PDA

View Full Version : PhoneLink : dial & sms from 770

fredoll
2006-01-27, 13:41
Hi,
I'm on a v0 of a little app that can access you gpe-contact database & dial or send sms to the number(s) through gnokii lib & your bluetooth phone.

you have to have
1/ a gpe-contact database
2/ gnokii installed and configured

Anyone willing to try (no debs yet !)

O Fred

PS : I managed a little deb file see further down
PS2 : a 0.1a deb that's (supposedly) working ...
PS3 : with a stock (nice) icon

jrac
2006-01-27, 19:52
Cool. SMS from the 770 will be nice.

Saanvik
2006-01-27, 21:56
Great idea. This was one of the things I really liked about Agendus on my Clie. Bluetooth headset, bluetooth dialing, my phone never needs to leave my pocket.

fredoll
2006-01-28, 14:54
Here is a deb file : it only installs the app but not the gnokii lib ...
And I still have a little pb with the icons ...

xan.candal@gmail.com
2006-01-29, 12:46
I think you have done a good work, but i would like to know how you installed Gnokii because it has not a installer.

fredoll
2006-01-29, 21:09
just download the tar.gz on a pc/mac then copy the lib to /var/lib/install/usr/lib, gnokii to /var/lib/install/usr/bin make sure it works (you'll need to tweak the .gnokiirc file)
if i find time i'll try & build a gnokii deb ...
O Fred

Source4
2006-02-01, 02:53
Hi,

I installed the .deb that was attached. I go to load it up, the white "loading" box comes up... It thinks for a bit... then the box goes away and the app does not load.

I have a working GPE-Contacts DB installed. I also have a working copy of gnokii installed. I've tested it using "gnokii --identify". The proper information for my phone is displayed. I've also been able to grab contact information from my phone's internal memory.

I'd be more then happy to give you a dump of any log files, just tell me which ones!

I think this would be an awesome app. I'm more then happy to test it out for you!

fredoll
2006-02-01, 09:02
Did you try to launch it from the command line (ie xterm) ?
/var/lib/install/usr/bin/phoneLink

I'm glad you want to use it ...
I'm thinking of adding some functionnalities like :
- set/get an alarm on the phone
- access sms stored in the phone
- set new events on the phone
- may be make a desktop applet that gives you info on your phone (battery ...)
- a callerid desktop applet that shows the name related to the number calling ...
- any ideas ?

O Fred

Source4
2006-02-01, 17:16
I tried it from the command line and it starts right up... not sure why I can't launch it from the "Extras" menu???

I tested it out, sending and SMS to a friend and dialing some numbers. Works great!

I think your feature list is perfect. I think the items that I'm looking forward to the most are:

- access sms stored in the phone
- desktop applet that gives you info on your phone (battery ...)
- a callerid desktop applet that shows the name related to the number calling...

I'm still reading up on what all gnokii can do... So if I think of another feature I'll be sure to post it!

Source4
2006-02-01, 17:35
Thought I'd take a minute and write up how I installed gnokii. It was sort of a pain, so this should make it easier for anyone who wants to try PhoneLink.

1) download gnokii from http://trifinite.org/Downloads/gnokii-0.6.9-maemo.tgz
2) expand the downloaded file, and you should have three files:
gnokii
gnokiirc
libgnokii.so.2.0.5
3) Copy the three files in step 2 to the 770 and open up a console window
4) become root, run "sudo gainroot" (must be in R&D mode)
5) Per fredoll's post copy gnokii to /var/lib/install/usr/bin
6) Per fredoll's post copy libgnokii.so.2.0.5 to /var/lib/install/usr/lib
7) Also copy libgnokii.so.2.0.5 to /usr/lib
8) Run /sbin/ldconfig (this will prevent gnokii complaining about missing shared objects)
9) Modify the gnokiirc file as follows:
port = xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (this is the MAC for your phone, find it using "hcitool scan")
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
rfcomm_channel = 1
smsc_timeout = 10
10) Copy gnokiirc to your home directory "~/"
11) Rename gnokiirc to ".gnokiirc" (note the leading period)

To test gnokii run:
"/var/lib/install/usr/bin/gnokii --identify"

you should see information about your phone if everything is working.

fredoll
2006-02-02, 09:36
you don't have to copy libgnokii.so.2.0.5 to /var/lib/install/usr/lib AND /usr/lib
/usr/lib is already in the search path for libraries so it might be easier
or you can user /var/lib... and modify your libray search path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

If you can use it from xterm and not from the menu it means that there's a problem with the com.nokia.phoneLink.service file ... I'll check it out & let you know

