PDA

View Full Version : The itT Nokia N810 First Impressions Thread

Reggie
2007-11-20, 11:37
Now that the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet is out, it might be a good time to share your first impressions!

Suggested Format:

Purchased From:
Purchase/Arrival Date:

Dislikes:

Favorite Apps:

bleek
2007-11-20, 22:45
Purchased From: Nokia Flagship Store, NYC
Purchase/Arrival Date: 11/17/2007

As far I know I bought the first one. Just happened to be in New York, so it was my lucky day when I went by the store Friday and found out it would be out that next morning.

Likes: UI is intuitive. Virtual memory. Connection manager beats OSX. Browser seems as advertised.

Dislikes: QWERTY is at wierd depth, hard to reach top row with bigger fingers. I like the QWERTY on my E70 better (so far). Maps app seems slower than Series 60 verrsion. Finger dragging in Pdf Viewer is lagged, needs work.

Errors:
I received an error when trying to drag some large movies or mp3/wav files via USB cable to an Apple Powerbook. After accessing the miniSD card from my Canon digicam, the camera reported the card as 'locked.' Had to put anotherr card in the camera before the 1st card would work again.

munky261
2007-11-20, 23:11
Country - USA
Purchased from - Nokia Flagship Store Chicago
Purchase Date - 11-17-2007

Likes - love the keyboard , only time it is hard to type for me is when its plugged in. easier connection to my phone.

Dislikes - Most of the programs that are listed as that will work will not install. kagu , ukmp , python...NOT WORKING!! come on , this is ridiculous ive had all 3 tablets and i love them , but they will NEVER be taken seriously as a competitor to anything until crap like this is resolved....the simple fact that all the programs have to be totally changed in order for them to work is going to cause alot of people not to get one or upgrade the os in my opinion.

nef919
2007-11-20, 23:40
Purchased From: Nokia Flagship Store, NYC
Purchase/Arrival Date: 11/20/2007

Included Car mount
Keyboard
screen
flat back

Dislikes:
Included case
Current lack of ported software
micro usb
small dpad

Overall I am more than happy with the 810. Feels good in the hands. The keyboard I like more than I thought. Still takes some getting used to, but is very htc like. I am liking the UI change as far as the thumbability goes. Overall feels way snappier than my recently flashed 800. (flashed to latest 2007 software) Even though the weather wasn't great I took it for a drive on the bike. Wow. What a difference from the 800. No issues seeing the screen at all. The gps is pretty spot on. Will try to post a pic or 2.

bleek
2007-11-21, 01:43
I feel like my previous post requires clearification.

Overall I am very happy with the n810. I have been watching the ITs since the 770 came out and almost got an 800. I have been a Symbian user for a while. This device rocks. Display is beautiful, the design is just about perfect. One could argue its too big but then you are sacrificing display size.

To clearify some issues:

1. TRANSFER of large(70MB+) mpg,avi,mp3 or wav to n810 via USB
Powerbook ---USB --> n810
Errors out towards end of transfer.

2. The GPS/ Maps app seems a little slower than the Series 60 version but I have not had a long time to test this the car.

3. No USB Charging. The lack of this feature is a big negative IMO. I bought a $30 USB to Power Adapter when I bought my n810.

4. Memory card issues. I need to test this again. I have a camera. I took the 4GB MiniSDHC(Uses a full SD adapter in the Camera) out of the camera and into my n810. This is one of the features I bought the n810 for. Then after I am done copying the files I put the card back in the camera. The camera now says the card is locked. After taking another miniSD (2gb used in my Nokia E70) and swapping it in the camera, the 4GB card worked normally once again in the camera.

5. Volume is a little low for the NY Subway / Airplane rides with the built included Nokia headphones / microphone. Need to try other headphones.

Karwee
2007-11-21, 22:53
Hi I'm new :)

Purchased From: mobilecityonline.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: Nov 20th/21st 2007

Dislikes: No preinstalled software for the web cam.
Battery kinda rattles once it's in.
Lack of fully compatable apps for os08, even apps that are ported or made for 08 may not work. Skype is on the list of installable apps and it wont install. Theres a version of ukmp for 08 and the required libs for it wont install. Just in general, a lot of out of the box featues seem incomplete or not implemented.
Poor flash performance.
The device sometimes has a hard time figuring out a single or double tap/click. For example I'll be finger scrolling a page by clicking and draging the page, but then all of a suddon it'll select text instead. Or in the file manager I'll single click/tap a folder or file and it will select it, sometimes it'll execute it. Im editing this on the n810 and right now I'm typing faster than it's showing up on the screen like a 3 sec delay. Seems to only happen when there is a lot of text on screen.

Favorite Apps: Mahjong and GPS

Lunchguy
2007-11-22, 00:33
Quick question - how does the N810's keyboard compare to the Dopod 838 / I-mate JasJam? I have one and find the keyboard very good.

Is the N810 of a similar size and feel?

gemniii42
2007-11-22, 00:47
Purchased From:Letstalk
Purchase/Arrival Date:21-11-07

Dislikes:Needed one 30 years ago, now I need glasses to read the thing.

Favorite Apps:so far GPS

GAD IT'S GREAT
hooked up to net, GPS, BT stereo headphones in minutes
I think I'm starting a new long relationship, now if they just had a projected hologram screen ....

Greyghost
2007-11-23, 18:22
USA
Purchased From:
CompUsa
Purchase/Arrival Date:
11/21/07
AWESOME! I love the form factor, now just the right size. The N800 was just a bit too big. This device feels like what the designers had in mind when they began the project now X years ago. I feel like there's another iteration, but so many aspects of this have been thought out, it's clear that the iterative approach to device production is beginning to pay off. That is, many of the too-large pieces even three years ago are now the right size and usable. The keyboard, for example, is something I thought I didn't need, but now I see how it extends the usability of the table by making it easier to enter data. I thought the stylus was easy, and it is, but I really like the new process. The keyboard looks small, but in fact it is pretty easy to type fast without too many errors, especially if you use the word recognition. It forms another line above the keyboard and once you get used to looking up and hitting the word, it really is fast. I was IMing with my son and he couldn't believe that I wasn't at my regular keyboard!

There are many other factors. The use of metal is nice. There was too much plastic on previous versions, so this now has a very solid feel, an object you just love to hold!

The transreflective screen isn't as bright, but it is definitely easier to see in the daylight, even direct sunlight. It's a tradeoff but a good one IMO.

The GPS isn't my killer app but what fun it is to have built in! Who knows when I'll really use it, but I will install the car mount. It's always with me, now it can be out of the briefcase when I'm on the road!

I paired it with my apple bt keyboard and it worked perfectly. Even better, I could move between the slide out keyboard and the bt without a hiccup.

Dislikes:
Not many. For the benefit of the QA team, I'll say that the fit for the slide-out keyboard could be a little tighter. Perhaps it's just my unit but it doesn't close with a secure click, and when pushing the buttons on the top of the unit, it tends to push out the keyboard as well.

Also the bezel approach to screen and body integration is, I hope, in it's last iteration. There are any number of reasons for this, chief among them being cleanability and durability

Favorite Apps:

Too many to mention. My killer app, that is, the one I gotta have, is Gnumeric. I don't think it's be compiled for os08 yet, but it is the function I bought the N800 for in the first place. I use it to check inventory in the stocks and the share the data using Google Docs.

I also love the fact that thanks to Zerojay and Texrat, the Jablet server has made the Contacts app usable (to me) for the first time, elminating the need to install another app like PIdgin for IM. And it looks like the sip phone will complete the functionality of the native app.

The GPE calendar must be mentioned as well, since, with Erminig (slo coming soon for os08, I hope), it actually syncs with my Google calendar. I was using the GPE contacts, but, well, see above. I will use the to-do list, but really, that functionality should be a part of the Google calendar. I've seen a Greasemonkey script (another useful app) for something like this but it hasn't been worked out just yet...soon!

There's more I am sure, but right now I have to get back to installing software;) Hopefully I can provide more feedback by actively participating in the forums.

Thanks to the Nokia team who brought this to us. Good work!

dsmudger
2007-11-25, 12:41
Hey - does anyone else's have a screw (or something) rattling around inside? Mine makes a very worrying noise when tilted left/right/back/forward (only) when the keyboard's open! (even with the battery and backplate taken off)

I just phoned the shop and got them to try all this with the demo unit and the manager assures me his does the same! :o

LurkerN
2007-11-25, 21:04
No rattling on mine, either with keyboard open or closed. There is a very slight "thump" as the battery shifts around, though.

On the subject of build quality:
Overall, the N810 feels extremely solid and compact. However...
-The bezel around the keyboard has a 1mm gap between the left corner of my N810, but not the right.
-The kickstand contacts the unit a bit roughly when closed. I can see this being a source of wear & tear in the future.
-The left-side menu/back buttons are disappointing. After pressing the menu button, the back button is stiff and ineffective for one or two presses, then works as normal. The poor feedback when either button is activated, and overall "sponginess", caused me to avoid using them.

The above issues are present on my unit, which of course is the only one I've observed in person. I'd like to know if these are manufacturing or design defects. Or did I get the bad luck of the draw?

dsmudger
2007-11-25, 21:51
Been back to the shop and exchanged it now. The new one's fine or at least how I think they're meant to be - there's still the battery and back cover rattle (same as LurkerN's I reckon..), but no longer sounds like there's a loose object inside :)

I'd tend to agree about the build quality - comparing to my 770 I'm upgrading from, my impression is that the design and materials (well maybe, 770 was made of what I thought was really good quality plastic...) are much better, but the build quality is decidedly poorer.

The seams between the various metal surfaces move a bit with respect to each other, various rattles and general play between the components seems rather a lot for a relatively high-ticket item like this... (compare with say how recent motorola phones snap open and shut..?)
[EDIT: actually just noticed the new one's quite a bit better than the other one I returned, but still; it does generally feel like the parts are all a bit loose and sliding around too much and making little metallic scraping noises - don't have the problem with the kick-stand you mentioned there though - mine seems to work pretty nicely - seems this first run at least is a bit hit-and-miss on the quality control side of things maybe? :o ]

Bit of a shame too about the fairly big gap between the metal bezel and the screen surface - the sharp edge makes it look a bit unfinished (?) and the space looks like it's going to form a nice gunk 'n fluff border around the screen after a while :\ (maybe they had have it that way because of the touchscreen, but still..)

I also thought there was a noticeable difference in the firmness/click/straightness of the slide between the now three units I've played with - and overall I feel like I need to handle it very carefully, as opposed to the 770 which feels indestructible by comparison (I got into the habit of chucking it around the place/not really looking after it properly, and although it looks really battered now (it's 'got character' ;)), I've had no problems whatsoever - the n810 feels like it'll break the first time I drop it :()

But of course that's not to say I'm not very pleased with it overall - just an observation/pros and cons of each model... ;))

Karwee
2007-11-25, 22:10
..The kickstand contacts the unit a bit roughly when closed. I can see this being a source of wear & tear in the future.
-The right-side menu/back buttons are disappointing. After pressing the menu button, the back button is stiff and ineffective for one or two presses, then works as normal. The poor feedback when either button is activated, and overall "sponginess", caused me to avoid using them.

The above issues are present on my unit, which of course is the only one I've observed in person. I'd like to know if these are manufacturing or design defects. Or did I get the bad luck of the draw?

The kickstand on mine actualy came slightly warped on the right side. And is loose overall.

I thikn you mean the left side buttons ?, Theres no buttons on the right :). But yes I agree with you, mine do the same thing they seem to stick or are wicked stiff. I rarely use them either because I feel that they might break or get really stuck.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 01:17
Any more impressions?

mdarnton
2007-11-28, 01:45
Mine's fine, mechanically--everything's tight, well executed, etc. If I have any complaints, they're software related, almost all directed at the browser. For instance, webpage javascript errors freeze things up for quite a while, and I'm finding out that javascript errors are all over the place on all sorts of webpages. I can't log on to Amazon, ever--my browser ALWAYS crashes as the intro page loads. Also, I can't sent mail from my Earthlink web mail--some sort of error, again. If they work out these things, I'll be happy.

All of my buttons work well, or at least as designed, the kickstand is precise. I don't much care for the keyboard, and I think it would have been better with two changes--less pressure needed (my finger smashes out flat and then hits multiple keys) and maybe more of a pointed or pyramid shape, so that the effective space between keys was greater and tactile feedback more precise.

One last thing--the owner's manual is relatively useless--there are a lot of little things that it doesn't tell that I stumble on by accident. I regularly trigger a small stylus keyboard on the screen, but every once in a while I get a large key, finger keyboard, and I have no idea at all what triggers each--and the manual is absolutely no help in this or many similar behaviors. In fact, it's the worst manual I've ever seen, for any product.

kingka
2007-11-28, 02:24
just came in the mail!!!!!

its alot faster than I imagined.. wow.. feels solid. battery rattles slightly.. but overall really impressed.. now.. how do I change the background image. I'm in love. cant wait to play around with it some more and bust it out when I'm with my friends.. damn. this is awesome... yoo when is this canola player going to be ready? does UKMP work alright? cant wait to add msn!

tfinnan
2007-11-28, 03:52
I gotta chime in here fellas...

I picked up my N810 from Nokia USA's web retail site.

Build quality seems okay. I only feel compelled to mention this because it seems to have hijacked this thread.

Okay, I'm a bit disappointed by the relative dearth of ported applications, but I take heart in the fact that it seems like there are new apps showing up daily. That's a nice feeling. I'm a bit saddened by the fact that I can't get Gizmo to work quite right. Oh, I can't get video that I have converted via Internet Tablet Video Converter to play correctly. There's no sound. To be fair, I've had problems at one time or another with all of the ITs. The nice thing is that, thanks some of the great folks here on these forums, most of my problems have been easily resolved. That's why I have a 770, an N800, and the N810. I guess that I'm just a big geek at heart. That's okay though.

If I fail to mention it anywhere else, the keyboard is a great addition to the unit. It makes staying connected much easier.

I miss the VNC Viewer, I like Pidgin, and think that FBReader is just great. Skype is cool too. The browser is a bit crashy (is that a word?), the RSS Reader sort of sucks (which makes me sad, as I love my feeds!), and I try to avoid using the built in email client (still). Oh, the GPS takes a while to get a fix. Guess what? This whole Linux-based, corporate and community supported OS is a work in progress. So long as the bugs get worked out eventually, I'm cool with some minor inconveniences. I blew away some iPhone'rs at the pub tonight with the customizable functionality of the N810, and couldn't have been more proud. Love it or leave it, my IT is here to stay.

Look, the internet tablet is a great product, and it isn't for everyone. I like that I can fiddle around with the insides of my tablet to make it just right for me. Not too many products allow the end-user that kind of freedom.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 10:57

its alot faster than I imagined.. wow.. feels solid. battery rattles slightly.. but overall really impressed.. now.. how do I change the background image. I'm in love. cant wait to play around with it some more and bust it out when I'm with my friends.. damn. this is awesome... yoo when is this canola player going to be ready? does UKMP work alright? cant wait to add msn!

I'm so happy for you! Keep us all posted on the tablets usefulness!

Also, if you check the links section, a new media player has been released called MediaBox. It's supposed to be fully kinetic (with scrolling) and VERY finger friendly (doesn't require a stylus at all). The interface looks quite nice, simple but functional.

@mdarnton and tfinnan,

Great impressions! I really enjoyed reading them. As you can probably tell, I'm attempting to vicariously live through the more fortunate. :) I've got about a month to go before the N810 can be mine.

Keep'em coming!

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

promethh
2007-11-28, 13:26
USA (Washington, DC)

Purchased From:
MobileCityOnline.com (New York City, NY)

Purchase/Arrival Date:
pre-ordered 10/23/2007, arrived 11/21/2007

* Smaller than the N800, better sized for portability and ergonomics.
* I *really* appreciate the slideout keyboard. Much easier/faster to type long URLs, jot short emails and reply, and other extended typing sessions without need for the StowAway BT keyboard or screen keyboard.
* I'm on the fence about the GPS, it's currently nice to have, but the included Maps application isn't as nice as MaemoMapper.

Dislikes:
* Heavier than the N800.
* I don't mind the dpad on the keyboard, requiring slideout, but the dpad design isn't practical. A larger directional ring (similar to the N800) and smaller center (select) would have been more useful. It's currently frustrating to use.
* Ambient light sensor placement is prone to being covered by my left thumb or index finger during normal use, cause fluctuations in backlighting.
* Consistently slow GPS acquisition times. My Garmin eTrek, StreetPilot, and Dash all acquire faster.

Favorite Apps:
* Web browser
* Maps
* Osso Xterm (yay, now I can Xterm on the Metro with the slideout keyboard, and ssh into my servers for easier work)

kingka
2007-11-28, 18:43
I havnt encountered the lightsensor/left thumb issue. I guess its the way I hold it.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 19:50
I havnt encountered the lightsensor/left thumb issue. I guess its the way I hold it.

I was expecting two solid pages! Enjoying it that much, eh? :D

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

VAHighlander
2007-11-30, 17:51
I second that call about the problems with the dpad. The outer ring needs to be made bigger and the inner ring smaller.

Nokia needs to be courting the mobile gaming production community here. Having a couple of PSP/Nintendo DS games ported to the N800 would be awesome (I know, it's not an easy undertaking .... but I don't own nor plan to buy a PSP/Nintendo DS and I assume there are other people out there in the same boat). Of course, that would require somone either porting their proprietary graphic libraries or someone writing them from scratch .... hmm ... not sure what the chances are of that.

