PDA

View Full Version : Photos of the 770's screen

yan
2006-02-13, 10:14
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum, so I would to says hello to everybody.

I am very attracted by the magnificient screen characteristics of the
Nokia 770. I bought one month ago a Dell x51v for its hardware
characteristics, even if a 3.7 inch size is not as I required.
My disappointment come from its screen in landscape mode.
As you can see from images of my x51v posted in a italian forum

(http://www.x50v.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=985&start=15)

you can understand my opinion.
My question is, does anybody can post photos of the 770 in
different angles so I can compare the screen of the 770 with
the one of the x51v? I think is a good reference since often
internet reviews from most popular magazines on the Internet
hides imperfections which are so evidents ...

Thank you.

Y.

Remote User
2006-02-13, 13:22
Here at ITT, look at the section called 'Gallery'.

Search Google 'Images' for the words 'Nokia 770' then you will find over 3,000 pictures.

The Nokia 770 display is the best you'll find.

richm
2006-02-13, 15:47
Here at ITT, look at the section called 'Gallery'.

Search Google 'Images' for the words 'Nokia 770' then you will find over 3,000 pictures.

The Nokia 770 display is the best you'll find.

Well, no, actually, that's not the case....

I have both the 770 and the Zaurus SL-C3000, and the C3000 has a *much* clearer and consistently lit display.

Just look the user photos in the gallery - in most of them, you can see the substantial dimming and stage-light effect on the right hand side of the 770's display, as has been discussed here, and on other sites. Not to mention the moire and "sparkle" effect from the touch screen overlay.

The 770 is nicer than most PDA displays out there, but it's still substantially inferior to the CG displays used on the later model Zauruses. Enough that the difference is really, really noticable. It's really a shame - if Nokia had used a display with a better backlighting system, it would have been almost perfect.

- Rich

fpp
2006-02-13, 16:25
I think these details are being exagerated - either that, or there is a wider-than-usual quality gradient between 770 units, and I chanced upon a good one... The Nokia's screen definitely has a smaller viewing angle than those on the Sharp Zaurii (of which I also have one, a 760): if you look at the 770 sideways you will see the mentioned artefacts. But if you look at it straight on (as intended, probably) it is simply gorgeous (with crisp text, bright colours and deep black). For me, any such difference with the CG displays (the real record-setter being that on the non-clamshell Z6000) is more than offset by the size and resolution.
YMMV, of course.

richm
2006-02-13, 17:04
I think these details are being exagerated - either that, or there is a wider-than-usual quality gradient between 770 units, and I chanced upon a good one... The Nokia's screen definitely has a smaller viewing angle than those on the Sharp Zaurii (of which I also have one, a 760): if you look at the 770 sideways you will see the mentioned artefacts. But if you look at it straight on (as intended, probably) it is simply gorgeous (with crisp text, bright colours and deep black). For me, any such difference with the CG displays (the real record-setter being that on the non-clamshell Z6000) is more than offset by the size and resolution.
YMMV, of course.

There is apparently a wide variation in quality control in the 770's - I've already had to return one because of the horrible stage-lighting. My newest one is better, but still very noticable. I had to go through a bunch of boxes with the clerk until I found one that was reasonably acceptable.

You can't use the Z 760 as a comparison - as I said, the later model Zauruses have much better screens, so that would include the C1K,C3Ks, and the 6K. The screens on the 760's and 860's are nowhere near the same class.

But, to the original poster - just check out the user gallery. And pay particular notice to the right-hand side of many of the displays, to see if you can tolerate the dimming and stage-lights. You generally can't see the moire patterns and sparkle effects in the photos, but again, they're still noticable enough that many people have commented on them.

- Rich

Remote User
2006-02-13, 17:16
if Nokia had used a display with a better backlighting system, it would have been almost perfect.
- RichI have seen nothing but praise everywhere I look for the Nokia display. My own experience is limited to the past weekend but I just don't see the point of using a product that costs more than double and is available only as an import to justify a view that the Nokia's display is not second-to-none - I think it is and this is the near-unanimous view according to everything I've read.

richm
2006-02-13, 18:15
I have seen nothing but praise everywhere I look for the Nokia display. My own experience is limited to the past weekend but I just don't see the point of using a product that costs more than double and is available only as an import to justify a view that the Nokia's display is not second-to-none - I think it is and this is the near-unanimous view according to everything I've read.

You may not see the point, but the devices are used by entirely separate markets - the clamshell Zauruses, are, for all intents and purposes, mini-laptops, while the 770 is more of something to keep next to the couch for impromptu browsing. Those are separate audiences, and each does well within it's target market.