O Fred

fredoll
2006-02-02, 13:18
a 0.1a deb that sould work better ...
no icon still though

O Fred

PS with icon

Source4
2006-02-02, 18:05
I tried the new .deb... I unistalled the old package, and installed the new one. I still see the same behavior as before trying to launch it from the "extras" menu. However now I cannot start it from the console either. I get this error:

/var/lib/install/usr/bin/phonelink: error while loading shared libraries: libsqllite.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've looked around, re-installed the libSqlLite package that was installed with GPE-Contacts. Still no luck though...

ioan
2006-02-02, 18:05
I have a Motorola v330, the "gnokii --identify" does not find it... I suppose the motorola phones are not supported by gnokii... too bad, I really love the idea to have such an application.

kepler
2006-02-03, 07:44
Thank's fredoll

The basic functionality and idea is great. Still a bit tricky to get to work but Source4's instructions are good. I got exactly the same results as Source4, can start the old version with xterm, but the new version doesn't start.

Are you planning to implement other features to Phonelink?

- kepler

kepler
2006-02-03, 07:49
a 0.1a deb that sould work better ...

The link has 0.1b version not 0.1a, is this the reason that it doesn't start?

- kepler

fredoll
2006-02-03, 08:48
does gpe-* stuff work on your 770 ?
In xterm can you try "ldd /var/lib/install/usr/bin/phonelink" ?
what does it show ?
the 0.1b should be the same as the 0.1a except that the icon is displayed ...
Sorry for the bother ...
It works on my 770 but then I installed ~30 versions on it ...
Waiting for your feedback to try & get something that works ;)

O Fred

Source4
2006-02-03, 18:06
I'll give "ldd" a whirl this afternoon/evening. I'd try it now, but the 770 is at home charging up for the weekend.

all the GPE-* apps will run and launch... I moved the libsqllight lib into /usr/lib and re-ran ldconfig... now phonelink is looking for libical?

Don't worry about the bother, I know how development goes (I'm a Windows dev... shhhhh ;-). I'm just glad somebody is working on this kind of app! I'm more then happy to be a lab rat!

fredoll
2006-02-03, 22:39
if you want to be sure that all libs in var/install/usr/lib are known : add this path to /etc/ld.so.conf then run ldconfig et voila
I think libical is used by gnokii & can bi find in /usr/lib ...
I have some problem with gnokii & my 6230i so I try to work on that front too and the gnokii team is very helpfull :)
Glad to work with open source & open minded people !
Fred

kepler
2006-02-04, 09:25
if you want to be sure that all libs in var/install/usr/lib are known : add this path to /etc/ld.so.conf then run ldconfig et voila
I think libical is used by gnokii & can bi find in /usr/lib ...

I added /var/lib/install/usr/lib as last row in /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig command. Still 0.1b version refuses to start; when try to start from xterm, complains that libical.so.0 is not found.

ldd /var/lib/install/usr/bin/phonelink command shows links to various libraries, however there is one line indicating:
libical.so.0 => not found

0.1 version starts nicely from xterm, but not from the Extras menu.

btw 0.1 shows the icon (after trying 0.1b version that didn't work ;-)

/var/lib/install/usr/bin/gnokii --identify and gpe-* stuff works.

Should the gnokii be installed in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin as there is no .deb for gnokii and /var/lib/install/usr path is for .deb packages??

- kepler

fredoll
2006-02-04, 11:41
I suppose user installed lib should go to /var/lib/install ... but it's up to you really !
I suppose it's my fault : I have compiled gnokii with ical support & I had to compile libical too (I have a pb with gnokii dialing 6230i with 6510 driver)

I suppose then that as I compiled phonelink against this version of gnokii it inherited the lib list at link & so says it needs libical although it needs libgnokii that needs libical ...

Anyway I stripped libical & zipped it so you have it ...
don't forget to create a link with "ln -s libical.so.0.0.0 libical.so.0" with the right path (wherever you put it /usr/lib or else ...)

Fred

fredoll
2006-02-04, 11:42
I suppose I should build a phonelink package with the libs and the links ....
Fred

kepler
2006-02-04, 15:14
Anyway I stripped libical & zipped it so you have it ...
don't forget to create a link with "ln -s libical.so.0.0.0 libical.so.0" with the right path (wherever you put it /usr/lib or else ...)

Fred

Thank's

That was it!

I put libical in /var/lib/install/usr/lib and made the softlink.

Now 0.1b works and starts from Extras menu....

