PDA

View Full Version : N800 running OS2008 - Ops Check Good

b747mech
2007-11-25, 19:00
Personal observations from my own experience:

Install went fine using PCLinuxOS except, sudo is not effective with PCLinuxOS, required install from root terminal without sudo in the command lines. N800 does indeed appear to run faster, though I still find occasional slow startup times for apps. My music player on OS2007 was canola, and is not available for OS2008 so I tried the two new music players for 2008, Kagu and UKMP, kagu seemed like a good idea which was still buggy and not smoothly functional, UKMP is my choice, it appears to be inspired by the iphone look, as it has a smoothly scrolling list of your album cover art which it retrieves without any queries. The other program I used with 2007 which I lost on 2008 (so far) is dates. Dates is simple and effective as a calendar representation on screen with your daily planning visible, I lost a year of entries. Gpe-calendar is a suitable replacement, though data was not transferable. FBReader works fine, it even kept my page on the book I was reading prior to flashing the new OS (after running backup saved from prior year OS). The GUI navigation menus for apps, internet, and contact on the left of screen have been improved to work with big stubby fingers more properly (duhuh, more better?). Final thought: Definite noticeable improvements, was a wise choice to chance the update, in the past I'm sure all have had the occasional lesser result.

Craig - b747mech