I suspect that if you're seeing near-unanimous views that the 770 screen is second to none, it's because the people who are posting them simply don't know any better, because they haven't shelled out the bucks for a device with a truly good display. Seriously - can you honestly look at the user pics in the gallery, with their demonstrably uneven display and stage-lightning, and still assert that the 770 has the best screen? Even with multiple photographic examples from a wide variety of sources staring you in the face?

The 770 is just *so* close to being as good, particularly in regards to it's superior resolution, when a better backlight diffuser and better choice for the touchscreen layer would have put it over the top, that it's kind of sad Nokia didn't make the extra effort to do so.

Make no mistake - I like my 770 a lot, and it does fine as a couch-side browser. But I would have happily have paid $50 more for better display engineering.

- Rich

=DC=
2006-02-13, 18:24
I have to concur with Remote User on this one. The display is great in terms of the cost to quality ratio, and that goes for the entire device features in my opinion. I was going to get a x51v late last year, but decided to hold off and see what new devices came out in 2006. I'm glad I did, the 770 is the first device I've seen that does more than I expected it to. It is true that there will possibly be some great new mobile devices that will vie for the current possition that the 770 is at in the months to come, but I think there will be few if any that will get it right.

richm
2006-02-13, 18:50
I have to concur with Remote User on this one. The display is great in terms of the cost to quality ratio, and that goes for the entire device features in my opinion. I was going to get a x51v late last year, but decided to hold off and see what new devices came out in 2006. I'm glad I did, the 770 is the first device I've seen that does more than I expected it to. It is true that there will possibly be some great new mobile devices that will vie for the current possition that the 770 is at in the months to come, but I think there will be few if any that will get it right.

My hope is that Nokia built the 770 at this particular price point and with the current design choices simply to test the waters, and see if the market for an internet tablet is truly there. If it does reasonably well, then perhaps they'll come out with a new model that includes, among other things:

1) More RAM. 64MB under Maemo is really, really cutting memory to the bone, especially if they do end up coming out with IM and VOIP clients, as promised - and especially when you consider that the IM client, at least, will normally be used by people with it always running in the background, and thus consuming resources. As it is now, we can see many complaints about people having the browser crash with just a couple of windows open, etc. RAM is cheap, cheap, cheap, and you can never have enough of it.

2) Redesigned case: There's just too little space between left side of the rocker pad and the case, when the case is on. A flip cover that rotated completely flat against the back would be ideal - it could also serve as a built-in stand, with an appropriate ratchet
mechanism.

3) A stylus silo that doesn't require me to jockey the case around just to get the stylus in and out.

4) Software: The ~ 4 days of standby time is just ridiculous. Nokia really needs to utilize a more effective standby system, especially for something that is explicity designed not to be tethered to a desk. It's kind of pointless to have something that I can leave next to my couch, when I need to carry it back to the charger so frequently.

5) An IMAP client that can't handle folders? Who thought THAT was a good idea?

The biggest problem I see is that the 770 gets really good reviews in the "geek press" - but the "mainstream" publications that Joe Consumer usually reads - PC Magazine, etc - are not as positive. And, realistically, Joe Consumer needs to be the one buying these things in droves, if there's any hope of there being more substantial follow-on products.

- Rich

=DC=
2006-02-13, 19:15
Ah, yes. Very true on all points richm. I guess "hardcore geeks" such as ourselves may be the key to opening up the possibilities of the hardware through software, but the hardware maker has to present us with hardware that is suitable to the programing and testing environment that we are more accustomed to.

It would seem to me that we are spending more time complaining about how much memory the device doesn't have and less time working on ways to maximize the precious memory we do have. All of these ports of readily accessible Debian apps and games don't help us solve these problems, but merely postpone them for a while. Hopefully, it will allow enough time for Nokia and the Open Source development community to produce the neccessary optimised as well as original apps to satisfy the "mainstream" media and consumers.

We just need to start, that's all.

yan
2006-02-14, 11:26
Thanks all for your comments.

I bought the x51v mainly to read .pdf documents, to browse web pages
and to check my e-mails. But doing these operations is not as comfortably
as promised and the bad visualization in landscape is very uncomfortable.
The Windows Mobile 5 lack of good .pdf reader, the best I tested is
pocketxpdf which is an open source project, but it is very slow.
I ask if the 770 is a good device to render pdf file, that is does it give
to the user the same feeling on read pdf like in any notebook?
Thank to all again.
Y.

