PDA

View Full Version : ITT's new look at what price?

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 16:11
I love ITT but it is no longer useable for me on my tablet. I try to load the fron page and it about dies when I try to increase to 120%.

If I can not use this site with my Nokia device, it does not do me a lot of good. I suppose I can link to ti internettablettalk.com/forum so I can get past the front page.

I would take the old site back in a minute to have it be useable again...

zerojay
2007-11-21, 16:14
Works fine for me on mine.

Reggie
Just an FYI:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11621

sachin007
Its good on n800 os 2008. So for the future this is a good update. update to the latest 2008os if you can.

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 16:18
Works fine for me on mine.

Zerojay, load the front page and increase to 120%, it works great for you, no slowness or hanging?

Milhouse
2007-11-21, 16:20
I use the Mobile II style when viewing on the tablet - it's basic but very usable. That said, something more stylish while retaining the low bandwidth usability would be much preferred.

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 16:23
I did not know how to change my theme, will do some playing and see if that makes things any better?

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 16:24
Its good on n800 os 2008. So for the future this is a good update. update to the latest 2008os if you can.

I am running 2008OS on n800, so thats not helping me. Can you load the front page and zoom to 120%?

tarheeltablet
2007-11-21, 16:26
I had troubles at first but I think Reggie must have fixed some issues. The site looks awsome on my 770 now. I can access it no problems with OS 2006 or OS2007HE. If you just want to look at the messages that is really quick you can type http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/archive

nosam
2007-11-21, 17:24
Hi, is the back skin gone now? I look at ITT with a desktop and miss that dark theme.

benny1967
2007-11-21, 17:35
It doesnt even work well on my laptop... Following the logic of "provide an optimized page for tablet viewing", please add "provide an optimized page for laptop viewing" as an additional choice.

Also, it sends my 770 to reboot before the front page is loaded - so I didnt really know what to choose ;)

Maybe "Make it plain HTML that works on compliant browsers" would be an option.

realcomix
2007-11-21, 17:48
i like it but i flashed back to 2007 from 2008 on my n800 and now this site runs so slow ... but im thinkin it just might be because of the flash on the home page... and also the search doesn't drop down anymore i have to hold it down and open in a separate window....

TA-t3
2007-11-21, 17:50
It works OK for me on the N800, but I always switch to classic mode before doing anything. I'm a bit bothered by the very long load time before I even get there (I'm sometimes on a lousy net and on such nets the loading time is really really noticable). I wish for a different link for the mobile-optimized versions.. http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/mobile anyone? ;)

Edit: I just read Reggie's reference post:
>3. Auto loading of mobile theme on forums
If that works I would be fine, particularly if the detection is done early enough to avoid the stuff that increases my load time..

Milhouse
2007-11-21, 18:26
I've got two bookmarks for ITT - one for the Mobile II style and another for the full fat (default) style (which I rarely use nowadays).

Mobile II New Posts bookmark (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&styleid=6)
N810 v2 New Posts bookmark (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&styleid=4)

Why let the site choose based on device? Just bookmark which version of the site you want to see. :) Fortunately the site remembers the preferred style in a cookie so I can happily view the site using Mobile II on the N800 and full fat in a desktop browser without any confusion.

Rebski
2007-11-21, 18:50
[QUOTE]I love ITT but it is no longer useable for me on my tablet. QUOTE]

On OS2008/N800 this is my experience also. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to give up entirely. It is ironic that the site dedicated to the Internet Tablet should be about the worse performing when accessed on the device.

The latest MicroB storms everything else, but ITT Forum brings it to its knees.

Yes I could use the mobile version but I don't need to do so with any other site so why this one of all sites?

Reggie
2007-11-21, 18:52
Yes I could use the mobile version but I don't need to do so with any other site so why this one of all sites?

Something's coming. How about the Classic theme then? That should look like any other forum-based site.

Rebski
2007-11-21, 19:22
Something's coming.
That is good news.

The new look is a real eye catcher on my pc and props for that. But shouldn't the design brief take into account the scope of the IT as a primary consideration?

Quite apart from performance issues, about 50% of the Home screen is taken up with gratuitous eye candy, an indulgence for which the IT doesn’t have the screen size to justify. Accepted, most sites care little for such limitations but surely the ITT Forum should? Even the BBC News site makes far more efficient use of the screen.

