PDA

View Full Version : GP2X Pandora

johnkzin
2007-12-21, 03:45
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/gp2x-community-system-dubbed-pandora/

Linux based gaming portable, 4.3" 800x480 screen, dpad, 2 analog joysticks, qwerty keyboard, 2 SDHC slots, USB host and USB OTG, Wifi (b and g), TV-out.

Roc Ingersol
2007-12-21, 13:10
It's definitely in the same ballpark. Moreso than most everything else that gets lumped in this forum.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 14:10
I have already started a trust fund for a Pandora.

Me wantee.

gemniii42
2007-12-21, 14:35
Will it fit in a shirt pocket?

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 16:23
Will it fit in a shirt pocket?

That depends. White shirts, I don't see a problem, but it will certainly stick out on a hawaiian shirt.

LordFu
2007-12-21, 16:58
It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.

johnkzin
2007-12-21, 17:04
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 17:06
It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.

Personally, I'd preferred it without the keyboard (but with something like Cellwriter), but in view of the other goodies, I can live with it.

PS1 fullspeed emulation, N64 possible, Xwindows, two analog joypads, twin SDHC slots: All yummy. And if they can keep the price of EUR 268... oh boy.

Also, a lot better as a media player than the Itablet.

Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this (http://craiginator.bluwiki.com/go/Image:Pandora4.jpg)picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 18:11
It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

}:^j~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu
2007-12-21, 18:12
Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt
The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 18:20
Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this (http://craiginator.bluwiki.com/go/Image:Pandora4.jpg)picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...

I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu
2007-12-21, 18:35
It's been discussed, and the vast majority of PS1 games make very, very little use of the L2 and R2 buttons. It was basically a non-issue. I would have liked to see six face buttons, but it looks like it will be four. I understand why, but I still like six button configurations over four.

I edited my last post to respond to your previous post, FYI.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 18:38
I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Yeah, pro'lly shoulder buttons. Too bad, for once I thought a designer had actually had a good idea...

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 18:40
Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 18:48
I think the keypad is great.

1) The space would otherwise be unused.
2) The keypad makes it easy to perform certain functions (surfing the web, configuration, shell) possible without obscuring screen contents.
3) It allows for emulation of different types of games (old pc games -- kings quest, commodore games, etc) without crazy interface work-arounds, or add-on hardware.
4) This is at heart a hacker device. Not including a keypad (for shell access, remote access, script generation, etc) that could easily be included, would be an unnecessary handicap.

I'd LOVE bluetooth in this device. It opens it up to many different hardware combinations and extends its usefulness tremendously. IMO the argument of including bluetooth would be similar to the argument of including Mini-USB.

Also, USB charging would eliminate a hole in the device, which could be a secondary USB port.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 18:51
Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 18:54
Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!

True say! Seriously, the name is distinct and when branded correctly will not confuse as to the devices purpose.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

LordFu
2007-12-21, 19:17
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.
Well, whatever people are willing to port or design themselves will be available. I don't mean to be vague, but the sky is really the limit, I think.

They're talking about trying to stay compatible with the Debian arm-el (sp?) .deb's, which would make a lot of stuff available without any work. They've got some real linux gurus over there. Some of these guys coded a new GP2X firmware from scratch, which I consider pretty impressive.

Some people have suggested porting Maemo, which I think is a great idea, as I'm pretty fond of Maemo, myself. I think a KDE port is pretty likely, too. I'm really looking forward to what the community can come up with. There are some seriously talented guys in the community.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-21, 19:27
Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

:rolleyes:

(Seriously: I think I might follow you in there. This is some rad vapourware. I think I'm in love again <snif!>)

Capt'n Corrupt
2007-12-21, 20:58
Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

:rolleyes:

Haha.. I don't know *what* I was thinking!

In other news....

I just found out there are bluetooth SD devices (http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/palm_bluetooth_sdio_expansion_card_review) on the market. Though most of the are discontinued, if supported, will provide a wireless option for external devices. I'd love to use Pandora as a mobile voip device, and it looks as though this will be possible.

