PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] The itT Canola2 Beta discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2

Reggie
2007-12-11, 18:54
Discuss Canola2 beta experiences, problems, and suggestions here.

phi
2007-12-11, 19:55
I wonder if this is only an OS2008 release?

evanjfraser
2007-12-11, 20:07
I think it's supposed to run on 770's so probably not.

Alvin
2007-12-11, 20:17
probably at night in Brazil
still more than 24 hours to wait...
will still probably check throughout the day on Wednesday...

Sloan
2007-12-11, 20:25
Can't wait - I grabbed an 8gig SDHC card just to use with this program. Thanks in advance to the Canola team - it really looks great from the previews!

vegasvento
2007-12-11, 20:51
likewise, i have a kingston 8gb sdhc card still in the packaging waiting to be loaded with goddies for canola!:)

pycage
2007-12-11, 21:54
I still remember the first Canola release last year. That was a long night... :D

handful
2007-12-11, 22:26
Hi everyone, That's nice. This will be then the official place for the critics, bugs suggestions as we know there will be a lot of them. Please don't forget it's really a beta =) and we will improve it very fast but there will be of course some rough edges that only users are able to help us find.

Another thing :
It's was tested with :
Nokia 770 (with Gregale or OS2006) It seems that Etrunko is fighting to know what's happening on hackers edition
Nokia N800 (With Bora and Chinook)
Nokia N810 with Chinook

So we really believe that those will be the supported devices, although it's possible that we will focus support on Bora and Chinook first. But as Gregale seems to be working quite nicely no problems should be specific for that version.

@pycage. Don't even tell me we were already sleepless on the office since the day before and I only left the office 10hours after the launch at 00:15 if I'm not mistaken. This time we plan to make it earlier at 10pm brazilian time (Recife time zone)

Another tips, that I was going to write in the blog: Of course the maemo device can load big images, but as you have seen in canola sometimes to improve navigation we load 3 big pictures so take care while using 6mega pixel photos =) canola will for sure sweat. But please do test with those big ones. We want to see how it will react in out of memory cases.

2) The thumbnail generation can take a little time on the first time you enter the photogallery so don't be afraid if takes a little while.

3) Some menus can take a slightly (very subtle) time on the first usage.. then it's quite fast. (maybe it's gone in the last build)

Main menu : The main menu will look quite "empty" in this first beta as some of the features are not ready (like more video features, more picture applications and so on) so please excuse us for this ugly situation in the beginning. I know some people will say
"Why not put everything in a grid in the main menu?" but it's because we are actually prepared to have more and more icons that only a simple grid would not hold. So today will be 4 (5 if you install Media share support) but fast it can be 10.. and the home screen can hold 10 items and more 8 in each submenu, in the end the second level is just to avoid list menu for the second level.

so think that this is a empty menu =) when it's full will make more sense when it's full =)

Developer support is almost there, and once we release it, fix the important bugs we will write the whole documentation, open one big plugin and give everything that is need for plugin development.

We will try to keep a open roadmap so users knows what plugins we want to develop to avoid cross work (but of course our plugin can be limited by something so feel free to do anything, if you want)

Also I posted that, it would be quite good if you could shot a video of the first usage, and send to us via youtube or blip.tv (can be private of course) I have users in both applications ( shoreserenity in youtube and handul - marceloeduardo on blip.tv )

So =) in a couple of hours we close the build, do a lot of testing, finish the website and do whatever is possible to keep the 10pm deadline.

Just one possible bad news: theres a serious issue that can hold us from releasing it today. I'm not talking explicit about it because I really believe it's not going to happen, but if so you know that is not about being done or not done.. but something that is bigger than us. (but don't worry, we are very optimistic about that)

See you later, and thanks in advance just for testing it!

Remember: if you have canola1 you must uninstall and reboot first. It sucks but then it's gone this reboot thing (it was about time).

yabbas
2007-12-12, 01:57
Can't wait :D :D :D

kingka
2007-12-12, 05:01
ERR.. what time is it in brasil? :(

Beginnerone
2007-12-12, 05:25
According to this site (Worldtimezone.com) (http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=1249) It is about 2:25 AM right now in Recife, Brazil. Does this mean Canola is being delayed or I just got the dates wrong? The beta site still says 1 day left.

mooler
2007-12-12, 05:48
From what i read on the Marcelo's blog...it will be released sometime at night in Brazil. It's still early morning there.

http://www.marceloeduardo.com/blog/design/user-interface-design/crazy-days-you-know-why

Beginnerone
2007-12-12, 05:58
Ahh, I just looked at the post date of that blog post. That makes more sense. I guess I did have the release date off. Thanks! Can't wait for the new Canola, it looks great.

mooler
2007-12-12, 06:12
It does look great. Cant wait myself.

dothang
2007-12-12, 09:24
i cant wait for canola2,today is dec 12,but how can i install it?

anidel
2007-12-12, 09:50
The Beta2 website says: today 10pm "Brazilian time".
:/

That means tomorrow (after midnight) for me in Italy...
And means tomorrow for a whole lot of other people.

Oh well :)

peterjb31
2007-12-12, 11:01
Do we know which time zone in Brazil as when I did a search it seems to vary by about 3 hours across the country.

maxilogan
2007-12-12, 11:04
The Beta2 website says: today 10pm "Brazilian time".
:/

That means tomorrow (after midnight) for me in Italy...
And means tomorrow for a whole lot of other people.

I usually go to sleep somewhere around midnight, so if I would be sure that the guys are on time, I would wait another hour... but maybe since I also usually wake up at 6 in the morning (yeah, I cannot sleep that much in this phase... although I have nothing to do!) I will just check tomorrow morning!

Can't wait to test a 4GB sd that just arrived on my desk and that I'll fullfill with MP3s and images (still waiting for the 8GB from ebay grrrr :mad: )

linuxrebel
2007-12-12, 11:34
Looking at the screenshots and video's to me the question is. How much of Hildon will this be able to render "moot". With Canola providing the gui it really does change things IMHO. But maybe I'm wrong about that too.

PussInBoot
2007-12-12, 11:40
I love color style of Canola2, well done!

handful
2007-12-12, 11:50
Hi, well here in finland is now almost 15:00 and in Brazil 10:00am =)
5 hours less than finnish time. I think 4 to barcelona, 3 to lisbon.

BR =)

Marcelo

handful
2007-12-12, 11:53
@ LinuxRebel
Looking at the screenshots and video's to me the question is. How much of Hildon will this be able to render "moot". With Canola providing the gui it really does change things IMHO. But maybe I'm wrong about that too.

Hi Linux, Sorry I didn't understand you question. what do you mean by "render moot" ? =)

Marcelo

MikeL
2007-12-12, 12:34
Looking at the screenshots and video's to me the question is. How much of Hildon will this be able to render "moot". With Canola providing the GUI it really does change things IMHO.This is a key point to me, Canola2 in addition to looking a "sexy media player" provides an alternative GUI framework from which we will be able to launch many home grown applications.

Hopefully because some elements of Canola2 are closed source, where others are open, Canola2 could just become the "conduit" framework enabling NIT Open-source development individuals to "just not really care anymore" about what Nokia decide to keep open and closed on the NIT's.

I believe Canola2 will be a real asset to keeping the closed and open source teams happy.

---edit--- Marcelo, Render moot = not required for general day to day use of NIT [My understanding, yours & others may vary :) ]

torx
2007-12-12, 14:04
Almost out almost out!!

zeez
2007-12-12, 14:08
Man, we're at 3 pages and it's not even out yet! ;) This is going to be a long night ;)

e-motion
2007-12-12, 14:13
Can't wait to get this, as it was the main reason I bought my 810 in the 1st place. However we might have to wait a bit longer, the beta site has been saying "1 day left" for 48 hours now...

It's currently lunch time in Sao Paulo, and still got "1 day left" on there, I don't think it's going to be for today. :(

handful
2007-12-12, 14:23
Hei e-motion : It's already updated the site (since 00:00am) Brazil to show "10pm brazilian time". So, it's 5 (actually) hours difference from finland for example (that is now 16:22 here while in brazil is 11:22)

torx
2007-12-12, 14:52
According to the clock app on my tablet, it'll be 9 hours more to go!

krbvroc1
2007-12-12, 16:35
First, Canola2 release time appears to be GMT-3. Here is a link to the time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=209

I've never used Canola before and am new to the N800.

One thing I would like to do is listen to my collection of ripped MP3 that are located on my music server. Its a large collection, but I want to listen to it locally in my house. Browsing the collection via CIFS takes a long long time and UPnP also seems to take a long time. (My server is running Mythtv). Does Canola2 'cache' the song list so it doesnt need to query things so slowy? What other options are there for this? So far I've been disappointed with my N800 since I cant really find anything that just works or that isnt a huge learning curve or hangs/takes too long. I've got a short time before I either make it work or return it.

MikeL
2007-12-12, 16:56
krbvroc1, did you try Twonkyvision as your UPnP Media Server. (30 day trial)

I found that Twonky (Win, MAC, Linux) and TVersity (Win only, currently free) enabled the Media Streamer application in OS2006/2007 to interact and operate quickly seamlessly with a large Media collection. I liked the way Media Streamer allowed a playlist to be selected from the UPnP server, manipulated and "additionally added too" on the fly on the NIT.

I especially liked the Album Art support in Media Streamer and Canola1 with the Twonky UPnP Media Server.

I will be testing the new UPnP capabilities of Canola2 in my environment to see how well it performs with UPnP in comparison to Canola1 I am hopeful that some of the ideas proposed from previous activities have already or are making there way into Canola2 as feature improvements.

wazd
2007-12-12, 17:10
badgerbadgerbadgerbadger =))) Cant hold myself in my arms ^^

e-motion
2007-12-12, 17:15
I stand corrected. So if they release it at 10 pm local time I'll check back tonight (I'm in USA MST).

I hope I don't run into installation problems, I'm a total newbie with both the IT and Linux...

wazd
2007-12-12, 17:28
Aw! I got how to easily trace brazillian time!) Clock applet and «guest» time xD

Reggie
2007-12-12, 17:41
Just google 'recife brazil time (http://www.google.com/search?q=recife+brazil+time)' to see what's the local time in Recife. :D

handful
2007-12-12, 18:05
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to disapoint in that matter but we are not as confident as the first version in the UPNP side. So, we did test with some major servers, but it's was not developed by us (it's actually open source in garage) and we cannot guarantee that it will be as good as we wanted. What we want is to really hear from you what problems are you having, because if they are serious we will for sure take over and create a new open alternative for the upnp.

BR

krbvroc1
2007-12-12, 18:42
krbvroc1, did you try Twonkyvision as your UPnP Media Server. (30 day trial)

No, I havent tried that yet. I'm currently downloading several free open source projects like uShare and MediaTomb, but maybe I'll try Twonkyvision. I'm running 2008 beta, so maybe my options are limited from what I read on here about the media server application. Some of the recent posts/blogs trying to 'lower expectations' on Canola2 in various areas concerns me a bit too.

RipTorn
2007-12-12, 18:59
No, I havent tried that yet. I'm currently downloading several free open source projects like uShare and MediaTomb, but maybe I'll try Twonkyvision. I'm running 2008 beta, so maybe my options are limited from what I read on here about the media server application. Some of the recent posts/blogs trying to 'lower expectations' on Canola2 in various areas concerns me a bit too.

