PDA

View Full Version : Application manager: now with ten times the flakiness

gisborne
2007-12-18, 13:04
Just installed 2K8 on my 800.

Don't notice any extra speed. Nor any significant extra features.

And Application Manager crashed on me six times before I got the apps I wanted installed.

What am I missing here? This is a big disappointment.

iontruo2
2007-12-18, 13:18
Mine's working well(N800x2). Application list is updating and the installs are pretty quick. First time I flashed, I had a no launch situation after installing Skype but that was it.

I reflashed and so far so good.

zerojay
2007-12-18, 13:40
Have never seen a crash on the OS2008 beta.

Tuxedosteve
2007-12-18, 14:08
I sometimes get a crash when I launch a deb from a web page. I don't know which bit is crashing which but both the browser and the app manager have a random chance of just falling over and the install process not starting. This is on a N810.

sevo
2007-12-18, 14:21
You are positive that it crashes? I have only seen that once or twice when repositories sent illegal responses instead of an archive listing.

Aborts are more normal, and indeed to be expected on a heavily packed tablet. All applications installed from file, anything originally broken (needing red pill mode), anything not available for OS2008 and anything vanished from the repositories between then and now must and will raise an error when you attempt to reinstall automatically. More severe errors (e.g. those with circular dependencies) will abort the install and require you to start over and unselect the package in question. If you have many of these problem apps about, it will make the process rather lengthy - but not really any worse than sorting it out with paper and pencil.

Tuxedosteve
2007-12-18, 14:24
I'm not positive about anything since the webbrowser just shuts down after it's downloaded the deb. I don't know if it's tried to launch the app manager or if it's crashed itself.

What I do know is that if I try again it tends to work so I doubt it's a dependency problem. Even if it was a dependency problem it shouldn't just stop without an error message.

sevo
2007-12-18, 14:31
I've experienced some crashes with direct deb installs, but all of them were caused by the web page sending a disclaimer page, redirect or misnamed file rather than the expected deb file. The app manager could do with better error management there and pop up an alert rather than crash, and push the blame back to whoever set up a broken download page...