Yes, I too am in love again!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

asqwasqw
2007-12-21, 21:05
i dont like the keyboard, but thats only because it takes up too much space
i love the idea, and if this thing is really what they say its gonna be, then i'm onboard for sure

LordFu
2007-12-21, 22:09
Seriously, they're taking suggestions on the keyboard. Go, tell 'em what you think!

luca
2007-12-21, 23:22
It's using a newer design of similar hardware.
Will it have closed source cra^H^H^Hdrivers or everything will be open/documented?

ArnimS
2007-12-22, 13:02
go to the "our new machine" thread on the gp32 forums and tell em you'll buy it if they get Maemo/ITOS on it.

They're fixin to do their own minimalist OS crap on it, which will totally hamstring it for general purpose use.

If they go with maemo, the internet tablet community will get a bunch of awesome emulators.

Huge win-win potential for both communities.

ArnimS
2007-12-22, 18:58
Pandora mockup videos - see how the Dpad and analog controls are well placed for thumbs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxN3DmFZXF0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOYRy8_D1cI

kotzkind
2007-12-22, 20:57
Pandora mockup videos - see how the Dpad and analog controls are well placed for thumbs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxN3DmFZXF0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOYRy8_D1cI

But what about the touchsreen? I don't think you can use it too good.

Karel Jansens
2007-12-22, 21:59
But what about the touchsreen? I don't think you can use it too good.

Why not? I use the touch screen on my Psion Series 5mx, and even on my new Netbook, without any problem. Both those devices are a clamshell-cum-keyboard design and at least one is significantly larger than the Pandora-to-be.

It all boils down to user interface design...

LordFu
2007-12-23, 00:09
The reason for a minimal os is to leave the maximum amount of resources available for programs. It will be up to the community to port other environments, but I stll consider a port of maemo to be pretty likely.

I'm sure the system will be as open as possible. Unfortunately, some hardware vendors still don't "get it" when it comes to F/OSS.

ArnimS
2007-12-25, 16:46
From the wiki it seems they'll go for 'Open2x' and be compatible with debian-arm.

So yes - a minimal program launcher and not much else.

That might make it less of a competitor for the tablets, less application integration, less out-of-the-box stuff running on it.

Would be nice for the tablets if their emus would run on ITOS... but then again... until Nokia makes something with a decent dpad, it's somewhat pointless.

johnkzin
2007-12-26, 01:04
if they're both debian arm, and both x-windows, then that might make them able to share some of the most basic applications ... the question is how much maemo requires a gui-app to be hildonized in order for the binary to run and be functional.

LordFu
2007-12-26, 03:30
Multiboot would be the way to go.

ArnimS
2007-12-30, 04:17
Well I can't speak with authority to this, but iirc debian arm packages are incompatible with maemo. Maemo uses armel eabi and debian arm uses the arm. Or something like that.

So from my (daily) chats with the core developers over there, it's not looking likely that they'll license some kind of maemo for it.

However, it *does* address those points that make the Nokia tablets problematic for emulators and games. If I can swing the purchase price of one, I'll be looking into bringing a package or two from pandora-land over into ITOS-land, as the hardware is much closer to the tablets than the gp2x.

I can really find nothing to fault with the design, given the manufacturing cost and patent constraints they face. And I'm pleased as punch that they were able to switch their design to OMAP3430 after I mentioned it in their forum.

Is it a competitor to the tablets? Lacking bluetooth and an integrated UI (like hildon), a large portion of tablet customers would probably prefer to stick with Nokia. However for the customer that wants a games-capable device in a pocket form factor, that can also run a wide range of linux software, it will be very hard to beat in 2008.

janozaurus
2007-12-30, 16:36
Will there be games for this "gaming platform"? Emulators are nice for geeks but a device which can probably emulate some old gaming consoles doesn't make a gaming platform, does it? (Otherwise any Linux distribution is a gaming platform)

Karel Jansens
2007-12-30, 18:11
Will there be games for this "gaming platform"? Emulators are nice for geeks but a device which can probably emulate some old gaming consoles doesn't make a gaming platform, does it? (Otherwise any Linux distribution is a gaming platform)

This post means that you simply don't grok the GP2X and the Pandora. Get a PSP and don't worry about this thread.

kotzkind
2007-12-30, 18:26
Well I can't speak with authority to this, but iirc debian arm packages are incompatible with maemo. Maemo uses armel eabi and debian arm uses the arm. Or something like that.