I found Ushare works fine with the first Canola, but the problem with Ushare is it doesn't support transcoding, I never tried twonkyvision because it's not opensource and I hate the idea of paying money to transcode videos on the fly that I already own and can convert manually with tablet-encode, mediatomb looks pretty good but transcoding is only available currently in the SVN and I could never get it to work correctly.

What I would love to see is something light ended like ushare, with the ability to feed it video files from tablet-encode :p and this would make Canola2 the perfect media player for me in my house. :)

handful
2007-12-12, 20:59
Guys,

I'm deeply sorry to disappoint you but, we are not able to release it Today. We received the bad news that we need one final "OK" to subjects beyond UI and CODE, actually beyond INDT. I'm personally really sad to be the one to tell this news, as everybody knows I'm (like the whole team involved) very excited and we really want this on the street being teste so we can follow our roadmaps.

Please, don't take this wrongly. We have been working non stop for the past 7 weeks, just to be able to make this deadline and now that everything is ready, packages are read to be added to the repositories, dependencies are already there... we got this little issue.

So please, don't wait for it today. I will not put here that it will be tomorrow cause then it can change, then it's a double fault. But it will not take long. We just a need a "OK", and we upload the canola package to the rep, move the final site to folder and bam! we're ready to go.

So really in behalf of the Team and also INDT we are REALLY sorry for this mistake but was an "outside" variable, that unfortunately we could not control. Lesson learned. Next version there will be no specific date on the website. We tried to do something funny with the fact that we had a pretty small deadline (the counter) and this has turned itself against us.

The only good side of this is that we will not "wait" we will do more testing, specially on the 770 devices, and make sure the installation is clean for everyone, if no reboot (if you don't have Canola1 installed)

I am preparing a "oficial" note to the website. And again, We are deeply sorry for that.

BR

Marcelo on behalf of the team and INDT.

zeez
2007-12-12, 21:04
Don't worry about it. It's your choice - also i feel it would be good if there was a little more explanation for the delay...

Bundyo
2007-12-12, 21:09
Sounds like some kind of license issue... Take your time, we will wait as much as needed. :)

@RipTorn: UPNP servers that i tried and know for sure to support transcoding:

Windows:
Orb
TVersity
FUPPES

Linux:
FUPPES

MythTV i think also has transcoding, but never tried it.

For accessing video on the road i found out that mediaserv + tablet-encode are best for server and Nokia's VideoCenter + Mplayer external player are best for Maemo side, working good even on OS2007HE.

In FUPPES and TVersity you can configure the exact resolution of the video you're producing. The special Orb for N800 directly outputs 400x240

handful
2007-12-12, 21:31
Hi guys,

Exactly, license issue. And this was way beyond our expectations. So much that we had the date, we had the website with the date, and I can assure you we very sad to only know this now. I wish I knew it 2 weeks ago, I would never ever have made that counter on the website. Sorry for that. It's like a cold water bucket on some heads, but really we are also waiting. fingers in the button.

Marcelo

climbersaurus
2007-12-12, 21:37
Something this good is worth the wait :)

MikeL
2007-12-12, 21:41
We received the bad news that we need one final "OK" to subjects beyond UI and CODE, actually beyond INDT. I'm personally really sad to be the one to tell this news, as everybody knows I'm (like the whole team involved) very excited and we really want this on the streetHandful, I feel your teams pain and I have only being checking the wording in english of the new website today that you have prepared for the arrival of official beta release software. :(

I know due to the chat discussions we have had more recently, that the team have all been working very hard to get the release out "on time" for all three OS versions on each currently available Nokia Tablet.

Take a deep breath, make sure the team take a break and get a well earned sleep and come back revitalised when the go ahead is given to release Canola2 beta :)

fpp
2007-12-12, 22:10
Don't worry handful, a lot of us in IT here know the story and the feeling... just this week I've had this problem at the stupid place I work in. A big project management had been badgering us about for - literally - months. Three weeks ago we'd said we were finally ready and wanted to do it this week while everyone concerned (admins, support etc.) was still on board before the Christmas vacation started... And waited and waited for the PR department to send out the word. After badgering them daily we finally got a verbal get-go on Tuesday, and notified all 60.000 users that the nationwide rollout would start that night to be completed on Friday... only to have the plug pulled on us on Wednesday morning for political reasons. And of course now everyone suspects it's because we were having technical problems :-)

So, yes, some of us know how it feels to do the work and not be able to show it off at the last minute... don't fret, waiting is part of the game :-)

framerate
2007-12-12, 22:12
We've all been there, man. I'll admit I was watching the clock today all excited but it's not the end of the world. Canola is a great piece of software and quite a demanding project to undertake. We appreciate all the work you've put in (and your team) and look forward to it's immediate release :)

Best,

jazzbass12
2007-12-12, 23:09
I appreciate the honesty and no SPIN..Eagerly waititng.
Thanks for the update..

e-motion
2007-12-12, 23:33
It sucks for all parties involved however you look at it. Sorry to hear about the licensing issues.

Speaking of license, it's kind of worrisome IMO, these are usually not resolved too quick... Any idea what kind of timeframe we're looking at ?

handful
2007-12-12, 23:45
Hi,

Don't worry it was actually being locked for a long time. IT was just supposed to be ok before 12th. But I really think maximum friday (that is my bet)

BR

Marcelo

krbvroc1
2007-12-12, 23:49
Pure speculation - are they waiting for OS2008 final to release first? That would be a double surprise.

YoDude
2007-12-12, 23:53
Pure speculation - are they waiting for OS2008 final to release first? That would be a double surprise.

And perhaps that's the final OK...

YoDude
2007-12-12, 23:54

And perhaps that's the final OK...

:)

wazd
2007-12-13, 00:49
Take as much time as U need, guys! U're still the greatest! xD As for me, it's kinda good news, cause I'll have 5 am, at midnight in Brazil %)

mwiktowy
2007-12-13, 02:07
Hi guys,

Exactly, license issue. And this was way beyond our expectations. So much that we had the date, we had the website with the date, and I can assure you we very sad to only know this now. I wish I knew it 2 weeks ago, I would never ever have made that counter on the website. Sorry for that. It's like a cold water bucket on some heads, but really we are also waiting. fingers in the button.

Marcelo

Marcelo: I think everyone has patience after an honest answer as to why there is a delay. It is marketing spin and silence that frustrates. Thank you for your straightforward answer and collective hard work and I am sure you will have lots of beta testers when it is ready (both technically and legally).

/Mike

Greyghost
2007-12-13, 03:50
Marcelo, thanks for your post. As another poster said, I feel your pain. O I've been there! But to echo the sentiments of another writer, 'something this good is worth the wait' and, you know what, I will;)

Good luck!

PLeBlanc
2007-12-13, 04:30
I'm with everyone else, don't sweat it Marcelo. We soooooo want this, but being able to wait is so much easier knowing that you guys know that too, and that you are as much or more psyched than we are to get this out.

You have done such a great job with letting us know what to hope for, and letting us know what your expectations are. And then going beyond the call of duty and letting us know that there are delays. Many folks would just disappear until the release. By being up front (and fretting with us), you have made the whole wait sooooooo much more palatable.

Like others have said, take your time, get your sleep. It'll be awesome today or tomorrow or the day after. Thanks in advance, for you and the whole team. This is a huge milestone for the ITT, and I am just happy to be able to follow it (and even happier to enjoy it when you guys are done!).

mrp
2007-12-13, 06:41
I think all husbands, boyfriends, wives and girlfriends are happy if your release is postponed to weekend ;)

handful
2007-12-13, 13:34
Mrp : I hope canola could be that "catchy" =)
Thanks for the words guys, all the team really got happy to read it. After all we were also got by the little bad surprise =)

BR and hope to be able to bring the good news quite soon =)

loaderr
2007-12-13, 14:20
I think all husbands, boyfriends, wives and girlfriends are happy if your release is postponed to weekend ;)

hahahaha my wife sure is happy, I was planning on spending the night playing with canola :P already got tons of mp3s and videos ready just play with it. Marcelo keep up the good work and dont worry about delays we all will be here waiting anyways :)

iontruo2
2007-12-13, 15:30

HA HA HA! Your so right . :D Gosh, I'm in the 'dog house' just now, because I was so 'focussed', that I forgot the dog outside this morning for a while...at -17C. Oooops.

:o

linuxrebel
2007-12-14, 18:25
Any word? Or, has Canola hit an ogg in the road?

TheGogmagog
2007-12-14, 18:36
Os2008 is releasing Dec 21 (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13066&page=2). Speculation is that Canola 2 will be available then also.

Personally I'll wait for OS2008 before setting up a new program. My 2008beta reflash (from 2008beta) recovery still required me to reinstall half my programs.

fpp
2007-12-14, 19:07
Mara's latest message in that thread seems to hint at sometime in between : not this weekend, but before next Friday...

linuxrebel
2007-12-14, 21:43
Hmmm so if I'm understanding correctly, Nokia is forcing Canola (InDT) to delay their release. If so does this mean that all projects/software going onto the IT need "clearance" from Nokia? Something doesn't add up and there is some info missing as to what is what.

I understand that for those who come from the WinWorld or the MacWorld this doesn't seem unusual but from an OSS perspective something doesn't feel right at all. I'm just looking for info right now.

fpp
2007-12-14, 21:54
Not ALL projects certainly - but this one is special.

InDT is not spelled InDT but INdT - this is important because the capital "N" stands for Nokia : Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia. See what I mean ? :-)

handful
2007-12-15, 06:15
Hi Guys,

Actually is not because of Nokia. It's because of INdT itself. And even with the name on the company, we are a separated company, actually a non-profit organization aiming to do development and research. It's an institute founded by Nokia because of a specific IT Law in Brazil, that allows Nokia to invest in R&D. We do several activities/subjects, lots of university partneships/trainings etc. The "Open source" team is not the biggest one in INdT, we have lot's of Mechanical Researchers (researching and developing machines and tests for devices) We have lot's of researches on the Network and Antennas areas, also VAS for telecom, Logistics and etc.

The opensource team, "OpenBossa" as you can see in some of the emails, was born with the idea of promoting opensource in latin america (specially brazil to be more accurate) and I know some people will talk about canola not being open source, but must of the other projects are. (Actually only 3 projects from several are closed source, and from those 3 only Canola is public, others are just concepts / experiments )

so in a sense, We do have Nokia in the name, and thus we shall avoid any complication. We do believe that Canola is a nice application and as other small projects around we can be hit by lawsuits, and we actually don't want to be hit by that and make the eyes come over us. If you also remember our license on Canola1 was simple and had problems on it. So that's what we are fixing. Just making sure everything is clear (our devs took a really good care on this, so now we are just double checking to make sure theres nothing wrong with our code, we are not violating nobody's licenses and so on.

Then comes the problem =) we are not a big company like Nokia, so... For us takes more times / money to do stuff. And Brazil doesn't have that much culture with OSS lawyers.

