PDA

View Full Version : Jack Audio Connection Kit (jackd), possible?

dblank
2007-11-25, 23:31
Has anyone had any luck getting jackd to run?

I've been messing around a bit, but haven't had any success:

# jackd -d alsa -d default -r 44100 -P

jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... default|-|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns

Anyone? :)

zerojay
2007-11-26, 01:28
jackd would be of limited usefulness on the tablets because of their much lower specifications. Any reason for wanting to use jackd?

dblank
2007-11-26, 05:12
jackd would be of limited usefulness on the tablets because of their much lower specifications. Any reason for wanting to use jackd?

There's a few apps I'd like to try out, and they require jack.
I don't expect them to work fantastically, but I'd love to try anyway.

sevo
2007-11-26, 07:28
The ALSA port may already be in use. You may have to attach to esound to make it work.

Sevo

dblank
2007-11-26, 20:49
The ALSA port may already be in use. You may have to attach to esound to make it work.

Attach the applications to esound? or jack? I don't see an esd backend for jack.

I stopped multimediad and esd, ran lsof /dev/dsptask* to be sure nothing was in use, and get same error.

sevo
2007-11-26, 21:26
Oops, yes - jack would only get at the ALSA layer. I doubt that jack will default to /dev/dsptask* though, unless you set that at configure time - you may have to set that manually on the command line.

My only experiment so far was to set up pulseaudio to run on OS2006, with a remote server - which was fairly trivial, and would need merely some init script work to make it a system-wide default. As pa is a network-capable esd replacement, while jack is more suitable as a resource heavy processing chain host, it might be more interesting to build a end-user ready pulseaudio for Maemo, and do pulse-over-jack at the remote system.

dblank
2007-11-26, 21:48
Oops, yes - jack would only get at the ALSA layer. I doubt that jack will default to /dev/dsptask* though, unless you set that at configure time - you may have to set that manually on the command line.

I told it to use ALSA from the command line, and ALSA is by default configured to use /dev/dsptask0 for playback, and /dev/dsptask1 for recording.

I think I'm gonna give up for now :)

sevo
2007-11-27, 11:16
At least on Gentoo, jackd will default to /dev/dsp as the ALSA device - if it does not pick up the locally used device naming convention automatically during configure, you may have to set it explicitly.