It would be cool to read contcts from phone and transfer them to Phonelink or gpe-contacts. Would it be possible?

- kepler

fredoll
2006-02-04, 17:25
Glad it worked for you ...
I suppose it's not ready yet for broad diffusion ;)

phonelink doesn't manage any contact
The "clean" way to achieve this would be to import vcard from the phone via libgnokii then use gpe-contact to import them ...
A much better way would be to use mlsync if your phone is compatible AND the 770 can act as a server ...

Fred

kepler
2006-02-04, 18:43
phonelink doesn't manage any contact
The "clean" way to achieve this would be to import vcard from the phone via libgnokii then use gpe-contact to import them ...
A much better way would be to use mlsync if your phone is compatible AND the 770 can act as a server ...
OK

Phone is a natural place for contcts as you are using it anyway. So it would be nice to utilize that info in tablet too.

If you have a new version of Phonelink it would be nice to try it.

- kepler

kepler
2006-02-05, 14:05
I managed to move contacs from my Nokia 6630 phone to 770 gpe-contacts application. Here are the steps:

- take the memory card from 770 and install it to 6630
- in 6630:
open Contacts
Options -> Mark/Unmark -> Mark all -> Select
Options -> Copy -> To memory card -> Select
Yes

- After copying is complete move memory card back to 770
- Open gpe-contacts in 770
- Contacts -> Tools -> Import VCard
- Browse to: Memory card -> Others -> Contacts
- there are your contacts!!
- Just select and Open and your contact is moved to gpe-contacts

It's relatively simple procedure, would be better if you could move all contacts to gpe-contacts with one selection, not one by one..

Same principle seems to work with Microsoft Outlook:

- Connect 770 with USB-cable to PC
- Open Outlook
- Open contact you want to move to 770
- File -> Save As...
- Browse to 770 Memory card folder you prefer
- Select Save as Type: vCard Files
- Save
- Safely remove USM Mass Storage Device
- Unplug USB-cable
- select and Open your contact from Memory Card in gpe-contacts applcation

You can also move Outlook Calendar events to gpe-calendar with the same principle. Just use iCaledar Format in Outlook when saving event

- kepler

fredoll
2006-02-10, 10:54
I've added a menu for setting an alarm on the phone :
With my Nokia 6230i it works for setting but not for unsetting (libgnokii here)
I "clean" the number passed to the phone (get rid of spaces, parenthesis and replace + by 00)
Anyone willing to try ?

mathias
2006-03-07, 05:48
v0.2 worked very well here. Setting the alarm clock is untestet (not implemented for my 6100 modell).

fredoll
2006-03-07, 09:12
Very good I'm glad it works for you !
Fred

djs_tx
2006-03-07, 20:45
I've added a menu for setting an alarm on the phone :
With my Nokia 6230i it works for setting but not for unsetting (libgnokii here)
I "clean" the number passed to the phone (get rid of spaces, parenthesis and replace + by 00)
Anyone willing to try ?

Does this package require any additional packages? I cannot get it to come up.
David

fredoll
2006-03-08, 08:55
yes it requires gnokii

rob6
2006-05-18, 17:04
i don't understand enything....
a guide step for step?
Thanks

Great forum

rob6
2006-05-30, 10:52
everyone of your can help me?i want use phonelink, i installed the software but don't work why?

peyob
2006-06-09, 08:18
Hello.

Install is good. Phonelink run. But, when I want to send a SMS, for example, phonelink is blocked. I must kill the process.
In Xterm, when I run gnokii -- identify, I see bluetooth connexion trying (on the phone icon on top of the screen), but nothing happen.
When I run hcitool cc -- role=m <phone MAC Adress>, I see bluetooth connexion and after a short while, the link is cut.
Have you any idea??

fredoll
2006-06-09, 09:51
I suppose you could try sending SMS on the command line with gnokii and read gnokii's log
Fred

peyob
2006-06-09, 09:54
I just try with another phone. The first was a Nokia 6630. The last is Nokia 7280.
With this model, all is OK. I have seen on Gnokii site and then, I red that some models are not, today, compatible. Nokia 7280 isn't on the good list, but Phonelink works well with it.
Perhaps it's necessary to make a modification in gnokiirc file for Nokia 6630 model?
Any idea or experience ?

fredoll
2006-06-09, 13:32
you can try the most generic phone model : AT ...