Well, in the end it was that. If we are not releasing the source for everything (even with the fact that I already said, most of the components are in the OSS communities, so are the patches and improvements) we really need to make sure of everything is ok. As pointed before : legal issues, and as we are not experienced with that we didn't had everything set on time. This was our learned lesson of the year =)

Ps : last year's learned lesson was: Plan twice the application installation process =)

handful
2007-12-15, 06:38
While I don't think it's related, I've put one video to show off how's the tearing status in the new Canola :

http://marceloeduardo.blip.tv/file/541526/

It's high quality, so you can really see the details. I think where you can it at it's best in in the final 15 secons when I open the Settings panel.

Ps: the settings panel were supposed to take the whole screen, etc. But we actually don't because it's just a drag to draw the whole screen in horizontal way. But I think most of the users will not feel that bad about it, and for the left handed users, as in first Canola, you can really rely on your thumbs that are a little bit easier to control (at least this is what I received from some left handed users) =)

http://marceloeduardo.blip.tv/file/541526/

I'm uploading a more complete one, but it's crashing the site. check my profile in an hour to see if'ts there =)

fpp
2007-12-15, 11:12
I stand corrected... thanks for the clarification Marcelo !

nspeer
2007-12-15, 16:55
Just watched the latest video you posted showing off Canola on an 800. I wonder if it will run as smoothly on my 770 with its lower processing speed?
Neil

e-motion
2007-12-15, 17:13
Well, that video makes me even more impatient to get my hands on Canola. It really looks awesome.

As for being able to get the application soon, maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but my experience has always taught me that legal issues take a while to get resolved. I think I'll consider all of us waiting for Canola real lucky if we even get to install it this year.

cypherbios
2007-12-15, 21:39
Just watched the latest video you posted showing off Canola on an 800. I wonder if it will run as smoothly on my 770 with its lower processing speed?
Neil

Eduardo Lima (http://etrunko.blogspot.com/) posted a video of Canola2 runing on a N770.

http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2007/11/canola-20-running-on-nokia-770.html

While its touch screen is not as sensitive as the N8?0's (so they say, I don't own an IT), it seems to run good enough.

handful
2007-12-16, 20:52
Yes, indeed it runs is most of cases even better, because there's no tearing. I know it sounds weird, but we are not using full cpu in most of the times, so battery life will be great with Canola2. The thing is, there's indeed some cpu heavy operations that will take a little bit more time on 770 like scaling pictures, rotating, loading creating thumbnails and in the future (the video thumbnails etc)

So, while in this beta some of the hardware keys are not ready ( I talked about that in my previous post in my blog) the 770 screen is really not a helpful thing for the kinetic things, but the hardware shortcuts will help this device.

So, I updated the video with a bigger one, showing some parts that we didn't showed before :

http://blip.tv/file/542322/

Enjoy. (sorry for missing some buttons, while doing the video I was looking to the camera canvas, not to the device)

BR

mobiledivide
2007-12-16, 21:14
Looks great, can't wait to load this up. I leave for a trip on wednesday evening I'm hoping I can have Canola by then.

e-motion
2007-12-16, 21:52
Handful, any update on the legal issues ? Any idea what kind of timeframe we're looking at ?

The more videos I see, the more I want it, maybe I should just stop checking this thread. :)

handful
2007-12-16, 23:50
Hey guys,

I actually need to clarify that this is not the Lawyers fault. It's that as we are not experienced we calculated badly the time frame for them. As far I as can tell, they already in the last portion of the check, so I really really believe is this next week. Because then it's Christmas, then new years, and most of the team will travel at least a couple of days to meet their families.

So, I'm really anxious to be able to release it before the end of the next week.

Marcelo

ps: So I will not post any more videos =)

amigokin
2007-12-16, 23:58
ps: So I will not post any more videos =)

NO! Post more and more videos until the launch! :D

handful
2007-12-17, 00:05
=) I have some experiments for my "design post" with Canola running... as video, so I will post them. Also I did some experiments with poping out the card from my camera and loading into the n800 to see how canola deals with a 6mp camera photos.

1) Photos : as expected the first loading took more time (thumbnailer in action)
2) It took a little longer (of course) to load, but they still loaded with pretty alpha blending etc.
3) Slideshow with transition also worked fine.

Of course there's still room for improvements, like zooming and panning. but we will try to solve file formats and speed up it first.

=) Podcast will also need some love, but I already liked how the widgets were implemented. I was worried after we (design) it, that how it was going to work. actually one thing is bothering me : when the file is too big takes a lot of time to the progress bar to show someting. so I think we will add some kind of looping animation there. But this could cost a lot of cpu power for a very little effect.

Well

=)

boblinds
2007-12-20, 06:43
No Canola Christmas cheer yet? <sniff>

UPDATE: Oh, oh. Do I hear jingle bells?!!?

munky261
2007-12-20, 09:54
i got canola 2 all installed and it works and looks GREAT!!!!!!only thing i would request is that when playing music , in the now playing list some make it so i can see all of th song title thats playing , or preferably let me have the whole playlist up there to view

Mahaloha
2007-12-20, 10:00
I just installed canola 2 beta and it looks great :)

zeez
2007-12-20, 10:14
§$%&/( i'm missing some repos ! Could someone who got it installed port their sources.list ?

EDIT: Nevermind...

AWESOME!!!

jazzbass12
2007-12-20, 10:39
how do i get..libbz 2 1-0? it says it is missing...
thanks

mrp
2007-12-20, 10:52
does it work with he2007? i get some libxdamage1 missing

zeez
2007-12-20, 11:03
@jazzbass add the fbreader repo if you're running chinook

epertinez
2007-12-20, 11:21
Very nice!!!

I'm a happy man right now. But, how do you create photos lists and download covers?

Jussi_K
2007-12-20, 11:34
damn... this installation takes time, can't wait to see it...

jazzbass12
2007-12-20, 11:47
zeez....Thanks, Chinook seems to of worked..Just waititng for the cumbersome long download....
Thanks again

TTgowings
2007-12-20, 12:06
Just a thanks to handful and everyone at IDT, the look and feel is outstanding.

As I'm to understand it, this is still the beta and I'd like ask or comment on a few of the features and impressions that I've found while I've had playing with it just for the past few mins.

1-Under Video and also in the setup, I see no place to add Videocasts, (though it seems one can do this in the Podcast and Podcast setup) is this Nokia's or Canola's descision to keep Canola somewhat seperate from VideoCenter, or since this is understandably still the beta, just a feature (menu item) not yet added ?

2.-When downloading Podcasts and or Videocasts, it seems that it errors out quite often/or quickly, is this a case of an "adjustable" time-out issue ? So the app, does not hang unintentionally ?

If so is there or will there be a setting for the user to manually change it ?

anidel
2007-12-20, 12:18
I am the only one experiencing very sloooooow downloads ? even from the Canola repo ?

TTgowings
2007-12-20, 12:23
I am the only one experiencing very sloooooow downloads ? even from the Canola repo ?

Nope, mine was really slow and for a few mins I thought for sure it would error out but then it installed, patience (for which I have none) I guess has been a very useful thing these past few days with the repositories.. :cool:

El Amir
2007-12-20, 12:26

Nope mate, ur not alone :(
its taking AGES !!!
looks like we're *alot* wanting this...:D
even more that the official OS 2008 :eek:

it has just downloaded just downloaded over 1/20 of the 6.38Mb...:(
really cant wait !

anidel
2007-12-20, 12:31
Wow... unbelievable... how many tablets are out there this christmas!
whatever one tries to download gets stuck...

And it's only 10Mb!!! (even less)

jmk
2007-12-20, 12:47
Damn servers must be down or under heavy traffic. Any mirrors?

GreySim
2007-12-20, 12:49
anidel: Look on the bright side; at least you have the opportunity of installing it at all. It's really agonizing to have seen videos of it running on the 770, see that it's been released, and yet find out that while everyone else gets to play with it finally, 770 users are still out of luck. :(

(Not angry or anything. Just sad. Very, very sad.)

anidel
2007-12-20, 12:55
I am installing it also on a 770 with latest HE.
I'll report how it behaves.

ninjatuned
2007-12-20, 13:16
Trying to get it on the N810 ... servers are slammed but I'm just happy it's out!

amigokin
2007-12-20, 13:43
Canola2 is released, why this news is not on the frontpage?!?!?!?!

mrp
2007-12-20, 13:56
where exactly has the announcement been made?

Lupin3d
2007-12-20, 14:03
visit http://repository.maemo.org/extras/

it says "The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause."

LOL :D:D

anidel
2007-12-20, 14:05
Oh finally they're working on it.
It was too weird. But I was not able to download my canola2 :/ shut :)

sjgadsby
2007-12-20, 14:06
where exactly has the announcement been made?

On the Canola2 web site (http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola2/).

MikeL
2007-12-20, 14:06
http://openbossa.indt.org/canola2/ Yes Canola2 beta is out, just installed it on my N800 with the OS 2008 beta :)

Because of current Nokia repository "package update" issues I temporarily switched each repository off in application manager, then downloaded base and Canola2 via the above address and the install options at bottom of this page http://openbossa.indt.org/canola2/install.html

Its slow atm but it works :)

---edit1---

It has been suggested by the Canola team that those familiar with IRC should join Freenode and #canola and then user thoughts can be immediately digested by the team.

For IRC I am using xchat2 (http://www.silverex.org/download/) on my XP PC and found it very easy to get up and running.

A beta of xchat is also available for the N800 and chinook which seems to work well, download here (http://zeus.rm-fr.net/~skyhusker/xchat-chinook-betas/)

---edit2---

If you find any bugs or have enhancement ideas report them here (https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?atid=1989&group_id=125&func=browse)

mrp
2007-12-20, 14:21
for 770 "coming soon". I sure hope they can make it before leaving for Xmas holidays

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 14:51
Can I download the .deb file somewhere else, please ?

GreySim
2007-12-20, 14:56
The opinion on IRC is that:

<marcelo> Arin: yes.. it sucks, but I think the servers will go full ok soon, and everyone will be able to test it

konttori
2007-12-20, 15:08
I've been testing it a bit now and I've got to say that I'm impressed. Really nice stuff. It would be good if the default setup would assume image and music indexing from all locations.

A little bit jerky at times, but wonderful! Kudos INdT!

wjanowski
2007-12-20, 15:08
Oh my God, this application is so beautiful it makes me weep! Nice job, guys!

bthessel
2007-12-20, 15:11
Is anyone else having trouble adding media? I have it watching my music folder but it doesn't seem to be picking anything up?

rcadden
2007-12-20, 15:12
How the hell are you guys actually getting it to install? I'm on a dead-fresh install (no backup restore, just reinstalled the firmware and went straight to canola) and can't get anything other than a "installation file corrupted" on it.

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-20, 15:13
Any of you guys that already have the package, care to share? I believe the Canola servers are being hammered (as is everything else these days). I've been trying to grab the package for over an hour to no avail :(

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 15:14
AArrrgh, the download window just sits there doing nothing, it drives me crazy.....
Dont tell me you guys did not anticipate this tidlewave of download requests.....

GreySim
2007-12-20, 15:16
If I'm not mistaken, Canola is actually in the normal maemo.org repositories, so that's why it's so slow right now. I could be wrong though, but I'm halfway through with the download, and I'm not canceling it to check the repo list. :P

handful
2007-12-20, 15:17
I've been testing it a bit now and I've got to say that I'm impressed. Really nice stuff. It would be good if the default setup would assume image and music indexing from all locations.

