PDA

View Full Version : Anyone test latest Maemo Mapper?

adammazza
2007-11-29, 20:02
Just wondering if anyone else has tested this yet? I just downloaded and installed. It seems to see the GPS receiver if you detect it as bluetooth. I'm not outside yet so haven't had a change to test.

Adam

gnuite
2007-11-29, 20:05
I've tested it. Works for me. :)

Seriously, though, which platform/hardware are you using? OS2008? N800 or N810? External bluetooth GPS receiver? I'm still trying to gauge how well the new version is working out in the wild....

adammazza
2007-11-29, 20:10
Sorry, I thought the 810 was implied since I posted in this forum ;). When I had to select the GPS device, I tried the path to the device in the local device tree, no luck, a scan found it, I'm guessing it picked it up over my own bluetooth connection, basically connecting back.

gnuite
2007-11-29, 21:27
Interesting. You're saying that you used the "Scan..." button in the Maemo Mapper Settings dialog and it detected the N810's internal GPS receiver? Or it detected a separate bluetooth GPS receiver?

Tuxedosteve
2007-11-29, 21:31
Using scan doesn't detect the internal gps on mine.

deeteroderdas
2007-11-29, 21:37
I've tested it. Works for me. :)

Seriously, though, which platform/hardware are you using? OS2008? N800 or N810? External bluetooth GPS receiver? I'm still trying to gauge how well the new version is working out in the wild....

Gnuite,

This latest version is the tops.

Last week, when I still had 2007 and MM2.1 (never got to 2.1.1), I would get MM lockups literally a dozen times during my 7-ish mile commute to work. I could get it working again by disabling and re-enabling the GPS, but it would lock up again, sometimes within seconds. Totally unusable.

After I flashed to 2008, MM 2.1.1 came out, but you had a note saying it wouldn't work with 2008, so I waited.

This morning, I installed MM 2.2 and not a single lockup on the drive to work! Very nice. BTW, I deleted all of my maps, POIs, tracks, and routes from my SD card before I installed 2.2, so it's a totally clean install.

Mitch

tvengineer
2007-11-30, 07:29
I loaded maemomapper on my new 810 yesterday....

I works...

I had to use the GPSd.... setting to get it to work with the
internal GPS...

/dev/dgps does not appear to be there...

Nokia does not leave the gpsd deamon running when the gps is
not in use...
I don't know why they chosse to do that.... gpsD supports powering
down the GPS device when not in use..

so to get it to work you need to have either the control panel
gps LOCATION widget running... or the stock map program....

One last note.. and it may not be a bug...
but when I close maemo mapper.. it does NOT unload from memmory.
The process is still loaded...
I have to KILL the process or reboot the 810 to get it to go away...
If not.. .I cant load the program a second time.

Louis
:)

you may be able to put a small bit of code in the startup file
to start gpsD... I dont know if that would then turn on the
gps reciever.. but it would be worth a try

MikeL
2007-11-30, 08:33
Tested for first time on my trusty old Nokia 770 this morning and it worked very very well. Previously tested a number of memo mapper versions on 0S 2007 and latest on OS 2008 with my N800 where with the recent addition of rotating maps where we have full control of them in addition to (Auto rotate) is excellent.

Do take time to get to grips with ALL the features of Maemo Mapper as its well worth it!

I had heard it said that the rotating maps might not work well on the Nokia 770 due to the hardware constraints, I agree the rotation is very slightly slower, but not by very much at all and certainly not to the detriment of real application use. Very very usable on the Nokia 770.

One application that everyone should have on their Internet Tablets whatever flavour and version of OS (OS 2006, 2007 & 2008) Maemo mapper works as advertised. Its a perfect application in my humble opinion, for Nokia 770 & N800 users, get yourselves a bluetooth GPS for Christmas and install Maemo Mapper if you have not already done so :)

the toy collector
2007-11-30, 09:45
I haven't gotten it to work with the internal gps. but a bluetooth scan picked up and is using my motorola v3m. I couldn't get that to work with the 770.

the toy collector
2007-12-01, 00:23
Correction, it is working with the internal.