O Fred

fredoll
2006-06-09, 13:33
Pavel is always on the gnokii mailing list & quite efficient !

peyob
2006-06-10, 06:36
Ok.
Now all is good.
I've tried many things: in gnokiirc, I leave "model = AT".
Just, I've changed the phone configuration: nokia 6630 is a 3G phone. In the phone menu, we can choose 3G or not 3G. Is, in fact, double mode (3G and GSM) or gsm mode only (with GPRS but not 3G). I choose Gsm mode and ... wonderful, Phonelink runs.

fredoll
2006-06-26, 14:55
the 2006 version is on the garage ;)
there's a deb for libgnokii & one for phonelink

Fred

konttori
2006-06-26, 17:53
Any chance of integrating this with service@gtalk2voip.com ?

So that this prog would initiate the call and the current gtalk implementation would handle the rest?

... just a thought

fredoll
2006-06-27, 08:06
Nice idea !
I don't know if there's any public API for GTalk ...
What would be really nice is a plugin architecture that would allow to plug any contact management system at the heart of the 770 ...

Fred

indio
2006-07-10, 11:05
Hi,

Thanks a lot for phonelink. I am interested in maybe contributing some code to it. I made it work, seems to work ok, even though the user interface is a bit peculiar :).

Note: why don't you update your initial post, with all the requiered information to install and run phonelink successfully? You also have to edit the .gnokiirc that you propose to create in order to configure gnokii: you forgot the "[global]" headline of the rc file. without it parsing is impossible.

onlife
2006-07-24, 07:07
Hi there,

I installed Phonelink in order to try it out, but since I couldn't get gnokii to work, I decided to wait for some easier way / integrated installer or whatever and uninstalled Phonelink.

The uninstall process (Application Manager) did just fine and finished saying "successfully removed" or something like it. But after a restart I'm seeing the Phonelink app still sitting in my application menu (I put it in "Extras"). I can't start in any more, there's no logo for it, but it's there and annoying me. How to get rid of the unnessecary entry?

Thanks for your answers,
onlife

spycedtx
2006-07-25, 03:56
the 2006 version is on the garage ;)
there's a deb for libgnokii & one for phonelink

Fred

I feel like an idiot. I can't find a deb for libgnokii in the maemo garage, only the phonelink deb.

I did find an install for libgnokii earlier in this thread, but it's version 2.0.5, and phonelink is insisting on v3.

sidenote: maybe my brain is just off today.. but when i try to ldd run from xterm, as user or root, that's in /usr/bin/, I get "-sh: ldd: not found", even with a full path...odd.

marka
2006-07-25, 16:07
I feel like an idiot. I can't find a deb for libgnokii in the maemo garage, only the phonelink deb.

I did find an install for libgnokii earlier in this thread, but it's version 2.0.5, and phonelink is insisting on v3.

sidenote: maybe my brain is just off today.. but when i try to ldd run from xterm, as user or root, that's in /usr/bin/, I get "-sh: ldd: not found", even with a full path...odd.

I just got this installed and working, bit of a chore to get it going, but I used the libgnokii from https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=31&release_id=42

My main problem was I didn't copy the .gnokiirc to /home/user - I put it in home when I was running as root, so it didn't work. Also the gnokii command line didn't work at all, but I was able to send a txt message... strange.

Good luck!

indio
2006-07-31, 13:18
I am trying to use gnokii to get the smses out of a 6630. Has anybody succeeded in doing that?

emarcell
2006-08-22, 19:29
Fred, Thanks for the effort. It is really promising. After sorting out the issues with the packages and the gnokiirc config file, I made it work with my Sony-Ericcsson T610. (I could not get the gnokii command line commands to work though...)

I have a few suggestions which I believe would not be too hard to implement, but would immediately improve the usability of the software.
1. Enable sending concatenated messages, i.e. longer message than 160 chars.
2. Put a character (and an SMS) counter on the message entry form. Especially useful until only one standard message (160 chars) can be sent only.
3. Enable direct phone number entry, not just from the contacts list.
4. List only the mobile numbers by default. If non-mobile numbers are needed by someone, should be a configurable option.

Thanks again.

aRTee
2006-09-24, 11:01
after installing libgnokii and phonelink from here: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=31&release_id=42
all I had to do other than that is create the .gnokiirc in my homedir, adding the mentioned global header; it looks like this now:
$ cat .gnokiirc
[global]
port = xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx #moto
#port = xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx #d500
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
rfcomm_channel = 1
smsc_timeout = 10

as you can see, I have 2 mobiles, smsing and calling works fine with my Motorola V360, nothing works with my Samsung D500, tried various things, such as commenting out various lines in the above rc file, to no avail....
I hope that it will work with the d500 in some way...

mpancorbo
2006-09-25, 16:20
I have the same phone (motorola V 360). Please, guide me in start up:

* how do you see the port code? Is it the bluetooth MAC? How can you obtain it?