A little bit jerky at times, but wonderful! Kudos INdT!

Hi Konttori,

Actually while this works for a lot of users, at least in the bet we are avoiding it because we don't want photos to index maps, or some hidden stuff.. this was REALLY a serious problem in the first version and a lot of people complained, also this made the loading / database time go really high. For me, as interaction designer hurts to do that because I want the best experience for the user. But at the same time... if a bad thing happens people can be really mean (like on canola1)

We actually didn't have time to fully optimize it, but I think we will reduce the jerkyness, also there's some spots on the screen where we placed a special scroll that doesn't work the way it should (duh)

Rcadden : looks that the repositories still down : / or not working properly but they are Maemo's so we cannot "mess" with those servers, but for sure the maemo guys are working to put it back in full order it was like that yesterday.

Abs

Marcelo

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 15:25
Can some one start a torrent for the .deb file ?
Like they did for the new IT2008 os...

rcadden
2007-12-20, 15:27
Can some one start a torrent for the .deb file ?
Like they did for the new IT2008 os...

if I had it, I would.

Reggie
2007-12-20, 15:29
In Settings, I have clicked on the 'view' icon on a folder that has images on my memory card. I saw the refreshing library message. From the main page, I hit Photos->My Photos and it says No Items Found.

Same with videos. I know that the internal Video Clips folder contain the Nokia N810 ad video but Canola can't find it.

Anything I'm missing?

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 15:32
One thing you are not missing, Reggie, is the .deb file.
Can you please upload it somewhere ?

rcadden
2007-12-20, 15:34
Before it was at least attempting to download the file. Now in app manager, it's not even doing that.

mobiledivide
2007-12-20, 15:37
Canola installation failed after about 20 minutes... will try once more and then give up till the servers are fixed.

Reggie
2007-12-20, 15:38
In Settings, I have clicked on the 'view' icon on a folder that has images on my memory card. I saw the refreshing library message. From the main page, I hit Photos->My Photos and it says No Items Found.

Same with videos. I know that the internal Video Clips folder contain the Nokia N810 ad video but Canola can't find it.

Anything I'm missing?

Ok, for some reason, it's fixed! I wonder what happened? :confused: The only difference is now I'm at the office and my wifi connection is now off.

Marcelo, the thumbnail loading is not bad at all. It's not slow at all.

Anyway, first bugs:
1. when watching a video, lower down volume to almost zero, press pause, and the hit play. Volume seems to go back to mid-level.
2. Can't find a way to watch the video in full screen. double tap doesn't work.

Some comments/suggestions:
1. Please add in settings, delay in seconds for the image slideshow.
2. Instead of an 'eye' icon for adding a folder to the library, why not use a '+' and a '-'. I didn't get it at first what the eye icon was.

wjanowski
2007-12-20, 15:46
Reggie: My experience was similar. For some reason, it seems to be doing something in the background after it scans your folders that keeps it from displaying the results for several minutes. For those of you where its not finding your media, let it sit for a few and check it again.

Reggie
2007-12-20, 15:47
wjanowski, thanks. The only thing different now is my wifi connection is off since I'm at work. Maybe there's a connection.

adammelancon
2007-12-20, 15:52
It has been suggested by the Canola team that those familiar with IRC should join Freenode and #canola and then user thoughts can be immediately digested by the team.

For IRC I am using xchat2 (http://www.silverex.org/download/) on my XP PC and found it very easy to get up and running.

A beta of xchat is also available for the N800 and chinook which seems to work well, download here (http://zeus.rm-fr.net/~skyhusker/xchat-chinook-betas/)

Also, if you are using firefox, you can get the Chatzilla add-on which lets you do IRC right in your browser.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

GreySim
2007-12-20, 16:04
If anyone was playing around with the Python EFL bindings and whatnot before trying to install the new Canola, do be aware that there may be package conflicts between 'python-efl-core' and 'python2.5-efl-core', and removing 'python-efl-core' before installing Canola may save you a lot of headache. :P

kingka
2007-12-20, 16:14
I keep getting a connection fail... blah. guess its an issue with the server.... hope it works

dkwatts
2007-12-20, 16:34
How does Canola know which media player to use? is a media player included in the app?

nilchak
2007-12-20, 16:37
I have not installed mplayer on my N810. Is Canoloa dependant on Mplayer to be able to play my video clips, or dies the media player com bundled with it ?

Same question as above poster essentially from me too...

framerate
2007-12-20, 16:47
Anyone got cover art to load yet? I can't figure out what format it's looking for?

rcadden
2007-12-20, 16:51
I'm still astonished you fellas have it installed. Actually, I'm less astonished and more honestly not believing that anyone *really* has this installed. I've been sitting here trying with a device fresh from the OS install and can't get through the 9.32MB download.

nilchak
2007-12-20, 16:55
No sorry, even though I asked a question about Mplayer being bundled or no, I still haven't been able to download Canola, let alone install it. I am using my BT connection they my data plan, and the downloading just sits there a 0 level. No progress.

Can some kind soul please put up their downloaded copy somewhere faster for all of us anxious, parched and pleading-on-our-knees-for-help, kindred souls ?

nilchak
2007-12-20, 16:57
I'm still astonished you fellas have it installed. Actually, I'm less astonished and more honestly not believing that anyone *really* has this installed. I've been sitting here trying with a device fresh from the OS install and can't get through the 9.32MB download.

Hang on there. On the Application manager in the calatogue, Canola2 says 6.something MB install.

Where are you getting the 9.32 install download figure from ?

dkwatts
2007-12-20, 16:59
I've been sitting here trying with a device fresh from the OS install and can't get through the 9.32MB download.

As with eventual python success , app manager/app server seems to respond differently when adding repos vs. refreshing repos.

framerate

Took me a few attempts, just hitting the install button and walking away. Looks like extra repo is having issues, so maybe I just got lucky.

It's pretty nice, though. Worth the wait. With a little polish, api, and more options (and cover art!) this might be the first media player UI to replace the ipod in my heart :)

GreySim
For anyone else trying to install it on a 770 with OS 2007 HE despite the fact that it's unsupported, I warn you now, you're likely wasting your time. After finally getting everything seemingly sorted out, trying to run it from the terminal gives me "Illegal instruction", which is think has something to do with the ARM processor in the 770 vs the one in the N800 (similar to the trick with getting mplayer to work on 2007HE by installing the 770 package and not the 800 one, despite HE being Bora).

boblinds
2007-12-20, 17:01
Rats. I have a 770 with 2007HE. Canola 2 installs (or at least my 770 thinks it does) but when I run it, the program tries to load but won't run. Guess I just have to be patient a little while longer... <still sniffing> :(

;)

phi
2007-12-20, 17:05
i've hit the install button quite a few times and walked away...its stuck trying to download 9.32 MB and always times out.

kingka
2007-12-20, 17:07
times out for me to... someone just upload it please.

BlueSky
2007-12-20, 17:12
Well I have it installed here are some comments:

1) the interface is nice.
2) Once I set which folders I wanted it to index, it still did not index any AAC files, only mp3 audio (which I thought was odd). I did get my videos and pictures indexed and working.
3) Podcast support: There are a couple issues. So far I have only been able to completely download one podcast. Most say "error during download" either instantly or after downloading about 50%. Also, there is no preference with regard to where you want podcasts stored. It seems to default to the external memory card, which is not where I want them...

Other than that, it looks promising...

missaghi
2007-12-20, 17:35
if someone else posts about their great experience with canola2 without also posting a link to an upload or torrent, i'll be a little insulted.

also

does anyone know hoe to reverse engineer a url to the .deb file from this: (n800 chinook)

[install]
repo_name = maemo Extras
repo_deb_3 = deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ bora free non-free
catalogues = maemo-extras
package = canola2

[maemo-extras]
name = maemo Extras
uri = http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
components = free non-free

Ninja-Jake
2007-12-20, 17:38
Is there anyway of telling when it will be possible to download Canola? I think I just got my fourth timeout.

Cheers,
J

RipTorn
2007-12-20, 17:45
its not just one magic deb package, it has a heap of dependencies as well...
and a few packages that make up canola2.

I haven't managed to download it either mainly because of the python dependencies and the rest.

-Rip

P.S

This is what its asking me to install...

apt-get install canola2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
atabake canolad downloadmanager0-server efl-core epsilon0-bin hildon-imf-ecore libbz2-1.0 libdownloadmanager0 libecore0 libecore0-all
libecore0-con libecore0-desktop libecore0-evas libecore0-file libecore0-imf libecore0-imf-evas libecore0-ipc libecore0-job libecore0-txt
libecore0-x libedbus0 libedje0 libeet0 libembryo0 libepeg0 libepsilon0 libetk0 libetk0-engine-all libetk0-engine-evas
libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11 libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11-16 libetk0-engine-evas-x11 libevas0 libevas0-all
libevas0-engine-buffer libevas0-engine-software-generic libevas0-engine-software-x11 libevas0-engine-software-x11-16
libevas0-engines-all libevas0-loader-eet libevas0-loader-jpeg libevas0-loader-png libevas0-loaders-all libevas0-saver-eet
libevas0-saver-jpeg libevas0-saver-png libevas0-savers-all libffi4 libimlib2 liblightmediascanner0 lightmediascanner0-id3lib
lightmediascanner0-jpeg lightmediascanner0-playlists lightmediascanner0-plugins lightmediascanner0-video-dummy python2.5 python2.5-dbus
python2.5-dispatcher python2.5-downloadmanager python2.5-ecore python2.5-edbus python2.5-edje python2.5-efl-core python2.5-efl-utils
python2.5-epsilon python2.5-etk python2.5-evas python2.5-feedparser python2.5-gobject python2.5-lightmediascanner python2.5-pyinotify
python2.5-terra python2.5-xml
Suggested packages:
libbz2-dev bzip2 edje-bin embryo0-bin epeg-bin imlib2-loaders imlib2-demo
Recommended packages:
libe-dbus0-bin libe-dbus-bin epsilon-bin python2.5-dev

GreySim
2007-12-20, 17:47
In all of my dependency madness, I had to reinstall three times in the last four hours before I finally figured everything out, so it is possible to install now. You just have to be patient and possibly retry a lot. It *might* help if you have root access to be installing it directly using apt-get also, but I'm not certain that has any impact on anything (apt-get install canola2), other than giving you more information about what's going on.

anidel
2007-12-20, 17:48
The funny thing is that today I was able to download and install Canola on a 770 with the HE !! (and it does not even starts up :( )
At the very same time I was trying to install it on the N800, but failed (it removed Canola from a former list of applications and I am not able to even refresh that).

So I DO have a Canola2 here.. but can't try it!!! SO SAD!!!
Ok.. I'll go cry in private :P

GreySim
2007-12-20, 17:52
anidel: Do you ever muck around with root access or the terminal at all? Trying to run it from the terminal or remove and reinstall it from the terminal might tell you more about what's wrong with it on the N800. It *sounds* like you may have gotten the Canola package successfully installed, but one of the dependencies was misconfigured or somehow not installed afterward. If you don't mess around with those things, I can hop on IM after breakfast and try to provide support if you'd like (I notice you have AIM on your profile).

