PDA

View Full Version : Newbee Handholding OS7->OS8

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 02:11
OK. That's it really. I've looked around and I get bits and pieces of the process just not any "here you go and step by step" to upgrade n800 to OS 08. I got the firmware in its folder on my xp desktop and flasher 3.0 in its folder. I can connect up the n800 to and run the update wizard. When I get to the select from my computer option I hesitate since the firmware flash hasn't happened.

I'm new to lunix and I am looking forward for the education. Have scoped around this site for the month that I have owned the n800 and appreciate the group. Not being a freeloader I will collect information to set up yet another newbee how to. Seems like there can't be too many of them.

Thanks.

YoDude
2007-12-20, 02:27
When I get to the select from my computer option I hesitate since the firmware flash hasn't happened.

What hasn't happened?

When you get to the "the select from my computer option", click "browse", cruise over to where the "RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin" file is located on your computer, and rock on. :)

You are using the windows update wizard program, aren't you?

>>http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 02:30
Opps. When I was closing out I clicked next and it began the process. Said there was 2 minutes to do it and then stopped. complained of a loss connection so I started the wizard again and again it did it. Also now the n800 won't shut off. I pulled the battery and it won't boot up. In fact when recharging it stays on the nokia screeen, won't shut off when unplugged. What now?

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 02:35
YoDude: Thanks as you see I did try that. Wizard, got the correct .bin file. It just stopped. So my first question was about the "flasher" and what role it plays in upgrading. Tried the wizard again and got to the same spot. started up, predicted a 2 minute some event and closed down the usb connection and claimed a loss.

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 03:40
Update on my attempts: Downloaded new copies of the .bin and tried them both, that's 3 different copies, same action. One time hit the retry button for off the web and it connected! downloaded and went on for 20 minutes or so when it stopped.

when the update stops it says unable to complete, that file transfer was successful but either the usb connection was cut off or the file was corrupted.

leaves me with a brick.

fpp
2007-12-20, 07:20
Have you tried with a different host PC, or with different USB ports on your PC ?

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 09:53
Not a different host but moving with the different port suggestion. XP and wizard are excited. The install estimate 183 and 27! Moves along quick to 44 and some, dies. Take the retry option and it starts off at 19 min! Then goes backwards to 27 over the next 15 real minutes. Stalls. I disconnect the internet and start up the wizard. The answer to the question about whether or not it recharges when there is the white screen is no. Tablet dies.

OK.

Ideas? Suggestion?

don't put out an update you don't have the capacity to feed. make the install options available at every stage; no just jumping onto the net if you can without giving the option to install from disk. Let the beast charge from the usb port (even if it can't keep up, it's got to help) and let it charge while connected. Dah! Some sort of roll back, protection against a partial install borking the whole system.

Short: Don't come out to play with the big boys unless you are ready. Nokia doesn't seem to take the tablets very seriously. kind of step child status.

Me? What about me now? are there options other than retuning this? Can't charge is a big deal. I don't know anybody with one.

metroeloise
2007-12-20, 20:25
Since I started a tread over in the n800 section I am closing this one off and asking suggestions to be placed there. Thanks for the reading and "feeling my pain."