PDA

View Full Version : BT keyboard Pairing...

roblynn
2007-12-18, 19:45
Just completed the re-flash of the latest OS release on my N800. I am having trouble pairing a aluminium Apple BT keyboard with it -- this has not been an issue before with either OS2007 or OS2008beta. Now when I try pairing, after entering the 4-digit code in the keyboard, a dialog box immediately returns stating that the pairing failed with an ok or cancel button set.

I removed the batteries from the keyboard and rebooted the N800, but still get the problem.

Anyone else notice a difference in the pairing process?

Robert B.

sevo
2007-12-18, 20:04
I have issues with pairing my freedom mini - but so far I haven't worked out whether that is due to an exceeded number of paired devices in the keyboard (which seems to be a known issue at that side, but I have mislaid the web site that had the reset procedure) or some OS2008 bug.

Hedgecore
2007-12-18, 20:38
I have a 770 with OS2007HE installed, so forgive me if I'm wrong about how connectivity works in OS2008...

Are you going to the Connection Manager, selecting Tools, Bluetooth and connecting to the keyboard profile you setup there? Mine only works the first time, each subsequent time I have to delete the keyboard profile, search for new devices, put the keyboard into discoverable mode, and then pair using the passcode.

roblynn
2007-12-18, 20:40
Hmmm. I reflashed OS2008Beta and tried the pairing and there is a difference. In the Beta, after pressing OK in the pairing dialog box (the one where you input the 4-digit key), the device displays a "pairing" notification for a period of time before returning with a "Pairing Failed. Authentication Failed. Try again." dialog message if unsuccessful.

On the latest OS2008, there is no pause between the pairing dialog and when the "Pairing failed. Try again?" dialog. Pressing OK just returns to this dialog box -- no pause at all.

A number of posts seem to indicate that BT headphones now work. I wonder how this support impacts keyboards?

Robert B.

L0cutus
2007-12-18, 21:49
do not use the control panel->Bluetooth Keyboard to pair your keyboard, but use
Bluetooth->Devices instead.

roblynn
2007-12-18, 23:27
Ok. I will reflash OS2008 and try pairing through Bluetooth->Devices instead. Argh!

Robert B.

rilkeanhearts
2007-12-19, 01:14
Funny, it wouldn't work with Bluetooth>Devices, but worked with Control Panel>Bluetooth Keyboard for my Think Outside keyboard!

roblynn
2007-12-19, 01:26
I reflashed the latest OS2008 and I can't seem to pair my keyboard. The keyboard indicates that it is paired, but the N800 always displays the "Pairing failed. Try again?" dialog.
I note that the behaviour of the pairing process via control-panel->bluetooth->device appears to work, it just does not complete successfully.

Strangely enough, when booting OS2008 but mounting an mmc OS2008beta filesystem, the pairing was successful.

Strange!

Robert B.

dgenge
2007-12-19, 20:09
I am having exact same problem as Robert.. anyone know what it could be?

roblynn
2007-12-20, 01:01
Today I tried using a OS2008 mmc clone and could not pair the keyboard. However, by copying over the bluetooth config from the OS2008beta mmc filesystem (somewhere down /var/lib/... -- forgot the path), the keyboard worked under OS2008.

I did a winmerge compare between the OS2008beta and OS2008 filesystems and there is very little (if any) bluetooth configuration changes (some stuff about gstream), but most of the objects binaries have been updated.

I doubt I will have time to figure out which binary to replace in OS2008 from OS2008beta before the new year...

Robert B.

philwil
2007-12-21, 19:55
I have found that if I reflash with os2008 and do not perform backup restore, I can successfully pair with my StowAway keyboard and my Jabra bluetooth headset. Maybe someone else can try and see if this works for them.

philwil

roblynn
2007-12-21, 20:03
I have found that if I reflash with os2008 and do not perform backup restore, I can successfully pair with my StowAway keyboard and my Jabra bluetooth headset. Maybe someone else can try and see if this works for them.

philwil

Thanks. Will give it a go when I finished playing with Canola2 and iTablet...

Robert B.

klohmann
2007-12-21, 20:11
Yes, this did it for me as well, except that I did restore as well. Before that, it would error before it gave me the chance to enter the code. After the reflash, it waited (as it was supposed to).

Thanks, K.

R-R
2007-12-21, 20:13
Today I tried using a OS2008 mmc clone and could not pair the keyboard. However, by copying over the bluetooth config from the OS2008beta mmc filesystem (somewhere down /var/lib/... -- forgot the path), the keyboard worked under OS2008.