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 17:54
First impressions: nice interface although not without some nits here and there but over all - very favourable impression. Podcast interface is welcome.

First deficiencies observed:

- Paste a URL in Podcast input dialog, press on CR; doesn't "accept" the first time. Go back into URL, press on CR, this time accepted. Repeatable.

- Zoom keys could be better used while sound is playing regardless of what is in the Canola2 foreground; it would be nice not to have to be in the "now playing" UI to be able to use those keys

Wishlist - I've got simple needs:

- a folder-based navigation option in addition to the others

- a way to add items to a play list (if there is a method, it isn't intuitive i.e. click and hold on a title or album)

- Ogg support enabled out of the box; users shouldn't have to know about Nokia's shameful lack of support for Ogg; users shouldn't have to wonder why their Ogg Vorbis files do not show up in a media scan, nor should they have to search through forums and such to find Ogg support. Think about it: there are not that many players that support Ogg out of the box (digital media players overall, I am not talking only about those on the IT) - this is a selling feature. IRiver, Cowon do; for this reason those players appeal to a certain segment of the market. Why Nokia doesn't get this I can not understand but that doesn't prevent you folks from being so dense!

By the way; I have T.K.'s Ogg support installed; have restarted the device; rescanned my media library.

I don't see any of my Ogg formatted files showing up, and since I can't navigate by folder, I can't even be sure that there are problems merely with navigation; with recognition; or with rendition.

It would appear that Canola2 does NOT have Ogg support at present, or there is a bug which needs addressing. Lack of Ogg support the primary reason why I un-installed Canola1.

Overall:

++ I like the interface on balance; podcasting support is nice.
- but wish there was a folder-oriented browsing mode; ID3 tags on tracks are not accurate enough for some purposes, but my folder structure is.
-- Lack of Ogg support / or bug notwithstanding, makes it rather unusable for a collection of music that includes over 1,000 ogg format files.

Edit: While I hope that Canola2 will gain Ogg support and the navigation/playlist capabilities mentioned, for that would make it an exceptionally useful piece of software, at this point I don't see much potential in using it.

At this point of the Ogg-capable digital media software available, none of them hit the nail on the head squarely, but MediaBox (via mplayer) and mpd/mmpc are at least usable.

mpd/mmpc impose a very low overhead on the device itself and deals with very large playlists and multiple well enough; also provides a folder-based navigation option so its my go-to application for audio listening, still.

GreySim
2007-12-20, 17:57
For the people asking about cover art, there's a third party script that can grab it, supposedly. Given that I only have an unsupported 770 I can't actually verify that it works or tell anyone how to use it if there's no readme, though. I'm just passing along information from elsewhere.

http://staff.get-e.org/?p=users/chenca/canola-tuning.git;a=summary

anidel
2007-12-20, 17:58
anidel: Do you ever muck around with root access or the terminal at all? Trying to run it from the terminal or remove and reinstall it from the terminal might tell you more about what's wrong with it on the N800. It *sounds* like you may have gotten the Canola package successfully installed, but one of the dependencies was misconfigured or somehow not installed afterward. If you don't mess around with those things, I can hop on IM after breakfast and try to provide support if you'd like (I notice you have AIM on your profile).

If only I had the possibility of download and install an xterm now :)
I thought about it too, but it was a fresh flash of the latest HE so no xterm on it.
Need to wait. :(

I am almost sure is a d-bus service problem and it'll probably run from the command line.
We'll see

anidel
2007-12-20, 18:02
I've just noticed that if I leave the app manager running trying to update the list of applications, the screen will dim and when the app manager fails, it won't lit on, but does flash !
The whole screen flashes slightly.

anidel
2007-12-20, 18:03

I think that canola successfully installed all of its packages.
But I think that the startup process is different in chinook than on bora.
Thus when I click on the Canalo2 item menu it does fail to start canola up.

But I need an xterm to test it.

zeez
2007-12-20, 18:04
PLEASE READ THIS
Since i've seen a few people now reporting bugs in this thread, please don't.
You can't expect the devs to go through all these pages to find them.
There is a bugtracker : https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?func=browse&group_id=125&atid=1989

Please use it, that way you actually have a chance of getting the found bugs fixed in the next release!

RipTorn
2007-12-20, 18:07
I personally found it quicker to disable every repository but Extra and Maemo
and then refresh that... then install a few dependencies at a time, im about half way though so far ... frustrating, but im trying to get it done as soon as possible :p its almost 4am in Australia... good thing its holidays.

-Rip

l2s
2007-12-20, 18:13
This is the best app I've seen on my n800 :)

The way I can listen music, view photos - easiness of browsing and changing albums, getting to the picture - awesome :)

I am impressed.

I have two questions:
Does anybody know if I can get to the canola's mplayer options ??
I am thinking about something like etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file
I want to change the way that my videos are displayed - I don't like it stretched :/

Second thing - Can I zoom in pictures ?? I can't find shortcut to get into 100% of zoom. Any Ideas ??

Thank You Canola team. Great job

GreySim
2007-12-20, 18:16
From what I remember seeing in the videos, just tapping the pic should enter full screen mode with controls, and tapping again should toggle the controls. Possibly wrong though.

barbieri
2007-12-20, 18:17
- Ogg support enabled out of the box; users shouldn't have to know about Nokia's shameful lack of support for Ogg; users shouldn't have to wonder why their Ogg Vorbis files do not show up in a media scan, nor should they have to search through forums and such to find Ogg support. Think about it: there are not that many players that support Ogg out of the box (digital media players overall, I am not talking only about those on the IT) - this is a selling feature. IRiver, Cowon do; for this reason those players appeal to a certain segment of the market. Why Nokia doesn't get this I can not understand but that doesn't prevent you folks from being so dense!

By the way; I have T.K.'s Ogg support installed; have restarted the device; rescanned my media library.

I don't see any of my Ogg formatted files showing up, and since I can't navigate by folder, I can't even be sure that there are problems merely with navigation; with recognition; or with rendition.

It would appear that Canola2 does NOT have Ogg support at present, or there is a bug which needs addressing. Lack of Ogg support the primary reason why I un-installed Canola1.

Hi, I wrote lightmediascanner (http://lms.garage.maemo.org/) and the ogg support is there, but is not provided by Canola since thuomas ogg-support is not in repository.maemo.org/extras yet. He said that he'll upload his packages, then we can compile lms "ogg" plugin. If you wish to have it working sooner than this, then just download lms source and ogg/vorbis libraries and compile, it will generate "src/plugins/ogg/ogg.so", just copy it to your device at /usr/lib/lightmediascanner/plugins/

So, it's more a distribution problem than lack of support :-)

PS: we use mplayer or osso-media-server to play files, so you must have one of these working with OGG to have it to play. If you wish to use mplayer, then you need to specify using atabake's config file, just join #canola and ask ;-)

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 18:26
barbieri - that's fine news. A distribution problem is one I can deal with on my own, and gives hope that this will be sorted out in time. If not for the Nokia/Maemo repository problems at this point I'd already have put mplayer back on; I think I'll go that route for now.

dburr10085
2007-12-20, 18:30
Any mirrors??

GreySim
2007-12-20, 18:42
From the IRC channel concerning OGG support:

add http://tuomas.kulve.fi/debian bora maemo and install my deb:
http://kenneth.christiansen.googlepages.com/ogg-support-lms_0.3_armel.deb
this should give you OGG support

Also with a request for testing, BTW, so if someone can confirm that it does or doesn't work, that'd be super-nifty, I'm sure.

bthessel
2007-12-20, 18:44
Does this support WMA files? Just realized the media I have is in that format. I can convert to mp3 if need be, just wondering.

Mahaloha
2007-12-20, 18:54
How do you get the album covers and video images to display?

dkwatts
2007-12-20, 19:01
EXACT Catalog details for n800 0S2008

Catalogue name: maemo
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/
Distribution:
Components: free non-free

Catalogue name: maemo Extras
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Distribution:
Components: free non-free

handful
2007-12-20, 19:14
Hi guys, Lot's of message.

First of all (I know you probably pissed of with excuses) but this time it's not our fault.

please understand why we cannot place the canola2 on one big debian. We have too much dependencies on Maemo-extras that it would need to maintain more than 60 packages and this could actually break other applications. So actually we tried to solve the first version problem and this server problem is giving people headaches.

So let me try to answer some question.

@player, mediaplayers etc :
Canola support both mediaplayers. It comes with no player installed so we support the default media player. But bare in mind this media player can have some weird issues with Canola. We are already aware of this

@Coverart
We cannot add this. Sorry, we are quite small, but we are a company and we don't want to be sued at this stage, so we removed it : / we are trying to figure out how to legally do it but it's hard so I believe some scripts will be made by others. That will be our salvation.

@Scanner :
This is always the most sensitive topic for devs. We were afraid of eating cpu, locking at 100% and so on. So we decided to really go opensource on this one, improve it to have separated actegories etc.
So please we will improve it. but first :
- we didn't set up manually because we wanted to see what's the optimal way of doing it.
- We will place a button " force re-scan " button to help those that don't see the media.

B ut: it seems to take a little while to appear, but it does show. So please be patience with that one.

@Coverart : we cannot supply it, but there are scripts made by thirdparty. We do have our solutions (sliding cover) but don't know if we can release.

@OGG : the scanne is indeed supporting (so make sure you have the ogg support installed) but we do need to improve, so please we will improve it, if it's not working we will fix it. I promise , read that this is the only one I write that : We will support as best as possible (or as the ogg support )

@ other formats : the lms is open source, so if you need AAC wait a little bit we just cannot do everything, but we will do the most needed one.

@HArdware keys : are really missing love, and we already know,.. so please bare in mind that will be there (volume is always on the + and - ) hardware keys can scroll and play pause etc. I have posted about it.

@more and more : please bare in mind that this is a beta =) so I'm listening to everything you guys said to fix most of it, but wwe cannot do everything, and of course we will do what is the best.

@Folder based: this is in the todo. We actually have the small folder icons, etc for it. So don't worry I think we will be able to do it sooner or late.

@Add items, playlist creation : we have crazy ideas for that, have been talking to gustavo and the infrastructure is there. So we can do it and will, just need time =)

Please keep the problems coming.

Thanks everyone... I'm on vacations but I will make sure to answers everyone message.

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 19:53
Oke, if you cant help us, post the e-mail adres of the sorry person that can.
I have a ranting e-mail for him.
YES I AM PRETTY FRUSTRATED !

BlueSky
2007-12-20, 19:56
Oke, if you cant help us, post the e-mail adres of the sorry person that can.
I have a ranting e-mail for him.
YES I AM PRETTY FRUSTRATED !

Wow! That is pretty hostile of you. :D

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 20:01
Its unfortunate that your release came at the very time when Nokia repos are so unusable - bad luck on your part, for which I am sure no (sane) person would blame you.

Good news on mplayer, ogg and such. Perhaps if you have time you could post here or somewhere a how-to on configuring C2 to use mplayer.