* Did you success pairing your phone with 770 for internet conexions?

TIA

aRTee
2006-09-25, 19:38
indeed, the port code is the bluetooth MAC - you can either run

hcitool scan

from the command line which will give you the MAC address, or you can get it if your 770 is paired, it also shows up in one of the configuration screens.

I didn't manage yet to go onto the internet, but I suppose that should be much easier.
I read around here that one must follow the manual (page 26?) to the letter, it's not so straightforward it seems....

Anyway, after adding the MAC into the .gnokiirc nothing else stands in the way.
NO PAIRING NEEDED before starting phoneLink!
Just try to dial a number, and if required your phone will mention the connection and ask to enter a 4 digit code - then the 770 will ask you to enter the same code.
You can enter any code you like! Just use the same code on both devices.
After that, the v360 should just dial the number. Oh, and it will retain the 770 bluetooth MAC and allow future access, so you can directly write sms messages on the 770 and have the phone send them, no further buttonpresses required - just leave the phone in your pocket.

Hope this helps!

mpancorbo
2006-09-25, 21:28
indeed, the port code is the bluetooth MAC - you can either run

hcitool scan

from the command line which will give you the MAC address, or you can get it if your 770 is paired, it also shows up in one of the configuration screens.

Ok. Yes, it took me not so much to get MAC-address.

I didn't manage yet to go onto the internet, but I suppose that should be much easier.
I read around here that one must follow the manual (page 26?) to the letter, it's not so straightforward it seems....

But it IS easy: go to control panel, telefone connections, search for new one, wake up the 360's bluetooth recognition and then the phone appears on the 770-screen. The not-so-easy part comes when you select the phone and it freezes, while the tablet returns warning about services that were not found on the phone...

Anyway, after adding the MAC into the .gnokiirc nothing else stands in the way.
NO PAIRING NEEDED before starting phoneLink!
Just try to dial a number, and if required your phone will mention the connection and ask to enter a 4 digit code - then the 770 will ask you to enter the same code.
You can enter any code you like! Just use the same code on both devices.
After that, the v360 should just dial the number. Oh, and it will retain the 770 bluetooth MAC and allow future access, so you can directly write sms messages on the 770 and have the phone send them, no further buttonpresses required - just leave the phone in your pocket.

Hope this helps!

A lot! Thank you! After correcting a typo on .gnokiirc, everything works as you said.

aRTee
2006-09-26, 12:21
Question: I get a message on my Samsung D500 when trying to dial a number with phoneLink that asks if I want to allow the 770 to use some kind of audio feature...?

Would anyone have any kind of idea what may be going wrong here?

Note that I have managed with 2 SE phones, one Moto and one other Samsung - so I do know how to do it, it's just that my D500 may need some extra convincing....

Luna
2006-09-26, 13:38
I haven't tried yet so forgive the lazy man, but, will this version send and receive SMS?

aRTee
2006-09-27, 14:52
mpancorbo, I tried and now get what you were saying all along:
you can't pair the 770 to the V360.

Sucks. I thought I managed before, but apparently was mistaken.
Annoying! My D500 cannot be used (atm) with phoneLink, but my V360 isn't usable for dialup networking.... AAARRG!

Hm, maybe I should set things up with the D500 for DUN and hack the config file to have the V360 BT MAC address.

Any hints on what file to hack to try this? In other words, where are the BT MAC addresses stored?

Luna, you cannot afaik receive SMS with this version of phoneLink, sending works fine.

therblack
2006-10-09, 14:52
Neat app!

The only problem I seem to have is with international numbers...these I have entered as e.g., +16171234567 (not the "+").

Phonelink seems to translate the + to 00, but then my phone service says this is an illegal number ...

Any ideas?

thanks

junioru
2007-07-28, 00:59
Nice idea !
I don't know if there's any public API for GTalk ...
What would be really nice is a plugin architecture that would allow to plug any contact management system at the heart of the 770 ...