HiVoltage
2007-11-30, 18:37
When saying that gps lock is slow.. how slow is it on average? 30 - 60s? 1-2 mins? more than that?

kingka
2007-11-30, 19:47
seriously... really enjoying it. I'm probably one the most skeptical people on this forum. but i must say, I'm pretty impressed with this so far.. although watching youtube is just slightly bearable..

net's a bit slow at times but now its like, I don't have to drop what i'm doing just to chat/check email or whatever. its with me wherever I go. just put on pidgin, and setup gmail with jaber. its awesome. next tasks, getting UKMP installed. (is there an easy step by step to follow somewhere?) installing bomberman and popping in an 8gig micro sd.... and again, because of the way i naturaly hold it, i have no issues with the light sensor. and the DPAD i feel is in the perfect spot.

hmm when is the new canola for os'08 going to be released?

I was expecting two solid pages! Enjoying it that much, eh? :D

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

bexley
2007-12-01, 00:21
I just placed my order from Buy.com! I really hope they actually have it as the page says, since every other webstore that listed today as the restocking date haven't shown new stock. So, this is a heads up to those who are looking for a place to buy and also a question: how good is Buy.com with correctly listing stock?

Anyway, this isn't the place for this post, I know, but I'll make up for it with a first impressions next week--hopefully.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-01, 04:28
seriously... really enjoying it. I'm probably one the most skeptical people on this forum. but i must say, I'm pretty impressed with this so far.. although watching youtube is just slightly bearable..

net's a bit slow at times but now its like, I don't have to drop what i'm doing just to chat/check email or whatever. its with me wherever I go. just put on pidgin, and setup gmail with jaber. its awesome. next tasks, getting UKMP installed. (is there an easy step by step to follow somewhere?) installing bomberman and popping in an 8gig micro sd.... and again, because of the way i naturaly hold it, i have no issues with the light sensor. and the DPAD i feel is in the perfect spot.

hmm when is the new canola for os'08 going to be released?

Good to hear, mate! The fact that you're both skeptical and impressed is quite the impression. Like you, I bet I'll keep my N810 pretty much within arms reach until I buy my next internet tablet!

You may want to consider the new MediaBox media player that was recently released. It's supposed to use MPlayer as a backend and is 100% finger friendly. Plus it has kinetic scrolling, which is at least fun to look at! I've never used it (or heard anything on it), but it looks promising. You can find a link in the last page of the links section.

I wonder if the DPad complaints are due to those familiar with the old DPad but are forced to change. I can't see the DPad being an issue for me either.

Thanks for the review.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

r351574nc3
2007-12-01, 21:02
I really like the n810. There's so much that I like that I think I'd be better to talk about the things I੍ don't like. The list post will be shorter and easier to read that way.

1. Software installs/uninstalls are slooooooow. Is this reflashing itself or something?
2. Software installs/uninstalls don't automatically resolve dependencies. Sure they check dependencies and tell you when there's something you don't have, but it doesn't try to resolve and install those dependencies for you like the aptitude does on debian/ubuntu. I really expected the installer to be like that.
3. System updates have to be done with a computer. Really, why can't the updates occur over wifi like software? Just download to the internal memory card and have it reflash itself. I don't see what's so hard about this. Maybe I'm being naive, but I used to work on embedded hardware at IBM. Flashing SES firmware was always simple once you got the binary copied. It flashed itself.
4. Why does the default software suck so much? Come on. Nokia can do better than this. The media player should already use mplayer. Why should I have to go and download it myself? Again, probably being naive, but licensing shouldn't be that difficult if they would base it entirely on OSS instead of being half-in/half-out
5. Settings are scattered. You can't get to every possible setting from the control panel. For example, there are different kinds of lock. Only one of these can you change from the control panel. I already forgot how to get to the others.
6. Hold button is inconvenient. When the keyboard is out, I can barely reach it. Even while it's in, it's difficult to move quickly.
7. Power button is inconvenient. I can barely push it. If I didn't use it so much, this wouldn't be a problem though. Normally, you don't want to hit the power button by accident. I use it so much though for switching to/from offline-mode, that it's become inconvenient. If there were an easier way to get to that, I suppose, I wouldn't care as much.

I really like it otherwise though. Best one I've ever seen. I especially like that it runs linux. I'm a linux developer and I can't wait to hack it.

aflegg
2007-12-01, 21:58
Some comments/corrections:

2. Software installs/uninstalls don't automatically resolve dependencies. Sure they check dependencies and tell you when there's something you don't have, but it doesn't try to resolve and install those dependencies for you like the aptitude does on debian/ubuntu. I really expected the installer to be like that.

It does. It only does it when you're installing from a repository (as with Debian/Ubuntu), and obviously only if the package's dependencies can be met with your repository list.

This is why everything should be being uploaded to extras(-devel), and why developers who create their own repositories are making their lives easier at the expense of their users.

3. System updates have to be done with a computer. Really, why can't the updates occur over wifi like software? Just download to the internal memory card and have it reflash itself. I don't see what's so hard about this. Maybe I'm being naive, but I used to work on embedded hardware at IBM. Flashing SES firmware was always simple once you got the binary copied. It flashed itself.

There are some tricky issues here, different to embedded hardware. However, the primary reason is that it's not been a high priority and the Maemo team took their time in understanding how best to do it. It's definitely on the roadmap and should be available by Diabalo or Elephanta (the next two major Maemo releases, equivalent to IT OS 2009 & IT OS 2010 ?)

4. Why does the default software suck so much? Come on. Nokia can do better than this. The media player should already use mplayer. Why should I have to go and download it myself? Again, probably being naive, but licensing shouldn't be that difficult if they would base it entirely on OSS instead of being half-in/half-out

Serge has done a lot of work on getting mplayer to the state it's in. Perhaps the Maemo team didn't have those skills onboard? They also wanted to go for a GNOME-like stack and so the media framework is based on gstreamer.

mplayer definitely is a better engine for the majority of use cases, though. But if it was default one of the best third-party applications (things which Nokia want to foster) would be removed from being a third-party application ;-)

6. Hold button is inconvenient. When the keyboard is out, I can barely reach it. Even while it's in, it's difficult to move quickly.

Not got an N810 yet, can't comment on its hardware :-(

7. Power button is inconvenient. I can barely push it. If I didn't use it so much, this wouldn't be a problem though. Normally, you don't want to hit the power button by accident. I use it so much though for switching to/from offline-mode, that it's become inconvenient. If there were an easier way to get to that, I suppose, I wouldn't care as much.

Again, can't comment on the hardware issue. But I guess Nokia aren't expecting users to be using the power button that much. It's designed to last longer when not powered on/off constantly, as the startup is very power intensive, compared with the aggressive power adaptation used when the device is idle.

I really like it otherwise though. Best one I've ever seen. I especially like that it runs linux. I'm a linux developer and I can't wait to hack it.

...and that's the best bit :-)

If you've got specific problems (such as particular bits of Control Panel not making sense), targetted bugs in the Bugzilla at http://bugs.maemo.org/ are your best recourse.

Dallben
2007-12-03, 03:06
okay, so my first thoughts, in totally random, stream-of-consciousness order, as I sent them to a friend this morning (I really should edit this a little better for public consumption, but can't be bohered to atm...)

I definitely like the look/feel more than the n800, though it will take a little while to get acclimated with. the back of the device is completely flat, and when holding it, my index fingers miss the curved part of the n800, which they seemed to fit under nicely. I dunno if I explained that right, pick up your n800 and you'll see what I mean.

It feels a lot smaller to me than the 800 -- might be because it's flat on the back, and also thinner and narrower. Fits better in my pocket too.

I don't like the stylus. It's much thinner than the n800 stylus and just feels cheap. The stylus from my n800 seems to fit in my hand better. I also like that the metal end on the n800 stylus helps balance it in my hand. The n810 stylus doesn't have that. Given the fact that the screen moves, and they lose half the usable space, they did what they could, and I guess I'll deal with it.

I don't like that I was forced to remove the screen protector because of the damned tamper-proof barcode / sn sticker.

I don't care for the car mount -- the only provided way to mount it to your car is with screws... they could've used strong tape, or industrial velcro, or even a giant suction cup... I'm not too keen on screwing crud to my dashboard.

I liked that the camera on the n800 could be rotated, but I can see why they took that particular bit out -- it eats up a lot more space.

I love having the built-in keyboard. the keys are a bit mushy, but you get used to them pretty quickly. I can type on the thing at a pretty good clip, even with my fat fingers. I almost think it would've been better if they made the keys a little smaller, but left space in between them. Still -- I already feel comfortable enough with the keyboard that most of the work in the console I've done in the last hour or so, I've done with the device as opposed to via SSH from my laptop.

I like having the gps built-in. I actually used it while walking yesterday from my office to the store. I used it with the included map application on the way there, and Maemo Mapper on the way back. Worked great both times. took a few minutes to sync, but after that worked great. I think I instantly liked Maemo Mapper better than the waypoint app too.

I actually like the included case, the device fits into it snugly, whereas my n800 is constantly falling out of the case it came with.

Some people have complained about the d-pad being in with the pull-out keyboard... this doesn't really bother me too much, even as much as I use the d-pad, the device fits in my hand just as well with the keyboard out as in, so it's all good. I really think shrinking the home and escape buttons on the face, moving the d-pad off the face, and moving the speakers to the sides were good design choices.

Incidentally, the speakers sound just as good as on the 800... I even notice a little more separation when the device is in front of me than I did with the 800.

Overall, the n810 both looks and feels more refined than the n800... I think the device is a keeper.

dsmudger
2007-12-03, 18:44
I don't like that I was forced to remove the screen protector because of the damned tamper-proof barcode / sn sticker.

Me too - note to future owners though/hope this helps someone - I discovered you can remove those silver residue/diamond shapes with some anti-static cleaning spray or white spirit on a bit of tissue/cloth (see the 'penny pinching screen protector' thread.. :))

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-03, 19:10
Me too - note to future owners though/hope this helps someone - I discovered you can remove those silver residue/diamond shapes with some anti-static cleaning spray or white spirit on a bit of tissue/cloth (see the 'penny pinching screen protector' thread.. :))

A fantastic tip! I'll definitely do this when I receive mine...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Dallben
2007-12-03, 19:20

Hrmph. Good tip -- I will remember it when I get the next couple at work. :)

bexley
2007-12-03, 20:31
Why pinch pennies? Two screen protectors, perfectly cut for the N810, can be had for $10 shipped from eBay. I've used many Hong Kong sellers for small stuff like this before and I usually receive the item in the same time it would take from the US.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-03, 20:49
Why pinch pennies? Two screen protectors, perfectly cut for the N810, can be had for $10 shipped from eBay. I've used many Hong Kong sellers for small stuff like this before and I usually receive the item in the same time it would take from the US.

Certainly it's a good idea to purchase a couple of spares. The tip is a good one, though. It ensures that you'll have a pre-installed screen protector right out of the box, provided you take a little care in removing the silver foil. Saves not only money but also time (no shipping/cutting/etc).

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

dsmudger
2007-12-04, 14:10
Certainly it's a good idea to purchase a couple of spares. The tip is a good one, though. It ensures that you'll have a pre-installed screen protector right out of the box, provided you take a little care in removing the silver foil. Saves not only money but also time (no shipping/cutting/etc).

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Exactly - I'm expecting mine to last the lifetime of the device, and I know that if I had to go to the shop or whatever I'd have scratched it all up by now. I'll pull it off when it comes time to sell it on ("look! perfect screen!";)) other than that I don't really care if it looks all beaten up :)

reefdiver
2007-12-11, 06:16
dislikes:
- no pptp support - should be in os build. someone please gell me how to get?
- recessed screen makes using scroll bars difficult with fingers
- no java installed
- gps acquisition is slow
- biggest complaint: should have come with turn-by-turn nav software
- wayfinder nzv website says software is released but can'g figure out how to buy.

chippy
2007-12-11, 20:30
I'm coming at this from a mobile PC angle so you might have to bear that in mind with some of my comments. I generally beleive that the Raon Everun is the best handheld internet device but that's probably because i'm a very heavy internet app user.

OK here goes.
Firsty, most importantly, because this is an internet tablet - the internet browsing is still way too slow. Meebo - Unuseable. Google Reader - Unuseable. Even Gmail is a pain. Too slow. Switching between tabs/windows takes too long. While this might be acceptable for a smartphone user its not acceptable for an internet tablet. An order-of-magnitude of change is need here to make is useable as a 'full internet experience' tablet.

Out of box experience very good. I felt buzzed when I unboxed it. Very high gadget value!

Love the design but screen too small for me. 4.8" @ 800x480 is my optimum.

Keyboard is disappointing but I need to give it time.

Email app - This, so far has been unusable. Imap to Gmail is terribly slow. I need to check I havent done something wrong because it wont even retrieve full posts.

TOuchscreen - poor. Certainly very poor response (both physical and with software response) compared to an iPhone. Finger scrolling is not reliable.

Battery cover doesn't fit properly.

Love the materials use on the casing.

Software interface is much nicer than 2007. Starting to get useable from consumer point of view.

Love that it supports SIP. Made a 30 min call on it this afternoon. Incoming too. Great.

3 instant messaging (built-in, skype, gizmo) apps + pidgin. This needs sorting out. Pidgin should be integrated.

Media app poor. Why don't they just buy the Canola developemnt and team.

mini-sd hard to get in/out.

GPS lock time - a joke. I hope they can to an A-GPS trick with this like on the E90.

Speakers - top marks. Love them. So smooth and listenable.

No BT A2DP (booo)

BT headset support (yay)

I'm doing a lot more testing over at Carrypad/UMPCPortal so i'll probably be writing up more thoughts in the forum there. Will try and get a summary over here as I don't want to distrupt this great forum.

OVerall, its not the consumer device I had hope that Nokia would produce and its far short of the full-internet handheld that I would like myself. I will probably go back to the Everun, despite its far higher cost, relative bulkiness and wait for my dream 'carrypad' again. Nokia N900?

Steve / Chippy.

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-11, 20:58

Pocketable is key, if it's not pocketable, it's pointless. We're already kinda at the limits here. :)

Email app - This, so far has been unusable. Imap to Gmail is terribly slow. I need to check I havent done something wrong because it wont even retrieve full posts.

This point has been beaten to death. Modest (http://modest.garage.maemo.org/) is on its way!

3 instant messaging (built-in, skype, gizmo) apps + pidgin. This needs sorting out. Pidgin should be integrated.

There are rumors of libpurple for the built-in client, so this will probably be changing soon enough. For now, there's Jabber with transports and Gizmo works fine through the built-in SIP client.

Media app poor. Why don't they just buy the Canola developemnt and team.

Well, the INdT kinda is Nokia, so there's not much point. Besides which, Media player works great for me and choice is never a bad thing. Why would I want to go to a fullscreen, thumb-based media player anytime I wanted to play music, anyway?

No BT A2DP (booo)

Another feature that's forthcoming.

I was tempted to address your first point about the internet being "too slow", but I think that point has been beaten to death and back again and it really only boils down to two things: unrealistic expectations, and the balance between size, cost, and battery life using current technology. If you want laptop-performance, buy a laptop. Personally, I'll stick with something that's not gonna break the bank, will fit in my pocket, and will last for more than a couple hours.

kingka
2007-12-11, 21:03
woh, the net is not that bad. i use it at work. its the speed is alright., at home its kinda slow these days. dunno why. keyboard is fine.

btw, where are yo uguys getting the screen protectors?

and with the bevel, I'm guessing its there to protect the screen from scratches somewhat.

chippy
2007-12-11, 21:24
GeneralAntilles.

I think you highlight very well why the N810 still isnt a consumer device!

'its on its way' 'will be changing soon' 'rumors of libpurple' 'Another feature that's forthcoming' The N810 is a developers / early adopters device. Nothing wroing with that. I was rather hoping for a step change, not just a re-hash of the N800.

You talk of 'the balance between size, cost, and battery life using current technology. If you want laptop-performance, buy a laptop. Personally, I'll stick with something that's not gonna break the bank, will fit in my pocket, and will last for more than a couple hours.' Thats why I choose an Everun. I get far far faster performance that I can carry (its not pocketable I admit) and it lasts for 4-6 hours. Its not a laptop though so it proves there are other choices out there.

'Unrealistic expectations' is a funny term. I wasn't actually expecting much improvement at all when I saw that the N810 was actually an N800 with new clothes, I was just hoping for many months before the N810 that it would address the consumer market.

As far as internet goes. it is slow in comparison with the lowest power handheld PCs that exist. It isnt significantly faster than all the other ARM-based devices either which , for an Internet tablet, should be one of its forte's but it does a very good job of accurate rendering.

Its an amazing bit of tech, don't get me wrong. It will satisfy many early adopters/developers and even some average punters. Has many advanced features, looks great and comes in at a superb price.

2008 will be very interesting indeed. Possible the start of the X86/ARM mobile internet battle that will go on for many years!! It should be a lot of fun.

Steve

spooley
2007-12-13, 13:45
Purchased From: www.misco.co.uk
Purchase/Arrival Date: ordered 11/12/2007/arrived 12/12/2007

(My background: Psion organisers, Nokia 9210, Sony Ericson P800, P900, P990i; Sony portable laptops: TR1MP and TZ)

- Wireless comms (wifi and Bt) - easy setup with my Sony Ericsson P990i phone and various wifi points,
- Usable (just!) keyboard,
- Clever backlight adjustment (screen & k/b),
- Open-ness and flexibility of the Linux-based platform,
- Super web-based support from places such as InternetTabletTalk (thank you, folks!)
- Standard 3.5mm audio jack
- overall performance: the N810 feels pretty fast in operation

Dislikes:
- Lack of physical separation / borders / distinction between keys on the keyboard
- Mozilla-based browser (I appreciate the tidy way Opera renders pages on both my laptop and the pocketable devices I've used over recent years). Hmm: I wonder if I can get an Opera for the N810?
- A shame the USB port isn't the same mini-usb as many of my other devices, and I dislike the new, slender and fragile-feeling Nokia power connector
- Poor in-the-box documentation on the device: I'm still trying to work out the significance of the various different colours of the flashing LED!