Cheers

GreySim
2007-12-20, 20:06
Dopehead.NL: Perhaps you'd like a refund? ;)

GreySim
2007-12-20, 20:08
Configuring it to use mplayer:

In /home/user/.atabake/config

[Fallback]
audio = mplayer
video = mplayer
general = mplayer

dburr10085
2007-12-20, 20:18
:confused:So did I remove canola from my 770HE for nothing. Is it true that this wont work on that OS:confused:

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 20:18
I know what your trying to say GraySim, Canola is free, I realise that.
My time and bandwidth however are not.
Again, I have the choice not to download Canola or use the Maemo repo's, i know.
But that would render my N800 useless, for me that is.
Will you refund me my n800 ?

(are they running IIS perhaps ? in that case I understand and feel sorry for them.)

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 20:26
GreySim: thanks for the config file info; mplayer I confirm is now being used.

barbieri: Unfortunately I'm getting a failure dialog: "Unable to install ogg-support-lightmediascanner".

Any thoughts?

GreySim
2007-12-20, 20:32
Dopehead.NL: Sorry, I don't know what to say except have a little patience? Maemo.org clearly wasn't configured for the amount of traffic that it's getting, but maybe the events of the OS2008 release and now the Canola release will send Nokia a signal that they need to upgrade their servers or their available bandwidth or something. I wouldn't be surprised if the server becomes more reliable after the initial buzz of the Canola release cools down a bit. Try again in a few hours maybe? I couldn't get it at ALL this morning when I first heard about the release, but after an hour or so, things improved a bit, and when I had to reinstall for a mistake I made, it went faster still the next time. It'll probably jump up and down for a while, but it'll settle down eventually I bet. If nothing else, maybe Nokia will give us new servers for maemo.org for Christmas. :P

GreySim
2007-12-20, 20:40
:confused:So did I remove canola from my 770HE for nothing. Is it true that this wont work on that OS:confused:

I have a 770 with OS 2007 HE, and it would not work for me earlier, or at least one other person. Support should be coming soon though, although I have no idea when. I hope before Christmas, but I have no idea. I hope I just made a mistake though, and that someone else proves me wrong! :)

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 20:42
How can Nokia or Maemo not have forseen this, people were all over the OS2008 and Canola forum for days.
The number of hits these forums have generated the past 2 weeks should have been a nice indicator for what was to happen on release day.
In the meantime I have now 8 consecutive failed installs :(
I say : its a job badly done, I know my boss would not be amused If I treated our users like this.

fpp
2007-12-20, 20:43
If anyone was playing around with the Python EFL bindings and whatnot before trying to install the new Canola, do be aware that there may be package conflicts between 'python-efl-core' and 'python2.5-efl-core', and removing 'python-efl-core' before installing Canola may save you a lot of headache. :P

Thanks (in advance :-) for saving me some head-scratching when I finally get through to the repos, as I do have the demos installed...

GreySim
2007-12-20, 20:44
GreySim: thanks for the config file info; mplayer I confirm is now being used.

barbieri: Unfortunately I'm getting a failure dialog: "Unable to install ogg-support-lightmediascanner".

Any thoughts?

Try this:

add http://tuomas.kulve.fi/debian bora maemo and install my deb:
http://kenneth.christiansen.googlepages.com/ogg-support-lms_0.3_armel.deb
this should give you OGG support

(If that's what you tried earlier, it was updated since then, from 0.1 to 0.2.)

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 21:03
GreySim: - with the updated lms for ogg, no joy still. It appears to install, but rescanning the media fails to pick up any .ogg files.

I shut down C2, rm -rf /home/user/.canola, restarted device even for good measure, and restarted following the lms install.

edit: In case its helpful -- I constructed a playlist, simply a m3u file which each entry is the full path to the media, and while the entries are displayed, "File not found" is returned by Canola2 when attempting to play.

GreySim
2007-12-20, 21:18
GreySim: - with the updated lms for ogg, no joy still. It appears to install, but rescanning the media fails to pick up any .ogg files.

I shut down C2, rm -rf /home/user/.canola, restarted device even for good measure, and restarted following the lms install.

edit: In case its helpful -- I constructed a playlist, simply a m3u file which each entry is the full path to the media, and while the entries are displayed, "File not found" is returned by Canola2 when attempting to play.
I'll keep you posted and update my posts about this if a new version comes out while I'm still awake, but I've no clue beyond that. I don't even have a working copy of C2 yet, since I'm on the 770. :P

If you wanna get the information straight from the source, you could lurk in IRC on irc.freenode.net in #canola. That's what I'm doing, really.

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 21:33
Thanks - will see if I can find some time to lurk; although heading out for a trip early in the am and should probably redirect some IT effort towards packing.

amigokin
2007-12-20, 21:34
I don't know if this was asked before but... What I have to do to tell Canola2 how to read my mp3 covers? They are inside the MP3 file and I have two extra .JPG in each album folder, one with the name of the folder and with the name "Folder.JPG". None seems to work because Canola keeps showing the default musical note cover.

Thanks!

GreySim
2007-12-20, 21:49
I don't know if this was asked before but... What I have to do to tell Canola2 how to read my mp3 covers? They are inside the MP3 file and I have two extra .JPG in each album folder, one with the name of the folder and with the name "Folder.JPG". None seems to work because Canola keeps showing the default musical note cover.

Thanks!

I posted earlier in this thread with a link to a script that handles that, although I'm not sure how it works. I know it pulls the data from online sources and will ignore your existing covers, unfortunately (I keep my covers as cover.jpg in the folders myself), but Canola would need to resize those anyway, so you'd end up having to do some kind of conversion or run some script anyway probably, so it may as well be one that gets new images and resizes them. :)

I would look into how it works and all, but I'm probably about to pass out for a few hours, so good luck! If you get it to work and it's not obvious how, you should share your experience with it. :)

amigokin
2007-12-20, 21:52
I posted earlier in this thread with a link to a script that handles that, although I'm not sure how it works. I know it pulls the data from online sources and will ignore your existing covers, unfortunately (I keep my covers as cover.jpg in the folders myself), but Canola would need to resize those anyway, so you'd end up having to do some kind of conversion or run some script anyway probably, so it may as well be one that gets new images and resizes them. :)

I would look into how it works and all, but I'm probably about to pass out for a few hours, so good luck! If you get it to work and it's not obvious how, you should share your experience with it. :)

But is there ANY way to tell Canola to read my existing locally stored covers?

GreySim
2007-12-20, 22:09
But is there ANY way to tell Canola to read my existing locally stored covers?

I'm not 100% positive, but probably 90% sure that the answer is no. If I remember what I read correctly earlier, that would require resampling the cover, which would degrade performance or something. You could put up a feature request for, say, LMS to build a cover cache with resampled images generated as media gets scanned, instead of on the fly, which might work, but I'm not sure. I really can barely keep my eyes open at this point though, so good luck. :)

amigokin
2007-12-20, 22:15
I'm not 100% positive, but probably 90% sure that the answer is no. If I remember what I read correctly earlier, that would require resampling the cover, which would degrade performance or something. You could put up a feature request for, say, LMS to build a cover cache with resampled images generated as media gets scanned, instead of on the fly, which might work, but I'm not sure. I really can barely keep my eyes open at this point though, so good luck. :)

I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers? Even if this release has a Album view that is useless at this point?

Thanks in advance, I just want to understand how this wonderful piece of software works! :)

barbieri
2007-12-20, 22:25
I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers? Even if this release has a Album view that is useless at this point?

Thanks in advance, I just want to understand how this wonderful piece of software works! :)

As was said before, we cannot distribute something to get the covers from the internet, and as there is no standard for covers in album dirs (some people would say cover.jpg, some cover.png, some album.jpg, some front.jpg, ...) and we are very sensible to size so we do well on such slow hardware, we left this until we have something better to provide.

In mean time, you can use http://staff.get-e.org/?p=users/chenca/canola-tuning.git;a=summary as starting point to hack your own solution until we have something official, actually that was the idea in having this as free software, so you can help yourself until we have something. If you need some pointers, you can install python ID3 lib and use "os.walk()" to get files, ID3 to get album/artist name and then use the example code to load images and generate images with the correct size. If someone does that, then please post it here or at planet.maemo so others can benefit.

amigokin
2007-12-20, 22:29
As was said before, we cannot distribute something to get the covers from the internet, and as there is no standard for covers in album dirs (some people would say cover.jpg, some cover.png, some album.jpg, some front.jpg, ...) and we are very sensible to size so we do well on such slow hardware, we left this until we have something better to provide.

In mean time, you can use http://staff.get-e.org/?p=users/chenca/canola-tuning.git;a=summary as starting point to hack your own solution until we have something official, actually that was the idea in having this as free software, so you can help yourself until we have something. If you need some pointers, you can install python ID3 lib and use "os.walk()" to get files, ID3 to get album/artist name and then use the example code to load images and generate images with the correct size. If someone does that, then please post it here or at planet.maemo so others can benefit.

Wow, that is complicated. I don't understand why is not possible for Canola to read a specific image name with a specific size. I don't mid if you choose one and I have to do the conversion in order to see the album art.

I don't understand why something that simple is that hard to implement...

traveller604
2007-12-20, 22:44
Looks & feels fantastic. Now all I want is those covers for my albums, but I can wait..

THANK YOU :)

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 22:51
I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers?

One person's must have feature is frequently a *yawn* for someone else, or something to be disabled.

I for one could care less about covers... in fact if they occupied too much space or used too much system resource, I'd be disabling such a feature.

Granted, I'm more inclined to use any media player (including a desktop Unix workstation) more like an iPod shuffle than many of you might. Covers just get in the way of "select playlist; random; play all".

Now if there is a useful way to build up a playlist (coming soon, perhaps?) while navigating through covers, then I would be happy to have that graphical assistance at my fingertips for that purpose.

The Canola folks have given a reason as to why they do not provide cover downloads with *their* product, and have also indicated that the field is open to third parties to provide; its not unreasonable for a new *beta* application to come out before third party developers have a chance to release their add-ons.

amigokin
2007-12-20, 22:57
The Canola folks have given a reason as to why they do not provide cover downloads with *their* product, and have also indicated that the field is open to third parties to provide; its not unreasonable for a new *beta* application to come out before third party developers have a chance to release their add-ons.

Don't get me wrong here! I LOVE Canola. I think it is the best multimedia player for the tablet, by far.

What I *really* wanted to know if why Canola can't read my own locally stored cover images (even if they define the size, filename and format), just that.

You have to understand that the player even has a Cover View and every screenshot and video preview shows the music screens with covers. So the album art is a very part of the software.

Go, Canola, go!

ebe51
2007-12-20, 22:58
1st post....

I would love to complain or praise Canola2.....but after hours of trying I still haven't been able to download it. So is there some trick you all know about that you aren't telling me?

wetcoast
2007-12-20, 23:08
Patience.

Perhaps wait until its the middle of the night over north america...

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-20, 23:09
1st post....

I would love to complain or praise Canola2.....but after hours of trying I still haven't been able to download it. So is there some trick you all know about that you aren't telling me?

If there is some trick, please share with me too. I've tried off and on all day to no avail - install fails every single time. I've even tried apt-get from Xterm and it still fails. What are you guys doing that we're not :confused:

Moonshine
2007-12-20, 23:09
Wow, that is complicated. I don't understand why is not possible for Canola to read a specific image name with a specific size. I don't mid if you choose one and I have to do the conversion in order to see the album art.