Can you be more specific about the changes in /var/lib/bluetooth ?
I tried looking around but i'm not sure what should be changed as i don't have a beta to diff with...

I'm also having problem with a headset that worked great in 2007 and the 2008beta. It will work some times and show the headset-volume icon at the top, and sometimes in BT it says it's paired but i don't get any sound on it, only by the speakers. And sometimes i even get sound though i don't get the icon! Something is really screwed up in 2008 i think... time to open a serious bug issue ?

Can anybody do it? seems like my account logs in maemo.org but not bugs.maemo.org )(*$)(*&%?!"$

philwil
2007-12-21, 20:14
That was my original problem that caused me to reflash. would not even give you a chance to enter the code on the keyboard.

philwil

nebulatonova
2007-12-21, 20:21
This worked for me as well(reflashing without restoring from backup). Using new Apple Wireless keyboard.

There were a few quirks still. Here is the process I followed:
- Reflash without restoring the backup.
- Control Panel --> Bluetooth Keyboard --> (Generic 105/US ENG) Pair
- Gave me the option to enter the passcode, but would not take.
- canceled out to control panel and then reentered Bluetooth Keyboard
- Same settings, this time when I hit pair the screen jumped back to the panel to select what to pair with. I would click the keyboard and then click pair and it would go back to the available BT devices panel again.
- canceled out back to control panel
- went into bluetooth under connectivity
- got a list of devices selected the apple keyboard and entered the passcode hit enter
- failed several times
- got angry at the next passcode attempt and pushed about 30 keys in a random sequence
- paired successfully
- power cycled n800 and BT keyboard
- connected wonderfully again......fingers crossed this continues.

roblynn
2007-12-21, 20:22
Can you be more specific about the changes in /var/lib/bluetooth ?

Yes, I can. I did not change any files, I simply copied all the files below /var/lib/bluetooth/00:00:00:00:00:00/* (where 00:00:00:00:00:00 is your device's bluetooth address) from the OS2008beta filesystem (where the keyboard was successfully paired) to the corresponding location of the OS2008 filesystem.

Because of this, I need to keep my OS2008beta partition around :(...

Robert B.

roblynn
2007-12-21, 20:29
Something is really screwed up in 2008 i think... time to open a serious bug issue ?

I searched ITT and did not find similar issues in the previous OS releases, which would indicate that this is a new problem introduced between the public OS2008beta and the final version.

Where would one log a bug against this issue?

Robert B.

R-R
2007-12-21, 20:34
I searched ITT and did not find similar issues in the previous OS releases, which would indicate that this is a new problem introduced between the public OS2008beta and the final version.

Where would one log a bug against this issue?

Robert B.

bugs.maemo.org

Can someone create it so we can go and vote, this is quite cirtical :-(
(I can't seem to log in right now or else i would have done it ...)

senshisuki
2007-12-22, 16:57
have submitted a bug (my first even , i hope i didn't make too much of a mess of it)
Bug 2640

jcherepy
2007-12-22, 22:17
I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard that I have been using with my N800 . I flashed the N800 with the 2008OS and now when I can't pair the keyboard. The N800 sees the keyboard and gives me a passcode, but when I enter the passcode into the KB the N800 switches to a passcode screen with the passcode box empty. I try to enter a passcode into this box and it switches back to the box with the passcode in it. Done this about 20 times now. Am I the only one having this trouble?

Bill

Edit: I did a reflash and did NOT do a restore and the KB Paired first try. Powered down both units and powered back on and KB still paired.

roblynn
2007-12-23, 00:17
Nope. This is the same problem that I see with my BT keyboard.

Robert B.

dgenge
2007-12-23, 12:31
From a noob, You can vote on a bug?? I am having exact same problem. (Apple KB)

R-R
2007-12-23, 21:45
From a noob, You can vote on a bug?? I am having exact same problem. (Apple KB)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2640

Yep, here :-)

Morgan
2007-12-26, 16:54
n800, brand new, can't pair to the iGo in either OS2007 or OS2008. Gives me the passcode but never offers to have me type it in. Then pairing fails.

Morgan
2007-12-26, 16:55
Oops, wrong key swept up my previous post. Followup: what an unspeakably nifty device the n800 is!

