PDA

View Full Version : Penny Pincher Screen Protector

smammon
2007-11-27, 02:17
As anyone that knows me from the Zaurus forums - I'm cheap when it comes to screen protectors. Did my usual experiment with the 810 this evening.

Cut an overhead transparency to these approximate dimensions:
5.7cm X 9.5cm.
Nip the corners about a mm and work it under the lip of the screen. Instant screen protector for about .05! I think you could get about 6 or 8 out of one letter size sheet.

This will seem way too big when you first place it on the 810 but there is a large amount of space under the lip - especially on both sides. I started with just a mm or two overage and it would slide around enough that a full mm was uncovered side to side. Took another guess and cut a new one - fits well. When I get a little time I'll make a .pdf template to print them on lasers.

fpp
2007-11-27, 10:12
does the thumb keyboard still pop up after this ?

dsmudger
2007-11-27, 17:09
There's another way to penny-pinch yourself a screen protector for the n810 :cool:

The one it comes with has two stickers on it, but with a bit of care you can remove them leaving the existing already bubble-free correctly sized film in place.

As I've had to return one unit, I had a chance to get it wrong the first time and refine the technique :) the first time I pulled it off, stuck it down on another surface, peeled off the silver tab (this came off fine leaving no residue) and the sticker, leaving behind the silver anti-tamper diamonds. These I scrubbed off using some tissue paper with a bit of white spirit on it.

Unfortunately after sticking the film back on, I found that doing it that way had left enough dust/oil/fluff on the sticky side that it ruined the look of the screen.

Second time around I left it all stuck on and this time, not having any white spirit to hand, I sprayed a bit of anti-static foam cleaner on it and gently wiped away the silver stuff/glue with a cloth.

Worked a treat :p - free screen protector, touchscreen working just fine/only a little less responsive than the previous one where I ended up taking it off entirely after the dust issue.

smammon
2007-11-27, 20:12
does the thumb keyboard still pop up after this ?

Don't use the thumb keyboard at all on my 810 since there is a real keyboard but - no reason it wouldn't work. I notice no degradation in screen sensitivity with the film in place. For example I regularly hit small links with a fingernail just fine. Drawing fine lines in sketch works without a hitch too...

fpp
2007-11-27, 20:32
No reason is not a reason :-)

I asked because I've seen it twice - on a 770 then a N800. Screen protectors (supposedly for the specific models) that worked just fine in "normal" usage (stylus, finger tip or nail), but totally suppressed the "full finger" detection needed to bring up the thumb keyboard...

Saturn
2007-11-27, 22:02
The transparencies (at least those I got) are short of porous and the stylus doesn't flow that well. Other than that, it works fine.

dsmudger
2007-11-28, 09:22
but totally suppressed the "full finger" detection needed to bring up the thumb keyboard...

Actually now you mention it, I only ever saw the thumb keyboard working on the unit where I took the film off - it worked really really nicely with the improved-sensitivity N810 touchscreen (much improved compared with the 770 - not sure about compared with N800), can't seem to get it to work with this one no matter how much I exaggerate the big contact area - maybe I'll take the film off/maybe not, given how scratched the film looks already... ;)

fpp
2007-11-28, 10:15
Thanks for the confirmation, good to know I'm not alone ;-)

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-11-28, 10:59
Would you all reckon that a screen protector (in one form or another) is a must?

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

sevo
2007-11-28, 11:44
I would certainly recommend one - my 770 by now has quite a few scratches, especially along the right hand side (where the scroll bars are) and on the keyboard area, which cause a irritating "rough" stylus feeling. By contrast, the Vikuiti protector on the N800 is practically unscratched, and if it ever should get damaged, it can be replaced.

The overlay it comes with does not really replace a screen protector - that thing is merely intended against in-transport and in-shop damage, and will be wasted within one or two weeks, where serious screen protectors last for years.

gemniii42
2007-11-28, 12:42
I've operated with PDA's since the first Palm and have never used screen protectors. Scratches rarely built up thru the myriad of devices I have/had.But yesterday I found why I need them. Greasy fingers.

I had always made it a point to keep my hands & fingers clean before touching a screen. Well yesterday, to my dismay, I handed my 810 to a friend and he proceeded to "grease it".

So thanks to this thread I pulled out a sheet of OH transparency film, trimmed it (not accurately) so it was just a little to large to fit inside the bezel, slipped it in and voila instant protection.

To note:
Stylii and thumb response seem about the same, before it would take me a couple of taps or so to get the "thumb board" up in notes. It still does. Which is great because I've been a thumb typer since my HP 95 days.

luca
2007-11-28, 15:27
By contrast, the Vikuiti protector on the N800 is practically unscratched

Though my vikuiti is unscratched, I can clearly see a difference where the stylus has been used most of the time (on the right scroll bar and on the virtual keyboard), and that's after less than 2 months of use.
Cleaning it energically will remove the spots for a while, but they're back in no time.
Maybe because of the piss-poor performance of the touch screen (especially when you're trying to right click a link in microb) I'm going too hard on it.