Sorry I just don’t get it.

artkavanagh
2007-11-21, 19:52
Fortunately the site remembers the preferred style in a cookie so I can happily view the site using Mobile II on the N800 and full fat in a desktop browser without any confusion.

This is exactly what I do (except substitute "Classic" for "Mobile II") and it works just fine.

Reggie
2007-11-21, 20:20
Accepted, most sites care little for such limitations but surely the ITT Forum should? Even the BBC News site makes far more efficient use of the screen.

Sorry I just don’t get it.
Hey, cut some slack on a one-man run site here. ;)

fpp
2007-11-21, 20:38
I've always used the Classic (blue) mode on desktops/laptops, and plain Mobile (not II/III) on the tablets. Can't see my way through the black theme(s). Waiting for the new tablet-specific theme Reggie has announced...

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 20:40
Hey, cut some slack on a one-man run site here. ;)

Reggie, I by no means wanted to imply you were not doing enough in my thread, I have just been very very frustrated recently with trying to use my favorite site on my tablet. I look forward to a solution that works for everyone and I appreciate your time. I am however glad to see I am not the only one upset with the current situation.

Personally I feel the site should be designed with tablet viewing in mind, and forget all the others.

Thanks again and I can't wait for a solution, I always used to use ITT on my n800 and I just want it back.

phi
2007-11-21, 22:21
I long for the days of the original "classic" front page. Best thing to do would be able to give users the ability to customize the front page's css/layout. Right now, I used to be able to browse the front page on my 770 and iPhone but now the site just makes both my devices choke.

Milhouse
2007-11-21, 23:15
Reggie, I by no means wanted to imply you were not doing enough in my thread, I have just been very very frustrated recently with trying to use my favorite site on my tablet. I look forward to a solution that works for everyone and I appreciate your time. I am however glad to see I am not the only one upset with the current situation.

Personally I feel the site should be designed with tablet viewing in mind, and forget all the others.

Thanks again and I can't wait for a solution, I always used to use ITT on my n800 and I just want it back.

I'm not really sure the fault is entirely Reggies as I find the N800/microb struggles with most vBulletin forums when using a "full fat" style. Maybe the MicroB browser should be tuned to eradicate the performance problems that are encountered when accessing vBulletin forums rather than trying to fix vBulletin forums on an individual basis? Perhaps a bug in bugzilla is needed as a long term fix as I'm sure forums are a major use case for tablets.

penguinbait
2007-11-21, 23:26
I just want it to work, and its not just microb

Here is my question, why when I switch to classic, does everything on the front page look exactly the same, as the default, but it loads without killing my n800. If you had a classic mode with a black theme, I would be in heaven again.

So why if the front page looks the same does it load better when switched to classic, is this different code on the fron page?

TA-t3
2007-11-22, 11:49
Re: bookmarks - I try to keep bookmarks to the minimum, because my list of bookmarks always overflow quickly and with the limited space on the N800 it's even worse than on my desktop. For often-used sites I often just enter the URL.. with some aid of the input method's memory (although I'm thinking about spending one of the bookmarks on one of those URLs suggested by Mil). Anyway, I have lots of hope for the auto-recognition of tablet browsers that Reggie is working on! Cheers! :D

Rebski
2007-11-22, 12:13
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Hey, cut some slack on a one-man run site here
Reggie, I really am sorry, from the nature and content of the site I had assumed serious Nokia involvement.

In the event that this is your personal project then my perception is radically altered and I would like to express my thanks for your making this invaluable resource available.

My usability concerns remain unchanged but I shall express them as requests and suggestions in future and reserve my Nokia induced frustration for Nokia.

Milhouse
2007-11-22, 20:46
Re: bookmarks - I try to keep bookmarks to the minimum, because my list of bookmarks always overflow quickly and with the limited space on the N800 it's even worse than on my desktop. For often-used sites I often just enter the URL.. with some aid of the input method's memory (although I'm thinking about spending one of the bookmarks on one of those URLs suggested by Mil). Anyway, I have lots of hope for the auto-recognition of tablet browsers that Reggie is working on! Cheers! :D

For my commonly used bookmarks I have a simple HTML web page hosted on my web space server which I then set as my home page on the N800. If you don't have access to a server you could create the file locally.

fpp
2007-11-22, 21:31
Yup, same here (since about 1996 :-). Started with a DOS batch file parsing Netscape's bookmark file ; right now the page (actually, set of pages) is generated by a python script from a specially-tagged subset of my del.icio.us bookmarks.