Favorite Apps:
- Maemo Mapper - fantastic, works well with the integral GPS, and very nearly justifies the price of the device on its own (I must remember to go make a donation to the Maemo Mapper cause!)
- openssh - at last: one of my pocketable devices can not only get inside my company's firewall, but also the openssh port redirection means I can access internal services using the devices own standard applications
- Xterm - a dollar-prompt and vi in my pocket :-)

Particular thanks are due to genevan for their post http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107044&postcount=13 which explained to me how to get started with the repositories and application manager (I thought I understood the concept, but didn't realise that there were multiple repositories and the device didn't come out-of-the-box with a complete setup of where to find new apps).

Simon.

vrabi
2007-12-13, 22:06
Purchased From: www.misco.co.uk
Purchase/Arrival Date: ordered 12/12/2007/arrived 13/12/2007

(My background: Psion S3, HP200LX, nokia 770, Toshiba libretto 50CT)

- really like the keyboard (and also that we have other options as well)
- much better than my nokia 770
- even like the pouch
- others said lot of nice things before me

Dislikes:
- PDF reader is a great improvement, but why could not they make two small additional changes: 1) when one goes to the next page it should stay where it was vertically - if you align it in the middle it would be perfect to read pdf-s, also finer zoomng options would have been nice. Evince might correct these, also rotated mode would be nice sometime.
- It seems that a screw is missing on the left side on the back (when it is open) and because of it it is not as tight as it could be - any idea who should I contact? (Misco or Nokia?) Or can somebody just tell me what type of screw I should buy - I am not afraid of putting it in. Any help would be appreciated. (Anybody else having the same problem?)

Favorite Apps:
- would be PDF reading (hopefully Evince comes soon)
- FBReader

I plan to put build A+ (http://www.aplusdev.org) as it is the closest one can get to my favourite programming language called K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_programming_language) on the tablet now.

Attila

symbiat
2007-12-13, 23:22
I'm coming at this from a mobile PC angle

And therein lies the reasons for your disappointments.

Firsty, most importantly, because this is an internet tablet - the internet browsing is still way too slow.

Compared to a laptop, sure. Smaller = less powerful processor so yeah. But I understand this so Im OK with that. A more powerful processor would use more power and lower the battery life...

Meebo - Unuseable. Google Reader - Unuseable. Even Gmail is a pain. Too slow. Switching between tabs/windows takes too long.

Just bear in mind, that those apps didn't even work at all on the 770 and even the N800!

Im glad its not a laptop.

Keyboard is disappointing but I need to give it time.

I wasn't expecting a great keyboard experience so its doesn't bother me but its good to have for certain applications. For writing I would get one of the many Bluetooth keyboards.

TOuchscreen - poor. Certainly very poor response (both physical and with software response) compared to an iPhone. Finger scrolling is not reliable.

Not noticed these problems. Did you try switching on the virtual memory in the control panel?

Battery cover doesn't fit properly.

It does for me but I will say it was tricky to get it to snap in correctly (took several tries), but it does fit flush with the case now. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

Software interface is much nicer than 2007. Starting to get useable from consumer point of view.

Agreed. From a usability standpoint, the larger menu items makes it much more finger-friendly than the 770 or N800.

mini-sd hard to get in/out.

I would say its fiddly. But then I have a 4Gb card that doesn't get removed very often.

OVerall, its not the consumer device I had hope that Nokia would produce and its far short of the full-internet handheld that I would like myself.

These are harsh words perhaps. Its not a laptop and never will be.

For me, its better than any smartphone out there. Better than the iPhone/iPod Touch. Lots of software available for it which can only get better over time.

You forgot to mention some of the nice touches like the light sensor (which I didn't know about) which was a nice surprise when I first saw it adjust the brightness and light up the keyboard. The LED is useful. The change in the placement of the top buttons is a vast improvement over the N800. I also like the styling of taskbar buttons on the left. The unit feels very solid and fits even better in my pant pocket.

Moonshine
2007-12-13, 23:36
There is no need for Meebo when there is built in IM support for Jabber/SIP/Gtalk and Pidgin if you don't want to set up Jabber (with other gateways). Meebo would be a complete last resort IMO.

The same would go for Gmail via the web vs. setting it up as a POP or IMAP account for Claws or Modest mail.

The "Web" route isn't always the best route! :D

slim
2007-12-14, 00:50
I think it's important to remember that even if the tablet is as good as current hardware gets for the money, it still might be too slow with a screen that is too small to be worth the price for some. I think that's valid feedback.

I like to see the constructive criticism: a device with a 4.8" screen that allows smooth web browsing with reasonable battery life is physically possible. It could even be smaller than current tablets. The technology is just not affordable yet. But I like the vision, and it's good to hear which areas people think require the most future work.

gerbick
2007-12-14, 04:10
Purchased From: www.letstalk.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: Nov. 23 (ordered)/Dec. 8 (delivered)

(My Background: HP Jornada 548, HP iPaq 2215, Nokia 770, Apple iPhone)

Likes: Interface speed/UI improvements over 2007. True Flash 9 playback over the hacked up versions I had been using in 2007HE. Xterm off the bat... saved me one out of two of my first steps in my install. Ability to set up 128mb of Virtual RAM, 2gb internal memory... build, feel seems tons better than the N800. And getting it to boot now is muuuuuch faster than my 770.

Dislikes: The camera (horrid in anything but the brightest of bright days) , the inability to remove the internal memory card - sorry, but not being able to extend my Virtual RAM to my bigger external memory is bothering me too, once I load up the maps, I have zero room, and ran into where I couldn't extend out my virtual memory, had to clear my existing install, reset the darn thing... under one week of having it. Thank goodness I've had plenty of reset practice with my 770, I can install it back to "norm" in under 3 minutes with my bluetooth keyboard.

Micro USB. Seriously... I've had to buy some of the oddest darn memory cards due to Nokia. Make up your mind Nokia.

Favorite Apps: Skype and Gizmo... hands down. Finally I can use BOTH and not run out memory and have them run alongside each other without issue. Pidgin, I've gotten used to since it's on my main PC as well as my 770. Can't say that I'm surprised - I know, I know... covered all to death by now - that the IMAP doesn't work. Modest doesn't really enthuse me, but I'd like to replace the standard e-mail client real quick. Even my iPhone supports that ;)

Even though I came from a Mobile Windows background... thank god for Linux devices. At least I can use these without too many problems. Just wish the results of using the software was a consistent affair, it truly isn't.

Overall I'm happy, just real surprised that I have to wait for some of the more blockbuster apps... had to wait for Skype which still doesn't have video, waiting for Canola - which I will be patient for, and waiting for true IMAP support in the mail app.

Best investment in a while. Just wish the integrated GPS was worth it. Gotta learn Maemo Mapper now.

aflegg
2007-12-15, 15:27
Lots of my thoughts here:

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php/jaffa/2007/12/15/n810_thoughts

The hardware's very nice, generally. OS2008 is very nice, generally. Pleasantly surprised by the GPS after all the comments here.

Ted Harris
2007-12-17, 22:12
Hi everybody,

I hope this isn't my first and last post here but it may well be.

I have used one sort of handheld and another going back to the early days of the first Psions. Also laptops starting with the very first one from HP in 1986 and every Mac laptop that has been out. I am also fluent in a lot of programming languages including PL1, PL2, Algol, Common LISP, etc. (guess that shows my age) and can work my way around Linux without problems. I gave up on all of the handhelds some years ago because none of them had the functionality I needed, at least now without spending more time than it was worth; so, I stuck with my laptop, trying to keep it as small as possible.

When the N810 was announced I was psyched. I figured this was the device that would let me work on planes, work in the hotel, make phone calls from anywhere in the world and maybe, just maybe leave my laptop home or in the suitcase most of the time. I was even more psyched when it arrived on Friday. Today I returned it to Amazon. Here are my detailed comments:

-It is cheesy, the metal on the back is just too thin, feels like a kid's toy. The cover on the memory card slot won't go back in and stay in after you insert the card. Not cool for something that costs this much.

-The GPS just plain didn't work. Couldn't get it to lock onto a satellite after driving around for over an hour in the car (no I am not going to stand outside in on place with it until it locks on as a Nokia tech suggested, at lest not right now in the middle of winter in New Hampshire).

-The web browser works well and is nicely done. I used it extensively and had no trouble reading the screen or navigating.

-Nice that it supports IM's but why not support the largest IM network on the planet, AIM? So I loaded Gismo to use its AIM chat capability, didn't work. Made phone calls just fine, just the IM's didn't work.

-Email is barebones to say the least and I couldn't get it to send mail on one account. I know all the setting ere correct but it just wasn't happy. Tried Claws too and that didn't work either.

-I realized there was little or no Mac support (we are a 100% Mac shop) but I figured I could do software updates using Parallel or Boot Camp. No such luck according to the friendly Nokia tech who said "it works some of the time and not others." That was the final straw, that was when it went back in the box and got returned.

I figure with some time and determination I could have worked through the other issues but why should I? This is being marketed as a consumer ready platform and it isn't. I see it is a slick piece of hardware that has huge potential and if I were making my living running networks, programming, etc. It would still be in my pocket. However, I don't and what I need is an internet tablet that does all the things the N810 is supposed to do but actually does them out of the box and does them well. Oh yes, does them well and is better put together than the N810 is. Shame, shame Nokia.

morrison
2007-12-18, 03:12
3. No USB Charging. The lack of this feature is a big negative IMO. I bought a $30 USB to Power Adapter when I bought my n810.

Does this adapter allow you to plug in the USB cable to the 810's power input? Sorry I didn't know they made adapters like this.. do you have a screen shot or link to an ebay auction selling this? Thanks! :)

asqwasqw
2007-12-18, 04:36
Hi everybody,

I hope this isn't my first and last post here but it may well be.

I have used one sort of handheld and another going back to the early days of the first Psions. Also laptops starting with the very first one from HP in 1986 and every Mac laptop that has been out. I am also fluent in a lot of programming languages including PL1, PL2, Algol, Common LISP, etc. (guess that shows my age) and can work my way around Linux without problems. I gave up on all of the handhelds some years ago because none of them had the functionality I needed, at least now without spending more time than it was worth; so, I stuck with my laptop, trying to keep it as small as possible.

When the N810 was announced I was psyched. I figured this was the device that would let me work on planes, work in the hotel, make phone calls from anywhere in the world and maybe, just maybe leave my laptop home or in the suitcase most of the time. I was even more psyched when it arrived on Friday. Today I returned it to Amazon. Here are my detailed comments:

-It is cheesy, the metal on the back is just too thin, feels like a kid's toy. The cover on the memory card slot won't go back in and stay in after you insert the card. Not cool for something that costs this much.

-The GPS just plain didn't work. Couldn't get it to lock onto a satellite after driving around for over an hour in the car (no I am not going to stand outside in on place with it until it locks on as a Nokia tech suggested, at lest not right now in the middle of winter in New Hampshire).

-The web browser works well and is nicely done. I used it extensively and had no trouble reading the screen or navigating.

-Nice that it supports IM's but why not support the largest IM network on the planet, AIM? So I loaded Gismo to use its AIM chat capability, didn't work. Made phone calls just fine, just the IM's didn't work.

-Email is barebones to say the least and I couldn't get it to send mail on one account. I know all the setting ere correct but it just wasn't happy. Tried Claws too and that didn't work either.

-I realized there was little or no Mac support (we are a 100% Mac shop) but I figured I could do software updates using Parallel or Boot Camp. No such luck according to the friendly Nokia tech who said "it works some of the time and not others." That was the final straw, that was when it went back in the box and got returned.

I figure with some time and determination I could have worked through the other issues but why should I? This is being marketed as a consumer ready platform and it isn't. I see it is a slick piece of hardware that has huge potential and if I were making my living running networks, programming, etc. It would still be in my pocket. However, I don't and what I need is an internet tablet that does all the things the N810 is supposed to do but actually does them out of the box and does them well. Oh yes, does them well and is better put together than the N810 is. Shame, shame Nokia.

ok, i just quote the whole thing, so this is long
i completely agree with you on somethings, but you understand this is really a side project, and really isnt consumer ready, for IM you could use pidgin, or jabber(i think, dont actually use), really this is for internet browsing, and anything else, they're giving to the programmers, and just supplying some hardware, so i agree with your sentiments, but i do feel some things needed explanation.
as far as i can see, the N810 was really kept pretty quiet, really it was just caught with the touchscreen hype,
thats all

asqwasqw
2007-12-18, 04:38
Does this adapter allow you to plug in the USB cable to the 810's power input? Sorry I didn't know they made adapters like this.. do you have a screen shot or link to an ebay auction selling this? Thanks! :)
no, it just goes to the power charging slot, the usb is for the computer, or whatever you would use

locusf
2007-12-18, 15:39
Purchased From: www.verkkokauppa.com, for 449 €
Purchase/Arrival Date: 10/17/2007 / 12/17/2007

-Look
-3rd party applications
-Keyboard, takes a little practise but its good

Dislikes:
-Slow network, payment for longer battery life
-Battery life, but this is just natural

Favorite Apps:
-Vagalume
-Pidgin
-Xournal

chippy
2007-12-18, 21:13
Compared to a laptop, sure. Smaller = less powerful processor so yeah. But I understand this so Im OK with that. A more powerful processor would use more power and lower the battery life...

I'm not comparing to a laptop. I'm comparing to a close competitor of the N810, the Raon Digital Everun. Its bigger, not pocketable, but its far more worthy of the term 'internet tablet' than the N810 is.

Just bear in mind, that those apps didn't even work at all on the 770 and even the N800!

Whether it works or not on a 770 or 800 is irrelevant.

Not noticed these problems. Did you try switching on the virtual memory in the control panel?

Will try that. Thanks.
Another example of problems consumers might have though?

These are harsh words perhaps. Its not a laptop and never will be.

I don't own a laptop. Never have, so I can't compare it. I'm comparing with mobile compters, handtops, ultra mobiles etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve.

chippy
2007-12-18, 21:29
There is no need for Meebo when there is built in IM support for Jabber/SIP/Gtalk and Pidgin if you don't want to set up Jabber (with other gateways). Meebo would be a complete last resort IMO.

The same would go for Gmail via the web vs. setting it up as a POP or IMAP account for Claws or Modest mail.

No, there *is* a need for Meebo. Apart from the simple fact that its a web page and it should work on an internet tablet...
I want a log of all my chats available from any internet browser. I want to be able to log int without having to fiddle with apps and set up all the IM accounts.
I was a long-time (5+ years) user of Gaim and Trillian but those apps are out of my life now!

Regarding Gmail, have you ever tried searching through a GB of emails for an address, someone's name using client-side apps on a low-end device? Maybe Gmail IMAP supports server side searching, i'm not sure. Having a 6GB online, backed up, available from anywhere, instantly searchable and filterable mailbox is so much nicer than a client-side app for me.

The same issue 'configuration' as above also applies. I use gmail web interface on all my PCs and, as long as I have internet, its there and I don't have to set anything up. I used to use Thunderbird, Outlook, Kmail but thankfully those days are over!

As you see, I disagree!! For me, the web route is far better than any other. Cheaper too! (even though I spend a large proportion, too much!, of my apps budget on a 3.5G data contract as a back-up to my broadband.)

Regards
Steve.

Ted Harris
2007-12-19, 03:54
ok, i just quote the whole thing, so this is long
i completely agree with you on somethings, but you understand this is really a side project, and really isnt consumer ready,

We completely agree that it isn't consumer ready. OTOH, if it's not consumer ready why is it so readily available for typical consumer outlets in the US (e.g. Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)?

eber42
2007-12-19, 21:41
Purchased From: Nokia boutique
Purchase/Arrival Date:19/12/07

Here is some thought after my first day with N810 without any real internet access (so no software upgrade or anything) :

- Very nice hardware (really! any shiny pocket-pc looks like crap in comparison) Keyboard, GPS, big screen and so on ...
- Hey it's a Linux box in my pocket !
- loudspeaker incredibly good for a device this size
- I love the multi-colored flashing led in the corner, it so cool !
- Easy configuration : just tell who is your phone carrier and it's ready to connect using your bluetooth phone. Bluetooth keyboard is just some clicks away too.
- Really pocketable device
- Browsing experience seems to be very good (but just tried 5 minutes when coming back home).

Dislikes:
- seems far less rugged than N800 (will probably not survive its first fall)
- very slippery material makes it insecure to hold (if someone bumps into you, you're sure to drop the thing ...). Bad for a mobile device.
- No easy solution to attach a wrist strap (cf. previous point)
- No hard cover for screen. Default case is nice (i like the color a lot) but offers no protection at all for the screen. If i don't drop it, it will probably die from a cracked screen. I'll use at least some Brando screen sheet.
- One handed operation difficult / no jogdial or controls easy to use with one hand for navigation
- Proprietary connectors (power and USB). Stupid, stupid Nokia !!! Please just a standard mini-usb for data & power !
- Software package abysmal -- in fact it's a good point : it means it's still a hacker playground !
- Really confusing power options (is the device really on or off or something between ?)
- GPS does not work (but i'll try outside next time)

Favorite Apps:
- huh without internet access ... osso xterm ? :-)

georgea722
2007-12-23, 18:33
Purchased From: buy.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: dec2,2007 for $430

Likes: wow- even after tons of reading about the n810 to hold it in man hand blew me away. It's great! I'm a commuter and will use the heck out of the new features. I really enjoy the new OS and can see it getting even smoother in time. I've had a n770 and been very impressed with it (especially from 2005). I think at $100ish the N770 is still a hugely successful device for many reasons.

