PDA

View Full Version : Working Gmail IMAP settings?

sutats.com
2007-12-17, 21:37
Hello people!

I'm toying around with my N810 today and have been unsuccessful in setting up IMAP gmail access.

I've searched on here and from what I can read nobody's been able to have both send and receive working by IMAP. What's the most likely cause of this? Would this be a google or email client issue?

zeez
2007-12-17, 21:51
I think the mail client that comes with OS2008 won't work with gmail IMAP. You need the Modest beta. (Search this forum for it)

Jerome
2007-12-18, 00:04
??? I did not notice any problems. Just follow the settings on google help page, you receive using imap, send using stp.

There is no advantage over pop for the built-in email client, though.

TheJoker
2007-12-21, 20:26
Hi,

I've just tried to configure my N800/OS2008 and my GMail account, it all works except for reading messages. I get the headers, but I don't get the actual message content (just says 'Retrieving'). Sending works fine too. It takes forever too. :( Not very impressed. OS2008 is a dream otherwise, well, maybe not a dream, but it's very good.

Could someone who got it working share their secret and/or settings? I did the setup per the instructions. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

I'd like to get the built in app working before going to another app, like Modest... :-/

Thanks!

TheJoker
2007-12-21, 22:46
Strangely I'm able to read my emails, but I wouldn't call it "working" my IMAP inbox contains about 3000 emails. (Works fine on several email clients, including Maemo claws-mail.)

Anyway; to retrieve emails takes several minutes. Once the email is in my inbox I can click it to open it, and then I get the email display screen with the 'Retrieving' progress bar going 'forever'. After several minutes the email-view screen closes and if I open the email view screen again the same happens, but at a shorter time. The 3rd time I open it up, the 'Retrieving' progress bar goes on for a while, but then suddenly there's my email.

*sigh*

I had better working email clients on my 486 DX2 50mHz machine!

gerbick
2007-12-21, 22:58
It doesn't work at all for me. I'm waiting on Modest to actually replace the standard e-mail client before I switch to it though.

There's an Gmail Notifier that's now out there though. Might be worth it in the meantime.

Traintime
2007-12-22, 17:09
See topic: GMAIL on the N810 where these points have been hashed through.

TheJoker
2007-12-24, 10:41
I've read the thread you're referring to before http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13081 but all it does is confirm that GMail's IMAP does not work with the built in OS2008 email application.

YoDude
2007-12-24, 11:03
Strangely I'm able to read my emails, but I wouldn't call it "working" my IMAP inbox contains about 3000 emails. (Works fine on several email clients, including Maemo claws-mail.)

Anyway; to retrieve emails takes several minutes. Once the email is in my inbox I can click it to open it, and then I get the email display screen with the 'Retrieving' progress bar going 'forever'. After several minutes the email-view screen closes and if I open the email view screen again the same happens, but at a shorter time. The 3rd time I open it up, the 'Retrieving' progress bar goes on for a while, but then suddenly there's my email.

*sigh*

I had better working email clients on my 486 DX2 50mHz machine!

POP works just fine and you can set it up to leave messages on server so there are no IMAP advantages for me.

(Go to E-mail - Inbox > Accounts > New account... and continue with the next step).

Select Next to start the account setup.

In the Account setup 1/4, define the following settings:
Account name: Your user name,including the domain name (for example, BarneyRuble@gmail.com )
Account type: POP3
Tap Next.

In the Account setup 2/4, define the following settings:
Name: Your user name (as you want it to be shown in the sender field, for example, "BarneyRuble")
User name: Your user name (for example, BarneyRuble@gmail.com)
Password: Your password (for example, a1b2c3)
E-mail address: Your e-mail address (for example, BarneyRuble@gmail.com)
Tap Next.

In the Account setup 3/4, define the following settings:
Incoming server (POP3): pop.gmail.com
Outgoing server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
Leave Use connection-specific SMTP servers unchecked.
Tap Next.

In the Account setup 4/4, tap Advanced for further settings.
In the Incoming view, you must define the following settings:
Security: SSL (POP3S)
Incoming e-mail port: 995

In the Outgoing view, you must define following settings:
SMTP authentication: Login
User name: Your user name (for example, BarneyRuble@gmail.com)
Password: your password (for example, a1b2c3)
Security: SSL
Outgoing e-mail port: 465 or 587
Tap OK to save the settings.

Tap Finish. Your mailbox has now been created.

BTW, the blue LED flashes upon reciept of new mail so there is no need for mnotify either. :)

TheJoker
2008-01-02, 09:32
POP works just fine and you can set it up to leave messages on server so there are no IMAP advantages for me.

I check email on at least two devices now, want to use the N800 too, so I'm not going back to POP, even if POP isn't "that bad". :)

www.rzr.online.fr
2009-08-26, 11:59
I just checked on OS2006 (770) seems to work, but sometimes it seems to hang ...

can you suggest other STMP alternatives ?
--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/smtp

fragos
2009-08-26, 21:58
IMAP and Gmail works fine for me, send and receive. I don't leave messages in my Gmail inbox and that might be the reason my performance is acceptable. Modest has a parameter for opening headers only or retrieving the entire message. That's what I do so I can read them later even if no WiFi is available. I do think that regardless attachments are only retrieved when specifically accessed.