PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

hobbes
2006-02-07, 16:03
Any recommendation on which GPS to get between these two (and why):

iBlue PS-3200 ~US$100
RoytalTek RBT-3000 ~US$80

Or is something else (available or forthcoming soon) better/cheaper?

I do like the RT's logging capability. Does iBlue support it as well?

hobbes
2006-02-09, 17:53
Given the recent GPS interest, I'm surprised at no responses. Are folks just generally not familiar with the devices?

thoughtfix
2006-02-09, 18:11
I have the iBlue running on my Nokia 770 and my iMate SP5m smartphone and it works swimmingly. I LOVE the battery saving features and the wide range of included charging options. However, I have no need for the RoyalTek's logging options and don't know how I would use them. If those features (and the $20 savings) are important to you, go that way.

NokNok770
2006-02-09, 18:49
Sure we're interested in GPS. Just that I don't have either of these two. I got delorme blue logger. I'm satisfied with the GPS...but I don't like the software it came with. My car navigation system have a better map than the one it came with I think. I kind of like the logging features of GPS. That way you can use it to track where things have been. :)

Reggie
2006-02-09, 18:55
If you can find a BT GPS with the SiRF Star III chip that fits your budget, go for that one. That chip will let you lock on to satellites in a matter of seconds.

Simon
2006-02-09, 19:06
This doesn't help with which brand to buy but here is the most useful description of GPS I have found to date. It explains the technical details and why you need 4 sats for an accurate fix (the fourth removes any timing errors) really well.

http://www.trimble.com/gps/

It really is a most amazing technology and I find it even more amazing in this age of having to pay for everything that it is available for use completely free to the user once you have your receiver.

artificial
2006-06-01, 21:36
Take a look at nav4all. It is a gps system that works on your phone and you can use it free til August 15. So you can test it before you definitely choose tro stick with it. Here is the link http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.na...enguk/eng/index.php

banero
2006-06-15, 12:15
thnx artificial, I downloaded their software last week. It works very well till so far and it was very easy to install it on my phone. All the instructions where also on their website. Like you said it is free till august, I recommend everybody to experiment with it. Then you can decide self whether you like it or not.

beowabbit
2006-06-16, 15:42
I have an i.Trek M5 which I got for about $70, and it works swimmingly well with Maemo Mapper. (I needed to pair it to my Mac to find the MAC address of the GPS in order to pair it by hand with Maemo Mapper -- automatic pairing didn't seem to work. I'm sure there's a way to browse nearby BT MAC addresses on the N770, but the Mac was handy.) The i.Trek M5 seems to be sensitive to being touched, though; if I touch it it gets a little jittery in the position it reports. (Not a big deal, though.)