There is a armel port of Debian.
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

repo:
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main

Some apps work fine in OS2008. Other can't be installed because they break the dependencies of the Maemo packages

Whole debian even works on the 770

ArnimS
2008-01-03, 23:22
There is a armel port of Debian.
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

repo:
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main

Some apps work fine in OS2008. Other can't be installed because they break the dependencies of the Maemo packages

Whole debian even works on the 770

Thanks for the useful info. Spent some time talking to their OS guy yesterday and all I can share atm is that it will be 'as open as possible'.

TTgowings
2008-02-28, 15:10
This devvice is looking better all the time, I can really afford about 1 gadget a year and right now this may edge out that GOW SE. RED PSP slim coming out in a couple of months.

I'm really ready to see/hear some "ANY" news on the next NIT, but it'll be a definate miss if Nok cooninues to put the friggin D-pad (and other useful buttons) on the slide oout tray and not on the front/sides/top etc. like the was on the 770 & N800.

And Asus with their EEE Pc (as funny as this may sound I'm in the current beliefe that the Asus is less cheaper look-feel overall then the Everex Cloudbook) seems to be looking more of a possibility if things don't start a changing on the NIT front.

I currently have my N800, Nintendo DS Lite, GBA-SP. GBA-Micro, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PS2, dreamcast and a Pantech DUO smartphone, (nice phone but the MS mobile platform is horrible) a P4 XP mach and a core2 duo Vista mach. (Vista's more trouble then it's worth some days)

And from all accts they'll be a new Nintendo handheld coming out before the end of the year and also look to expect v3 of the Zune (finally) to go with the rescent announcement (finally again !) they'll be bringing "some" Xbox live arcade titles along with XNA games as well, Also still up in the air with MS' live anywhere service/feature to tie in with mobile gaming across many platforms, phones (smart), PAD'd, and still a slight chance MS will still (finally) release their own HH gaming device.

On certain times and day'sI think I shoulda jumped on the Apple puppet wagoon and gotten an iPhone but since already having an N800 at their launch it judt wasn't a good enough fit for me.

Sometimes it's nice too grab your tech and actually be able to just use it and it'd work.

And I'm still looking for that elusive 1 gadget to rule them all but I just don't see anything currently on the horrizon. :-C It just gets really difficult knowing I'll only be able to get 1 "new" gadget for the year so the one that can provide me with the most(est) bang for the buck will probably get my long saved money for this year.

sherifnix
2008-03-13, 14:08
http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

Oh snap, the PCB is pictured. Its coming to fruition :) Where is Karel!?

Karel Jansens
2008-03-13, 14:44

Sorry. I've been out, worshipping the God Craigix.

He likes bunnies...

Benson
2008-03-13, 15:28
From the wiki it seems they'll go for 'Open2x' and be compatible with debian-arm.

Seems an unfortunate choice; if they'd gone debian-armel, it might be N900 compatible (with some extra libs installed on both, no doubt). The ability to one-shot port apps to both platforms would probably help both communities. Did you discuss that option with their OS guy?

qwerty12
2008-03-13, 15:38
I think Pandora will be a nice gaming device. I think I would relegate all my N800 games on to it and get a load of emulators etc. I would still use my N800 for internet however.

Although, I want to still get a PSP Lite to replace my broken PSP.

tso
2008-03-13, 16:39

now thats geek porn! :D

TTgowings
2008-03-13, 17:31
Are they still on-track for a April/May release ?

Michiel
2008-03-18, 20:29
Are they still on-track for a April/May release ?

The message on the website sems to have changed:
When and where can I buy it?
Sometime around April/May 2008 (for developers) and June/July (for casual users) via UK, USA, Germany and Turkey.

So I guess the answer is no, for all regular people (like myself) :(

Karel Jansens
2008-03-18, 21:06
The message on the website sems to have changed:
When and where can I buy it?
Sometime around April/May 2008 (for developers) and June/July (for casual users) via UK, USA, Germany and Turkey.

So I guess the answer is no, for all regular people (like myself) :(

It has always been april-may for the developers (the build it yourself version) release. This is the first time we're given a release date for the general version.

