PDA

View Full Version : Download files corrupt? Attrib. to Download Traffic?

bleek
2007-12-20, 23:42
I finally got the n810 IT2008 update run last night and now I am slowly getting applications reinstalled. I am getting some downloads that fail and I know this would be the download timing out. I am however getting a seperate error sometimes with a Popup dialog that says the Install file was corrupt. Does anyone know what is causing this or if its related to the current traffic on the repos.?

geneven
2007-12-20, 23:57
Probably the corrupt file is another one that didn't download completely. It could be something else that the developer messed up or you did.

johsua
2007-12-21, 00:04
I am seeing this too. I also can't get the repository to properly refresh. Must be traffic related. This is using a fresh reflash of the latest 2008 w/out reinstating a backup. The first thing I tried was canola2 and it won't install. I get a gzip magic error. What is this - D&D?

iball
2007-12-21, 00:45
Just give up on installing anything over the net from the app manager for the next few months. Seems Nokia/Maemo aren't taking it seriously enough when it comes to bandwidth.

geneven
2007-12-21, 00:51
Ive installed MANY things using the App Manager, so saying it can't be done is a preposterous exaggeration.

gerbick
2007-12-21, 08:30
I think it should have been read as "Can't install anything right now"... I have updates for Skype and Pidgin that I can't even download at 12k filesize without it erroring out.

In fact, I've errored out so much that I'm waiting on a day/method to basically fully wipe my machine totally clean and start anew 100%.

Milhouse
2007-12-21, 08:42
Ive installed MANY things using the App Manager, so saying it can't be done is a preposterous exaggeration.

Exaggeration maybe, but not that wide of the mark. :)

The extras repository for me is still off limits and has been since the day of the release, so this significantly limits what I can install. It's consistent the same error, which is either due to lack of bandwidth and a timeout occuring, or the web server is screwed up due to 3 days of continuous load and needs a reboot. Even through a browser the extras repository is inaccessible.

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-21, 09:40
Just give up on installing anything over the net from the app manager for the next few months. Seems Nokia/Maemo aren't taking it seriously enough when it comes to bandwidth.

Hyperbole doesn't help here. Yes, there's a big issue with bandwidth for the Garage, Nokia repos, and tablets-dev, but it will not be lasting for the "next few months". :rolleyes:

Milhouse
2007-12-21, 09:50
Hyperbole doesn't help here. Yes, there's a big issue with bandwidth for the Garage, Nokia repos, and tablets-dev, but it will not be lasting for the "next few months". :rolleyes:

Not months, but possibly a week or two longer. With nobody acknowledging or taking ownership of the current problems - which may be due to corrupted caches/servers as much as limited bandwidth - and with Christmas coming up, and maemo.org doing a good impression of the Mary Celeste, it's quite possible that normal service won't be resumed for at least another week when someone returns to the office and cycles the server.

YoDude
2007-12-21, 10:09
Look for an "apt.archive" folder or some such on your memory cards and delete this along with clearing the "log" file in app manager then retry...
I avoided most of the repository mess by downloading the files for all my non-dependent debs manually from the apps garage homepages.
I snagged canola through the repository system yesterday morning @ 05:30 EST in about 20 minutes.

BTW, I also suspect many peeps have previously gone to Gronmayers list and simply selected "all" whether they needed the repo's or not... this may have exasperated the problem. IDKFS

bleek
2007-12-21, 15:48
For me it seems to be an obvious pattern. The larger the file size the more likely it times out during the download. Alas, I have installed some things but larger things like Python(2.5MB), Canola(9MB), and others fail. I really should wait and try it later but I am like a kid with a candy jar.

In light of the bandwidth issues, I think Nokia should spend a few bucks on some raid storage and load balancing and a few on some PR on the success of the Internet Tablet series. I wonder how many active users are out there based on the server logs.
Take a positive out of a negative.

conum
2007-12-21, 16:42
I have the same issues with canola2 and ukmp. It loads a lot of data, rather fast now (9.3MB / 5.5MB) in 20-30 secs, then the message "installationsdatei korrupt" which means in english: the install-file is corrupt.
I had this after a new flashing of os2008 without restoring anything from older installation.
I had this after loading repos from canola and / or maemo.
It's not only a bandwidth-issue, it's a real issue of one of the repos.

Edit: How to get a non-corrupt install-file??