Texrat
2007-12-26, 18:18
I haven't tried keyboard pairing yet with OS2008 so no current experience of my own (I do have a Nokia keyboard to test, maybe later). I just want to say I'm impressed with the professionalism in this thread. No ranting, no bashing, no attacks on other members-- just a progressive exploration of a bug complete with bug filing, voting and community assistance. Nicely done, guys.

Mika73
2007-12-26, 21:55
I did also order Apple BT keyboard. It looks nice and is small. Hope it works witn N800 and PS3. :)

If problem is restoring old settings after OS update, hope it helps that my settings didnt have BT keyboard at OS2007. :rolleyes:

Rickfar
2007-12-26, 22:57
n800, brand new, can't pair to the iGo in either OS2007 or OS2008. Gives me the passcode but never offers to have me type it in. Then pairing fails.

IGO keyboard

Morgan,
Once you get the passcode click on ok. You should get a "searching" dialog go ahead and enter the code on the keyboard (remember you have to press on the blue function key to get the numbers) then make sure to hit the enter key on the keyboard (I was still holding the function key) . That should pair the IGO keyboard and the N800 with os 2008. Hope this helps.

Eismaus
2007-12-26, 23:49
Have someone got an freedom mini to work with os2008?

I tried it with this information, but when i try to scan for devices with hcitool scan, i got the message hcitool not found.
Did i forgot to install something?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6604&highlight=freedom+mini

Sorry, if this isn't the right tread to ask.

Bama Brian
2007-12-27, 19:12
With so many individual solutions to pairing, I wonder what's really going on.

One says to flash and pair before restoring saved data. Another says to use the keyboard pairing option in Control Panel. Yet another says he's had no trouble at all.

It all makes me think there may be differences in the machines themselves apart from the OS, that may be either in hardware or buried in the system BIOS by changes during the N800's manufacturing run.

As for me, I'm going to wait until OS2008 V1.1 comes out before I try it again.

dgenge
2007-12-27, 19:31
Its probably the median age of the members...:-) did you see that poll... ha ha
your right though!

rauschd
2007-12-27, 22:11
Below bug report has workaround posted that worked for me.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2640

Mika73
2007-12-28, 16:23
Apple BT keyboard doesnt work for me either :(

It works ok with PS3 anyway.

When I try add keyboard to N800 it does find Apple keyboard and then show me code number, buy after this when it try to connect N800 and keyboard it says that connection between those did fail.

:(

Mika73
2007-12-28, 16:44
Hey!! I got it working.. Here is what I did when I still can remember it clear.

I did connect Apple BT with Control panel - Bluetooth keyboard. It does find Apple BT keyboard then show you code and other settings.. Then it starts to connect..

I did enter code, (even it looks that nothing happends at N800 screen.. Just pairing-connecting at upcorner) and did press Enter at BT keyboard many times after entering code.. Suddenly it did just accept it and connect keyboard.

Now what I am thinking.. Maybe there should be window where enter code, but it just doesnt show it.. For some reason pressing enter many times after entering code with keyboard.. It did work.. :)

Please someone who had problem pairing, try this.

morgang
2007-12-31, 01:06
Re-flashing with 2008 then pairing before restore worked for me too. :-)

Then restoring 'settings' removed the pairing and doesn't work again . . . so seems like whatever the problem is it can be backed up to flash (and thus avoided by not restoring 'settings').

dont
2008-01-02, 13:57
I'm also having problem with a headset that worked great in 2007 and the 2008beta. It will work some times and show the headset-volume icon at the top, and sometimes in BT it says it's paired but i don't get any sound on it, only by the speakers. And sometimes i even get sound though i don't get the icon!

I know this is a BT keyboard thread, but R-R raised this issue here (maybe it is somewhere else too?).

Anyway, I am experiencing similar problems with a Moto H350 headset. It worked for a day or so when I first got it, but now is exhibiting similar behaviour to above. The only additional info that I have noticed is that the headset seems to think that it always has a call in progress. In addition, if I really do have a Skype call in progress with the N800 speakers and microphone handling the call then I can hang up the call using the headset button. After that the headset still flashes to show a call in progress.

here.david
2008-01-02, 20:52
THANK YOU! ...the enter key was the answer....BTW, I also have a N82 and the sis drivers will not install...sorry to ask as this is a Nxxx forum...still waiting for my N810 from Dell...:(

Tony Thomas
2008-01-03, 06:31
I had the pairing problem with the iGo Stowaway UltraSlim and the aluminum Apple BT keyboard. The only solution I found that works is to downgrade to the OS2008 beta and all seems to be well...

mhoye
2008-01-03, 15:41
I've had the same pairing-after-a-restore problem that other people here have described, specifically the immediate "pairing failed" error you get trying to pair a BT keyboard. It's fixable without downgrading or reflashing, but you've got to get root access and be comfortable using vi (or any other in-terminal text editor) to do it.