Dislikes: neglected to buy a 4gb class 6 mini sdhc when I ordered it. Why does N810 have one a 2gb internal (and why can't that be upgraded?) It would be fun if they could squeeze IR into it so it could control my home theater and lights.

Favorite Apps: sure, it may not be as consumer-ready as could be, but it is the possibility of what can be that makes the n810 so exciting. heck, it takes half a day to get any new computer sorted out, properly outfitted, and rolling. There is already terrific community support. I'll be jumping for joy when I can video-conference with friends at their laptops.

Future: I hope next year we're all upgrading to the next N8xx with wimax!

deadmalc
2007-12-23, 21:01
Purchased From: Nokia Online Shop UK
Purchase/Arrival Date: 20/12/2007

The Keyboard really makes it so much more usable
The camera is massively improved with the light sensor
Seems a little faster

Dislikes:
1. GPS is painfully slow (I have an external GPS which I use in my car so not really bothered, it is very handy having an onboard one)
2. Memory card fitting is a nightmare.
3. USB is completely stuffed, it seems to lock the memory card and get the tablet itself in a complete state requiring me to remove the battery to get it back into a sane state. (thankfully I have an N800 so I connect that up for transferring files, which is a bit of a pain! (and that is running OS2008) )

Favorite Apps:
Gizmo
Modest
Canola2

I seriously hope the USB fiasco get's sorted soon!
Also the map app seemed to crash every time I tried to update the settings manually, however now it has "auto-updated" it seems fine

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-23, 21:24
3. USB is completely stuffed, it seems to lock the memory card and get the tablet itself in a complete state requiring me to remove the battery to get it back into a sane state. (thankfully I have an N800 so I connect that up for transferring files, which is a bit of a pain! (and that is running OS2008) )

Have you tried to umount (or safely remove, as the case may be)the 2 drives from your desktop before unplugging the cable? I mount/unmount many times a day without ever needing to even turn the N810 off. If you are doing this, then perhaps something is wrong with your cable or usb hub or usb port?

deadmalc
2007-12-23, 22:47
I always unmount the "drives" before I unplug, there is definately nothing wrong with the usb port as I use it for my n800 and other usb drives and haven't had a problem before.
No way of knowing if it is the cable, but I doubt it as it see's the drives ok, then everything goes badly wrong after I use it.
Given my current experience with the N800 and N810 I'd say there is something badly wrong with the memory card handling somewhere.
I've had some weirdness on my n800 since upgrading to OS2008 related to memory cards, (had to take battery out for 5mins) all stable now, but I'm leaving them well alone for the moment until my USB sd-card reader arrives then I can shutdown my N810/N800 take the card out transfer data to/from it and then put it back in - just way too unreliable and I don't want to lose data again.

Unless there is a formatting difference between the N810 and N800 and it's the swapping them around that stuffs them?

mmmm....I'll try reformating my external and see if that helps
(it seems to have helped, maybe that is all it is?)

Is there anyway of "securing" the memory card in as it may be slipping out?

Cheers,

Malc

JamaisCascio
2007-12-23, 22:58
Purchased From: Didn't. Nokia sent it to me after some consulting work.
Arrival Date: December 20.

I sum up my thoughts here: http://www.openthefuture.com/2007/12/touchy_touchy.html

In short: some improvements over the N800, but not enough to warrant the price delta. Some brain-dead decisions by Nokia (miniSD, microUSB), but not enough to make me stop using it.

lpotter
2007-12-25, 20:20
Purchased From: somewhere in california, our USA office purchased it

has a nice sturdy feel to it.

GPS

Dislikes:

The pull out keyboard is a big disappointment. The keys are too close together and hard to discern from one another, even with my skinny fingers. I keep hitting the wrong keys. The Zaurus keyboards are much easier to type with.

As well, why isn't a camera app included? I do prefer the pull out and rotatable camera of the n800.

Not enough open source/too much proprietary closed software.

Keyboard backlight turns off while keyboard is pulled out. This is irritating at night.

The desktop applets are not lockable like on the n800. They keep moving around and often find myself fumbling to move them to find an applets underneath.

Favorite Apps:

maemo mapper.

tz1
2007-12-30, 15:48
Purchased: 12/15 from a CompUSA in Des Moines IA (3 hour drive, but they had it in stock which by then no one else - even online - and at 20% off since they were closing).

I'm really impressed.

Everything works well. The speakers are loud enough and clear for such a small device. I don't think I've been below 3/4 full on the battery. Bluetooth goes without effort to the other side of the office. Wifi picks up APs as well as my MacBookPro. GPS is good for the size/space/power, but I'll probably use an external one most of the time. The BT headset switchover works well.

Screen loses color saturation in sunlight but is still very readable (a key reason for the n810 over the n800). I've not seen the OLPC/XO but it might be the only real competitor. Keyboard works well - having it lighted is useful too (there isn't enough screen real-estate to have the tapboard up all the time).

It runs linux so I have VNC both ways, ssh, etc.

Sometimes the web access is a bit slow, but not unexpected for the device (and huge web pages. Adblock and greasemonkey with a blockflash script helps a great deal). YouTube and other Flash9 multimedia work great.

RSS needs to "open in new window" for links. Missing windows media codecs for speech
or such (Win Mobile for ARM processors has them as: wmsdmod.dll wmadmod.dll wmvdmod.dll), so a small number of streams aren't accessible. They aren't on the iPod/iPhone either though.

Hate list: I NEVER have typed the euro or pound symbol, but since I hack linux I use the or bar ("|") and control keys. I keep putting my left thumb over the ambient light sensor so the screen dims. Keyboard doesn't seem to latch fully. USB port covered by the stand. Only OEM chargers indicate full. The "lock/unlock" sometimes sticks - the LED flashing as an indicator would help. The power switch also doesn't feedback well.

They need to include the two adapters I mention in another thread from Amazon with the unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y032X8/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2AEQDVIRS7DQS&colid=2AMZC5EDCTPTU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RFX24/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITLH821Q43D66&colid=2AMZC5EDCTPTU

And/or a car adapter. They include the vehicle mount.

Although it has some proprietary software, it is real Linux - USB host mode works, I can add kernel modules, and I use Gnumeric, and the shell and system is all familiar (I do embedded linux professionally).

Zandy1123
2007-12-30, 16:37
Purchased From: micro center - Houston, TX
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12/29/07

beautiful screen, great web experience, handy qwert keyboard, linux OS, impressive battery life, excellent multimedia performance, decent number of apps & add-ons...it's really a pretty little machine!

Dislikes:

gps slow to connect, won't do my laundry for me

Favorite Apps:

so far - web browser, internet radio

Comments:

I'm an IT n00b...and a linux n00b, but I was able to flash my n810 to the latest os2008 last night using my EEE PC. I was pretty happy about that! I have fairly large hands, but the small qwerty keyboard doesn't seem to hinder me....I'm writing this from my n810!

all in all, I'm happy and very impressed with this device. is there room for improvement? sure, but it really does everything I need it to do...and it does the job well.

lemmy
2007-12-31, 19:11
London, UK
Purchased 12 Dec at play.com

This is my first IT and my first brush with Linux. I got my hands on the N810 on Christmas Day but I've only been able to use it for the last 3 days.

First impressions are that it's pretty much what I was looking for though I do require PIM software to be installed. Screen is lovely and the keyboard is good, for my fingers at least.

First thing I did was install the OS upgrade which went without a hitch and took around 30 minutes from start to finish including download.
I then tried YouTube which is excellent, a bit choppy with some sequences but on the music ones I like perfectly smooth.

I've sorted the PIM stuff out. First I had to come to terms with repos and all that stuff but didn't find it difficult, thanks to many helpful and clear contributions on this forum. (The manual is a waste of space in my opinion)

I installed GPE Calendar, ToDo and Contacts. Then I signed up on Google Calendar. Then I installed Erminig. This complained of missing libraries which I downloaded one by one. But it all stalled on the python-runtime which I could only find in corrupted form (see elsewhere on the forum!).

I solved this by clearing all Application Manager catalogues and making a new entry called All at web address http://stage.maemo.org.extras. This worked well (thanks again to various forum members).

I then filled in a few details in Erminig and -wahay! It alo synced up first go. Brilliant. I now have a PIM system, on IT and PC that comes somewhere near my Palm TX - which is headed for eBay.

I've also installed Eggtimer, Password Safe and Camera.

I intend to install maemo Mapping soon. All in all, Linux ain't that hard to use. I tend to learn things hands on and this proves to be an easy way to get to know the N810.

Great piece of kit. it's cut my TV viewing by half. I don't think I've even scratched its potential yet. I intend to learn Python and do a bit of programming for it myself.

What don't I like? The poor Nokia documentation. The ambiguity over standby/ turnoff. Do I switch it off - or let it idle? And with Linux, the number of people who use what looks like gobbledegook instead of English.

Luckily, this forum is a fantastic tool and I thank the all organisers and contributors for it.

brianjdoherty
2007-12-31, 22:07
Purchased From: Amazon.com

- Feels pretty good in your hand, fun to use. Impresses by-standers quite a bit.
- I like the keyboard. Slides in and out in a good way. The D-pad actually works better than it seems like it will; learning to just trust it helps.
- It's smart about a lot of things, like not popping up on-screen keyboards if hardware keyboard is open, connecting to a variety of networks w/o any fuss, guessing words as you type, lighting up keyboard when needed. If you hide the browser's toolbar in full-screen view, it pops up briefly when you're connecting to a new page. Nice!
- It connected to my Treo 680 via BT w/ no problem, and uses the Treo's Cingular network connection when WiFi isn't around.
- Full-screen view is wonderful. Clarity/sharpness seems great. Desktop theme is attractive and easy to customize.
- Speakers are loud and clear. Sitting it on its stand and letting Internet Radio run is pretty cool.

Dislikes:
- A bit slippery, and rattles when shaken side-to-side. (I may try putting a bit of electrical tape on the battery to see if that solves the rattle.) Definitely not that desirable "slab of metal" feel I'd like, but that's part of the deal w/ a slide-out keyboard I guess.
- I'm OK with the D-pad being on the slider, but I'd love to also have page-up/down keys on the face. Maybe on the right, just like the existing buttons on the left? (Are you listening, Nokia?)
- Some apps have the wide page-scroller bar on the right, but most don't. That tiny scrollbar is impossible to get to with your finger! Page flicking is interesting, but sometimes I want to grab the scrollbar and move down a long page. Links/text-entry fields in the web browser are small and can be tough to select, too.
- More unique cables to stow - USB cable is not mini-USB, and doesn't charge the device. The new Nokia charger seems like the pin could easily break, and it could stand to fit more snugly. It does use a standard headphone port, though.
- Email support is weak for power-users, and otherwise this device seems best suited to power-users! I don't plan on using this thing as a PIM, since my Treo does that quite well. Checking email when I get an attached PDF to read, though, would be nice. I've got the Modest email client installed; it's better, but still isn't as good as I'd like to see w/ its support for IMAP folders. Can't Nokia adapt Thunderbird to the Maemo interface the way they did for Firefox?
- Documentation: As noted by others, this is a real weak point. Come on, Nokia - what do those blinking lights mean, anyway? I had to turn them off!

Favorite Apps:
Let's face it, most of us got this thing at least in part because you can do a lot of messing around with it. I downloaded and installed quite a few apps, but have now found that many of the built-in ones work pretty well if given a chance.
- Maps (the built-in one): I purchased the nav option, and it works great! True, the GPS won't lock to the satellites indoors, but what do you want? It works like a charm in my car, and I hardly ever need to navigate when I'm in my kitchen. :-) I just sit the device in the ashtray area forward of the shifter, and it locks on in less than 2 minutes. That works for me. So far, the POI database seems very complete. (Note: it says "voice-guided turn-by-turn". This is true, but it does not call out the streets by name. I had another GPS for a while that did do this, and it was nice. I find, though, that it really doesn't matter that much, at least for me.) Unlike some of the other posters, I couldn't get Maemo Mapper to work at all. It couldn't find the GPS unless Maps was also running. Then after a LONG delay, it placed me in the next street over!
- Media player: Very usable and attractive interface. I installed Canola2 beta, and love its look and feel. However, I find it to be flaky for anything except photos, so I reverted to Media player for my everyday music & podcast needs. I even like the included headphones, which wasn't true at all for the Nokia phone I got a few years ago.
- RSS reader: Looking at these over my morning coffee is nice. Feeds with attachments, like podcasts, can be downloaded right to the device. I imported my feeds from bloglines no problem, right from the device's web browser. My ipod/itunes combo seems like a bit of a pain in comparison.
- omweather: Gotta have a desktop weather widget, right? (Oops, I mean applet!) Not sure why this wasn't included in OS2008, but this one is easy to get and set up.

troozers
2008-01-01, 15:35
Country - UK
Purchased from - play.com
Purchase Date - 22.Dec.2007

Size - it's a much better fit in my pocket than previous versions.
Keyboard - granted the size gets some getting used to, however it's a much better method of typing than with the stylus (for me anyways)
UI - OOooooh pretty.. seriously a great improvement :D

Dislikes
Position of fullscreen and zoom buttons when using the keyboard.
Webcam - hmmm, same quality as n800 but without the funky rotate ability.
Repos - these seem to be broken at the moment, but easily fixable soon :p

I am hugely happy with my new n810 and havent put it down since the day i got it. Hopefully the repo probs will be sorted soon, but this hasn't stopped me putting on my fave apps;

Pidgin
maemo mapper

Will be even happier when canola matures (e.g. proper cover art functionality) and pidgin finally gets webcam support.

I now have to think what i can do with my n770 and n800!! seriously like the idea of a using n800 as a wardriving machine for my security work :)

morrison
2008-01-02, 02:58
I now have to think what i can do with my n770 and n800!! seriously like the idea of a using n800 as a wardriving machine for my security work :)

Couldn't you just use your 810 for that as well?

gutterboy
2008-01-04, 17:02
picked my 810 up last night. currently taking a **** at work while typing this. nuff said.

jibanes
2008-01-04, 17:19
I like my n810 alright, it's a nice pda/pmp, it does the job, a little pricey but I like the convenience of linux on it. Now I need to use it more.

georgea722
2008-01-05, 20:20
first impressions were that it definately does some things great right out of the box and that a huge world of options were out there for anyone who wanted to learn about them. Being really busy during the holidays, I hadn't had the change to get into it much. Here's a quick example of how much this thing has rocked for me in just the short time I've had it:
wife called to say heat in car wasn't working. I hit the n810's google bar to get some articles about why and learned about the heating components. I froogled the part to see makes and prices. I local searched the part to a nearby autostore, gizmo called to see if it was in stock, and used maps to get directions. After arriving at store, they couldn't actually find it <critical misstep not asking by phone for them to touch part>. I used their website to see other locations, show picture of the correct part, check other autostores. They called to confirm part in stock at next nearest store and hold for me. I walked out door and used GPS to drive to other store. Used net to review tools required and view install procedure while upside down under dashboard (no laptop would fit there). Listened to internet radio. $30 and 3 hours total to aquire and install, heat works in car; wife very happy. Next day I called local autorepair shop to check= $400 saved. Wife no longer gives me any crap whatsoever about how much nokia toy cost. note to self, do not have a beer with neighbor before being upside down for an hour.

it ain't saving the world yet, but it's really cool.

james415
2008-01-06, 03:38
@above: It is cool to hear about people using stuff like this to actually improve their lives in a realistic way. This thing will not cure world hunger, but if we have realistic expectations, I think most people would agree the n810 is pretty nice.

Personally, I use mine as a way to make life easier when traveling. Itineraries at the airport, movies on the plane, email at the hotel, notes in the board room. It is a nice way to bring things together.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone. It is a little pricey if all you need is an mp3 player, but anyone with more needs should look into this.

Cheers,

grannygeek
2008-01-08, 04:14
I've been waiting since November and finally received my N810 today. I'm in the US and had ordered from PROVANTAGE. I have been reading the posts daily and making a list of the covers, USB cable, data card and apps I wanted. I was anxious to start coding in python and make it my own. I held it in my hands. It has a wonderful feel to it. I put in the battery and plugged it in. I left it plugged in for 4 hours, requiring much self-discipline since I was at work. After 5 I tried to turn it on. It does not work! I don't want to send it back. I asked for help on the newbie thread but I'm steeling myself to send it back for repair. I sacrificed for this baby.

nobodysbusiness
2008-01-09, 17:17
I just got my new N810 tonight, and I'm already indebted to the ITT people. Whoever it was that wrote about the penny pinching screen protector (I can't seem to find that thread with the search function right now), I just want to give you a big thanks. Incidentally, I did modify the procedure a bit. After carefully removing the two stickers, one of them left a patch of sticky silver diamonds on the screen protector. I remember the thread mentioning that they could be removed with a particular type of screen cleaning solution, which I didn't have, unfortunately. Obviously, I didn't want to wait to use my N810, so I took out a bottle of something called Goo-Gone. It's a cleaner meant for removing sticky glue patches from things. I put a little bit on a paper towel and rubbed it on the screen, and the glue residue did eventually come off. It takes a fair bit of time and patience, but I think it worked out okay in the end. YMMV.

