PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 810 GPS??

nightwing310
2007-12-01, 04:37
This has a built in GPS meaning that you can input addresses and it will route it for you, or is it just the maps and tells you where you are and you cant input addresses and wont tell u where things are?

mrlanrat
2007-12-01, 06:40
It can tell where you are. just like any GPS you could get at a store. It will tell you directions. Your first response was correct.

nightwing310
2007-12-01, 17:08
Is this service is free or is it something you have to purchase from waypoint?

I was just wondering because when I had the nokia 770 i had a bluetooth receiver and had to be online everytime to find directions some where

promethh
2007-12-01, 17:14
On the N810 sold in the US, Nokia Maps includes "USA West" and "USA East". Downloading additional maps appears to be free for now, but looks like it may require a trial licence or personal license for additional maps and routing in December.

I'm looking forward to seeing what routing capability Nokia releases this month for OS2008. MaemoMapper 2.2 works now, and it's free, but it requires that you stay connected so that it can download maps as you drive. I keep it paired with my Treo 650 using a GPRS/EDGE connection. Having MaemoMapper automatically downloading Google Hybrid maps at "Zoom Level 4" is fairly fast and easy as I travel.

MikeL
2007-12-01, 18:47
With Maemo Mapper on my N800, I have got used to downloading the maps for my route prior to leaving a handy Wi-Fi connection, then there is no need to have maps auto-downloading all the time.

The great thing about Maemo Mapper is you don't need to store maps on the device all the time for everywhere either. I really like the download maps as I require them features i.e. along a route (Deleting and re-downloading maps when required saves space on my memory cards if you are short on space)

What could be better than being somewhere unexpected for the weekend say for example the holiday island of Minorca, Spain. Downloading the maps of interest whilst being in your hotel, then zipping of to find that little beach in the hire car on those little unmarked roads and dirt tracks :)