vim ~/.opera/opera.ini
or
vim ~/.opera/input.ini

it says

sh: vim: not found

what do I need to do to make vim work?

terrypchan
2006-01-29, 15:05
Try making sure the path to the vim binary is specified correctly. So either invoke vim with full path to the binary or add vim's path to your $PATH env variable.

RogerS
2006-01-29, 15:29
For those of us familiar with Windows, adding a directory to the PATH environment variable is easy to understand.

But how do I do that on the 770?

And can it be done without having root access?

And what is the full path to a binary? Well, you know what I mean -- where are these apps installed and how does a user find out the exact directory vim was put into? Like if it's put nto a subdirectory, how do you know?

Thanks.

msaunby
2006-01-29, 17:37
Take a look at the entry I made on using xterm in the wiki. It won't answer all your questions - for that you'll need to get more familiar with Linux and its "shells" - e.g. bash. Though busybox (which provides the shell on the 770) isn't a complete bash shell it's near enough.

thedarksavant
2006-01-29, 17:48
To set the path
export PATH=$PATH:{path to add}
where {path to add} is the path you want to add.

User installed binaries go in /var/lib/install/usr/bin

I had found some instructions on how to install vim as root, so the binary would go in /usr/bin, but I can't find it :(

howardhughes
2006-01-29, 20:55
thedarksavant,

I entered the command using the full path and it opened like a charm.

Thanks

aflegg
2006-01-30, 09:25
If the instructions at http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#vim aren't clear enough, please let me know and I'll improve them.

Similarly, if the vim section of the ApplicationCatalog is confusing, fix it yourself ;-)

jayholler
2006-03-10, 16:08
OK, I just want to make sure I enter this stuff correctly:

First of all, when I launch vim /home/user/.profile it tells me I am creating a new file. Should there already be one there?

then, since this is a totally blank file, I have inserted:

"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/lib/install/usr/lib /var/lib/install/usr/bin/vim"

in reality, since I extended the root filesystem with extrootfs my exact entry to .profile looks like this:

"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Root/var/lib/install/usr/lib /Root/var/lib/install/usr/bin/vim"

how do I set the PATH variable in .profile?

Not sure of the syntax and I don't want to brick my beautiful little device, again.

UPDATE: I unistalled vim and reinstalled it as root using dpkg, modifying it for the extrootfs because ~ is now /Root

just typing vim doesn't work. I still need to type "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Root/usr/lib /Root/usr/lib/vim" (or something to that effect, can't remember the exact path found using "find /Root -name vim", but you get the idea.)

So i figured out that .profile is located in /Root/root/.profile and it existed with a PATH already set that was long, included a lot of /bin and /sbin, and ended with X11. Do i just write LD_LIBRARY_PATH=* on a new line below this pre-existing PATH variable?

Sorry for my inexperience, but I want to make sure I do the right thing and I have not messed with .profile before, can you tell?

MORE UPDATES:

OK, now I found a wiki that describes creating a .shrc file for easy profile manipulation. My issue now is using dpkg to uninstall the vim-tiny package i installed quoted above.

I've tried dpkg -r /media/mmc1/vim-tiny_5.6.070-1.1_all.deb, but the error:

you must specify packages by their own names, not by the names of the packages they come in

so how can i remove the files i used dpkg to install?