- It is so small and sleek. I love the metal finish.
- The screen is beautiful! It is so bright and crisp. Even looking at the little blue bubbles of the default background takes my breath away. This is my first pocket-size computer, so I'm probably more impressed than people who have owned other devices though.
- Based on some other threads, some people seem to think the N810 doesn't offer a good web-experience. One particular post suggested that the web wasn't fun on an N810. Well, I disagree. Perhaps it's just the web-sites that I visit, but I think reddit, wired, ITT and loads of other sites work just fine. I was preparing myself for the worst, and have now been pleasantly surprised.
- The software is open source! Most people don't mention this in their first impressions posts, but I don't think it's possible to underestimate how important this is. Even when Nokia drops support for the N810, as long as there are users, there will be software updates. And it seems very hackable too. They have xterm installed by default.
- I'm also glad that it comes with the aforementioned DIY screen protector. I still think Nokia could have gone one better and just shipped it with the screen protector in place and no annoying stickers, but you can't have everything, I guess.
- It fits in my pocket so well. It's slightly longer than my wallet, but slightly narrower as well. I'm sure this will be a constant companion for a long time.

Dislikes (and everything here is an extremely minor quibble):
- Boy, the documentation is really sucky. People had mentioned this before, but still... (good thing we have ITT)
- The first time I tried to open the battery cover, it seemed to stick a little bit. I pushed the cover closed completely and then hit the release switch a second time, and it popped right open. Not really a major thing, but I suppose if I had been less cautious about my new baby, perhaps I could have bent the metal back by trying to force it open.

turbo1negro
2008-01-09, 18:45
Purchased From: Best Buy of Mount Vernon
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12/29/2007

Dislikes: Metal finish is slippery

Favorite Apps: Kagu

symbiat
2008-01-10, 21:03
- A shame the USB port isn't the same mini-usb as many of my other devices

Well, it looks like the phone carriers and manufacturers have standardized on micro USB as the universal connector for phones and mobile devices.

So maybe Nokia's change was in anticipation of this standard ratification?

http://www.omtp.org/news/news_pr_universal_cable.html

ArnimS
2008-01-12, 08:51
Purchased From: Best Buy of Mount Vernon
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12/29/2007

Dislikes: Metal finish is slippery

Favorite Apps: Kagu

I know i've requested this in another thread, but the speakers on my n810 have a distorted rattly sound, and are much quieter than the single speaker on the 770.

Would appreciate anyone who considers themselves to have good hearing to comment on speaker sound quality and volume vs older tablets. I'm trying to decide whether mine is defective.

Angelodp
2008-01-12, 15:18
Just got my n810 yesterday. This is a major piece of hardware! This gorgeous device absolutely blows away the Palm/HP PDAs. Which leads me to my primary peeve: Software.

Were it not for the lack of software, there would be no reason why the N810 cannot be a serious contender in the PDA market, or even as a notebook replacement.

In my opinion, Nokia should develop a decent set of apps that handle basic "office" productivity. MS Word is the worldwide standard for word processing. How about an MS word-compatible word processor?

lemmy
2008-01-12, 16:47
I agree completely. I think though, that Nokia is unsure what its market is with this device.

I bought it because it was the next logical step from my Palm TX. But many people, often those who previously had N770s and 800s are on the technical side of things and simply want 'net access on a tiny Linux computer.

In other words, for me it's a Palm with laptop capabilities, for them it's a laptop that goes in their pocket.

With the Palm, you got lots of software development because people (including me to a small extent) can make money from it. With the open source movement- and I'm a great admirer of it - you get what someone chooses to supply from the goodness of their heart.

What I'd like is for there to be a mix, so that I could buy slick commercial style software, a Win/ Mac/ Linux syncable PIM, for example, if I wanted. But why would someone, Nokia included, spend money developing software that in at least 'good enough' form can be obtained for nothing?

Nokia could corner the PDA market with this machine - who would want a Win Mob box after trying an 810? - but I don't think they are interested. Maybe, compared with phones, simply not a big enough market?

I'd love to know Nokia's take on this!

heron61
2008-01-12, 21:06
Just got my n810 yesterday. This is a major piece of hardware! This gorgeous device absolutely blows away the Palm/HP PDAs. Which leads me to my primary peeve: Software.

Were it not for the lack of software, there would be no reason why the N810 cannot be a serious contender in the PDA market, or even as a notebook replacement.

In my opinion, Nokia should develop a decent set of apps that handle basic "office" productivity. MS Word is the worldwide standard for word processing. How about an MS word-compatible word processor?I completely agree. I'm holding out on buying one until either the software improves or someone comes out with something with equivalent hardware and good PIM, word processing, media playing and web browsing software. The n810 only has the last 2, and that's simply insufficient. I love what I've seen of the hardware, but I also have absolutely no interest in becoming a linux expert just to use a device. If it were possible to reflash it to Windows Mobile 6 or if the Palm emulator could be made full screen, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

callanish
2008-01-13, 00:41
Received my N810 earlier in the week and have had a bit of quality time to use it and set it up the way I want, so here's a couple of observations for anyone that's just purchased or would like another opinion.

First thing I did was create a virtual memory space of 128MB. In my case, bad idea. Must be that My Kingston 4GB is too slow because it slowed down my browser speed. Speaking of browser speed, I couldn't figure out why web pages were rendering so slow because I've got a fast enough wi-fi connection. Turns out the fit width to view setting was the reason. After unchecking that, I'm pretty happy with the browser speed considering the battery life I'm getting and that's with the unit always on standby ( Getting used to not having to turn it off ). 10 days on standby......yikes!!

For those that love reading, I think FBreader with page layout in book form on the Nokia has been brilliant for me. Used Convert Doc and doc reader to turn all my pdf/html/txt files into pdb books which were all perfectly organized and readable in FBreader and the multifunction buttons on the Nokia for next and back page works great for book reading ( coming from a handspring treo, this is a revelation in itself ).

I also found Allok's Ipod (forgive me) to video converter perfect for all my video conversions creating stuttering free motion on the N810 and the ability to boost the volume of the files helps which is an area I think the Nokia is lacking ( using creative ep630 buds ); it doesn't go loud enough.

As for the overall experience, I really can't complain. I know it was pretty pricey, but for all this technology in a compact package, solidly built and pretty user friendly, I'd say it's a winner.

My beefs are minor....Like I said before, would like more volume out of the speakers and the headphone jack. Would have liked the e-mail program to work right out of the box, but crashed on a imap account and couldn't get it to start again without an error showing up. Tried Claws, but also had error problems. Modest beta solved all my problems. Wish I could arrange Bookmarks in the browser exactly as I want them laid out ( not just dragging and dropping). Wish I could arrange the program layout on the menu exactly how I want it. Wish the browsing was just a bit faster, but I know it's a tradeoff between portability and battery life. Would like finger scrolling in webpages to be more user friendly like the Ipod touch / phone, but that could be a possibility with a future software upgrade and last but not least, since I'm a windows user and linux is like a foreign language to me ( no fault of linux, but requires a bit of education ); I wish the installation of software was a little bit easier as I've tried to install some software then hit a brick wall. Still trying to get Quake 1 on the Nokia as well as Quake's 2 expansion packs installed. Need to try to follow directions more closely.

So, that's it. If you are thinking about purchasing the Nokia N810 and are willing to deal with a few quirps and a little bit of learning especially if you are a new linux user, then I think you'll be happy with the N810. The size of it blew me away and the thought of future software development makes me drool at the possibilities.

Angelodp
2008-01-13, 19:43
I completely agree. I'm holding out on buying one until either the software improves or someone comes out with something with equivalent hardware and good PIM, word processing, media playing and web browsing software. The n810 only has the last 2, and that's simply insufficient. I love what I've seen of the hardware, but I also have absolutely no interest in becoming a linux expert just to use a device. If it were possible to reflash it to Windows Mobile 6 or if the Palm emulator could be made full screen, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

My friend, I have owned 4 HP handheld devices. I have nothing against MicroSoft. But believe me, once you have used the n810 you will view the various Windows Mobile platforms as what they are -- amateurish, clunky, and dysfunctional. I have now owned my device for two days, and I like it more every time I turn it on. The Garnet emulator is fabulous. I was able to get a grandmaster-strength chess program on the thing and it works like a charm. I'm also investigating various alternatives for office productivity.

To answer a previous poster as to why Nokia (or anyone else) might consider developing software for this device: First of all they do not necessarily need to give it away. I would pay for something that gave me MS word compatibility, as I think many owners would. Second, even if they have to give it away, they'd sell tens of thousands more of these devices.

The n810 is SO close to being a fully functional every-day portable computer. In my opinion, a device like this could be a paradigm-changer. For example, I just downloaded a Linux distro and intend to install it on one of my computers. Who knows where that will lead?

here.david
2008-01-15, 20:45
Purchased From: Dell
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12/7/07/1/14/08

Display is awesome hard to think it would be better than my N770, Keyboard -if it was a little more functional would be as great as the display, Most functions are faster such as transferring files and when I ssh into it, it really moves

Dislikes: :(

Camera is poor - very grainy, GPS (tomtom on my N82 shines as well as mobile Gmaps), Web still w-a-y to s-l-o-w, no video conference, internal 2GB memory, costs

Favorite Apps:

canola
gizmo
load-applet
Midnight Commander
openssh

Overall I am more than happy with the 810. It feels way snappier than my 770 (2007HE). As a Video/Music/e-mail/Linux, device the best, everything else is a work-in-progess.

bblackmoor
2008-01-21, 23:39
Purchased from (and returned to): Buy.com
Arrival date: 2008-01-16
Dislikes: Pretty much everything else.

I was very excited to get my hands on a n810. I have been virtually drooling over them since I first read about them last autumn, and mine finally arrived last week.

Unfortunately, not only does it not do what I have using my Palm for for the better part of a decade, it also does not do what I would want a Linux handheld to do.

No desktop sync, no decent PIM apps, and the Garnet VM is, shall we say, not a replacement for a real Palm (not even close). So it won’t replace my Palm T5.

Meanwhile, I can’t install or compile the vast majority of Linux applications, including Shadow Plan, OpenOffice, and a host of others. So it won’t take the place of a laptop, even for such a basic task as working on a report while riding the train to work.

What it does do very well is surf the web. If you happen to be standing near a WiFi hotspot. Whee.

I am returning mine. Maybe some day there will be a Linux handheld that can replace my Palm T5, but the Nokia n810 is not it.

What I do not understand is why this is so difficult to accomplish. PIMs are not new. Desktop sync is not new. Palm has been doing it for years. We have better hardware, faster processors, higher-resolution screens, better batteries, more memory than anyone has ever had before. So what’s the obstacle? Where is the Linux based Palm-killer? Not even “killer” — merely “replacement”. Where is it? Where?

So I am sending the Nokia n810 back, and contemplating ordering a Palm TX. The TX would have a slightly faster Internet connection than my T5 (when I am near a hotspot), and thus would be able to *more* than replace the Nokia n810, which costs almost twice as much as the TX.

bblackmoor
2008-01-21, 23:45
In other words, for me it's a Palm with laptop capabilities, for them it's a laptop that goes in their pocket.

Sadly, it is neither one.

lemmy
2008-01-22, 00:32
I agree with everything you say but am just selling my TX in favour of the N810.It's true that the Palm does things the 810 doesn't but it's also true vice-versa. I've just eBayed a refrigerator and ordered a couple of books from Amazon during the ads on TV. On the 810, no sweat. No fun and next to impossible on the TX. OTOH, you have to kludge things a bit to get the PIM functions on the 810.
At the moment, software development for the Nokia is left to enthusiasts - more power to them - but I think that entrepreneurs will soon offer wares as well. Witness Wayfinder.
The bottom line for me is that Linux and the IT have a future and the Palm doesn't.
I've just tapped this out on my 810 while it plays blues web internet radio to me and picks up email from a mate working in the US. That's why I bought it.
You pay your money and make your choice but to criticize Palm for not being Nokia or Nokia for not being Palm is like criticizing a BMW for not being a Mercedes.
Given your needs, Blackmoor, I'd buy a TX, That's OK isn't it?

Texrat
2008-01-22, 00:55
What it does do very well is surf the web. If you happen to be standing near a WiFi hotspot.

Or, as many of us know, if you're tethered to a bluetooth phone and have a data plan. Not uncommon these days.

It's unfortunate you were disappointed with the N810... but it isn't advertised as a Palm substitute, and the lack of PIM features are well covered by reviewers and posters here. That should not have been a surprise.

morrison
2008-01-22, 07:50
...even for such a basic task as working on a report while riding the train to work.

lol!! That's not what the 810 was designed for. If you need to work on your reports on the way to work, you should ask your employer to buy you a laptop. Why would you even use a device you spent you own $$ on for your work.

fpp
2008-01-22, 21:59
All in all a nice device. Good looking, and the size reduction, albeit modest (compared to 770, not N800) still makes a big difference in pocketability. Nice screen, and OS2008 is shiny-shiny.

The full-screen and zoom buttons are back to sanity at last, after the sorry N800 episode : well separated, logically placed and accessible. Thank heavens. I was initially dubious about the "lock" button, but find myself getting used to it, and liking it.

The jury is still out on the keyboard, not enough practice. Feels very stiff, but with convenient layout (especially for deranged languages like French). D-pad is awkward. Guess I'll get used to it too.

As everybody else mentioned, not having the d-pad at the side of the screen (or at least some sort of vertical scrolling device) is a real regression. Also, needing the menu in a full-screen app means pulling out the slider, or else de-zoom, click menu, then re-zoom...

Now the real bummer : the "designer" who decided (on top of relocating the Menu button) to swap the positions of the Home and Escape buttons, should definitely be shot. This silly move means that long-time users of the 770 and/or N800 will tend to short-press or long-press the lower one (previously Home) to switch apps or reach the home screen - and actually go back one page in the browser, or close it altogether. And vice versa, of course. Not to mention they're so stiff as to be unusable. And there was much rejoicing... let that evil subgenius never cross my path ! (have I mentioned that I'm of the "hardware-key" sort ? :-)

There have been (unverified) rumours that cables with the new USB plug have been sighted just inside the orbit of Saturn, incoming. They probably will be widely available just before the N900 ships this Christmas, introducing the (presently draft) USB "nano" standard. There are also those who prophetize that there will be two sorts of cables that plug into that "micro" port, looking the same but with different results. Not safe for use in nuclear facilities, of course.

Lastly : miniSD - 'nuff said. I've seen el-cheapo, China-made toddler toys with a better build than that silly trap door that you can never fully open nor close (mine insists on sticking out a fraction of a millimeter whatever I do, snagging the stand every time I fold it back...).

Okay folks... I'm sure you can find more "creative ideas" to balance the actual innovations in the next model, irritate us and make us buy the one after that... so bring on stages 4 and 5, we're ready !!

Oh, and don't forget OS2008HE for good old 770, huh ? :-)

mwiktowy
2008-01-24, 08:27
I have had my N810 for a few days now. I had OS2008 installed on my N800 and like it very much but it is nearly identical on the N810 so that is not where the differences are. Here are my first impressions of the differences from the N800:

Keyboard: It is fairly comfortable. I found that using the stand as a gripping aid made it moreso. I did turn on the on screen keyboard though since sometimes that is still handier.

GPS: I had heard of the complaints regarding the slowness of GPS lock before I got the N810. I also had an external BT GPS for my N800. My opinion is that the N810 is adequate as it will connect (eventually) while sitting in the console of my vehicle. It is much slower to get a fix than my iBlue external GPS. This is partially because it is slower and also you have limited ability to position the antenna closer to the window.

Internal Fixed 2G Flash Drive: I vastly prefer the option to replace that internal card that the N800 offered. I got bitten by the memory card corruption bug. It did get cleared up with a reformatting of the memory but had there been a more serious problem, it would have been a much bigger deal to troubleshoot and repair. I can understand the need of having a more permanent storage space though and might lead to it official use as program installation space which would really open up possibilities.

USB OTG: I am excited about the ability of the N810 to auto-sense whether it should be a host or a client based on the type of OTG cable end plugged into it. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet though. Since this seems like a rather young standard, I am having a heck of a time sourcing some off the shelf components for doing so. I think I have found something but I will report back once I get my hands on them. Otherwise, it is cable hacking and soldering for me ... which I would like to avoid since my soldering skills are ... ummm ... nominal.

Stylus: I liked the fatter one from the N800 more. They seemed to go back to the very thin style of the 770.

Camera: The swivel ability of the N800 was pretty handy but it always seemed a bit flimsy to me. The new fix camera certainly decreases the convenience of taking pictures with the tablet but it does seem more mechanically robust. Maybe I will make a little clip-on periscope :]

Audio: The N800 had much better sound without a doubt. The bass response on the N810 is very much diminished ... even when setting it down on a surface. I did discover the the sound was a whole lot better when listened to from behind the unit while it was propped up on its stand. When listened to this way, there is not a huge difference between the two.

Back cover: The back cover of the N810 doesn't rattle like the N800's does. The battery is also not a chore to pry out of the back like the N800's was.

Buttons: The top edge buttons are much more functional now. It is great that Nokia reverted back to the 770 style buttons as it makes for way less stray button presses. Not so thrilled about losing the D-pad on the front face without opening the keyboard. The new D-pad is nice though. I guess I would choose the slight inconvenience and occasional UI issues of the hidden D-pad over a larger unit. The look and feel of the two front face buttons is not all that great. I am still trying to determine if my unit was manufactured incorrectly as the right-most edge of the buttons seem to be trapped under the front surface of the tablet. Since those buttons seem to work properly it is probably by design but it makes those buttons look and feel very weird.

Light sensor: A very good idea in theory. In practice, it has a few flaws. The positioning on the sensor is right where I seem to always want to rest my thumb ... making things go rather dim until I realize why and move it to a more awkward place. It is also slow to react. It takes a few seconds to take a new reading and readjust the brightness. A small complaint though.

Screen: The screen colour and texture looks very much the same as the N800. The touchscreen in quite responsive ... maybe even too much so sometimes but I am not going to complain about that. The brightness is fantastic. Also the trans-reflective nature of it makes the N810 much more useful in broad daylight than the N800. The N800 was pretty much useless in direct sun unless you made a little dark cave for it with your arm in order to find the brightness applet ... and people would look at you funny ... and even then it was a challenge to use without finding some shade. Definitely a huge improvement.