Fred

yes, it is. if you go on google products on codes you can find out more.

junioru
2007-07-28, 01:39
Thought I'd take a minute and write up how I installed gnokii. It was sort of a pain, so this should make it easier for anyone who wants to try PhoneLink.

gnokii
gnokiirc
libgnokii.so.2.0.5
8) Run /sbin/ldconfig (this will prevent gnokii complaining about missing shared objects)
port = xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (this is the MAC for your phone, find it using "hcitool scan")
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
rfcomm_channel = 1
smsc_timeout = 10

To test gnokii run:

this is not working for me, -sh: /var bla bla not found, i must to say that i made by hand all those folders/ install /etc.... plus when i'm trying to install that deb file is says that my software is not ok for it and is the last version for nokia 770

junioru
2007-07-29, 15:02

gnokii
gnokiirc
libgnokii.so.2.0.5
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
rfcomm_channel = 1
smsc_timeout = 10

To test gnokii run:

sorry for comming back but i still couldn't install this gnokii on my nokia 770.

so, i got those 3 files, i becomed root, after this
from my path of mmc1... cp gnokii /var/lib/install/usr/bin

from my path of mmc1... cp libnokii..... /var/lib/install/usr/bin
from my path of mmc1... cp libnokii..... /usr/lib

$root /sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig: Can't open configuration file /etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory

i made a copy of gnokiirc in ~/ but when i'm ls, there's no gnokii file.

where i'm going wrong?

i really need gnorkii on my 770.

thanks

linuxgeek
2007-07-30, 10:26
Do you have to be in R&D mode as well as just typing sudo gainroot?
I still get "not found" error after doing all that.
Also phonelink seems to want a different version so.3 not so.2.5

Beginnerone
2007-10-05, 01:41
Sorry, I think i'm missing something. Everywhere I've looked it says the gnokiirc file should be named ".gnokiirc". How does a person name a file this? It has to be done in Xterm doesn't it? When i try to rename the file from the filemanager it gives me an error. What would be the command to rename from xterm? I can copy the file in xterm, but it's not named correctly. Everybody else has managed to get past this part, so there must be something I don't know. I did change the .gnokiirc file, but right now there's still a name infront of it. (Pretty new to the Xterm side of the IT)

cbarnett
2007-10-05, 12:04
Ok... You knew this was coming, so let's get it over with: You need to read up on basic *nix commands.

That said, here's what you need to do:

$> mv gnokiirc .gnokiirc

On *nix you use the move command to rename files. Remember that on *nix everything is a file, so no-one come back with stuff about folders, devices and links.

cbarnett
2007-10-05, 13:29
Hmmm... I had fixing phonelink on my N800 todo list, and here's a funky thing: I installed phonelink from the package on the Maemo repository, and when I ssh to the box, gnokii is NOT installed. The Package Manager says it's installed, but I can't find the executables. My guess is that will cut into the functionality of phonelink ;) What do you think?

What's the current recommended package for an N800?

gogol
2007-10-05, 15:51
a good way to find what files a .deb package is installing is to read the .list file it creates in /var/lib/dpkg/info.
$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/yourpackagename.list

cbarnett
2007-10-06, 14:11
Thanks for the tip, but that's not the question. This is:

What version of the phonelink installation is the Nokia Internet Tablet community currently favouring?

BTW - That won't necessarily tell you what the package installed. It just tells you what it's supposed to install.

find / -name gnokii* is what I used. It tells me what's actually on my system.

Saturn
2007-10-06, 17:05
What version of the phonelink installation is the Nokia Internet Tablet community currently favouring?

Hope I understand the question; I have been using extensively version 0.7 (that's the latest) for several months in my N800 without serious problems. If you want to build something on top, I think that's the version to choose. I would be happy to test anything you build.

Some side notes:
1. The SMS is not sent if the phone is inside a menu (maybe this is a specific problem on my mobile, Nokia 6310) and you don't get any notification about it. It has happened to me many times to be inside the phone's contacts menu reading the number of the person I want to sent the SMS, which meant that I never sent that message. Very annoying..
2. There isn't a confirmation that the SMS was sent.
3. The delivery notification (you can set in your phone's SMS settings) never arrives if you sent it through the phonelink software.
4. The sent SMS is not saved anywhere (neither on the software nor in the phone's memory)
5. It uses something that comes with the GPE (can't remember now), but it is not registered properly (sorry for missing the proper technical terms). What I mean is that you can uninstall it without getting the prompt that this is used by the phonelink. Thereafter, the phonelink fails to start without any details, unless you start it in xterm witch tells you which part is missing.

Big thanks to Fred for his efforts.

