PDA

View Full Version : Gmail unusable in OS2008 beta for N800

amigokin
2007-11-27, 22:01
Hey guys, I've just upgraded to the new beta OS and let me tell you that the Gmail experience with MicroB is unbearable. I read here that is slow, but for me is unusable: when I try to click to Sent Items nothing happens and at gmail the D-pad doesn't work to jump from link to link.

It is a fresh OS update without any backup restored. Just me or you having the same issue?

Thanks!

convulted
2007-11-27, 22:06
Hmmm I went to my inbox and read a mail message to test this out, but everything worked very well. I'm running the latest OS2008 beta on an N800, with a backup restored from the "leaked" OS2008 that was previously available.

omegaone37
2007-11-27, 22:22
I don't use the web to read my Gmail... I let the built-in email program fetch them for me and read them there.

Works with 2007OS and the new 2008OS

.... go figure.

Omega

technut
2007-11-27, 22:31
The Gmail page is kinda slow loading, but it always has been for me, even in Opera. My Sent mail works fine. I see what you mean about the D-pad though... you can't use it to select links, only for scrolling.

You might like it better if you go to the bottom of the webpage and select "basic HTML". It looks very similar, but the D-pad works.

HiVoltage
2007-11-27, 22:40
I experienced occasional crashes on Gmail too.. didn't do it on the "leaked" firmware. Seems like we got worse, not better with this release.

Also, the thumb board problem remains. In gmail, while writing message text, if you bring up the thumb board and write something, then minimize the thumb board, you'll notice that what you've written has been inserted twice in the message text!

Karel Jansens
2007-11-27, 22:58
If Gmail doesn't work anymore, it's bye-bye time for my "Internet" tablet.

prk60091
2007-11-28, 03:39
try gmail in basic html mode rather than standard mode

tfinnan
2007-11-28, 04:14
If anyone has missed it, the HTML tab is at the bottom of the screen when viewing the standard GMail page. Once you switch to the HTML view, you can bookmark the page and it will go to that view each time you click the bookmark. I know that most people know this already, but it might help someone...

daverod
2007-11-28, 06:00
If anyone has missed it, the HTML tab is at the bottom of the screen when viewing the standard GMail page. Once you switch to the HTML view, you can bookmark the page and it will go to that view each time you click the bookmark. I know that most people know this already, but it might help someone...

actually, I didn't. thanks!

TA-t3
2007-11-28, 12:02
I prefer to use gmail in standard mode when possible. I switch to html mode when I'm desperate (which happens when standard mode becomes unusable due to bad internet connection). Opera/OS2007 works fine for this. If it doesn't with MicroB in OS2008 then that's a major concern for me. (It's a bit strange to hear this, because if I'm not mistaken there was a recent post claiming the opposite: That gmail worked faster and better in OS2008). Well, it's a beta.

convulted
2007-11-28, 12:09
To reiterate: No problems here! Even speed-wise, I find it very acceptable.

pauljohn32
2007-11-28, 13:17
Hey guys, I've just upgraded to the new beta OS and let me tell you that the Gmail experience with MicroB is unbearable. I read here that is slow, but for me is unusable: when I try to click to Sent Items nothing happens and at gmail the D-pad doesn't work to jump from link to link.

i have same experience w gmail on n800 using the leaked OS2008 firmare. Gmail will load inbox eventually, but that's it. Tryinng to view messages hangs browser with CPU usage between 80 and 100

pj

convulted
2007-11-28, 13:25
I had a good experience with both the leaked and beta versions of OS2008 on N800.

Matyas
2007-11-28, 13:32
Also here, an other positive report for Gmail and GDocs (used daily and for many hours a day)... They work a bit faster and I find MicroB's integrated dictionary very useful. :)

Maybe you have the infamous 'restore backup problem' or something else could have gone wrong with the browser cache (just guessing) or settings... Have you tried flashing and working without restoring your backup?

anidel
2007-11-28, 13:56
I have the latest Gmail (google switched it for me two-three weeks ago) and I use it regularly (because the built-in mail client doesn't work well with Gmail's IMAP) even on very slow connections (GPRS) and I find it's speed acceptable. Let's say usable.
Also in the "Sent" folder, no difference in speed.

I didn't try the HTML version, I'll probably check that, but I am not sure it's faster (as it loads all the page every time , does it?)

YoDude
2007-11-28, 14:05
Also here, an other positive report for Gmail and GDocs (used daily and for many hours a day)... They work a bit faster and I find MicroB's integrated dictionary very useful. :)

Maybe you have the infamous 'restore backup problem' or something else could have gone wrong with the browser cache (just guessing) or settings... Have you tried flashing and working without restoring your backup?

What he^ said....

Gmail works very well for me with N800/beta. I restored from N800/leaked and all cookies work fine.
However, as I recall a restore from 2007 to N800/leaked presented some of these issues that were not resolved until I did a clean install.

BTW after testing it every which way on N800/beta I had also set the on board email client to my Gmail account... I just looked down to see my N800's LED flashing and a mail icon in the open apps side bar.
clicking on this brought me to the on board client....
So BONUS with n800 now!

anidel
2007-11-28, 14:10
BTW after testing it every which way on N800/beta I had also set the on board email client to my Gmail account... I just looked down to see my N800's LED flashing and a mail icon in the open apps side bar.
clicking on this brought me to the on board client....
So BONUS with n800 now!

You've configured the POP3 access or the IMAP one ?

YoDude
2007-11-28, 17:46
You've configured the POP3 access or the IMAP one ?

Account type = POP3