FMRadio: I didn't use it much as I found that having to have the headphones plugged in to use it was inconvenient so I don't miss it. Early reports of the N810 indicated that there would be an FM transmitter included but those seemed to go away and there is nothing indicating that it made it into the final hardware. It would be nice if it was in there though and show up as an easter egg like the N800's radio did. Doubtful.

Some repetition of the comments of others but that is the summary of all of my first impressions. Sorry for the post length.

mwiktowy
2008-01-24, 09:44
What I do not understand is why this is so difficult to accomplish. PIMs are not new. Desktop sync is not new.

What exactly do you mean when you say Desktop Sync and PIM? I just get the impression that those words mean very different things to different people and would like to know what you are lacking with the current tablet.

For me Desktop Sync was needed for PDAs that had volatile memory that didn't hold its state when the battery died. It made a backup of the entire memory that you could restore once you recharged it. Other people talk about Desktop Sync as syncing specific databases for specific applications. For that, you would have to indicate what applications you are missing being synced up.

There are PIM apps (all the GPE ones for starters) that are OK for the most part. They certainly could use some improvement but they are adequate for simple needs. GPE Calendar can be synced up with Google Calendar using Erminig and from there synced up with pretty much anything. There really isn't a great standard for keeping an online repository of contacts. The internal contact app has both an import and export (into a surprising number of different formats) functionality but fields limited to VoIP related stuff. The Openhand Contacts app works with the same database and allows you to add any number of other field types and I have found that rtcomm doesn't go into conniptions when you add stuff to the contacts it uses ... still experimenting with that to see how far the export goes when you do so though.

How does the current PIM situation fall flat for you?

mwiktowy
2008-01-24, 10:09

The way I have dealt with this is to avoid the AJAX interface to GMail and just use the HTML interface for good startup performance and the Mobile interface for screaming fast and efficient performance. For reference, my bookmarks for those are:

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/

and

https://mail.google.com/mail/x/

You can use just http:// at the beginning if you want even better performance but initially accessing GMail with a https:// causes the secure connection not to be dropped after authenticating. Therefore, your email will not be transmitted in plain-text over a wireless connection at a public access point. Not super important since email gets transmitted in plain-text between mail servers but a small thing that I like to do.

/Mike

mmcnamee
2008-01-24, 12:15

I've noticed several people mentioning the battery rattling around. It was annoying me too! Here's a fix..

1) Open the battery cover
2) Take a roll of Electrical Insulation Tape and cut 1 small (15mm) long pieces
3) Stick one on the left and one on the right top corners of the battery, so that about 10mm is on the battery, and about 5mm is on the smooth plastic of the inside of the N810
4) Replace battery cover

Job's done, no more rattling!! :-)

Hope that helps..

Mark

slha89
2008-01-26, 09:20
like:
- display
- linux
- design

dislike:
- keyboard: displaced because of pad
- keyboard is flat, so you type very often 2 keys at once (keyboard from a Nokia E61 is A LOT better!)
- pad should be next to the display, so I don't need to slide the keyboard if I only need the pad
- metal is slippery and vulnerable to scratches (a rubbery backside would help a lot and didn't hurt the finish, have a look at HTC touch)
- slide out mechanism feels a bit waggly
- long gps searching
- cam - why do we need cams if every 2nd company forbid cams?
- low video playing capabilities - even an aged iPaq 2200 can play MPEG2/MJPEG from digicams if it's cached - without converting!
- where are the (virtual) function keys (F1 - F12)? I can't close mc or use a console app which use functions keys (have a look at Putty on a Nokia E61!)
- rdesktop is very nice but there is no right mouse button. Controlling Windows becomes a little pain
- why they forgotten to compile mouse support by default. If I surf from the kitchen table, a small BT mouse could help a lot
- if I dream a bit: 10Hz GPS engine and motion sensors instead of a low quality cam - so we can use this ITT as a full driftbox (http://www.driftbox.com), engine tuning (maybe megatunix?) and analytics (carman)

All in all: if I spend ~$400 or €400, I would be a lot disappointed, mostly because the hardware (ergonomy and quality) is bad compared to my beloved Nokia E61. And the forgotten video rendering capabilities, mouse support and function keys. Then, the N810 could replace my laptop.

ghoonk
2008-01-26, 09:59
ah, a fellow track enthusiast! what car do you drive?

I'm using the PerformanceBox to review my timing and lines on trackdays. The Nokia Sport Tracker seems like it can be adapted for lap timing, and it would be great if the we culd output a log file that the Performance Box software can open and analyze (sans G readings)

slha89
2008-01-26, 19:14
offtopic answer: Opel Speedster (aka Vauxhall VX220 aka Lotus Elise/Exige) ... a great car!

phjnky
2008-01-31, 18:23
Purchased From: CDW
Purchase/Arrival Date: 1/31/2008

Linux
Build Quality
Graphics
Included SIP Client
Size & Weight
Multiple Input Methods

Dislikes:

Battery life could be better
Web Browser zooming could stand improvement

Favorite Apps:

SSH - remote management of routers etc.

The main concern I had was pairing my Verizon XV6800 (windows mobile 6 device) and using it for a Bluetooth DUN connection to the Verizon EVDO network.

Had to add bluetooth DUN back to the xv6800 but that was about it.. it worked right off the bat.

bluetooth dun connection to verizon through xv6800 speedtest.net

nothing to write home about but it may improve if/when we get a rev. a upgrade on the xv6800.

455 kbps down
114 kbps up

on edit.. thanks to all for the info here.. been reading and waiting for a week or so..

tigerchef
2008-02-08, 23:18
Hi Nokia N810 has got only GPRS, there is no EDGE in it. Will the browsing be fast in GPRS itself? or is the perfomance speed is good when we browse in N 810.

Has it got the better speed than N 800 mobel. Do you find any difference?

Please post me the reply or Just mail to my mail id.

It will be very helpfull, if you clear my doubt.

Thank you, good day.

slha89
2008-02-10, 09:07
Just one other "con":

Other apps are not well integrated into the Hildon Desktop environment.

Example: I delete my Imap account in the standard email app but mail notify reminds on new mails!? No Modest or even Claws-Mail comes up.
Other examples are addressbooks of GPE, Pimlico or Claws-Mail. They should replace the original addressbook system wide.

There should be a fave apps selector like in Gnome or KDE or I don't find it in the preferences menu.

bblackmoor
2008-02-12, 03:14
I do not know if anyone will care, but this is my first review:

http://www.blackgate.net/blog/index.php/verdict-on-the-nokia-n810-fail/

and my follow-up:

http://www.blackgate.net/blog/index.php/update-on-the-nokia-n810/

on the Nokia n810.

dchao
2008-02-21, 22:20
Just want to say hi to everyone. My N810 arrived a few days ago.

I wanted a internet device to replace my old hx4700, so I started searching. I've considerd the new iPaq 210, EeePC, iPod Touch, PSP.... everything. Since I am not a big gamer and music lover, the Touch and PSP just don't seem fit for me. I tried a EeePC, since it's not pocketable, I had to returned it, however the built quality was really average, specially that wrapped spacebar, and the whole thing was top-heavy.

210 looks exactly like my 4700. So I want to try the N810 with a wider screen for better web page rendering. And I am not disappointed. The web browser is excellent. I don't need a good PIM, since that stuff can be done on my cellphone. GPS is a little bit disappointing, but way better than the iPod Touch. N810's H264 decoder seems faster than the TCPMP+ffmpeg on my 4700, but not as smooth as the iPod Touch or PSP. (Looks like the N810 will only support baseline profile, so I have to re-encode some of my videos that's done with extended profile)

My conclusion so far, this device is promising, I am going to keep it and replace my 4700.

Stal
2008-02-28, 13:39
Hi all,

just thought id add my 2c to the mix. Had my N810 for about 2 weeks now and am loving it! Im using it for much more than i thought i would :D

I was looking for a device to use instead of my laptop that allowed me to do some browsing and other bits that was smaller than taking my laptop around. I was torn between the N800/N810 and an Ipod touch.

Im sorry to say i went for the ipod touch :( I was very impressed with the browsing experience on the device, and the ui in general. But after the initial wow factor wore off i realised i wanted something more. So i sold my ipod touch and went for an n810 (liked the smaller form factor than the n800..despite the price :s )

Havnt looked back since! I knew that running linux the n810 would be more quirky than the ipod touch, sometimes having to fiddle with things to get them working properly, but hey, its those little quirks that keep us interested ;)

Everytime i use the n810 i am discovering new things you can do with it, many of which ive been too scared to do, but still plenty of possibilities :D

[Likes:]
Form factor
Browser
Linux (despite being a linux n00b)
Video playback - MUCH better than expected!

[Dislikes:]
the only thing i can currently think of is the keyboard could have been slightly better - i find it awkward to press some of the keys at the center along the top, but still am happy using the keyboard.
Oh, and Gizmo - Would like a IM app with webcam support, but have STILL not been able to get my msn contacts added :mad:

[Favourite Apps:]
Browser
Video Centre
Pidgin

brontide
2008-03-02, 16:25
48 Hours with my n810

I am no stranger to the Nokia internet platform having played with a 770 for a few weeks last year. I found the whole experince to be lacking in many way. The unit was underpowered and both the it2006 and it 2007HE were promising, but buggy. But it was able to browse the internet via my cell phone.

Fast forward to recently. I've been lusting after an iPhone, but refuse to spend that kind of cash for a device and a 2 year lockin to AT&T. For that kind of cash I would much rather buy a MacBook, except I already have a Pro. The iPod touch was more suited to my capacity needs and my cost avoidance, but I have this sneaking suspicion that it will never be able to pair with my cell phone for use almost anywhere.

Which leads me full circle back to the NIT. As I started looking at my needs and costs I decided that I should give it another chance. I picked up a used n810 for a healty discount thanks to this site.

The it2008 software is a signifigant upgrade and the n810 hardware is a signigant upgrade in all respects. I installed the latest firmware as well as the rtcomm beta and Modest for Gmail access; I haven't had a problem yet. It's communication abilities are vastly improved. Not to say that the experience is perfect, but it is good enough for my immediate needs. Canola has also come quite a ways from the last time I tried it and I have actually gotten SyncTunes up and running so that I can keep a small selection of tracks ( even protected ones ) on the NIT. What I most approve of is the subtle changes like holding down the window change button will always bring you back to the home screen, the fact that opening the slider will unlock the screen, opening the slider and then closing the slider will relock the screen, and the wonderful LED indicator to show you at a glance if it needs your attention.

Sure the n810 is more expensive than the n800, but the hardware keypad and the transflective screen are well worh the extra bucks. Being more pockable is a nice bonus as well.

I do have a few complaints at this point. The battery cover is flimsy enough that I flex it when I am typing on the keypad. The built in chat software is also missing a lot of simple customzation that would improve it's appeal. Topping off the list of complaints is the lack luster GPS abilities, sure it might work in a pinch, but for most things it is close to useless.

This entire post was typed into notes and the copied to microb; not shabby if I do say so.

jacekjacek
2008-03-17, 17:46
Hello, i'm migrating to the tablet from palm. I've been looking to replace my palm tx. The n810 is a great device.

Purchased From: mobilecityonline
Purchase/Arrival Date:

Likes:Multitasking! Great screen. to my surprise, its pressure sensitive. nice for sketcing on maemopad+. battery life. The home screen applets are awesome.

Dislikes: Maps didn't work out of the box. I had to reformat the internal drive and acquire maps online. Also, the battery is loose on my device. I had to wrap a little electrical tape to prevent the device from turning off. It would shut down if i would spin or shake the device. Theses problems are fixed now, but I still cant find a good calendar application.

Favorite Apps: ?

With all these wonderful applications features, the nokia is not a PDA. It's a portable pc.

Gourmand
2008-04-01, 12:01
First impression - I would better buy N800...

N800 vs N810
+ Larger screen vs - Smaller screen
+ 2 SD cards (cheaper) = up to 64GB vs - 1 mini-SD and slow internal = up to 34 GB
+ mini-USB vs - micro-USB (damn expensive and hard to find)
+ price about $410 vs $670 in my country...
+ screen keyboard can be accessed with hard joy simultaneously vs - if you touch screen, then you can't move cursor by arrows...

keyboard can be external BT for N800
GPS can be external BT for N800 (even internal N810 GPS is useless in my country)
OS2008 саn be installed to N800
size or weight doesn't matter - I care device in large case or bag

just only two preferences I found - USB OTG in N810 and good reflective screen

I think now I was wrong buying N810... but may be later I will think different, don't know yet

sachin007
2008-04-01, 12:08
screen is of the same size.

Gourmand
2008-04-01, 12:14
screen is of the same size.

in pixels

I mean physical size

or exactly the same?

sachin007
2008-04-01, 12:20
In all aspects.. exactly same. The n810 total size was decreased to increase pocketability.... that is why screen seems to be smaller

Gourmand
2008-04-01, 12:57
but the screen size is not worst problem...

j'vai
2008-04-02, 04:14
luv my n810!, flexible is all it is...

i found a dl to support my .ogg music files, since my debian box reformats most of my music this way, in order to separate gengre i made folders on the external memory ambient, hip hop, jazz then drop the music in the folders which they belonged.. media player handles them well, it also handles the .wmv, .avi files well, but not .mpg ??, oh well.. i'm dying to find out if it will read .iso dvds since the linux kernel supports this standard by default, but i only have a 2gb for now, the smallest .iso i have is 4 gb ( i will experiment on this )

i'm sitting on the metrorail this evening playing music & reading a 28 page pdf file bobbing my head minding my bizz, when @ the l'enfant plaza stop, a guy sits beside me, my peripial vision feels the heat of a stare, i mean this guy wasnt being tactful @ all, like he was looking @ a murder on wide screen... he pulls out an iphone , moving about xtra so i could see him.. aftr fiddling about he nudges me & asks " what is that that?" " it's my music player" i said, ( i had on midsized sony headphones, with the sound blasting, so he heard a song he didn't know, "what song is that?" he asks, "wuub , from the album woob 1194", i gave him the head phones & replayed wuub for him, he didn't listen to the whole of it, but he wrote down the artist & song & said as soon as he got off the rail he'd dl it to the iphone from itunes.....

i would have loved to been there when he tried to look this album up on itunes, (it's not carried by them) & i dont know what hacks he'd have to go thru to get on his iphone even if he did obtained it....... i have a bomb music player in the n810!! i dont have to depend on one source for my music or movies, this thing sync's well with my linux box, & multitasking is sweet with this thing... now the only thing i have to do is learn gizmo voip, since skype won't dl for some odd reason, gizmo will be great when i go on my cruise this sept, who needs a gsm phone for overseas travel, when they have mobile voip?... i'm luvin this tool..

ysss
2008-04-02, 04:29
Gourmand, if you're not happy with your N810.. I'd be happy to swap my N800 with yours :D

mobiledivide
2008-04-02, 05:37
now the only thing i have to do is learn gizmo voip, since skype won't dl for some odd reason, gizmo will be great when i go on my cruise this sept, who needs a gsm phone for overseas travel, when they have mobile voip?... i'm luvin this tool..
Install RTComm and you will have native SIP using the built in, look on this forum for a thread about it.

josiahg777
2008-04-04, 00:48
purchase date: 3/30/08

feels sturdy
feels relatively snappy

dislikes:
battery cover wiggles
application manager is a pain in the butt

undecided:
keyboard - i'm not sure whether i like it or not

favorite apps:
web browser!
canola 2-although it keeps refusing to play my media. but hey, it's beta :)

oh and this was written from my n810 :)

bottom line: i love this thing :D

Chris1051
2008-04-04, 19:06
Purchased From: http://www.nokiausa.com/ ("Lets Talk" is the name of the agents)
Purchase/Arrival Date: 20 March 08 / 28 March 08

Dislikes: car mount, email app... being bogged

Favorite Apps: Map and RSS reader

I did a write up on the first impressions at my blog

http://chris1051.blogspot.com/2008/04/n810-criticisms.html

termsig
2008-04-05, 18:55
Country UK

Like everything Nokia n810 has good and bad thinks but for me it's the best internet tablet in world. Open source it could not be better!

Texrat
2008-04-07, 02:53
Dislikes: car mount

Out of sheer curiosity: why?

GeneralAntilles
2008-04-07, 03:22
Out of sheer curiosity: why?

He hasn't got a car! :D

Rimshot! (http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Music/RimShot.wav)

morrison
2008-04-07, 07:16
He hasn't got a car! :D

LOL! That may be why :p

rickh810
2008-04-10, 07:48
HI all....just got the 810 and love it to bits.
However I read that the browser was supposed to be really quick......my wife has an Itouch and that knocks spots off the n810 in terms of speed.....could I have a problem with the 810?
BIt new this so apologies in advance for my ignorance.
Rick

Picklesworth
2008-04-15, 00:41
Hate to self-link, but I wrote a really big list of thoughts here:
http://dylanmccall.blogspot.com/2008/04/got-my-n810-today.html

The hardware is great. One issue I have is that the keyboard seems to make a slight scratching noise when I slide it out, though that is going away. I also swear there is some point of contact behind the screen; every now and then when pulling out the keyboard, I see that swirly effect of something touching it near the center. Could be my imagination.

The screen itself is shockingly amazing. I have never seen a screen with this high a resolution; rounded edges look round, and we don't need any fancy anti-aliasing effects to do it.

I, for one, do not wish for a flush screen when using this. The slight border around the screen is, for me, 100% justified. Just enough space to put my fingers without touching the screen itself. Any less and it would be a pain to hold.