Chris

Beginnerone
2007-10-06, 18:38
Thanks for you answer, and I will read up on the commands. It was all for nothing though, I don't think my phone supports Remote SMS. (I used the AT model and tried channel 1-14, 3/4 were audio, and 10/11 were file transfer, according to the little icons on my phone. :( )

torx
2007-10-15, 17:42
It connects to my Sony Ericsson W810i, but none of the command works.

fredoll
2007-10-31, 08:59
Phonelink easier to install (0.8 Bora)

the installer creates a valid gnokii configuration file if none is present ...
Hope this will help those finding it difficult to install.
Checkout garage !
Enjoy
Fred

Rufus
2007-10-31, 22:19
Lightweight gets Phonelink v0.8 to work :)

I'm i bit of a newbee to all this so took a while – here is what I did and hope this is of help to other doderers like me. The latest version much easier – I have tried in the past and failed. Thanks Fred :-).

1.You need your phones bluetooth MAC address – you can find this using the N800 using Tools > Contol pannel then bluetooth. Click the 'devices' button – select your phone – click 'edit' the address is the 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx number at the bottom.

2.Load GPE contacts database – you will need this to put the phone numbers in you want to SMS or auto-dial using phonelink. It installs from here http://www.cobb.uk.net/770/gpe-calendar.install

3.Populate the GPE contacts database with some names and numbers (it will have loaded by default into the 'extras' folder) – I managed to send v.cards from my mobile to populate the database as it as a v.card import tool – but don't worry if you don't know how to do that just type :-).

4.Install https://garage.maemo.org/frs/download.php/806/libgnokii3_0.6.14_armel.deb then install https://garage.maemo.org/frs/download.php/2460/phonelink_0.8bora_armel.deb

5.Ok tricky bit – you need to have X terminal loaded http://maemo-hackers.org/osso-xterm.install. Launch X terminal (also in extras by default – you get a black screen with a ~ $

type the following lines

cd /home/user
vi .gnokiirc << note the dot . Before the gnokiirc >>

press “i” to enter text edit mode (a capital I appears at the bottom) you can then edit the text and change :

port=00.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx to your phones MAC address.
model = xxxx to your phones number e.g. 6021

and scroll down a bit – press PgDn on the right of the screen

TELEPHONE = xxxxxxxxxxx your phones number

Then type :wq and the file will be saved – phew. You can close X terminal

6.Start phone link
Ta-da
Press the search button and the entries you put in GPE contact will appear. Select one and press ADD and it will appear on the right hand side. Select it then press the SMS button at the bottom and a window will pop up to enter the SMS text then off it goes. Make sure your N800 and phone have bluetooth turned on :-)

Good luck

fredoll
2007-11-01, 07:21
0.8 takes care of the .gnokiirc part !
So the point 5 is not needed any more (if you don't ave a .gnokiirc file)
Fred

TTgowings
2008-01-05, 13:42
Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the Phonelink icon after un-install ? (OS 2008)

ghoonk
2008-01-06, 12:06
Hi there,

I installed Phonelink in order to try it out, but since I couldn't get gnokii to work, I decided to wait for some easier way / integrated installer or whatever and uninstalled Phonelink.

The uninstall process (Application Manager) did just fine and finished saying "successfully removed" or something like it. But after a restart I'm seeing the Phonelink app still sitting in my application menu (I put it in "Extras"). I can't start in any more, there's no logo for it, but it's there and annoying me. How to get rid of the unnessecary entry?

Thanks for your answers,
onlife

Facing the same problem here. Does anyone have a how-to on getting rid of PhoneLink's rogue entry?

Saturn
2008-01-07, 09:41
Facing the same problem here. Does anyone have a how-to on getting rid of PhoneLink's rogue entry?

Have a look here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12578

ghoonk
2008-01-07, 09:50
I did. I'm no X-Term expert and rather than risk breaking something through tinkering, so I ended up reflashing the N800.

However, this probably doesn't change the fact that PhoneLink does not uninstall properly (and that I probably need some lessons in Linux)

Saturn
2008-01-07, 10:07
... I probably need some lessons in Linux ...

Just in case, here is a really nice guide:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

fredoll
2008-01-07, 10:20
Hi,
I have corrected the packager script that worked in OS2007 ...
You'll soon find phonelink 1.0.2 on the repositories and the garage ...
Sorry for the inconvenience
Fred

pwsn
2008-01-08, 08:37
since the phone can only connect to one bluetooth device at a time, wouldn't you not be able to use a headset and dial with your tablet?

i was hoping you could have your phone in your bag with a headset on and tablet in hand.

fredoll
2008-01-15, 11:03
Yep No Problemo : I do it often
I dial with the N800 and PhoneLink and use my BT headset to talk : The phone stays in the pocket ;-)

ghoonk
2008-01-15, 11:47
App suggestion:

UI improvements could include the following tabs

- keypad (for dialling)
- speed dials
- SMS conversations (by date/time, then threaded by conversation)
- Send SMS tab with the following input boxes:
- Recipient input box with auto-look up except when a number or symbol appears as the first character of the input
- Text box for composition of SMS message with support for concatenated SMS

notification of incoming text messages and missed calls using status bar icon and LED

Just my 2 cents :)

petentic
2008-02-01, 12:31
since the phone can only connect to one bluetooth device at a time, wouldn't you not be able to use a headset and dial with your tablet?

i was hoping you could have your phone in your bag with a headset on and tablet in hand.