I don't understand why something that simple is that hard to implement...

So it won't look for a cover art image file within an album directory? Or coverart embedded in the file? :confused: Woah... That seems so simple for such a slick piece of software.

I can't imagine it's performance related as photos are resized very quickly (and cached?) within the same app.

I guess I'm lost here, as I saw coverart in the demo video. So is the answer that:

a) the *only* way to have cover art right now is by taking a look at the python script from the GIT repo

or

b) for cover art to show you must follow the following rules. (file names, embedded, etc)

ebe51
2007-12-20, 23:23
I wonder how many people are downloading it. I really didn't the know N8*0's where that big in the US. All I ever hear about is the stupid Itouch, and I couldn't find the N800 in stores. I had to buy it online. I guess Nokia is doing GOOD if there bringing down severs with updates.

Dopehead.NL
2007-12-20, 23:28
I dont know about that, I get the feeling they are using a single N800 as a download server.
Performance is crap, 10+ failed installs.........
Come on guys, get your act together ! fix this !

Cant you at least release a static binary ? I will mirror it on my site.

wolf08
2007-12-20, 23:33
Is there any chance that someone can provide a tarball (or tar.gz) of the necessary .debs? I can host it for others or turn it into a torrent....

BTW, this is why we need debtorrent!

jhoff80
2007-12-20, 23:34
Honestly I agree, its getting a little ridiculous how the Nokia servers are still overloaded a few days after the update.

Anyway, I also find it annoying that not a single media player on the internet tablets can get it right and view tagged album art, regardless of the size of the picture. Every other media player device can do it, why can't these programs. If its a performance issue, then have the program cache a much smaller version of it on first load or something, but this is ridiculous.

(If I'm misinterpretting what I've read, I apologize, but I can't get the download myself either.)

tps
2007-12-20, 23:46
How can Nokia or Maemo not have forseen this, people were all over the OS2008 and Canola forum for days.
The number of hits these forums have generated the past 2 weeks should have been a nice indicator for what was to happen on release day.
In the meantime I have now 8 consecutive failed installs :(
I say : its a job badly done, I know my boss would not be amused If I treated our users like this.

OK. If it will make any difference to anyone, you can grab the following files:

http://www.buoy.com/~tps/canola2_2.0.0~beta1-maemo.1_all.deb
http://www.buoy.com/~tps/canola2.install
http://www.buoy.com/~tps/canolad_0.1.0-maemo.1_all.deb

krbvroc1
2007-12-20, 23:49
Those files are HTTP 404 at this point.

And what about all the dependencies?

crackhead
2007-12-20, 23:57
Sorry for the cross-post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112390&postcount=17), but...

What is this, 1997? How is it possible that servers could be tanked for so long? I can't imagine that the traffic is that huge...there just aren't that many tablets out there, and even fewer die-hards like us who are eager to update to the latest and greatest.

If I were Nokia, I'd be livid...they're looking like a two-bit hardware vendor. It's as if the repositories are being hosted on some dude's basement linux box over ISDN. The server admins should be fired.

...I'm not just a whiny impatient geek. The server situation has not changed in DAYS. We're not talking hours here. This is some serious amateur level stuff. They better come back and say that every pwn3d Windows box on the planet has been busy DDOSing maemo.org for the last few days. I certainly hope they weren't so clueless as to let their entire server admin staff go on vacation right before a huge release like this.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jhoff80
2007-12-21, 00:09
Finally got the app. It's exactly what I want in a media player except for the tagged album art not showing. I love the graphite theme too.

Edit: Also, does it not play wma files? They don't seem to be showing up in my playlist.

Also would be nice to have a bigger icon as well, to show up properly on the OS2008 launcher.

Moonshine
2007-12-21, 00:21
Also would be nice to have a bigger icon as well, to show up properly on the OS2008 launcher.

I saw the same thing, but then after I installed another app afterward (maemo mapper) the Canola icon was large in the launcher. I have a feeling this is an OS2008 bug as was pointed out to me in another thread. It's already posted in bugzilla.

jhoff80
2007-12-21, 00:26
Also, when I try to add one of my favorite stations (which already exists in the Media Player's favorites, why can't it just read those?) It told me feed not found.

The address for it is
rtsp://helix.nj.com/broadcast/njo/maggot/one.rm

tps
2007-12-21, 00:36
Those files are HTTP 404 at this point.

And what about all the dependencies?

Well, about 800 downloads are done already. (shrug)

As far as the dependencies, if someone wants to get them to me (tps at buoy dot com), I'll upload them. I grabbed what I could off the repositories as it would let me.

Tim

iball
2007-12-21, 00:42
No excuse for such a piss-poor repository. NO excuse.
Folks have known for a LOOOONG time now that the "official" repositories had crap for bandwidth yet the Canola2 developers STILL decided to go and release a major application on it?
That's not just "oops", that's "pretty damn stupid". I don't care if they wrote the best application on the planet, when they fail the common-sense test they fail, period.
They even had a recent hint when folks had to re-host the official OS2008 firmware for the N800. That was MUCH larger than Canola2 and yet only took me 10 minutes to download from somewhere OTHER than the official Nokia website hosting it.

Yup, I'm pretty much going to ignore Canola2 until the developers figure out how the internet works and get it hosted on a REAL repository with some bandwidth.
It's almost 2008, there is not one single excuse for not having the bandwidth nor the stable servers to host Canola2.
Maybe if this were 1998 I MIGHT understand, but no more. A single server on a T1 doesn't cut it at all.

barbieri
2007-12-21, 00:46
So it won't look for a cover art image file within an album directory? Or coverart embedded in the file? :confused: Woah... That seems so simple for such a slick piece of software.

I can't imagine it's performance related as photos are resized very quickly (and cached?) within the same app.

I guess I'm lost here, as I saw coverart in the demo video. So is the answer that:

a) the *only* way to have cover art right now is by taking a look at the python script from the GIT repo

or

b) for cover art to show you must follow the following rules. (file names, embedded, etc)

No embedded cover art or loaders for "cover.jpg" in folders yet. Guys, we're trying to get the foundations working well, these things can be handled elsewhere, like a conversion script. You can expect something new related to this by January, when we'll release a bugfix version, until then you have to help yourself :-(

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 00:51
Well, about 800 downloads are done already. (shrug)

Tim

How can it be that others can reach it and I cant? Very odd... None of your links work for me.

Not Found
The requested URL /~tps/canola2.install was not found on this server.

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 00:53
You can expect something new related to this by January, when we'll release a bugfix version, until then you have to help yourself :-(

Maybe some of us will have been able to download it by then! Nokia should be disgraced...

jhoff80
2007-12-21, 00:57
Is it correct that WMA support isn't in this program?

barbieri
2007-12-21, 00:59
No excuse for such a piss-poor repository. NO excuse.
Folks have known for a LOOOONG time now that the "official" repositories had crap for bandwidth yet the Canola2 developers STILL decided to go and release a major application on it?
That's not just "oops", that's "pretty damn stupid". I don't care if they wrote the best application on the planet, when they fail the common-sense test they fail, period.
They even had a recent hint when folks had to re-host the official OS2008 firmware for the N800. That was MUCH larger than Canola2 and yet only took me 10 minutes to download from somewhere OTHER than the official Nokia website hosting it.

Yup, I'm pretty much going to ignore Canola2 until the developers figure out how the internet works and get it hosted on a REAL repository with some bandwidth.
It's almost 2008, there is not one single excuse for not having the bandwidth nor the stable servers to host Canola2.
Maybe if this were 1998 I MIGHT understand, but no more. A single server on a T1 doesn't cut it at all.

I added bold around decided because: have you thought about the possibility of having no other option? ;-) Unfortunately that was the case, and we're paying the price (it's a beta, we want feedback about our software, not about repos giving 404 all the time)

rcadden
2007-12-21, 01:04
I like to think that this was something that was unavoidable by the Canola team, but I'm sorry. I don't buy it. It's pretty well known and documented that anything hosted by maemo (firmware updates, repos, etc) get hosed pretty easily. Adding Canola to the mix didn't help anything.

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 01:13
Unfortunately that was the case, and we're paying the price (it's a beta, we want feedback about our software, not about repos giving 404 all the time)

Have you considered simply creating a tar ball with all the .deb files, emailing it to a few people who are willing to host the files and/or put it on bitorrent? Then those of us could move those files into our /var/cache/apt/archives directory and install.

Maybe a tarball for chinook at least. I'm trying to download the files to do this but its impossible even at this moment. The maemo servers never really did recover from any other OS release either, instead the 'solution' was kind members hosting the files elsewhere and/or on a torrent. I know I downloaded mine from a link someone provided here.

ebe51
2007-12-21, 01:14
i'm still having download problems, but i think i have an idea of how to speed things along. can you all please stop trying until i post back that have completed the download at which time you all can start trying again.

El Amir
2007-12-21, 01:21
i'm still having download problems, but i think i have an idea of how to speed things along. can you all please stop trying until i post back that have completed the download at which time you all can start trying again.

you're a funny one :)
we all in the same sh*t....
as they say:
all for one (canola) and one (crap repository) for all :D

tps
2007-12-21, 01:24
How can it be that others can reach it and I cant? Very odd... None of your links work for me.

Dunno:

I moved some more of the files to:

http://www2.buoy.com/~tps/canola2/

Actually, same server, different instance.

Tim

sachin007
2007-12-21, 01:29
Dunno:

Tim

I could download it. But how do you install it??

tps
2007-12-21, 01:29
Dunno:

I'm in the repository. If someone else will tell me what other packages are needed, I'll pull them and add them to the dirs.

Tim

jhoff80
2007-12-21, 01:39
I don't know if this is the best way to do it. Under "Uninstalling" on the package manage, it lists (quite a few packages):

python2.5-epsilon
python2.5-evas
python2.5-efl-utils
hildon-imf-ecore
atabake
python2.5-gobject
python2.5-efl-core
python2.5-terra
python2.5-etk
canola2
python2.5-xml
canolad
python2.5-dispatcher
python2.5-edbus
python2.5-ecore
python2.5-lightmediascanner
python2.5-downloadmanager
python2.5-dbus
libedbus0
python2.5-edje
efl-core

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 01:40
Emailing you a tarball with the files I've been able to get so far... (For Chinook OS2008. Not sure if OS2007 uses different files)

barbieri
2007-12-21, 01:41
Is it correct that WMA support isn't in this program?

Yes, unfortunately you are right, I forgot to add this... will do in january as well as other media we don't do proper parse (real, wav, ...).

In meantime, it's all based on lightmediascanner, which is a public project at garage, one could write a new plugin that mimics video-dummy, but for audio instead, and add there all still unsupported extensions you want, then use cnl-get-prefs canolad and cnl-set-prefs canolad audio_types "['id3lib', 'ogg', 'm3u', 'pls', 'audio-dummy']" to enable it within canola.