Wow, touch pressure actually works! Maemopad+ really shows that off nicely. (Although it could do with smoothing or some such; I find my writing looks appalling with it). Do we have proper pressure sensitive hardware here?

The stand is nice, but an issue I have with it is that the device can slide around when it is extended. Some rubber feet would have been a nice touch...

On the software end of things, there is room for improvement. The N810 would do beautifully being used in portrait mode, which is unfortunately not yet supported in official software, and the system still feels a tad sluggish overall. However, something really cool is happening here: The N810 is one of few handheld gadgets to happily split the software from the hardware. This is mine to mess with, and it is very possible to do so.

siralien
2008-05-10, 09:42
Had my N810 for a day now and first impressions are of a solid well built device but some gripes.

Firstly S L O W...and I'm not just talking a delay loading web pages. Select the EMAIL app and nothing happens. Try again, and again, give up and browse webmail instead then some while later EMAIL loads. Come on! That's bad QA team testing that.

Flash based videos don't run. Most sites I visit have them and on the N810 I am asked to install Flash (which I can't) or nothing appears where the video would have. I hope the Nokia peeps are looking to fix this.

GPS does not work. I have tried in 3 different locations and the satellites cannot be found. On a GPS unit one third of the cost of the N810 the satellites can be found in seconds. Very very disappointed here, especially as one of the primary differences between it and the N800 is GPS.

On a unit costing this much Nokia could have thrown in Ģ2 worth of screen protectors. Come on, it's not hard! Now one has to pay the overpriced options in the shops.

Get Started video/app/whatever never works. Just brings up a white screen and sits there.

I flashed the firmware to the latest version and downloaded some apps. Canola is way off hyped. Scrolling is a nighmare with fingers as the app wants to load the image/movie/you tube selection instead of scrolling from there.

Xournal is good. I like that app. Simple and works well.

FBreader is nice but I need to open the PRC books from the memory card in FileManager before it will add the book to the library. A scan option would be useful.

Skype has no video calling yet. Why? Come on my Estonian friends. Fix please!

GPE Calendar? Hmm... Looks nice but how does one get information into it from the web/Mac/ etc. How does one keep it in sync with another source?

Portrait mode would be useful in all apps.

No option - as far as I know - to remap the buttons on the unit to personal preference.

As I said, this is day 1 so some things I will get used to. I hope Nokia are able to update this with fixes and changes to make the unit more responsive and fix some of the little quirks.

patsn810
2008-05-15, 00:32
In US, brought from Nokia website

Got my N810 in March 08
Price: us$331.50 (price drop+promo code)

Dislikes: needs a better PDF reader, needs better GPS software.

Favorite App: Majhong

Have fun,
Pat

Texrat
2008-05-18, 21:43
Some background on the N810's development (7 slides):

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0805/gallery.An_international_affair.fortune/index.html

maillaxa
2008-05-22, 22:13
Have my N810 for a week now.

Good things: wifi and GPS. Numerous third-party apps.

Gripes: slow device. No support for flac and ogg out-of-the-box. Very bad email app, very bad contact app (pretty useless in fact), no MSN support, poor quality of the GPS apps.

In fact, the device by itself is okay but the default apps are horrid and slow.

Though, I still love my N810 ;)

TokyoDan
2008-05-31, 13:09
Well now that I had a day to play around with the N810 I'm starting to worry. So far it's not living up to it's hype. Loading a web page is OK, as far a speed, but clicking on a link to go to another website is almost impossible, it attempts to open the website but it just keep loading but never gets to the point where the website page is displayed, almost like it hangs. Compared to my experiences with the iPod touch, it sucks so far to tell the truth, and I know it's not my wireless connection because my Macbook is on the same wireless connection and clicking on a link to another website opens the site fast. I hope updating the firmware will fix this. If not, it's bye bye N810 and Hello iPod touch.

krisse
2008-05-31, 13:25
Well now that I had a day to play around with the N810 I'm starting to worry. So far it's not living up to it's hype. Loading a web page is OK, as far a speed, but clicking on a link to go to another website is almost impossible, it attempts to open the website but it just keep loading but never gets to the point where the website page is displayed, almost like it hangs. Compared to my experiences with the iPod touch, it sucks so far to tell the truth, and I know it's not my wireless connection because my Macbook is on the same wireless connection and clicking on a link to another website opens the site fast. I hope updating the firmware will fix this. If not, it's bye bye N810 and Hello iPod touch.

TD, see my reply to this in the Newbie forum, you may have Fit Width To View switched on.

You might want to give examples of sites that don't load so people can tell you if it's typical behaviour on a tablet.

combatdoc
2008-06-01, 02:04
Hmm.. I have had mine for about two weeks and there are things I like and dislike about it, but before I do a list I just want to say that the n810 is soo darned flexible. I have been able to get it to do everything I need and even improve the performance of the device overall (thanks to these forums). It really is more of a UMPC than a PDA type device. I think i have spent as many hours hacking the device logged in via SSH and VNC as I have on the tablet.

Now likes:
screen
connectivity
open source nature
Battery life

Dislikes:
GPS takes forever to lock in
No scroll wheel or Up/down buttons on screen half (I use it mostly closed)
no built-in cron, xmodmap, and a few other *nix standards.
Not enough RAM/FLASH on the device and the onboard 2GB Storage needs to be at least 4GB.
Needs two SD slots like on n800.

But again, I am amazed by the flexibility of the device compared to its competitors (iPod Touch/iPhone, WindowsMobile) and I love the fact that I am not forced into one carrier, but can tether it to any carriers phone.

TokyoDan
2008-06-01, 04:26
I finally got it working fine after a format of the internal mem card and a firmware update. I think I'm going to love this little thing. But even after I updated, I ran into the same "can't load web pages" problem once again. I think my accessing of web pages with flash-based music players may cause these problems. Clearing the browser cache cleared it up though. Also I jumped my guns a little too fast last night and should have applied the advice on this forum before posting negative comments about the N810. I tend too get excited.

Spaceman3750
2008-06-18, 20:56
I received my N810 yesterday morning and I think I am going to love it! Linux makes it flexible, battery life is great, and with Pidgin I am always in touch. I havn't really suffered from any slowness, but I also keep in mind that this is only a 400MHz processor, so I'm not expecting wonders.

A couple of downsides though. The keyboard is hard for me to type, but that's inevitable in a portable device, and I will probably get better as I get used to the keyboard. The other downside is that I have yet to locate the camera app.

alephito
2008-06-19, 00:39
Camera
(http://tableteer.nokia.com/tableteer/os2008/feat_camera.xhtml)GPS Camera (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/gps-camera)
Videocamera (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/camera/)

Spaceman3750
2008-06-19, 01:50
(Thanks, I found it after I posted this here. Didn't realize it wasn't preinstalled)

andreww
2008-06-26, 18:42
Purchased From: Amazon Warehouse (open box)
Purchase/Arrival Date: June 24

Dislikes: UI (isn't perfect ;), keyboard

Favorite Apps: Kagu, Maemo Mapper

I researched this device a lot before purchasing (even tried out the SDK) and it's pretty much exactly what I expected. On the first day, I got root access, NFS, ssh, media, wifi and even bluetooth PAN working.

Diablo was released the next day so I upgraded. At this point, it's back to that state except bluetooth PAN :(. GPS was poor at first but I found on the forum that maemo mapper works if you use the bluetooth option and it is working great now.

I plan on using this in my car so I'm looking forward to setting up media, GPS and phone to work smoothly together. Maybe I'll even get a chance to play around with integrating all of them (after I find out what works).

Hoping to find a nice, compact USB OTG adapter as well. It'd be awesome to use a USB flash drive or possibly charge my phone while using 3G.

strider_mt2k
2008-08-20, 14:18
Purchased From: Dell
Purchase/Arrival Date: 08-20-08

Dislikes: speed, nearly impossible to get my MiniSD adapter out

Favorite Apps: Browser, various other little stuff like staus bar refinements and such.

Internet Radio is great.

I like how I have a slight learning curve when it comes to getting more involved with it technically as well.
For me tinkering under the hood is as much fun as using it outright.

Great info here!

nhanquy
2008-08-20, 14:25
Don't like the keyboard, the miniSD, the fixed camera.
No way to transfer Navicore "map" license to use with the internal GPS.

So....

the N800 is still my favorite!

I am back to my N800 with 2 SDHC slots!

Edited: I was able to transfer "map" license to N810. However the N810 GPS is slow.

AstroGuy
2008-08-20, 23:23
Purchased From: Amazon
Purchase/Arrival Date: Aug 1

screen - makes the touch look silly
Linux - makes porting apps possible
sliding keyboard - I can type on it, unlike the touch
speakers - I hate headphones
stand, removable storage - nice
good battery life

Dislikes:
scroll pad should scroll in browser with single clicks
miniSD - would rather micro or standard
powercord location - hard to type when plugged in
weight - a bit on the heavy side
back gets warm with heavy usage

Favorite Apps:
vnc, IM, blocks (I still like tetris), mcalendar

heron61
2008-08-27, 05:07
I don't own one yet, but I ordered an n810 earlier today, and it should arrive soon. The reason I did was that a friend from college and his wife visited over the weekend. My friend's wife had an n810 and let me look at it for half an hour or so. I was previously torn between an ipod Touch and an n810, and had almost decided to get an ipod Touch after playing with it in an Apple store.

However, the screen on the n810 was incredible, that alone made the n810 a truly amazing ebook reader, and I love both the browser and the keyboard. All the reports I've heard about the n810 keyboard being difficult to use were clearly made by people with fingers very different from my own. It made the keyboard on my aging Sony Clie look like a piece of ill-made junk. Also, simply the fact that the keyboard was so much easier to use than that screen keyboard on the ipod Touch made the decision for me, the rest was gravy.

Of course, I know nothing about Linux of any flavor, but with luck I'll learn fairly easily.

heron61
2008-08-31, 07:27
I got my n810 about 12 hours ago and love it.

Faves:

The Screen (the best I've seen on any mobile device)
The Keyboard
The Browser
Canola
FBReader
GarnetVM (my contacts and memos are now on my n810)

Problems & annoyances:

GPS is slow (but with a-gps, not horribly so)
Linux is still an alien country to me, but one I'd beginning to learn a bit about.
The n810 requires a mixture of touch, stylus, and keyboard to use, and while I don't find that particularly hard, it would be nice if it were a bit more finger friendly.
A caps lock button would be a vast improvement

Also, the wifi is stronger than the one on my laptop, which is very nice indeed.

lemmy
2008-08-31, 08:30
A caps lock button would be a vast improvement

For caps lock, press the shift button twice before typing. Press Fn twice to lock the keyboard to numbers - this makes the inputting of a series of digits much easier.

heron61
2008-08-31, 09:10
For caps lock, press the shift button twice before typing. Press Fn twice to lock the keyboard to numbers - this makes the inputting of a series of digits much easier.Indeed they do. Many thanks. Your post also reminds me of another thing I love about the n810, and one of the other reasons I choose it over an ipod Touch - ITT. I've been reading this forum for a while as I tried to make up my mind of what device to buy, and I have yet to see another tech-users forum that is quite so smart and helpful.

skatebiker
2008-09-13, 15:29
Suggested Format:

Purchased From: Media Markt EUR 319
Purchase/Arrival Date: 2008 Sep 7

- Touchscreen
- Easy to get software for
- Nice mapping apps
- Good browser (supports Flash)
- Open Source OS (Linux)
- Easy file transfer just standard tools like Putty / WinSCP / VNC, etc.

Dislikes:
- No Java
- Strange keyboard layout: digits as SHIFT-Q...P, other character at weird locations and in onscreen keypad you have to switch between digit and letter mode
- In browser sometimes tapping a link does not open it.
- Poor builtin GPS

Favorite Apps:
- Maemo mapper
- MicroB (builtin)
- VNC

Why the OS is called OS2.008 (I thought OS/2 is an IBM OS) ....

notladstyle
2008-09-29, 03:55
Why the OS is called OS2.008 (I thought OS/2 is an IBM OS) ....

:confused::confused::confused:

Its OS 2008...

bigbrovar
2008-10-19, 07:30
Purchased From: Tiger Direct US
Purchase/Arrival Date: Purchase Date 4 weeks ago Arrival date 2 days ago. this device is not available in my country. and there was no way i could order for it online. so i got it through a friend in the US.who then shipped it to NIgeria.

Likes: Linux,Debian root, Openess,screen, infact i love this device selling my ipod touch for this device is one of the best move i have made this year. this device is very addictive and the flexibility is phenomena for a small device such as this

Dislikes:keyboard,size which it was a bit smaller

Favorite Apps: for now pidgin and cinola because those are the only apps i have ever tried on the nokia, beside the web-browser off course.

rjzak
2008-10-19, 18:23
Purchased From: http://www.nokiausa.com/
Purchase/Arrival Date: 13/10/2008 - 14/10/2008

Likes: Size, WiMax, keyboard (presence & backlight), GPS, Linux, Bluetooth, stand, manufacturer (I'm a Nokia fan!)

Dislikes: Lack of power (can't watch the trailer for Max Payne, after opening 3 apps it becomes slow), the licensing crap with the Map application for GPS, limited space (can't load tons of movies), lack of Exchange support. The lack of power is my biggest beef, the GPS would bother me if I didn't have in-dash navigation in my car. Being able to check work email would be really nice. It would be nice if the frequency of the WiMax could be changed, so that the International types could use the WiMax in other countries, like 3.5 GHz in Slovakia (http://www.wimax-telecom.net/en/index.php?id=22) or Amsterdamn (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/18/worldmax/).

Favorite Apps: Skype, Chat (I only really use Google Talk anyway)

White_Hamster
2008-11-19, 03:31
Purchased From: Gift, some website
Purchase/Arrival Date: See above, it was given to me four days ago or so, so mid-November 2008

Likes: Linux, form factor, size, screen, resolution, Flash in the browser, the Internet in my Pocket.

Dislikes: can't watch hulu or most large ( ~1 hour ) flash streaming videos(1up), its slow. on board map is expensive, considering its 300-400 dollars, i don't feel like paying another 150 for mapping software. haven't figured out how to connect to PPTP VPN at school yet. web gmail loads slow, and i hate downloading it to a client. Don't like mini/microSD cards, would rather have SD.
Favorite Apps: Chat (g Talk), ScummVM, Browser...

longcipher
2008-12-08, 00:14
I received my n810 yesterday (traded an iPod 2nd gen for it, so it is used.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I've been glued to it for about a day now. =)

Why is the email client so buggy? I set up my gmail account via IMAP and it worked for an hour or so -- now whenever it downloads a header, the entire program locks up and then crashes. Has anyone been able to get this to work successfully? And when I say successfully, I mean this:

** when you initially log in to gmail for the first time (on the nokia) the only messages that are DL'ed are the unread ones. And once you read them, they show as "read" on normal gmail. This is how it worked on the ipod. Can it/will it ever work this way on the nokia? ** I cancelled the email acct from the control panel yet am still receiving email notifications -- how can i delete this account completely?

So far I like this device a lot more than the ipod - I'm the kind of person who likes to endlessly configure & this is perfect for me. However, it seems as if many of the problems that i've read on here that are plaguing this item have already been worked out by Apple, in terms of a user interface experience and getting mobile versions of apps to work.

I am not a programmer so I am wondering if it is really difficult to get these things right, or are the engineers at apple wizards and sorcerers?

also, many people on here continuously hold up the fact that this is not an item for consumers - it's more for tinkerers and those who love linux. Why then does Nokia advertise it as an item for hip, young consumers on the go?

I am willing to help out in any way to make the n810 a killer device. I thank-you in advance for answers to my questions.

TokyoDan
2008-12-08, 01:18
I think the level of the top developers/programmers for both the iPod Touch/iPhone and the N810 is the same. The problem is how they approach the device:

Professionally for the iPod Touch/iPhone. The developers create apps hoping to make money. Therefore the apps are more "finished".

As a hobby for the N810. The developers hope to have fun and don't expect to make money. Therefore the apps are more "unfinished". I get the feeling that the developers think "What the hell! Nobody's paying me for this so I'll get back to it if I find the time and if I feel like it. But now I have to get back to putting food on the table by developing serious apps for the iPod touch/iPhone".

Of course the above is just my opinion and a generalization. And I'm not trying to piss off anybody here.

I received my n810 yesterday (traded an iPod 2nd gen for it, so it is used.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I've been glued to it for about a day now. =)

Why is the email client so buggy? I set up my gmail account via IMAP and it worked for an hour or so -- now whenever it downloads a header, the entire program locks up and then crashes. Has anyone been able to get this to work successfully? And when I say successfully, I mean this:

** when you initially log in to gmail for the first time (on the nokia) the only messages that are DL'ed are the unread ones. And once you read them, they show as "read" on normal gmail. This is how it worked on the ipod. Can it/will it ever work this way on the nokia? ** I cancelled the email acct from the control panel yet am still receiving email notifications -- how can i delete this account completely?

So far I like this device a lot more than the ipod - I'm the kind of person who likes to endlessly configure & this is perfect for me. However, it seems as if many of the problems that i've read on here that are plaguing this item have already been worked out by Apple, in terms of a user interface experience and getting mobile versions of apps to work.

I am not a programmer so I am wondering if it is really difficult to get these things right, or are the engineers at apple wizards and sorcerers?

also, many people on here continuously hold up the fact that this is not an item for consumers - it's more for tinkerers and those who love linux. Why then does Nokia advertise it as an item for hip, young consumers on the go?

I am willing to help out in any way to make the n810 a killer device. I thank-you in advance for answers to my questions.

longcipher
2008-12-08, 01:55
I understand that - and love the open source community. But I am speaking of the "out-of-the-box" apps, like the email client. The ipod's works - easily - the Nokia's, so far, doesn't.