If you want yours early, just convince the developing team that you deserve an early one.

BOFH
2008-04-16, 12:50
Has anybody on here gotten there hand of a Dev board yet?
Would really like it know first impressions of this system....

Bundyo
2008-05-11, 20:34
If anyone is interested:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/11/pandora-prototype-demoed-screen-turns-on/

Karel Jansens
2008-05-11, 22:28
If anyone is interested:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/11/pandora-prototype-demoed-screen-turns-on/

Dammit! I don't want all that publicity. The first production run is only 3,000 pcs; if too many people know about it, I'm going to have to wait for the second run.

So shuddup aweady! ;)

BOFH
2008-05-13, 14:22
Ahhh..., It looks like the Pandora and EEE with Atom CPU will be launched at almost the same time...., My bank balance will not like like.

But I think that will also spell the end for my N800 :/

sherifnix
2008-05-14, 03:20
Ahhh..., It looks like the Pandora and EEE with Atom CPU will be launched at almost the same time...., My bank balance will not like like.

But I think that will also spell the end for my N800 :/

I would take a peek at the Linux MSI Wind btw. $399 US!

I'll pickup a Pandora when the apps are mature, I won't be early adopting this one.

Rebski
2008-09-02, 10:37
There is an interview here with UK distributor Graig Rothwell
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Pandora/news.asp?c=8667

it contains a lot of background and current information.

Pre-orders can be made at the end of September via http://openpandora.org. The first production run is only 3000 units so be quick.

Bundyo
2008-09-02, 13:17
Yeah, there's also an article on Engadget on around Christmas release date and price of around £200.

johnkzin
2008-09-02, 14:14
Is there an RSS feed from their site, so you can keep up on news? Not just the developer blog, but "hey, we started accepting pre-orders today!" or something like that level of news? ... I know, wishful thinking.

But, at that price, I could almost consider it to be a donation to an open source project, even if the device never meets my needs. (though, I don't doubt that it could)

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-02, 14:18
Is there an RSS feed from their site, so you can keep up on news? Not just the developer blog, but "hey, we started accepting pre-orders today!" or something like that level of news? ... I know, wishful thinking.

There's a mailing list for it.

johnkzin
2008-09-02, 14:23
yeah. I saw that. Rather have an RSS feed for it. That way it doesn't clutter up my mailbox(es).

Karel Jansens
2008-09-02, 17:12
yeah. I saw that. Rather have an RSS feed for it. That way it doesn't clutter up my mailbox(es).
Subscribers to the preorder mailing list will receive one message and one only. It'll be something like this: "It's ready. You can order now."

I don't know how low your clutter threshold is, but I can easily live with that.

jchord
2008-09-08, 03:34
I am defiantly buying one of these as soon as they are available! it looks great!

Benson
2008-09-08, 03:45
I am defiantly buying one of these as soon as they are available! it looks great!

Who or what will you be defying?

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 04:20

I'm interested to know, out of all the people proclaiming their desire to purchase one of these devices, how many of you can tell me what sort of software it will be shipping with?

Benson
2008-09-08, 05:30
Well, I'm not committed, and I can tell you all relevant details.

It will be Linux!
It will be Free!

Of course, same goes for Softlanding; someone should get working on an SLS port for the NITs...

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 05:38
It will be Linux!
It will be Free!

Yes, but it wont include a web browser, PIM functionality or any neat scrolly bits.

My point is, I think a lot of the people expressing interest here don't quite understand what the Pandora actually represents.

Bundyo
2008-09-08, 07:10
It WILL have a PSX emulator from what I've watched. :)

It'll be interesting what will Sony have to say about that... :D

iamthewalrus
2008-09-08, 08:01
Yes, but it wont include a web browser, PIM functionality or any neat scrolly bits.

My point is, I think a lot of the people expressing interest here don't quite understand what the Pandora actually represents.

What would stop someone from porting Debian or Android to it?

lardman
2008-09-08, 08:17
It depends on whether the driver source code is freely available. I'm quite sure something like Angstrom could be made to run on it, but that's not much use if you can't use wifi/bt/powervr/etc.