Ok, it doesn't solve the problem now, but at least give some hints on how to solve until I get back from vacation :-P

sachin007
2007-12-21, 01:42
Packages missing.

efl-core
python2.5 efl-core
lightmediascanner-plugins
python2.5-dispatcher
python2.5-dbus-ecore()/python2.5-edbus
python2.5-feedparser
python2.5-pyinotify
hildon-imf-ecore
python2.5-terra
atabake
downloadmanager-server
canolad

Please upload. Thanks

tps
2007-12-21, 01:46
Emailing you a tarball with the files I've been able to get so far... (For Chinook OS2008. Not sure if OS2007 uses different files)

I'll take a look. I'm in the process of pulling lightmediascanner

Tim

GreySim
2007-12-21, 01:47
Here's a list of packages I was having to deal with earlier via apt-get. I think it'll be more complete than the other lists, but may still have some gaps for other reasons. Hope it helps.

libedje0 libeet0 libembryo0 canola2 libepsilon0 libetk0 libetk0-engine-evas libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11 libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11-16 libetk0-engine-evas-x11 libevas0 libevas0-loader-eet python2.5-edje python2.5-etk python2.5-ecore python2.5-efl-core python2.5-epsilon python2.5-evas python2.5-terra libevas0-engine-software-x11 canolad libevas0-engine-software-x11-16 libecore0-evas libecore0-imf-evas libevas0-engine-software-generic

wetcoast
2007-12-21, 01:51
barbieri - its too bad that some folks have a hard time distinguishing the problem which is wholly Nokia's to resolve (OS/app repository accessibility) from anything else.

Canola2 looks great; despite my own early hopes for ogg support being in-the-box, I'm still very optimistic for your product. Getting the foundation right is what is most important, and from what it seems via feedback, you folks have already thunk-through many of the more interesting wants and desires many will have. Its too bad that the Nokia issues happened along at the same time as your first beta look-see; had that not been the case, there would be nowhere near the griping we see now.

Hopefully we'll see people grow some manners or at least start to differentiate whose problems are whose.

tps
2007-12-21, 01:51
I'll take a look. I'm in the process of pulling lightmediascanner

Ah you got them already. OK, this is looking more complete. Files are in the canola2 directory

http://www.buoy.com/~tps/canola2/
http://www2.buoy.com/~tps/canola2

Between the 2 instances, I should have plenty of connections, and 6MB of bandwidth...

Tim

wolf08
2007-12-21, 01:53
Packages missing.

efl-core
python2.5 efl-core
lightmediascanner-plugins
python2.5-dispatcher
python2.5-dbus-ecore()/python2.5-edbus
python2.5-feedparser
python2.5-pyinotify
hildon-imf-ecore
python2.5-terra
atabake
downloadmanager-server
canolad

Please upload. Thanks

I've got some at http://blog.chatonka.com/Canola

=)

sachin007
2007-12-21, 01:54
Ah you got them already. OK, this is looking more complete. Files are in the canola2 directory

Between the 2 instances, I should have plenty of connections, and 6MB of bandwidth...

Tim

So how do we install these??

fakebanana
2007-12-21, 02:03
Here's a suggestion for those of us who'd like to display album art with minimum of fuss, YEMV:

1. Organize your music in <artist>/<album> folders
2. Use a script to create two jpg files called cover.jpg and cover-small.jpg, 300x300 pixels and 150x150 pixels respectively, for each album and place them in the albums' folders.
3. Move the contents (if any) of ~/.canola/covers to the root of your main music folder.
4. Remove ~/.canola/covers and create a symbolic link to the root of your music folder from ~/.canola/covers (eg. ln -s /media/mmc2/Music ~/.canola/covers).
5. Restart Canola and enjoy your album art!

El Amir
2007-12-21, 02:05

Tim

thanks for the hard work but whatever i install i get "Incompatible application package"

btw is there a specific order to install them in ?

wolf08
2007-12-21, 02:15
We're still missing:

libevas0-saver-eet libevas0-saver-jpeg libevas0-saver-png libevas0-engine-software-generic libevas0-engine-buffer libevas0-engine-software-x11 libevas0-engine-software-x11-16
libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11 libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11-16 libetk0 libetk0-engine-all efl-core python2.5-evas python2.5-ecore python2.5-edje python2.5-etk python2.5-efl-utils python2.5-edbus
python2.5-efl-core python2.5-dispatcher

Links (to dead maemo site):

Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-saver-eet_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-saver-jpeg_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-saver-png_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-engine-software-generic_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-engine-buffer_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-engine-software-x11_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/evas/libevas0-engine-software-x11-16_0.9.9.041-maemo.5_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/etk/libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11_0.1.0.007-maemo.4_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/etk/libetk0-engine-evas-software-x11-16_0.1.0.007-maemo.4_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/etk/libetk0_0.1.0.007-maemo.4_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/etk/libetk0-engine-all_0.1.0.007-maemo.4_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/e/efl-core/efl-core_0.9.1.041-maemo.3_all.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-evas/python2.5-evas_0.2.0-maemo.1_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-ecore/python2.5-ecore_0.2.0-maemo.1_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-edje/python2.5-edje_0.2.0-maemo.1_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-etk/python2.5-etk_0.1.0-maemo.1_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-efl-utils/python2.5-efl-utils_0.1.0-maemo.1_all.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-edbus/python2.5-edbus_0.1.0-maemo.1_armel.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-efl-core/python2.5-efl-core_0.9.1.041-maemo.1_all.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-dispatcher/python2.5-dispatcher_0.1.0-maemo.1_all.deb Size mismatch

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 02:15
thanks for the hard work but whatever i install

Since we dont have a complete set of files yet, no use trying to install yet...

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I would think that you would copy all these .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives on your OS2008 device and then install. Since the files will already exist, it wont need to download them... Just my guess...but since I dont have a complete set of files, I'm not there yet.

wolf08
2007-12-21, 02:16

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I would think that you would copy all these .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives on your OS2008 device and then install. Since the files will already exist, it wont need to download them... Just my guess...but since I dont have a complete set of files, I'm not there yet.

Yes, that's exactly how it would work. And you can automate the process somewhat with 'wget -r -nd http://blog.chatonka.com/Canola' but it also keeps on recursing... not good. Any suggestions?

El Amir
2007-12-21, 02:21

thanks for the heads up, nearly made a hole in my tablet but pressing install (very hard) so many times and not getting anything :)

ebe51
2007-12-21, 02:25
For all you who where able to download canola2 today ...

I hate you!

wetcoast
2007-12-21, 02:30
LOL

And my comeback: For all those of you who didn't download Canola, and didn't waste hours fighting Nokia's broken software distribution system, and got some productive work done, I hate *you*!

iball
2007-12-21, 02:36
I added bold around decided because: have you thought about the possibility of having no other option? ;-)
Bullsh1t! Folks have been able to take the firmwares and rehost them VERY EASILY on other servers with more bandwidth.

Unfortunately that was the case, and we're paying the price (it's a beta, we want feedback about our software, not about repos giving 404 all the time)
Wow, if no one can install your goddamn application then don't expect much feedback other than "it won't download".
While you might have decent programming skills, your network engineering skills need a serious amount of work.

e-motion
2007-12-21, 02:36
Forget Canola2, I can't even re-install my apps after having installed the OS2008 update. Talk about a big tease :(

crackhead
2007-12-21, 02:40
I hear ya, e-motion. I'm psyched for Canola, but I haven't been able to re-install ANY apps after updating. That is the most difficult part about all this. I'm stuck with a stock machine. Had I known I would have these issues for a couple of DAYS, I never would have upgraded.

Nik1
2007-12-21, 02:41
Their servers choke 1 day before I go down south for the holidays. Looks like the n800 wont be coming on this trip... I hope, but also doubt everything will be fixed by tommorow.

ebe51
2007-12-21, 02:45
well if i was smart i would have made backup of my nice os2007 which had all kind of good stuff installed, and i restore right now till things cool down. yet, because i'm stupid i did not make a back and i'm stuck with os2008 with no chance of getting apps for sometime.

amigokin
2007-12-21, 02:54
I've installed Canola2 this morning, this afternoon I reflashed my tablet and now I can't download it, HAHA!

I knew this was going to happen but the popup finger keyboard was (and still is) going to kill me!

Oh Lord, I love my tablet and everything in between but sometimes... ARRRG! :p

rcadden
2007-12-21, 03:01
I've installed Canola2 this morning, this afternoon I reflashed my tablet and now I can't download it, HAHA!

I knew this was going to happen but the popup finger keyboard was (and still is) going to kill me!

Oh Lord, I love my tablet and everything in between but sometimes... ARRRG! :p

You're saying you DO or DON'T get the fingerboard? I can't for the life of me get the fingerboard to come up save for the d-pad. Freakin annoying as HELL. I'm tempted to go back a few versions and do a restore.

iball
2007-12-21, 03:05
Since the Canola developers are worthless at being able to host anything, anyone want to host a tarball I created with everything packed up?
Luckily I was able to download it from somewhere other than Maemo's worthless servers.

El Amir
2007-12-21, 03:08
I *HATE* nokia's repos...
I was at 4/5 of the download when it failed...:mad:
we should make our own repo funded by ITT member's paypal donations....
what do u all think?

tps
2007-12-21, 03:08
Since the Canola developers are worthless at being able to host anything, anyone want to host a tarball I created with everything packed up?
Luckily I was able to download it from somewhere other than Maemo's worthless servers.

Shoot it to me. I'll put it with the rest of the files.

Tim

tps
2007-12-21, 03:13
I *HATE* nokia's repos...
I was at 4/5 of the download when it failed...:mad:
we should make our own repo funded by ITT member's paypal donations....
what do u all think?

We can do it. Multiple sites fronteded by round robin dns, a master server that provides the rsync source for all the servers. eu and us mirror groups...

Tim

wolf08
2007-12-21, 03:15
We can do it. Multiple sites fronteded by round robin dns, a master server that provides the rsync source for all the servers. eu and us mirror groups...

Tim

Alright, I'm three packages (26kB) away from a full archive at http://blog.chatonka.com/Canola

I need python2.5-edbus and python2.5-efl-tools and python2.5-dispatcher

If anyone can get me those I've got 250GB of bandwidth to burn.

iball
2007-12-21, 03:27
You know what? Phuck it. Canola2 isn't worth the hassle.

Here's some "feedback" for you: not worth the damn hassle!

krbvroc1
2007-12-21, 03:30
Alright, I'm three packages (26kB) away from a full archive at http://blog.chatonka.com/Canola

I need python2.5-edbus and python2.5-efl-tools and python2.5-dispatcher

If anyone can get me those I've got 250GB of bandwidth to burn.

I sent you a PM asking for your email addr. Also, I'm getting 403 Forbidden on your files.

wolf08
2007-12-21, 03:33
I sent you a PM asking for your email addr. Also, I'm getting 403 Forbidden on your files.

Ok, I've replied. And thanks for catching the 403. Permissions were set wrong on the server.

wolf08
2007-12-21, 03:41
Thanks. I'm now missing python2.5-dispatcher and python2.5-efl-utils and the server has been updated.

edit: Alright! I got the dispatcher, so all that I'm missing is python2.5-efl-utils and then we can have a complete mirror =).

crackhead
2007-12-21, 03:49
Any chance the whole shebang can be gzipped when you've got them all? That's a lotta files...

wolf08
2007-12-21, 03:51
Any chance the whole shebang can be gzipped when you've got them all? That's a lotta files...

Yes, of course =).