PDA

View Full Version : gcc & jvm

VAHighlander
2007-11-30, 05:07
i'd like to be able to write, compile, and run c/c++ code as well as maybe java on my n810. Does anyone know where i can look?

I know some people were able to get jamVM working on OS2007, but I haven't been able to find anything for OS2008.

TIA

sfitz
2007-11-30, 15:23
You can expect that to be coming soon... That is as soon as those of us with these special discounts can use them.

Most of the software porting folks, and enthusiasts that tend to take the first stab at these types of things have been sent to the back of the line and so great early adopters like yourself have gotten the new devices, while the "community" that typically support the early adopter user base don't have access to the device to test and verify that our ports and recompiles work.

So don't expect anything until sometime in the new year, since it will be after Dec 19 before we can get these devices and then the holidays will be upon us, traveling, etc..

But Java and the JamVM will be the first things on my list.... as soon as I (assuming I) can get an N810.

-sfitz

VAHighlander
2007-11-30, 16:27
OK, well that's not such a hot way for Nokia to impress people is it?

aki
2007-12-18, 23:20
Just a quick note. I was wondering about this as well and was having very little luck cross compiling gcc. However, I came across the following post:

HOWTO: C/C++ compiling on the unit itself. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6737&highlight=gcc)

And have managed to get it working on the n810. This doesn't have any note about java, however.

The main changes are to load the files from

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/chinook/free/

Rather than ../pool/maemo2.2/...

I have managed to compile a simple hello.c. Probably try something a bit more complicated later on.

sfitz
2007-12-19, 15:14
Great work Aki!!

-Shawn

aki
2007-12-19, 22:28
I can now confirm that it's working.

I compiled perl (with a bit of babysitting and ran make test with 2 errors. Also, expat, wget and gzip compiled and ran fine. Still used scratchbox to compile perl just because I didn't quite trust the onboard-gcc and now, have DBI, DBD::SQLite, etc installed via CPAN without any problems.

A There were some utilities that required installing like gnu coreutils that I didn't have when I started but they were easy enough to get on there.

Haven't tried any gtk apps but it'll probably just be a case of finding the headers before I do the compile.