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 08:22

Nothing, of course, Ångstrom, Debian, and Ubuntu should install fairly easily (as can be seen with the Beagle Board hardware). The issue is that this isn't just like flashing a new version of Maemo. There'll be a fair amount of work involved (partitioning SD cards, setting up the bootloader, getting the correct kernel compiled, either installing x distro somehow or expanding a tarball onto a particular partition). None of these things sound like stuff somebody like Karel would be very interested in (he's been quite insistent on his non-technicality in the past), and I doubt many of the other people understand quite what's involved, either.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll likely be getting myself a Pandora alongside the N900 (despite the sad fact that all and I'll be doing all sorts of stupid hacky stuff with it, but that's me. Not everybody has the time or interest to play around like that.

In summary, those looking for a very consumer-friendly package should look elsewhere. ;)

It depends on whether the driver source code is freely available. I'm quite sure something like Angstrom could be made to run on it, but that's not much use if you can't use wifi/bt/powervr/etc.

Well, for the PowerVR at least, the Beagle (which runs an identical OMAP3530) is getting drivers around November, so there shouldn't be any issues with using those for other distributions.

Bundyo
2008-09-08, 08:26

At least for Android that should be the lack of sources (at least for now :)

lcuk
2008-09-08, 09:02
Well, for the PowerVR at least, the Beagle (which runs an identical OMAP3530) is getting drivers around November, so there shouldn't be any issues with using those for other distributions.

This sounds suspiciously familiar.
Why does it seem like nobody has any drivers *now* for any of the hardware (omap 2 or 3)?

Seriously, its like a running joke - networking needs to be done and Ti/ImgTech need to get their act together and release something.

I thought *I* was bad for holding back on releases, but I'm a n00b and still learning, whats their excuse?

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 09:05
This sounds suspiciously familiar.
Why does it seem like nobody has any drivers *now* for any of the hardware (omap 2 or 3)?

Familiar how? We haven't ever been promised drivers. :p The OMAP3530 will be getting them. Besides, lots of people have drivers for both OMAP2 and OMAP3. As I recall, all the OMAP2 S60 phones ship with them. ;)

Seriously, its like a running joke - networking needs to be done and Ti/ImgTech need to get their act together and release something.

Blame Imagination Technologies for being a piece of ****. TI's only to blame for using their stuff.

jchord
2008-09-08, 10:53
lol Besonn I need to learn to watch what I type. Software wise as long as it boots upon release it will be fine for me. The community for them is very large. besides take a look at some of the videos of the mk0 in action there is quite a lot that will run so far. I am a big arcade game fan so it is looking good to me. The wiki also says the the ps1 emulator (psx4pandora i think is what they called it) runs at more than full speed. Also another big reason of mine to get it is the pandora's 4000mah battery kicks the nits where it hurts.

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 10:56
4000mah battery kicks the nits where it hurts.

At the expense of size, of course.

One could make a 10000mAh battery, but where would that get you, really, except huge?

jchord
2008-09-08, 11:13
At the expense of size, of course.

One could make a 10000mAh battery, but where would that get you, really, except huge?

very true and for most people that smaller battery is fine. I use my nit almost nonstop 7 hours a day 5 days a week. So for me a larger battery is still better that an external battery pack.

The Pandora will not replace my nit they are two very different devices with different intentions. I just wish that nokia offered a li-pol extended battery that would stick out a bit. That would make it easer on me. That is my one and only disappointment with the nits.

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 11:14
The Pandora will not replace my nit they are two very different devices with different intentions. I just wish that nokia offered a li-pol extended battery that would stick out a bit. That would make it easer on me. That is my one and only disappointment with the nits.

There is an aftermarket one in the 3400mAh range available for the N810. . . .

jchord
2008-09-08, 11:17

ya I saw that but i use a n800 :(

fpp
2008-09-08, 13:34

You mean the external charger packs that have been discussed in several threads, right ? Not something that would more or less fit inside the tablets (like Sharp did for some Zaurus models) ?

In which case it wouldn't matter if it's a 770, N800 or N810...

sjgadsby
2008-09-08, 13:39
You mean the external charger packs that have been discussed in several threads, right ?