MM v 2.2
N810
os2008
version 1.2007.42.18

To get it to work,
I had it set to /dev/pgps (couldn't find gps device)
so I tried to hook up with the v3m
checked bluetooth, scan....
on motorola (find me)
N810 set motorola phone (It pulled the mac add)
Maemo mapper works!
I backspaced the mac address and it still works (even with phone off) STILL SET TO BLUETOOTH

on the 810 the sat icon comes on and off when MM starts/stops
Sometimes MM won't start after closing without a reboot

Works great! Thanks gnuite!

ElGatoFlojo
2007-12-01, 01:12
I'm having the same results. Mapper loads just fine, but looking for the internal GPS on a 810 is another story. I loaded up the internal map program, waited until I saw the GPS icon then started maemo mapper and sure enough, it found the GPS device. But thats not going to work in the real world.

I'll experiment a little more and see if I can get the loopback bluetooth thing to work. My guess is you'll have to insert some code to get the internal GPS started up.

Thanks again for the latest version, personally I still love it loads better than the one that comes with the 810

Although, when I've been unable to connect to the GPX web page I think I've cursed your name a few times ;-)

the toy collector
2007-12-01, 01:51
Its not using the bluetooth, I think getting it to scan for a device had it load the module-service. and it autodetected it.

It is loading and unloading the GPS icon with MM

I would rather be lucky than good.

ElGatoFlojo
2007-12-01, 02:40
Your right, scanning for bluetooth and picking my phone, that has NO GPS what-so-ever works. Thats the weirdest thing ever. Mine works now too. Go figure....

gnuite
2007-12-02, 01:56
One last note.. and it may not be a bug...
but when I close maemo mapper.. it does NOT unload from memmory.
The process is still loaded...
I have to KILL the process or reboot the 810 to get it to go away...
If not.. .I cant load the program a second time.
How long did you wait before checking if Maemo Mapper was still running? Maemo Mapper waits until the GPS thread to exit before quitting, and sometimes that can take up to 30 seconds. If it takes longer than 30 seconds, then it's a bug.

frethop
2007-12-02, 02:47
I've tested maemo mapper on an N810, starting gpsd before I start MM. According to another thread, I used a program from Navicore:

/usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper

Then told MM to use gpsd. It worked like a charm!

-- Mike

CivitasDei
2007-12-02, 19:57
i have it installed and ran the app once... since then MM won't boot up on my n810, even with a reboot. i even tried seveal re-installs.

davige
2008-03-01, 17:39
Am I the only one who thinks MM SUCKS! I'm very software savvy but I haven't been able to do anything with MM on my N810 with either internal or external GPS (iBlue 737). I can't download maps for future use, plan and view a route, locate to a specific address, NADA! Downloading area maps directly ALWAYS fails. I can't figure out how to direct MM to view maps downloaded to a 4GB external card that I've downloaded via winmapper in my PC. Constant crashes. I just want to be able to download area maps at home to use on my travels without an internet connection. I like Wayfinder but I think it is a ripoff compared to dedicated GPS device and I'd love to make MM work for me but I'm incredibly frustrated. Everyone else seems to think that it's the best. Are there any tutorials out there. How about MM for Dummies? HELP!

shhardyme
2008-03-01, 19:40
1. To load maps in different location, you have to select manage repositories, select map type, ie Google Streets, etc. then select browse in DB cache and select location to save.

2. Make sure your wifi isn't stopping because of power saving. I turned mine completely off.

3. I use same BT gps. Make sure BT is turned on , visible, and your GPS is identified as a BT device.

sgosnell
2008-03-01, 19:57
I've had no problems doing any of the above, over several versions. 'Very software savvy' might be just a slight overstatement... ;)