I'd like to have the Bluetooth connection between my N800 and 6120 Classic so that I could basically perform everything from my N800 (having kind of remote desktop to the phone from N800). Since I've got the wired stereo headphones connected to N800, I'd like to be able to answer to incoming phone calls via N800, and when needed, to start a phone call using only N800. The same goes with SMS's. If the PhoneLink gives me that, then great, I'll go and try that :)

ghoonk
2008-02-01, 13:07
So the use case is as follows:

Phone is relegated to a radio device, with the NiT functioning as the user interface to:

- initiate and terminate calls, and connection is established between BT headset and handset.
- call management (call swopping, setting up multi-party calls, etc)
- send and receive SMS (NiTwill alert on new SMS received, and user can compose and send SMS from the NiT)
- NiT/Phonelink IDs incoming callers and user can accept/reject incoming calls accordingly.

In this sense, I believe you are looking for the NiT equivalent of Nokia PC Phone (http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/pcphone) for the NiT. This software hasn't worked as well for me as float's Mobile Agent (http://fma.sourceforge.net/index2.htm) did for me with my Sony Ericsson device.

The above use case would require that the user either leave the Phonelink application open (to maintain the BT connection/ping/poll between the NiT and the handset) or that upon opening Phonelink, SMS and call logs are synced automatically and quickly. The former scenario would have implications on battery life for handset and NiT since the connection is always-on. The latter would be the preferred mode of operation, IMHO.

However, i do not believe that Phonelink is able to do this today, and the UI needs some improvement (it's still too basic)

fredoll
2008-02-12, 11:26
I have made a wiki page to refernce phones that work and the others ...
Please update it and don't hesitate to contact me to chack that your phone really doesn't work ...
the page is here (http://internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=SMS_with_phonelink_:_which_phones_ work_and_which_don%27t)

angelb
2008-02-14, 19:16
I have a Nokia 6103 and it SEEMS Phonelink doesn't work with it. I have changed the .gnokiirc file and got to the point where I can see my GPE contacts. I select one, and then the program pauses for a second or two and displays the "Dialing" label, but it never does anything and the phone never shows sign of activity.

I changed my Bluetooth MAC address, Phone model (I used 6103 and also tried 6230, which in my Palm works like a charm when using the SMS application) and telephone number as instructed by Rufus in post #70 of this thread. No joy, however.

Has anyone successfully used Phonelink with this Nokia model?

fredoll
2008-03-19, 09:18
Sorry for the late reply ...
You should try gnokii-gconf : it will allow you to let gnokii identify your phone ...

angelb
2008-03-20, 05:09
Fredoll:

Thank you very much!!! It worked perfectly at the first try. Now I can send SMS and dial through my NT. Yay!!
The only (sort of) drawback is that my Nokia 6031 asks for confirmation to connect with the Tablet every time a SMS or dialing is made, which is a bit awkward, but I can live with that for now.

Thanks for your time and dedication to making this great application more accesible and user-friendly.

Regards

fredoll
2008-03-20, 07:56
I think in the bluetooth settings on your nokia if you go into paired device and check out the options for your NIT you can set an automatic acceptance ...

qwerty12
2008-03-20, 07:58
I'm pretty sure a W810 works. I know it works for calling, I will test it fully (SMS) when I get back :) and update wiki.

angelb
2008-03-21, 05:57
Fredoll:

Right after I wrote my last reply I remembered to enable the Auto-Confirm in the paired device configuration. As you rightly mention, this solved the problem. Thanks!

However, I noticed that I can't have the Bluetooth Headset paired to the phone at the same time I use Phonelink to send a SMS or dial. Nothing that turning the headset off and quickly switching it on after Phonelink has dialed doesn't solve but I had hoped it might not be necessary. I think I saw a post that said this was possible.

This doesn't detract at all from the fun I'm having sending SMS now from my NT ;)

Once more, thank you for this great application

Angel
Mexico City

fredoll
2008-03-21, 08:29
It sure is possible to dial and have a headset connected at the same time : I'm always doing it with my SE W880i (driver AT) : I suppose it depends on the capability of your phone ...