No, he means the Mugen Power 3600mAh battery for the N810 (http://shop.eten.hu/mugen-power-3600mah-extended-battery-nokia-n810-with-battery-door-blue-p-475.html), which comes with a larger battery cover. It's under discussion in the n810 extended battery thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=166694#post166694).

brontide
2008-09-08, 14:15
the pandora's 4000mah battery kicks the nits where it hurts.

You are presuming the same battery draw between the two devices.

Bundyo
2008-09-08, 14:29
According to aunt Wiki Pandora will be 140x83x27mm. I can easily visualize it to have 4000mah battery, but i have problems visualizing it in my shirt pocket :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

Does anybody know how much this thing will weight?

lardman
2008-09-08, 14:38
I like the size, hope the screen takes up a reasonable amount of that.

So the $64k question, will it actually come out before the Nokia N900 (or whatever it might be called, whenever it might come out)? ;)

fpp
2008-09-08, 14:50
No, he means the Mugen Power 3600mAh battery for the N810 (http://shop.eten.hu/mugen-power-3600mah-extended-battery-nokia-n810-with-battery-door-blue-p-475.html), which comes with a larger battery cover. It's under discussion in the n810 extended battery thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=166694#post166694).

Ah, thanks for that - I ran a search on "3400mAh" as per GA's quote, so it didn't come out, strangely :-)

sjgadsby
2008-09-08, 14:57
I ran a search on "3400mAh" as per GA's quote...

The General has "34xx" burned into his brain due to OMAP. You'll have to excuse him.

LordFu
2008-09-08, 15:19
I'm interested to know, out of all the people proclaiming their desire to purchase one of these devices, how many of you can tell me what sort of software it will be shipping with?

Custom 2.6.x linux kernel running a hardware accelerated kdrive, with a GMenu2x (http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/page/GMenu2X)-like, scriptable menu for launching apps.

The beagle-board boots ubuntu, and there's some discussion as to whether ubuntu should be available as an alternate purchasing option.

The developers ran a poll on whether the community wanted them to focus their development resources towards a more advanced gui, games, or something else I can't recall. The GUI option won, by a huge margin. They're currently putting most of their resources into this simpler kdrive setup to release with the system, and they then plan on working on something "more advanced".

It's all a little vague, right now, but pre-orders begin at the end of the month. They've promised videos of the device in action, before then. Look for something to show up on the blog, before October.

As for battery life, 10 hours is the official figure.

jchord
2008-09-08, 18:55
You are presuming the same battery draw between the two devices. no i expect the Pandora to draw more but 1500mah vs 4000mah is quite a difference. As stated on the Pandora site about 10 hours of gaming or 100 hours of music playback sounds good to me.

fpp
2008-09-08, 21:42
OMG ! And does that hurt ?... :-)

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-08, 23:44
You are presuming the same battery draw between the two devices.

Actually, they should be in a similar ballpark. The Pandora will likely have a higher peak consumption (due to more of the OMAP cores being in use), but overall, the OMAP3 is in the same consumption range as the OMAP2 and most of the peripherals are very similar.

The only other factor is the Pandora's use-case, which is as an emulator machine. This, of course, means much higher consumption on average.

lcuk
2008-09-09, 00:54
if i get my hands on one of these I would want to do more than emulating :)

Its just wasted potential to buy the newest fastest greatest and insult it by running it at an apparent fraction of its capabilities.

If you think it goes fast when emulating, imagine how fast its gonna go natively.

GeneralAntilles
2008-09-09, 01:01
if i get my hands on one of these I would want to do more than emulating :)

Just make sure you get yourself a discount code. ;)

Benson
2008-09-09, 01:13
Actually, they should be in a similar ballpark. The Pandora will likely have a higher peak consumption (due to more of the OMAP cores being in use), but overall, the OMAP3 is in the same consumption range as the OMAP2 and most of the peripherals are very similar.

The only other factor is the Pandora's use-case, which is as an emulator machine. This, of course, means much higher consumption on average.
I'd expect the power drain in the music-playing case, though, to be at least as low for the Pandora; same amount of work, on a processor twice as fast, means the clock will be running about half the time; that should cover for any residual power draw from hungrier peripherals. This jives well with the ratio of game hours to music hours; 10:1 for Pandora, and (estimated) 4:1 for N800.