PDA

View Full Version : European user buying the N810 in the U.S.

gbuergisser
2007-11-23, 07:09
I'm located in Switzerland and I'm thinking about buying the N810 from the U.S. Unfortunately most Webshops don't ship to Europe.
Does anybody know a retailer that ships to Europe?

And further, I'd be interested in knowing what maps are installed on the U.S. device (for the GPS application). Are there also European maps installed or only north American ones?

Any further hints or things to think about when buying from the U.S.?

Milhouse
2007-11-23, 07:35
Be aware that a US N810 will have a QWERTY keyboard - this might be OK for you, but if you want a German (even French?) keyboard on your N810 you would need to buy one locally.

As for the maps I guess a US N810 will come with maps for North America but maps for Europe can be downloaded free so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll probably pay some sort of import duty I'd imagine, which could make it more expensive than buying locally (factor in shipping costs too) however with the dollar at an all time low that's probably unlikely!

It's only a matter of time (days rather than weeks) before the N810 becomes available in Europe. I'd wait a bit longer if I were you. :)

Karwee
2007-11-23, 07:41
..And further, I'd be interested in knowing what maps are installed on the U.S. device (for the GPS application). Are there also European maps installed or only north American ones?

Any further hints or things to think about when buying from the U.S.?

The U.S version comes with maps for only USA-West, USA-East and Canadia.:(

All userguides are preinstalled on the device in just about every European language.:)

If you do manage to find a store to ship overseas, do a little research on them on google. When your dealing with companies out of your own country, and something goes wrong, it could be difficult dealing with the company.

munky261
2007-11-23, 07:49
i wont buy anything online unless i absolutely have to... hell , i drove a 600 mile round trip just to pick my 810 up on the 17th.

Jerome
2007-11-23, 07:53
http://www.dynamism.com ships gadgets all over the world, but aren't cheap. They want 499$ for the N810, and don't have it on stock.

halbamy
2007-11-23, 09:48
Hi!

I'm going to be in Los Angeles in February and I'm wondering how likely I have to pay a tax for importing a N810 in my pocket to Germany.
Does anyone know how much the tax for electronics is?

Rider
2007-11-23, 09:55
Hi!

I'm going to be in Los Angeles in February and I'm wondering how likely I have to pay a tax for importing a N810 in my pocket to Germany.

Throw away the packaging and bring the N810 in your pocket with you. You may send the papers (warranty, invoice) by post.

Then you don't pay taxes :D

(BTW: US keyboards are much better for Unix systems. Unless you really miss your umlauts...)

2e1ebr
2007-11-23, 10:12
I'm off to run the Disney Marathon in Florida in Jan, If it's all setteled down by then everyone in my group will be bringing one back (no boxes and paperwork by post) What are other good toys that can move this way ?
Also any good I.T. shops near Disney complex ?

axxis272
2007-11-23, 10:28
have a look here: http://www.myus.com/
i haven't checked it out myself though

TA-t3
2007-11-23, 11:51
Hi!

The German regulations are either available in print from the nearest duty office, or maybe even on the web. I don't know what the limit is for importing goods to Germany, but for many countries the duty-free limit is way way higher when you're travelling yourself than when you import by mail. So there's a good chance that the price of an N810 is much lower than this limit. But you should check first, to be sure.

gbuergisser
2007-11-23, 11:51
Be aware that a US N810 will have a QWERTY keyboard - this might be OK for you, but if you want a German (even French?) keyboard on your N810 you would need to buy one locally.

As for the maps I guess a US N810 will come with maps for North America but maps for Europe can be downloaded free so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll probably pay some sort of import duty I'd imagine, which could make it more expensive than buying locally (factor in shipping costs too) however with the dollar at an all time low that's probably unlikely!

It's only a matter of time (days rather than weeks) before the N810 becomes available in Europe. I'd wait a bit longer if I were you. :)

Thank you for your useful reply.

I'm aware of the keyboard issue. Since they don't have a Swiss keyboard layout anyway, I'd have to use the German one. So I can be happy with US layout all the same.

Can you tell me where the maps can be downloaded?

And you're right: Because the dollar is so low, I can spare about 200 US$ compared to the suggested price of 750 Swiss Francs...

Milhouse
2007-11-23, 12:24
Can you tell me where the maps can be downloaded?

You download the maps from within the navigation application itself - I'm not sure if they're available for download outside of the application. The "Germany & Alps" map is a 298MB download, while the map for Italy (in case you need it also) is 231MB. :)

aflegg
2007-11-23, 13:12
Someone should put up a wiki page somewhere detailing the various maps available and the size they take. For example, from those sizes I imagine being able to have the UK & French maps on concurrently with perhaps around 1.5GB free space.

gbuergisser
2007-11-23, 16:04
Just had a phone call with someone from Nokia Europe and they told me the N810 will not be available for a few weeks (December for sure) in Europe. :(

gbuergisser
2007-11-29, 06:03
I'm about to place my order now... Just two final questions:

WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS are compatible with European devices, right?
The N810 package contains a travel charger that accepts voltage from 110 - 240 volt, right?

May be dumb questions, but I want to make sure I'm not stumbling over something unexpected.

vims
2007-11-29, 06:17
http://www.dynamism.com ships gadgets all over the world, but aren't cheap. They want 499$ for the N810, and don't have it on stock.

Still cheaper than amazon germany... :(

sparkling
2007-11-29, 18:48
...N810 package contains a travel charger that accepts voltage from 110 - 240 volt, right?

Correct.

I do not see a CE mark on the USA N810 carton or device.

There is a difference in the WiFi channels authorized for use in various countries, but there is substantial overlap as explained here, and I doubt this is of practical importance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

R-R
2007-11-30, 20:25
Correct.

I do not see a CE mark on the USA N810 carton or device.

There is a difference in the WiFi channels authorized for use in various countries, but there is substantial overlap as explained here, and I doubt this is of practical importance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Well, I'm in canada but chose france when i applied as i thought it would be easier to ship there. Now i hope i can switch the code to the US for order as i don't want an azerty keyboard and only channel 10-13 where here it's 1-11 which would result in being able to use only 10-11.

Or are they limited to that range only on Access Points?