PDA

View Full Version : X Term commands question

heckler770
2006-02-08, 00:34
Hi All,

Hope this is the right board for these questions- what is the command in x-term on the 770(or what do I type) to get a list of running jobs and then what is the command to kill a particular job? I've typed in "help" to get a list of available commands, but nothing on how to list running jobs. I could be missing it- I'm a total Linux newb.

Also, in the "Teach a man to fish...." category, can anyone recommend a good site or book to further my Linux introduction/education?

Thanks for any input! :)

alslayer
2006-02-08, 00:45
A quick google search says use "ps". I tried it and it looks like it works.

Remote User
2006-02-08, 01:41
I would just Google a few terms such as linux, newbie, howto, commands, sysadmin. You'll find lots of pages full of help. In UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD there is a manual for every command and its arguments. You can access it by typing the 'man' command. Any search engine, words like 'howto' and your own curiosity are the way ahead.
Here's one link to start with.
http://www.groovyweb.uklinux.net/?page_name=unixcommands

The best recommendation I can give you, though, is to have a focus. If you head into this without a focus you might as well not bother. You need a goal, a reason to jump into this. Without a focus you won't have the satisfaction of achievement along the way and it will all ring kind of hollow to you. Pick a modest goal and learn the things that are necessary to achieve it. When you get there, pick a new goal. The more you know, the faster you will learn. If it makes sense to you then that's all that matters.

Tweak
2006-02-08, 02:59
Commands you should lookup: ps, top and kill

varis
2006-02-08, 09:04
I'm not sure if this already is relevant for a newbie following introductory howtos, but you should note that the command line environment in your regular desktop Linux is different from what's on this (and many other embedded) device.

I recall 770 uses busybox, which I think replaces some of the regular Linux utility binaries, was that correct? You can probably find help for busybox with google. Also the shell is not bash but ash, which likewise is a more stripped down alternative. If you are interested in learning how bash works, you could install that on 770 :)

Gourmet
2006-02-08, 09:19
Hi All,

Hope this is the right board for these questions- what is the command in x-term on the 770(or what do I type) to get a list of running jobs and then what is the command to kill a particular job? I've typed in "help" to get a list of available commands, but nothing on how to list running jobs. I could be missing it- I'm a total Linux newb.

Also, in the "Teach a man to fish...." category, can anyone recommend a good site or book to further my Linux introduction/education?

Thanks for any input! :)
As always in every Unix system on the Earth the commands you're looking for are :
ps
and
kill

For example if you want to get a good list of existing processes in memory (only one is running at a time since there is only one CPU involved) type
ps ax
or
ps auxg if you want more.
If you want to kill a process, look for its PID number and type
kill <PID> or
killall <the name of the process>
etc,etc

db

Hedgecore
2006-02-08, 13:52
I like using 'top' so I can see what's going on... the first thing you'll notice is - - you can't get out of it. (Is there a hot key? I've used this since '96 on Slackware and I never found it). Tap the menu, send special character, ctrl + character, and tap 'c'. (In other words, send a ctrl-c) That'll stop top.

aflegg
2006-02-08, 13:57
Err, to quit top you press 'q' ;-)

HTH,

Andrew

Hedgecore
2006-02-08, 17:35
HAHAHHAHAHHAhahHAHAHHAHAHAHhAHHAHAhahaa...

I'm sorry for the useless post... but... HAhahahahahhahahahahaha.

I'm *so* shaking my head right now.

Frooble
2006-02-08, 17:55
Here is documentation for xterm commands, but even this doesn't say that 'q' exits top :-)

http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html

heckler770
2006-02-08, 21:18
Thanks all for the helpful replies! :)

Cheers