PDA

View Full Version : Redundant? Own an ipod Touch and N810

killerfish
2007-12-19, 12:48
Looks like my wife is going to buy me an ipod Touch for xMas with a bunch of Apple Gift Cards + cash that she has set aside. I'm really happy about this because I do need a smallish mp3/entertainment device. Plus we own 2 iMacs ...so, we've already locked ourselves in to the 'i' world...

Anyway, I also want an n810 b/c that gives me more flexibility (it would be able to connect to my work's wi-fi where touch can't. Plus, I work in a linux clustered env. so the utility of an n810 would pay off.

My question is this. Does anyone think it would be totally redundant to own both an iPod Touch and a N810?

KF

phi
2007-12-19, 14:16
It could be...or not. If you need something to connect to iTunes and have the ability to walk around with something small and light in your pocket, sure...but, if you don't need the touch features, save yourself the money and get the nano.

I have the iPhone and the n800 and while they do have some overlapping features, I use my iphone mostly as an mp3 player/phone/video player on the subway and occasional web browsing when I'm in line at the grocery store. Where as the n800 is usually for at home on the couch/bed use along with streaming radio or fm radio.

sachin007
2007-12-19, 14:37
Buy the n800 for 180 from best buy. Best deal

MikeL
2007-12-19, 14:43
Personally I would only purchase the N810 because I like to tinkering/play with all the latest software that can be installed on these Nokia devices. (It can do a lot more than the ipod Touch of today)

For example last Night I was transferring Video and music files from my PC to the N800 using WINSCP on my PC, with ssh on N800 which allows me to simply transfer/synchronise data Wirelessly and securely using nothing more than a windows browser on my PC. (Folder to Folder)

OK, the applications on the NIT's may not appear to be as polished as the apps on various ipod devices, but the freedom you have using and installing what apps are useful to yourself as an individual on essentially a mobile Linux device is very liberating.

However in my case I have not come from a mac background and hate the way itunes wants to control the way my music on my PC is manipulated and provided to my ipod, in order to make use of the full feature set. i.e. ratings (have similar problems with Win Media Player on XP BTW)

I do like the Ipod that I received as a present, but cant help thinking its got more style than actual open application flexibility. I would ideally prefer to have one gadget in addition to my mobile, which can be a true GPS, Web Surfing, Media Playing/Streaming device all running at the same time?

killerfish
2007-12-19, 18:26
I definitely starting to lean towards getting the n810 and 'hinting' to my wife that an ipod Nano may be a better use of funds... I'd go iPhone but my company doesn't pay for ATT service, but will for others. No sense adding a cell phone bill...

mike-y
2007-12-19, 19:07
I thought the ipod touch had wifi? is this not the case? (wondering why you wouldn't be able to connect to your work's network). Also, you don't have to have iTunes to synch your ipod. I use winamp for synching my 4g ipod to my PC. winamp also lets you sync "both ways" which iTunes does not.

Also, apple just released a dev kit for the iphone/touch, so you'll see a lot of 3rd party apps for them really soon.

killerfish
2007-12-19, 19:38
Yes, the ipod Touch has wifi, but it's wpa-personal only not wpa enterprise.. So, no go. I've tested with friends iPhone (same wifi setup as Touch).

I actually don't mind iTunes so I'm Ok with that for syncing.

I'm aware of the Apple SDK, just concerned it won't be as open/etc.. I'm thinking I'll go for the n810 and take a wait and see approach with the iPhone/Touch for about another year.

Thanks!
KF