PDA

View Full Version : BT Openzone

troozers
2006-01-30, 18:14
Has anyone tried using BT Openzone with the Nokia 770?

I have recently gotten my 770, and couldn't wait to try it out at the hotspots around our town.... however, although I connect - I am never presented with the login screen in my browser :(

Has anyone gotten this combination to work? If so, how?

Cheers for any help

Andy

grb
2007-08-03, 13:48
Ok, this is an old post, but it covers the issue I am having. Sitting close to a BT Openzone network point I see a strong wireless signal - but when choosing to connect it always seems to result in a local link ip address.

This sounds like the DHCP request has failed, and although 'connected' the IP address on the 770 does not permit any traffic through the Openzone connection.

I have tried a few other access points, (non BT Openzone) and connected without problems - and I've seen a couple of other postings on this subject... anyone had any success?

grb

brendan
2007-08-03, 13:56
usually when you get the local-link connection status, it means the AP you are trying to connect to is using a MAC address filter, and although you can attach to it, you are not assigned an IP, and cant get to the internet.

try using a static IP and connecting to the AP, to see if it will allow your connection, and the issue is simply DHCP being turned off on the AP.

sjshephard
2007-08-08, 12:09
I also have this problem with my 770. I can see the landing page for The Cloud, T-Mobile, and various smaller services, but not BT Openzone. And this is when I can connect to the hotspot without seeing the 'link-local' message.

It does seem to be returning 192.168.x.x addresses for the Primary and Secondary DNS servers though, which surely can't be right?

grb
2007-08-08, 14:08
I too tried a T-mobile hotspot listed in the Openzone 'find a hotspot', and it worked just fine. As do the access points at home and work.

I will find another BT spot and try again...

grb.

sjshephard
2007-08-09, 07:19
From BT Openzone support:

Thank you for your emails and I have passed on your comments on the Nokia 770 to our product line team, and whilst they are not aware of any specific problems they have noted the problem for further investigation. At this point we are unsure if the issue is with BT Openzone and the Nokia 770 Browser/Operating system.

So at least someone is now looking at it.

The IP range for our networks will always begin 10….etc. The DNS address is 192.168.22.22 or 192.168.22.23

Confirming that the DNS IP addresses returned from the hotspot are the correct ones, so that isn't the issue.

sjshephard
2007-08-09, 11:42
I've given this another go, and according to BT Openzone support, I should be getting an IP address 10.x.x.x - well instead I'm getting 172.29.x.x, which might have something to do with it. I've reported this back to support.

richie
2007-08-10, 13:49
I'm about to switch to BT for their free WiFi minutes. Does BT openzone work on the N800? Or is this just a 770 problem? Does roaming via BT openzone account on Cloud, on the N800 work too?

Cheers
Rich

sjshephard
2007-09-05, 13:20
Latest on this - I can connect my Nokia 770 to BT Openzone without problem using a hotspot at Stansted Airport, but not at the hotspots in phoneboxes in Newcastle. Perhaps there is a problem with certain hotspots? It might not just be with Nokia devices too.

barry99705
2007-09-05, 15:23
I've given this another go, and according to BT Openzone support, I should be getting an IP address 10.x.x.x - well instead I'm getting 172.29.x.x, which might have something to do with it. I've reported this back to support.

That's a self assigned ip range. Your settings aren't getting a dhcp address.

grb
2007-09-06, 14:26
Latest on this - I can connect my Nokia 770 to BT Openzone without problem using a hotspot at Stansted Airport, but not at the hotspots in phoneboxes in Newcastle. Perhaps there is a problem with certain hotspots? It might not just be with Nokia devices too.

I flashed my 770 with the 2007 HE and still the problem persists at my nearest BT Openzone phonebox access point.

At the same location I tried my IPAQ, and it worked fine - being assigned address 10.176.104.70.

My next test will be to manually assign the address to the 770 and see whether it works... I guess it all helps work out where the problem lies?

grb

vaiodon
2007-09-08, 00:49
Aw f-ck it, this web site is unusable with the poxy adverts causing microb to scroll back to top of page repeatedly.

Don't give BT Openzone money, use the Boingo Worldwide service which allows roaming onto Openzone. Not saying that it makes the link local prob go away - sometimes that happens on my N800 too but it sure is cheaper.

sjshephard
2007-09-10, 11:33
Don't give BT Openzone money, use the Boingo Worldwide service which allows roaming onto Openzone. Not saying that it makes the link local prob go away - sometimes that happens on my N800 too but it sure is cheaper.

If the problem is with Openzone hotspots then it doesn't matter which roaming provider you log in with - you don't get to see the login page anyway.

My problem is now solved though - BT Openzone support confirmed that there had been a problem with all the wireless city hotspots in Newcastle giving out the wrong IP address, which is now fixed. My 770 can now connect to these hotspots without any problems.

MST
2007-09-10, 14:19
That's good to hear, I work at Heathrow intermittently and have been meaning to take my 770 along on one of my shifts to try it out using BT Openzone Wi-Fi; my ISP is BT Total Broadband: Option 3 so I get 250 minutes per month included in the package :)