I just can't get Python to install - even though the Wiki says it's working. I get a message "Unable to Install. Software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system. Contact software author." Python can't install because a package "libglade 2-0" is missing. This is on a clean flash.

This is really irritating - as mentioned, the Wiki states that Python can be installed, and this was one of the main reasons I went ahead and installed os2008. I'm trying to install from the maemo and maemo extras reps (http://repository.maemo.org and http://repository.maemo.org/extras chinook free non-free). Is this not right?

So - how do I install Python? Take Libglade from bora? :mad:

sachin007
2007-11-20, 02:56
I have a similar problem. Anything involving Python doesn't work for me. I just can't get Python to install - even though the Wiki says it's working. I get a message "Unable to Install. Software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system. Contact software author." Python can't install because a package "libglade 2-0" is missing. This is on a clean flash.

This is really irritating - as mentioned, the Wiki states that Python can be installed, and this was one of the main reasons I went ahead and installed os2008. I'm trying to install from the maemo and maemo extras reps (http://repository.maemo.org and http://repository.maemo.org/extras chinook free non-free). Is this not right?

So - how do I install Python? Take Libglade from bora? :mad:

After adding those repositories in app manager it will ask to refresh. select yes. Then in the installable applications you will see python runtime. just click on it and it should install. Atleast it did for me.

rone
2007-11-20, 03:36
In order to get the latest python I had to actually turn the hacker repositories off. When I did an apt-get from the terminal it said it was finding multiple copies of the libraries and could not proceed. Application manager was reporting library not found, which appears to not be an accurate message.

Python does work, With the python update released today, have several python apps running, including ones that needed libglade.

kyyla
2007-11-20, 05:29
The latest python that is in maemo reps doesn't even include glade? As far as I can see it hasn't been updated. Also nothing on their homepage. What's going on?

Khertan
2007-11-20, 07:34
python has been updated to include glade binding, but it's doen't work from the application manager at this time.

You can also install it by doing this in a root term :

apt-get remove python2.5-runtime && apt-get install python2.5-runtime && apt-get install python2.5-gtk2

Puck
2007-11-20, 07:56
Worked great! Thanks.:)

kyyla
2007-11-20, 09:13
python has been updated to include glade binding, but it's doen't work from the application manager at this time.

You can also install it by doing this in a root term :

apt-get remove python2.5-runtime && apt-get install python2.5-runtime && apt-get install python2.5-gtk2
Thank you. Works like a charm.

Beni
2007-11-22, 05:12
How do you open terminal? Is it a default app? If not, where do I download it.

dblank
2007-11-22, 05:15
How do you open terminal? Is it a default app? If not, where do I download it.

Click on Utilities, scroll down to the bottom, and click X Terminal.

Beni
2007-11-22, 05:20
Its not there though.

dblank
2007-11-22, 05:47
If you're running OS2008, it should be.

Aside from re-flashing or restoring from backup, I'm not sure how to get it back, as it doesn't seem to be available for download.

If you're not running OS2008, there's other xterm apps out there you can download and install, search around.

Beni
2007-11-22, 05:49
I am running 2008. Dunno where it went. Nevertheless, I'm going back to 2007.

dblank
2007-11-22, 06:05
I am running 2008. Dunno where it went. Nevertheless, I'm going back to 2007.

Have you tried to ssh in? You could see if the executable exists (osso-xterm)

Maybe the .desktop file just got nuked somehow.

maluka
2007-11-22, 11:48
after entering the code, it asks me if i'm root. how do i become root on the n800?

virx14
2007-11-22, 13:34
if your device is still in rd mode, just type "sudo gainroot". If not, install "becomeroot" package (link on wiki page)

maluka
2007-11-22, 15:07
thanks virx14! it worked!!