JeffElkins
2007-12-21, 17:40
I just did a direct download of the fmradio deb to my pc and ar x does not recognize it as a debian archive. Just for chuckles I scp'd it to my nokia and of course dpkg refused to install it.

fmradio_1.5.7_armel.deb MD5Sum mismatch

cashel
2007-12-21, 18:01
The only items I have this "corrupt" problem with requires installing python as a prerequisite. Installing python standalone gives the same "corrupt" error.

luca
2007-12-21, 23:08
I just did a direct download of the fmradio deb to my pc and ar x does not recognize it as a debian archive.
Probably because it's not a debian package, but an html page telling that the service isn't available. As if apt-get would parse what it thinks is a package as html to inform the user....

Milhouse
2007-12-21, 23:52
The page should be sending back the appropriate HTTP response code, ie. 503 Service Unavailable, but predictably maemo.org couldn't get that right either, which is why apt-get is getting confused.

Wally
2007-12-26, 23:40
Well I'm glad (hope) it's not just me...

Having had a N810 for Christmas (finally replaced my N770), and upgraded to the latest version of OS2008, I was very happy until discovering that I cannot install either Maemo Mapper nor Canola - two major apps.

I get the 'installation file corrupted' message when I try loading either of them.

Anyone else had and/or solved this problem ?
Thanks

Walter

munky261
2007-12-27, 08:46
also , what is with the update to the built in map application that when i click on it it says the " software from a different soure and will likey harm your system message?

sakamoto
2007-12-28, 04:25
anyone have solved the problem? my have same problem can't install UKMP & Mapper!!

Saka

sakamoto
2007-12-28, 07:24
I think is related to this....

http://importluck.blogspot.com/2007/12/pymaemo-and-broken-repository.html

xPAKxMaster
2007-12-28, 08:39
Guys, the repositories are working for me, the only problem is that most of the apps require python as stated.

The real issue is NOT the traffic or bandwith of maemo! its the fact that half of the python debs like the pygame were improperly packaged when the were put on the server (chinook) and the python 2.5 deb package is actually missing!:confused:
i came to this conclusion when i searched the repo using ftp browsing, i was able to install almost all my apps but when i tried to download the python 2.5 deb it just replied that the file was missing... and when i tried to install the python components seperately they were not packaged for compatability with the app manager!

The only solution is hope that nokia/maemo grow up or someone generous hosts the python deb files somewhere else....

sakamoto
2007-12-28, 09:37
I totally agree to host the deb files somewhere else.....BUT not only python should be ALL. Or should Maemo change the way to install software, it should allow off-line install as normal install. Why have to centrally host these installer?? Single Point of Failure!!

I very disappointed to Nokia!!

xPAKxMaster:
Do you means when i see this error message "The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause." means the file is missing?

xPAKxMaster
2007-12-28, 10:23
xPAKxMaster:
Do you means when i see this error message "The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause." means the file is missing?

that may be, but when i did it, it just simply said the file could not be found...
i wouldn't doubt it especially since the message is quite odd :confused:

xPAKxMaster
2007-12-29, 07:41
yes yes YES!!!!!!! IHAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!
ps: if it was on a diff post don't tell me! let me enjoy my glory:p

easy to get python, uknmp, kagu to install in a breeze
1st-do what the uy above said and clear ur device of all the repo ALL OFF Them!

2nd- create a new repo in the app manager
-name it whateva u want
-type this url http://stage.maemo.org/extras
-here's the catch that made it impossible for apps to install, make sure th distribution box is EMPTY that's what made the app manager crash!
-components: free non-free
- that's it!

3rd- i recomend you install python runtime first as in case it fails again you allready will have what you need!

4th- Download and install all u want, it all works for me !!

i spend the last 3 hours experimenting untill it finally worked! i am going to make a thread of this announcement :D so all the new users have some guidance

Arara
2007-12-29, 08:29
yes yes YES!!!!!!! IHAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

Many, Many Thanks, xPAKxMaster !
Worked perfectly to me, too :D

eleseur
2007-12-29, 09:16
holy crap. it works!!! i can't believe i just installed python. thanks verrrrry much. you are the best. may the linux gods bless you for this wonderful fix. now, do we know how this fixed things? why does it crash when you put in a distro ?

xPAKxMaster
2007-12-29, 09:30
holy crap. it works!!! i can't believe i just installed python. thanks verrrrry much. you are the best. may the linux gods bless you for this wonderful fix. now, do we know how this fixed things? why does it crash when you put in a distro ?

to be frank i'm not sure at all:p but i think it is because some of the python dependencies were located somewhere else besides the chinook distribution and leaving it blank made the app manager search the whol repo for the dependencies...

sakamoto
2008-01-02, 02:04
my one can install UKMP & Mapper already without do any changes......I think they fixed the problem on the server!!