=DC=
2006-02-14, 13:13
In my experience, the pdf reader is quite comparable to desktop or laptop viewing. Due to memory constraints, it may run less smoother depending on the number of applications you run simultaneously. The size of the pdf file also can make an impact on memory of the 770. I guess it just depends on the person and their expectations of the device. Myself being a bit of a geek, of course I see some minute flaws of the 770 that others have noted. I usually adapt or find hacks to get around most issues.

Again, it really depends on what type of user you tend to be. Flexable, adaptive, hacker, or stubborn, unchanging, creature of habit. Both types are necessary in the world to keep a balance that drives innovation in the mobile device market.

richm
2006-02-15, 15:58
Thanks all for your comments.

I bought the x51v mainly to read .pdf documents, to browse web pages
and to check my e-mails. But doing these operations is not as comfortably
as promised and the bad visualization in landscape is very uncomfortable.
The Windows Mobile 5 lack of good .pdf reader, the best I tested is
pocketxpdf which is an open source project, but it is very slow.
I ask if the 770 is a good device to render pdf file, that is does it give
to the user the same feeling on read pdf like in any notebook?
Thank to all again.
Y.

The 770's PDF viewer is adequate for smaller PDF documents, but tends to bog down pretty badly with anything of meaningful size. My primary use for PDF's on portable devices is for reading PDF magazines ( Circuit Cellar, EPE, etc. ) that tend to include a mix of full-page images and text interspersed with graphics. They tend to run about 125 pages, or so. The 770's PDF reader is completely useless for them.

On the other hand, I have 2 devices - a Sony TH-55 and Zaurus 3K, that both have Picsel Viewer, and they handle the PDF's without a hiccup. The rendering is as faithful as the full-blown Adobe Reader on a desktop ( albeit the TH-55 is dog-slow ). Picsel Viewer has an extraordinarily non-standard interface, but once you figure out the icons, it works very, very nicely. It has the side benefit that it can also read Word, Excel, and other documents. I'd suggest seeing if you can get a version for the PocketPC. Picsel is normally bundled with devices, but I presume that you should be able to buy it separately, as well.

- Rich

chrwei
2006-02-15, 18:30
as far as percieved screen quality goes I'm not impressed. I understand the issue to be the higher resolution digitizer that is required due to the 800x480 screen cuases a grainy appearence. the LCD itself is not the problems. I also understand that tablet PC's have this same look.

=DC=
2006-02-15, 18:54
as far as percieved screen quality goes I'm not impressed. I understand the issue to be the higher resolution digitizer that is required due to the 800x480 screen cuases a grainy appearence. the LCD itself is not the problems. I also understand that tablet PC's have this same look.
I guess you'll just have to choose the lesser of two evils: hi-res screen/w grainy digitizer overlay (which isn't that grainy IMHO), or lower-res PDA screen without grainy overlay effect. I think to keep the price low enough for consumers, Nokia had to choose a more tried and true screen technology for the tablet. Maybe OLED technology will become cheaper and common enough in the near future to satisfy the needs of people such as yourself. Until then, we either get what's being served, or wait a little longer for technology to catch up to our expectations (which is ever changing I might add).

bhima
2006-02-17, 20:59

Nearly all of the Tablet PCs use a Wacom digitizer - it works with a special pen, and is _behind_ the LCD rather than in front of it. The only thing between the LCD and your eyes is a thick piece of glass to stop the pen from damaging the display.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe you are wrong about the 770's digitizer as well. I think its digitizer is an analog device, without a particular "resolution".

I think the artefacts visible on the 770's screen are primarily caused by the density of the pixels themselves. Personally, I'm very happy with the 770's screen, as has been everybody I've shown it to...

Supergeek
2006-02-17, 22:58
From my point of view, the grainy-ness of the LCD is only visible in large patches of very light pixels... Like a document with black text and white background.

FBreader, for example, defaults to black text on white background, and looks fairly ugly. White text on black background is much easier on the eyes, and would be even with a perfect screen.

I wonder if it saves battery, too, to use a mostly dark screen, or if the screen gets a universal power input depending on the brightness setting?

richm
2006-02-20, 16:44
From my point of view, the grainy-ness of the LCD is only visible in large patches of very light pixels... Like a document with black text and white background.

FBreader, for example, defaults to black text on white background, and looks fairly ugly. White text on black background is much easier on the eyes, and would be even with a perfect screen.

I wonder if it saves battery, too, to use a mostly dark screen, or if the screen gets a universal power input depending on the brightness setting?

The vast, vast majority of the power used in the LCD ( and, indeed, in most mobile devices as a whole ) is from the backlight. Turning it down to the lowest setting will make a noticable difference in battery life.

It doesn't really make any difference whether you use a dark on white, or white on dark color scheme, when it comes to power consumption, compared to the backlight requirements.

- Rich