Aisu
2007-11-22, 21:39
Odd...

ITT Works absolutely fine on my 770, the beautiful new theme and all. It'll zoom to 120% without any problems :)

wazd
2007-11-22, 22:01
Please, remove orange background in «new on forum» strings on the main page! Blue font on orange is goddamn totaly unreadable! It happens when loading without pictures. Pleeeease, mercy my eyes((

bizshop
2007-11-23, 04:07
Big 810 picture covers all the top icons, most of content.

phatcat33
2007-11-23, 18:40
same here. also loading the home page is impossible. either the browser closes or my n770 (OS 2006) reboots.

debernardis
2007-11-23, 18:54
I always use the mobile stile, just would like to get also attached files and thanks button with it. Eyecandy is deleterious on the tablet imho.

basco
2007-11-26, 17:02
Also with the mobile style - ability to go back to other styles or use control panel.

phi
2007-11-27, 03:41
the main page has crashed my iPhone browser twice!

sachin007
2007-11-27, 03:41
the main page has crashed my iPhone browser twice!

iphone is just crap..... :D

phi
2007-11-27, 03:44
ha. Yeah but it'll have to do til my n800 gets here. The site was killer on my 770 too

phi
2007-12-03, 16:15
Ok, now that I have an n800 with OS2007 and opera. The front page still renders poorly and there is some funky problem that masks out some of the active forum topic threads at the top. It also takes forever to load on Camino on my MacBook Pro with a Core2Duo processor + 3GB of RAM. Obviously, this is a CSS/HTML badly written code issue. I hope it gets rectified soon.

iamthewalrus
2007-12-23, 17:00
This site, especially the homepage, uses a lot of complex javascript and css. I'd appreciate it if you manage to make a 'lite' version because it takes half a minute to render in Microb. Also a vote for a smaller header-image as it takes up half the screen now.

fpp
2007-12-23, 17:31
Again : just use Mobile mode...

iamthewalrus
2007-12-23, 18:28
Again : just use Mobile mode...
There is indeed a mobile version (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&styleid=7)mentioned in this thread. It would also be helpful if there would be a big button 'mobile version' somewhere on top of the page. But still it's kind of ironic that the main page can't be properly viewed with the very devices it is about.

Benson
2008-01-22, 17:34
It could stand to be more finger-friendly, too. Check the page selector region... WHY can't those numbers, or at least the next and previous buttons, be large enough to slap without thinking.

As far as visual design, aside from the orange background flash, I find the color scheme quite readable, and aesthetically pleasing. But the header has way too much space wasted. The IT is only 800x480, so getting the content closer to the top would be real nice.

oldmancoyote1
2008-01-23, 05:04
This site is, IMHO, way too busy (visually). Most of the visual aspects of the site don't serve any purpose. I'm sure it was fun to program all these clever aspects, buy they distract me from what I want to read, and frankly they annoy me whenever I log on.

I am sorry if this offends someone, but that's how I see it. I do appreciate the existence of the site, and I'm sure it's a lot of work for someone with little in return.

febb
2008-01-23, 05:30
I'd add:

Get rid of:
a) The heave graphics on the front / main page.
b) The orange colors that flash when loading the initial page.
c) The black background which is extremely hard to read with the chosen colors for letters.

On the Forums side, I can leave with either classic or mobile versions. It is just the front page that is quite annoying to me.

The fact that sometimes the ITT makes my NIT tablet to crash is also annoying.

Otherwise, this is a really great site and I do specially appreciate and thank its owners and managers work and effort to keep it on running smoothly. Thanks !!!!

AbelMN
2008-01-23, 07:35
Thanks for the mobile version. Now how do I get back to the classic style?

Hate this question.

ghoonk
2008-01-23, 07:49
found the fix

www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&style=4

mooler
2008-01-23, 07:54
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/index.php?styleid=1

Then go to UserCP>Edit Options

scroll all the way down.

you will see a drop down menu option under Forum Skin.

Select Classic.