The browser is great, the touchscreen is responsive, and the screen itself is incredible compared to the ipod.

But an email client seems to be something you'd want to get right - this is an internet tablet, right?

daperl
2008-12-08, 02:51
@longcipher:

Do you know if you're user the latest firmware? If not, from Application Manager go to the following:

Settings -> Control panel -> About product

What version is installed? My version line looks like this:

Version: 4.2008.36-5

If yours doesn't look like this I recommend you go here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware).

longcipher
2008-12-08, 04:00
daperl: thanks, i do have the latest. i flashed the device when i received it so i could have it be clear for me.

quipper8
2008-12-15, 20:13
Bought from newegg in US

First impressions out of the box: Ah, metal. Ooohhh, nice screen. Nice slider.

Later impressions:
Pros: Great quality build, love the metal outside.
great battery life
very nice screen
I like the somehwat interconnectedness of the integrated chat/email/call apps

Cons: keyboard is a little tough to reach some keys typing fast or maybe I just have short fingers :)
speaker is not really loud enough
my arms get tired holding it up to my face all day :)

vbrown99
2008-12-15, 23:46
Bought my N810 "hardly used" from an online store- I updated to OS2008, as far as I can tell it's up to date.

First impressions are lukewarm- relatively slow web surfing, jerky streaming video, the GPS is worthless, the camera is one step above worthless, the map applications I've found for it so far aren't very good, the stock PDF reader sucks (part of why I bought it was to use it as a portable PDF reader)...

Likes- Google chat works well, email is ok as long as it's not a large email, the fact that I can use EVDO over my cell phone is cool, it looks cool.

Unless I can find some way to make it work better I think this thing is destined for eBay, and I may just get a netbook instead. Like a lot of reviews I've read on the web for the N810, this thing seems to be all show and no go...

TokyoDan
2008-12-16, 01:25
Another thing I noticed after much use is that the UI is very 1990s: Try two open two docs or webpages and display them side-by-side. Also you can't click on an icon to open a folder in order to open document. You always have to open the File Manager, and then drill down the directory tree to find the document that you want to open.

skatebiker
2008-12-16, 14:31
Suggested Format:

Purchased From: MediaMarkt EUR 319
Purchase/Arrival Date: 2008 Sep 7

Likes: Compact, open source, and , unlike smartphones a much larger screen and full browser supporting flash.
Very versatile device.
Some apps can also be used offline (w/o internet connection)
Easy network access both LAN and internet (SSH, SFTP, VNC both ways, RDP to Windows machine)
Easy controllable by full fledged Unix command line
As streaming audio player on stereo set (streaming from internet or from laptop over Wifi)
Wifi has a good speed, while UMTS (via BT over Nokia phone) is Unreliably Mobile Terribly Slow except near a substation, but that is a problem of mobile internet not of the N810.

Dislikes:
- hardware keyboard layout
- scrollbars and checkboxes hard to access by finger
- builtin GPS so I use a Bluetooth GPS

Favorite Apps:
- browser
- media player
- GPS and mapping applications
- sky applications (garnet VM planetarium+sky atlas) and ephemeris apps
- VoiP application
- Pidgin messenger for MSN
- with USB hub backup for photos from my camera. These photos can be (simply) processed by mtPaint.

hdmyg85
2008-12-27, 03:29
This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

odius
2008-12-29, 08:10
$350 as new, very lightly used, in box fresh flashed with Diablo42k8.36-5 all basic accessorys including earphone, car charger and dashboard mount.
2008 first of October.
Vancouver - Coquitlam
Canada

fixerdave
2009-01-28, 21:00
After a few months, I'd say it's better than I expected. Basically, I like it because it gives me choice. I like freedom. Yeah, it doesn't do GPS as well as a dedicated GPS, it doesn't do media playing as well as a dedicated media player, it doesn't do... But, it does a whole lot of things good enough. I ride a dual-sport motorcycle... a KLR-650. It's pretty much the same thing. Other bikes can outperform it in each of its ways, but there 'aint nothin' that can do it ALL as well. I don't want a garage full of bikes and I don't want a backpack full of gadgets. The N810 is good enough.

And, the best part... It's open-source base means it will get even better over time and outlast other closed-source gadgets. More on that here - I am Free (http://datadave.blogspot.com/2009/01/n810-i-am-free.html)

David...

fixerdave
2009-01-28, 22:21
Sort of off-topic, but kinda relevant I guess...

... I get the feeling that the developers think "What the hell! Nobody's paying me for this so I'll get back to it if I find the time and if I feel like it...

I'd say it's more like this:

If you're trying to sell a product to a bunch of idiots, the most important thing is the way it, and its documentation, looks. The packaging, the finish, gets most of the attention because, well, that's what sells.

If you're making a product because YOU want to use it, and you're nice enough to let other people use it too, then the most important thing is the way it works, its capabilities. So what if a few less-used-by-YOU operations are a little chunky, you're not trying to sell it; YOU don't need a pretty package, YOU don't need slick documentation, so it doesn't happen.

Thus, FOSS software tends to be more functional and less pretty; the development efforts go into core-functionality instead of appearance. With commercial applications, the look of a button is more important than how, or if, the code that it calls actually works. Unfortunately, average people equate "pretty" with "good" and then wonder why their non-FOSS system/application keeps falling on its face, even when it looks so nice.

So, yeah, the icons are kinda ugly - they didn't pay some graphic artist to make them. Get over it.

David...

TokyoDan
2009-01-28, 22:45
http://datadave.blogspot.com/2009/01/n810-i-am-free.html

First of all. I'm not an idiot.

Secondly, you got it all backwards. The N810 is already on it's death bed. The iPhone/iPod Touch will outlast the N810 simply because it is 1000 times more popular AND the developers can make some money selling their better than open source apps.

Although some free open source software is good, a lot of it isn't because a lot of open source developers approach their work as a hobby instead of a business. And the developers do indeed think "What the hell! Nobody's paying me for this so I'll get back to it if I find the time and if I feel like it". They also think, in your own idiotic words "So what if a few less-used-by-YOU operations are a little chunky, you're not trying to sell it."

You've proven my point.

fixerdave
2009-01-29, 01:32
:eek: whoa, whoa... :eek:

What I wrote did NOT get interpreted the way I had intended. I didnīt mean to cause any offense. I truly am sorry that you took it that way.

What I was trying to point out (and obviously failed at) was that the drivers for commercial and open-source applications are different. FOSS developers get little to no benefit in making things pretty while pretty is a primary concern for commercial developers. Thus, non-pretty does not mean an application is bad, or even unfinished, any more than pretty means that itīs good, or finished. If an application you got for free doesnīt do exactly what you want, it doesnīt mean that it was abandoned by the developer. It may do exactly what the developer wants.

As for which will last longer, the N810 or the iPhone, yeah there are probably way more than a 1000x iPhone users. No argument there. But, what are those people going to do when the iPhone battery dies? Probably, they will buy the next gadget that comes along, and the developers will go with them. The N810 uses somewhat standard cellphone batteries that can be easily replaced. Thus, the N810 will, on a purely HW level, outlast the iPhone. After that, it only takes a small group to continue niche development work. I fully expect to find some use for the N810 in the years to come, even if itīs just a kidīs toy.

But, I should stop writing now. I donīt seem to be doing well and I donīt want to cause any more offense than I already have. Again, sorry for the unintended insult - I honestly didnīt mean it.

David...

TokyoDan
2009-01-29, 03:13
David, you're dong a good job now. And now I am sorry for taking your post the wrong way. I apologize to you.

Kindest regards,
Dan

smog
2009-02-07, 23:23
first impression from a n800 user that just got a n810 :

WTF is that usb connector; can't they just put a mini-usb like most devices on the market ?

also microSD and SDhc are standard... (has been said before)

size is better, the n810 is closer to the 770 I had before the n800.

thumb keyboard is... better than any onscreen keyboard.

as for the OS, I had the same on the n800.

now I need another usbOTG adapter.... and this time I can't hack a regular miniusb connector...

geneven
2009-02-08, 00:31
I also got a N810 -- near $200 is the can-you-resist point.

That usb adapter should be listed as a bad point of the N810. I don't need another wire; I have enough already. Use a compatible adapter, Nokia.

The battery is another minus. Why not use the bp-5l? The only real difference seems to be the connector location.

My N800 is looking cooler all the time. No bulky keyboard slowing me down. And no, the physical keyboard is not faster than the virtual one.

The gps is nice and seems to work fine for me, even through the roof of my room.

All in all, the N810 is worth $200 or so. I guess.

GeneralAntilles
2009-02-08, 00:50
WTF is that usb connector; can't they just put a mini-usb like most devices on the market ?

It's MicroUSB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini.2C_Micro), the port that's going to replace MiniUSB. :)

That usb adapter should be listed as a bad point of the N810. I don't need another wire; I have enough already. Use a compatible adapter, Nokia.

Why does everybody seem to think this is some proprietary port that Nokia pulled out of their ***? It's not, it's MicroUSB (a relatively recent addition to the USB spec, but part of the spec nonetheless), which is a standard just like MiniUSB, but it's both significantly more durable and significantly smaller. It is a better port, you'll just have to give it a little time for manufacturers to switch over.

There was a time when MiniUSB was hard to find, too, but that passed and now it's one of the most numerous connectors out there. In time, MicroUSB will be too. So, try not to be so reactionary. Thanks.

smog
2009-02-08, 01:48
It's MicroUSB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini.2C_Micro), the port that's going to replace MiniUSB. :)

Why does everybody seem to think this is some proprietary port that Nokia pulled out of their ***? It's not, it's MicroUSB

we all know what it is..

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/Nikoza/Gif/argue.gif

but is it widely used ? no

is it a significant upgrade over mini-usb ? no

is it practical ? no

it's just another foquing cable we have to carry along with the miniSD adapter ....

and I won't buy the technological advance point; how useful an hydrogen car is if you can't refuel it anywhere.

the n810 is about to be phased out and the microUSB cable is still not widely used... Should I wait another 2 years to enjoy the choice made by Nokia in 2007 ?

http://www.need2speed.com/vb_forums/images/smilies/bsflag11.gif

dbec10
2009-02-08, 18:45
Smog

I think you need a long shower and a bar of soap. Then take a deep breath and try to think slowing and rationally.

The N810 is a newer device than the N800. When most people develop a new device they put in new technology. The new technology eventually becomes the norm. MicroUSB just happens to be the topic at hand.

If you prefer your N800 then give me the 810.

smog
2009-02-08, 22:07
The new technology eventually becomes the norm.

exactly like WiMax :D

ukjeeper
2009-02-08, 22:22
Had mine for a week now, the local PCWorld (UK's 'Best Buy') was doing a deal on N800/810's (40/80 units of currency instead of 150/200) and i've wanted one for a while. So i snagged me a N810.

Good: Upgraded to Diablo as soon as the box was opened, been having loads of fun loading up apps. Canola2 (plus the plugins), A-GPS (which isn't really 'assisted' at all...), The GPS chip, btw is pretty damn accurate, as good as my HoluxIII, quite impressed. Fennec (definitely still in beta....), mYTube, Streamtuner, MPlayer, Media Streamer, Video Centre (still undecided if Canola2 doesn't duplicate all that these do), GPS Camera (why?!?!?), LCARRS (now that is just FUN!!!). I'm running all my videos through Nokia's tablet converter first and i'm happy with the results. i have the Android installer and files stored on the external card, just have to pull the trigger.

Not so good: I'm not a Linux guy (yet), so some of the app's that require 'going under the hood' and 'recompiling' are giving me a headache (root user changes to navit.xml to get Garmin maps to work, huh??) and i didn't like dealing with Google maptiles when i had map software on my PSP so Maemo Mapper isn't making me happy. Also, why the h311 does the default email client refuse to accept my password, the same password that works on EVERY other email app i use? Finally, the BT connection to my phone keeps dropping while i'm out. Its stays locked to my WiFi at home without any problems.

Not afraid to figure it all out, i've spent a lot of time making S60 phones (i currently use an E90) and thing like PSP's do things that the manufacturers didn't originally plan on, but its a new learning curve, so expect to see me about.

Thanks.

timoph
2009-02-14, 15:49
I've used the N810 for a couple of months. The device isn't really mine. I borrowed it from school to be used in my final thesis. I'm doing my thesis on "Developing a Qt application to the Maemo platform".

The N810 has it's downsides such as getting GPS-fix, small space for the rootfs, etc. But besides these little things the platform and device feels like my thing. I suppose I have to go out and buy my own after I have to return this one. Hopefully someday I can be of some use to the Maemo community (I think I have to learn a bit more about the platform first).

fourstar
2009-02-27, 04:20
Just had my N810 a couple of days and I'm pretty pleased so far. Flashed to the most recent Maemo version, got vim, rsync, ssh, Personal Menu & Maemo Mapper and now working on Hamachi. The thumb keyboard is not so easy for me, but I do like the onscreen thumb keyboard. I'm probably going to end up getting an iGo Stowaway keyboard, since I think I'll be able to use this tablet to mostly replace my laptop when mobile.

geneven
2009-02-27, 06:38
I've now had my N810 for a few months, after having had (and continue to have, but rarely use) an N800 for a few years. The GPS seems to work very well for me, I use it all the time, just for fun.

The other day I discovered myself outside of a library with one bar strength of wireless coverage there in the parking lot. I actually got connected to the library's wifi and could read the NY Times while I waited for the census-takers test to start. I don't think I ever had that weak of a connection work for me before.

My dislike of the physical keyboard has diminished, though I still use a virtual keyboard most of the time. I sent off for a screen protector, but ended up throwing it away because it messed up touch response a lot.

I couldn't get Penguinbait's excellent, user-friendly instructions for booting off an mmc card and cloning to work. I've had it working on my N800 for ages. I'll try that again, but it's not so bad without; I can run an awful lot of programs without resorting to the mmc boot stuff. (I even tried the PB system IMMEDIATELY after flashing the N810 and it didn't work -- and I did turn off virtual memory, of course -- maybe there's something wrong with the sd card, which is formatted ext3, of course.)

All in all, I'd say that the N810 does a much better job of living up to the promise of the N800, though it has a way to go before becoming the really cool and essential device it should be. I don't really need the N810 in my pocket, since I have a Centro that carries me through any emergency, but the N810 adds some fun when I have spare time.

pelago
2009-02-27, 23:00
I sent off for a screen protector, but ended up throwing it away because it messed up touch response a lot.Which screen protector did you get?

kashief
2009-03-09, 04:41

Purchased From: Amazon.com

Purchase/Arrival Date: Purchase Date - 2/21/09 Arrival Date - 2/26/09

Likes: I like the ease of use and the fact that there are more than enough apps
to download for it. the sound quality of the speakers was just what i expected...very good... the gps, when i was actually in motion, was great. i love the nice roomy touch screen too, and dispite what so many people say about the keyboard being too close to the screen making it hard to reach the buttons at the top, i typed and typed and typed with no typographical errors,(yay, big word lol), caused buy the distance between the two...the buttons are a bit flat and recessed<----- not sure i spelled that right...

Dislikes: inablity to get a gps fix when in my house. also it makes me sad to see that i cant find any type of music production apps for it... i've read a few thing about Ardour and apps like that being available but no dice...if anyone know different, please let me know...

Favorite Apps: Boxar. Gizmo. Fring. Skype. Maemo Mapper.

Rune
2009-03-10, 08:46
Purchased From: Nokia.nl
Purchase/Arrival date: Can't say for sure. 3 days between purchase and delivery
Likes: Been a big fan of the 770 for the past few years until the LCD controller blew up. I love the integrated keyboard, it makes porting apps a lot easier. The screen is a huge improvement compared to the 770 (a lot clearer).
But the biggest pre is the overal device, a small computer running linux in your pocket.

Dislikes: Unused hardware (like the PowerVR) and the limited access to the led (toy).

Favourite apps: Navit, Xterm, OpenSSH, mTasks, mCalendar, mNotes, Canola, The Maemo SDK.

AndyM
2009-03-17, 14:15
Purchased from: ebay
Purchase/Arrival date: 15/17 March 2009
Too early to have played much with it so far.
Likes: large, clear screen, linux. Overall feel of the unit is great (I didn't manage to see one before ordering).

Dislikes: the memory slot door feels fragile and a bit clumsy.

Looking forward to playing with it more tonight.

dbec10
2009-03-21, 04:55
It's beautiful in every way.

Seriously?
I am amazed at the sharpness and quality of the screen. Coming from a Palm TX I did not know what I was missing until now; and I am ashamed.

If the software side works out well. I think I will be very happy.

Got to change my sig.

Purchased from: Amazon
Purchase date: February 7, 2009
Arrived: March 19, 2009

code_monkey
2009-03-21, 08:08
Purchased from: provantage.com
Purchase/Arrival date: 2/7 arrived 2/9 with standard shipping so that was awesome. Highly recommend this site.

Have had my n810 for about a month and a half, and it's getting better day by day. Initially the browsing was slow, and so I followed various posts on the site (Brontide's tuning post & his useful css setup). The one thing I've discovered is that my move to clone the OS onto an SD card wasn't a great idea as the performance booting off the SD card is *significantly* worse than booting off internal flash. Whereas previously it would take ~1 second for any page to load in the browser (microb webkit/gecko or tear), it's now nearly instantaneous.

* microb (webkit for kinetic, gecko for brontide's fantastic css setup)
* tear -- blazingly fast, though bookmark support could be improved
* PDF viewer (resize pdfs to 4.5" screensize)
* FBreader (.10.5 with epub integration for feedbooks rocks)
* openvpn support
* BT tethering support is fantastic
* feedcircuit

Dislikes:
* would've been better with more RAM (256+ would be ideal)

Overall an amazing device at a bargain price.

-CM