PDA

View Full Version : Update Gone Bad Due to Stupidity

jeffreyt
2007-12-20, 21:56
I guess my title says it all, but I was updating three different N800's (I'm giving away two as gifts this Christmas) and I wasn't paying attention clicking buttons and inadvertently flashed the same OS 2008 update over again on one of the units. The other two are working great, but the one is stuck and will not boot up. (It's in a loop and I have to take the battery out)

My question at this point is should I try to reflash the same OS 2008file again (Would the result likely be any different?) or should I try to download a verson of OS 2007 (If the downloads ever start working again on the website) and start over.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jeff

kudos1uk
2007-12-20, 22:26
Just flash it again and it should be fine.

jeffreyt
2007-12-20, 22:54
Thank you for the prompt reply. I just tried it a couple of more times and it's still locked up so I may have bricked my unit. Just to make sure I guess I probably need to at least one time try to revert back to OS 2007, but with the server download issues, right now I can't access a previous version.

Thanks again.

Jeff

jeffreyt
2007-12-21, 01:11
Just a little FYI for those reading this post in the future.

I had to revert back to OS 2007 and then upgrade again to OS 2008. I could be totally wrong, but it's almost as if something in OS 2008 survives on the device even after reflashing. If I'm not mistaken, what I mistakenly did (reinstalling/flashing the same file over the top of itself again) should have still worked if everything was removed originally but it obviously didn't.

FYI- When I tried to re-install OS 2008 from OS 2007, in the update manager it thought the newest version (OS 2008) was already installed, but I went ahead and clicked next and it installed fine and now seems to be working okay. I think it did take longer to boot up this go around, but it did boot and that's the most important thing.

All is well that ends well and at least I'm up and running. I hope nobody does something as silly as I did, but at least now you have a potential solution. YMMV

Jeff