PDA

View Full Version : At wits end trying to use phone as modem

ean007
2006-02-02, 22:02
I thought I was tech savvy. I thought having Nokia Phone would make it easier, how wrong was I.

Nokia 770
+
Nokia 6630
+
O2 in the UK
=
No internet so far

I have paired the phone over bluetooth, no problem

I have moved files backward and forward between phone no problem

I have browsed the web on the phone no problem

I cannot make the 770 use the phone as a modem. All I ever get it is

"Internet connection failed. Try again?"

I have used the mobile operator setup wizard to get the intial settings. I have placed numerous strings in the "supplementary AT command" that I have found around on the internet. So far no joy.

Does anybody have any good ideas? I am clean out.

Viking
2006-02-03, 03:11
I have a 6620 on Cingular in the US and I usually have to try and connect three or four times before I get a connection. With my palm PDA I can get on everytime, but I use several additional commands in the dialing sequence.

One thing that does seem to make a difference is to first use File Manager to browse my phone, then switch to the Connection Manager to try (and try) to connect.

Not sure I was any help, but good luck
Viking

RogerS
2006-02-03, 05:01
You may be experiencing the same problem I had when I tried for two days to connect, with the same pre-connection details -- pairing OK, browse from the phone OK, no connection.

My "problem" however was really just the obscure way Nokia requires you set this up the first time.

I wrote it up fully in the IT Users blog as "The Nokia 770 with a Bluetooth Phone," which you can find at www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=181 (http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=181)

The short answer is "Check page 26 of the users guide."

To save your clicking the above link, here are the pertinent paragraphs:

When a 770 user wants to get onto the internet, the connection manager shows all the possible connections. It scans for and lists the nearby wireless networks, but a phone, even a paired phone, won’t show up there until it’s been added manually.

And the 770 user won’t find a way to do that in the Connection Manager, or the Select Connections dialog, or the Connectivity control panel. I looked in those places repeatedly over the weekend, as well as every nook and cranny in the beautiful Nokia 6682 I was carrying. Nothing, nowhere.

Instead, as shown [in a screen capture in the blog post], the correct procedure is to open the Control panel window, go to the Control panel menu, and choose Mobile operator setup wizard from the Tools menu. It’s easy to follow, and seconds after completing it, I was surfing using the phone to connect to the web.

Hope this is all that's keeping you from getting on the web.

ean007
2006-02-03, 09:08
I have been using the Mobile operator setup wizard, I saw your post and thought hey presto, here is the solution - nope, not for me anyway

Gourmet
2006-02-03, 09:46
For ean007
Even if you can surf on the Internet from your phone and your bluetooth connection is ok you CANNOT access the Internet using your digital modem if you didn't subscribe the option with your operator.
Of course, this one is able to distinguish between a flow coming from the phone and a flow coming from a external device through the modem: that's the phone that makes the difference. If you were able to modify the firmware in order to make the phone not to distinguish between these 2 types of flow you would'nt have to subscribe an new option. But, since the price (by volume in general) is the same for both flows it would be unuseful to work this way.

Conclusion: call for you phone operator and ask him to enable the option (sometimes called "pocket data").
You've got the chance of having a phone that works in bluetooth (the 6630).
On my side, I have a 6230i - EDGE compliant phone - for which the Bluetooth doesn't work well (it's a welle known problem !).
Imagine, I have both Nokia equipments, the 6230i and the 770, and it's not possible for me to access the Internet whereas it's working perfectly well with a Siemens S65 !
But the S65 is not EDGE compliant so surfing is slow (~20 kbit/s).
db

Gourmet
2006-02-03, 09:52
I'd have to add something.
If you want to access the Internet from INSIDE your phone you have to configure it for that (APN, IP address, DNS servers addresses, user id and password if any).
If you want to access the Internet from OUTSIDE your phone you don't have to configure your phone for that but to enable GPRS, of course. All the configuration has to be on your 770 : APN's name, IP addresses, DNS servers addresses, user id and password if any. The whole configuration is then passed on to the phone through a string.

db

ean007
2006-02-03, 14:32
Below are the values I am using. They came from o2. They also said all services are set-up on my phone needed to use it as a modem. Can anybody see any errors?

dial: *99#
apn: mobile.o2.co.uk
usersame: web
passwd: web

AT: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","mobile.o2.co.uk"
dns1: 193.113.200.200 192.113.200.201
proxy: 193.113.200.195
port: 8080

ziggamon
2006-02-03, 23:40
I have the exact same problems with a Motorola E1000... still no success...

Just thought I'd share, so you don't feel alone ;-)

joolsca
2006-02-04, 23:57
Are you sure that your internet (not wap) "packet data" account is the FIRST one in your internet settings on the phone?

...and also, did you try it without the extra sting input setting?

ean007
2006-02-06, 19:27
Got to the bottom of it! Thanks to the help of forum member Gourmet.

It was all down to o2. They have the 'Mobile web' activated - but not the data/fax. I have had numerous phone calls with o2 technical help and told them what I am trying to achieve and not one of them thought data/fax activation was necessary. So I took my wifes Nokia 6021 and made sure Mobile web and data/fax were activated, immediatly I got onto the net through the phone. Tomorrow I shall activate the Nokia 6630 for data/fax and report back

Gourmet
2006-02-06, 22:18
Got to the bottom of it! Thanks to the help of forum member Gourmet.

You're welcome !

db

zoglesby
2006-02-08, 02:18
Can anyone tell me were the config file for bluetooth networking is? I need to try to force the system to accept s=2 for the number. Thanks

Gourmet
2006-02-08, 09:14
Can anyone tell me were the config file for bluetooth networking is? I need to try to force the system to accept s=2 for the number. Thanks
With bluez there is only a config fil for hci and sdp as well as a file that contains the pin code.
Each individual service may have then its own config file. It's the case of RFCOMM.
By default rfcomm.conf is in /etc/bluetooth but you can put it wherever you want.

db