PDA

View Full Version : Viewing System Files

chachachazippo2
2007-12-17, 22:42
Is there an easy program to view the system files so that I can replace the doom .wad file (for example kind of like on windows there is a my computer and you can hen access program files and everything)

chachachazippo2
2007-12-17, 22:57
another example is fbread when you looking for a file and have the freedom to look any where thats what i mean

Arjun
2007-12-19, 20:35
There really is no shortcut method to do what you mentioned in your earlier posts without understanding / knowing how to use Linux Commands.

Nokia 770 uses Debian Linux which is somewhat similar to normal Linux. Now, to manipulate files, view them etc you will need to install ' Xterm ' then you will need to know how to use ' Xterm '. You will also need to know how to become the ' root' user. The details for this is provided at maemo website.

If you 'Google' some of the the commands/ usage you require, it will be a lot of help to you. If you want to understand and use the Nokia 770 to its full capacity and capabilities then you surely need to know how to play around with Linux / Unix commands. Most of these commands are run using a console ( there is no Window like GUI ) where you will have to type every single command, that you wish the Nokia 770 to execute.

Traecer
2007-12-19, 21:42
The built-in File Manager only allows you to look at a subset of your home directory (/home/user/MyDocs) and the memory card slots. Midnight Commander (mc) is in one of the app repositories and may help you look at files elsewhere in the system, but if you want to modify files not in your home directory, you probably will need xterm and root access.