PDA

View Full Version : The perfect Nokia 770 Dream

thoughtfix
2006-02-02, 05:08
I wrote up a big essay on how a Google/Nokia partnership could take the 770 tablet and replace PDAs, portable GPS devices, and basically revolutionize mobile computing as we know it.

I hope you all enjoy it:
http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/02/google-life-or-why-google-should-be.html

=DC=
2006-02-02, 15:13
It's funny how similar your ideas are to my ideas. I wrote an article in December "A Google Life" (http://www.writely.com/View.aspx?docid=agwkjzm76rf9) before I even knew about the 770. What's ironic is that if I were to write that article today, it would look amazingly similar to yours. Excellent article, by the way. :D

thoughtfix
2006-02-02, 16:17
I'm not the only person who has had such musings. Subscribe to the Engadget podcast sometime - those guys have similiar minds to mine. However - a Nokia/Google partnership can take take both companies from "successful but odd" to "The company to beat."

Nokia isn't in bed with Microsoft or Palm to supply an OS for it's devices. They're the perfect match for Google. It's Not Evil.

Hedgecore
2006-02-02, 16:24
I haven't read it (I'm in reporting hell right now and everything's blowing up) but I have two things:

1.) Microsoft's plans to have Windows basically run via a network
2.) RemoteUser's X server exercises.

I lied.

3.) Google's MASSIVE network/distributed computing infrastructre.

thoughtfix
2006-02-02, 18:23
Right - The device itself will have only cached data and shell applications. The POWER apps will reside server-side.

In the example of the iPod replacement: A person can have a 20G music library online and a 2G card in their device to get them through the work day at the office or that road trip. When back in WiFi range, they can swap out songs/playlists.

With an online music catalog, who needs DRM?

Remote User
2006-02-02, 22:42
1.) Microsoft's plans to have Windows basically run via a network
2.) RemoteUser's X server exercises.
3.) Google's MASSIVE network/distributed computing infrastructre.I already commented at ThoughtFix's blog about his narrative and I thought I'd let those who are interested know that I finally ordered a 770 today. ThoughtFix's views do have an excellent overlap with my own in several regards (icons containing scripts that command remote processes & services) and I think within a day or two after my 770 arrives I'll have interesting news for all. I've been keeping my crew very busy laying groundwork for our first customer. Stay tuned. You'll all be the first to know.

=DC=
2006-02-02, 23:07
Oh, how exciting! What a great time to be at the forefront of a mobile revolutition. I look forward to see what awesome things come from some of the great minds here at itT as well as the other Nokia 770 sites/forums. I plan on experimenting with various AJAX and Web 2.0 techniques to enhance the Internet Tablet experience as it pertains to network interfaces.

Best of luck to us all.