PDA

View Full Version : Micro SD adapter.

Jerome
2007-11-25, 14:24
Just a quick note for people wanting to use micro SD cards in their N800 (with an adapter). They work fine, but there is a slight problem when using them in the external slot: it is almost impossible to get them out without tools. The design of the adapter is such that you don't have any grip to pull them out, you pull the micro-SD card instead and the adapter stays in the slot.

If this ever happens to you, you can pull the microSD card out by using the sharp tip of a knife as a lever. Worked for me.

rr0123
2007-11-30, 00:21
Thanks for the information, I just got my 810 and was wondering.

It's too bad, because the minis seem to cap out at 4gb. I think I am just going to have to leave in the adapter permanently.

If people develop solutions or find adapters that are easier to remove, please post.

Rocketman
2007-11-30, 01:01
I really can't express how dimly I thought of swapping the two SDHC slots of the N800 for a single mini-sd card slot; a format which is obviously on its way out in favor of micro SDHC. Interior shots of the N810 clearly show that the argument of "there just wasn't room for a full sized slot doesn't hold water. Someone really needs to be dragged out behind the shed and shot.

For those who would rather be pragmatic than gripe, the max capacity mini-sd cards are 4 GB and there are 6 GB Micro-SDHC cards available for about $70. You do need an adapter to use the Micro-SDHC in the Mini slot of the n810. The adapters seem to run about 3 bucks plus S&H and are pretty much impossible to source locally, anywhere. Amazon and Ebay both have them available. If you are looking for rock bottom prices, Deal Extreme has two versions of the adapter for about $1.50:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7184
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5341

munky261
2007-11-30, 04:36
hell , walmart near my house sells a 2 gig micro sd card with a mini and full size adapter for less than 40 bux. i got a 4 gig micro at frys electronics (for those of you lucky enough to be near one) with both adapters for 75 bucks. steep price i know , but i dont buy anything online unless i have to... i dont like to wait lol

Jerome
2007-11-30, 06:01
If people develop solutions or find adapters that are easier to remove, please post.

I'll have to look more closely, but attaching a piece of cello tape to it could be an option. I'm not sure that the slot will close, though.

Another option would be to file a slit on the sides of the adapter so as to be able to grab it with the nail. I'll have to look into that.

Last but not least: the internal slot causes no problem.