So: install the X terminal, ssh client and server. It will ask you to change your password to something non-default, so do that.

ssh root@localhost, and login.

key in "cd /var/lib/blue" and then hit tab twice, tab-completion gets you into /var/lib/bluetooth/-your bt mac address-/

then do an ls, and that will show you a list of your bluetooth configuration files. so, flip over your keyboard and make a note of its mac address.

Then, open each of the files in that directory in turn, and delete any line that references that mac address and, if they're there, any empty blank lines at the beginning of the file.

Log out, power down and restart the n800. Now the pairing process should work as advertised.

Good luck.

Mika73
2008-01-03, 16:14
THANK YOU! ...the enter key was the answer....

Thanks. Thats nice to hear :)

Then it shuld work with others too. I am sure I am not onlyone who doesnt use terminal and use only GUI.

Tony Thomas
2008-01-03, 16:48
The thing is, all I restored after reflashing was bookmarks and application list. Other than that, it was clean install. I still couldn't get pairing working with version 2.2007.50-2. Pairing worked perfectly with version 1.2007.44-4. (beta) Anybody else up to testing this?

Tony Thomas
2008-01-04, 03:02
Update: After successfully pairing using 1.2007.44-4. (beta), I upgraded to 2.2007.50-2 and restored settings, bookmarks and applications lists. Pairing now works under 2.2007.50-2.

Lingie
2008-01-05, 17:37
Hello people,

Just want you to know that I had similar problems after updating to OS2008 on my N800 trying to pair it with the Stowaway BT keyboard. After reading this thread I decided to stop the frustration by re-installing the OS2008 and if the BT pairing did not work I would revert to the OS2007 which worked quickly.

Lucky for me the re-install turned out to be successful when pairing the BT keyboard. So, try it out. Erase or back up your data. The N800 is brand new so I decided to erase my little bit of data and start from scratch so no 'restore' needed in my case.

Good luck to you folks who are trying .

Have a good day.

dgenge
2008-01-08, 11:27
I have an Apple BT Keyboard (small), N800 w/OS2008 and have had same problems as listed in this and other threads. Got it fixed by!!
Back-up 1st
Reflash same OS
Do Pairing (worked)
Now did restore and reinstalled apps.
I did shutdown and restart and everything seems to be working OK..
I want to thank everyone in this forum for there efforts in helping everyone else get the most out of this IT. Technology Rocks....Darren

kgingeri
2008-01-09, 08:18
So: install the X terminal, ssh client and server. It will ask you to change your password to something non-default, so do that.

key in "cd /var/lib/blue" and then hit tab twice, tab-completion gets you into /var/lib/bluetooth/-your bt mac address-/

then do an ls, and that will show you a list of your bluetooth configuration files. so, flip over your keyboard and make a note of its mac address.

Then, open each of the files in that directory in turn, and delete any line that references that mac address and, if they're there, any empty blank lines at the beginning of the file.

Log out, power down and restart the n800. Now the pairing process should work as advertised.

Similar process worked for me! My keyboard (Freedom Universal - rebranded and sold by Palm) quit working on me and trying to remove it hung the bt process so I had to forcibly reboot via ssh. I've put info in the Wiki about it - see this (http://internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQs%2C_Problems_and_Solutions#Blu etooth_device_not_pairing_after_a_reboot_or_reflas h)

Gotta love the system prompt access on this device!! :D

BTW this is an excellent keyboard as it is basically a full PC keyboard with function keys accessed vi [Fn]+[nn] - "nn" being a top row digit keys.

bradsucks
2008-01-10, 21:17
mhoye's instructions (deleting the MAC addresses and rebooting the N800) worked great when I was having trouble with the iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth keyboard. Thanks mhoye!

koolguynet
2008-01-13, 15:24
This worked for me! Thanks!

I've had the same pairing-after-a-restore problem that other people here have described, specifically the immediate "pairing failed" error you get trying to pair a BT keyboard. It's fixable without downgrading or reflashing, but you've got to get root access and be comfortable using vi (or any other in-terminal text editor) to do it.

Good luck.