PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Plug-in requests...

YoDude
2007-12-22, 01:48
C2 is an excellent app, We just popped the N800 in to the kitchen's sound system (portable "banshee") and hit "play random " while we prepared dinner and rocked on. :)

A feature I miss that would be a great plug in would be "Cross Fade" between songs...

handful
2007-12-22, 10:57
Hi YoDude...
Actually I personally asked the dev dudes for 2 things (requested before by you guys)

1) cross fade
2) gapless playblack.

But believe it or not, gstreamer is not in a good shape to do that. We experimented a lot, but it was not in a good shape to do so, (loading the 2 files on the memory etc) and we ended up with a working version. DRAWBACK: it used LibXine : / and we didn't want to place one more media engine there..etc so we removed. Once we can do it we will add it.

Thanks!

Keep them coming

stooo
2007-12-22, 23:28
Can I first say that so far, I'm pretty impressed with this beta. The GUI is lovely and think the team have got the usability pretty close to spot on. It's definately along the right lines.

I'm a big fan of the ipod touch, but, thus far, think I like C2 better as a concept interface.

A few things I'd like to see:
zooming slider for photo viewer -
I like the way the thumbnails display in the photo viewer. the "old photo album" idea is a lovely touch... when you view in full screen, I'd love to have a zoom slider along the bottom of the screen to go with the rotate buttons etc.

upnp support -
I think this is coming in a later release, I hope so anyway. I've got a linux server in the house broadcasting a upnp media library. I can view this in the n800 built in media player ... so would love to see this in C2.

easy cover art... perhaps -
This has been discussed a fair bit on the forum, but I'd like to add an interest in seeing a feature to be able to download cover art for albums on the device.

a button to sync all podcasts -
Having a button somewhere to sync all new episodes of subscribed podcasts would be nice.

easier config outside of app ... web interface ? -
I guess the plan is not to need any kind of config outside of the app, but it might be nice for adding internet radio URLs and podcast streams etc.

easy choosing of video player software -
I've switched to using OSM Media player rather than MPlayer for video playback... little bit fiddly to go editing the config file to do that though. Would be good to just have an option in the settings to choose default apps.

youtube plugin -
Speaks for it's self really... kinda like appleTV would be great.

last FM plugin...Vagalume? -
I'm a big fan of the Vagalume app... so a plugin for lastFM would be brilliant.

RSS reader -
The built in RSS reader is one of my most used apps, but it's not exactly pretty... would be good to have an RSS plugin for C2... with the ability to add RSS URLS in the settings.

Web Browser -
while I'm thinking about web (RSS), a launcher for the browser from C2 would be great... with a bookmark list within C2.

That's about all I can think of just now... but this list is testiment to how much I want to use this app!!

Keep up the good work :)

Stooo :D

e-motion
2007-12-23, 00:59
My top 4 features I'd love to have in Canola :

1) zoom slider in full screen picture mode (as mentioned earlier)
2) gapless playback (already talked about, but a BIG +1 on that)
3) automatic thumbnails generation for videos
4) UPNP implementation

Also, for album covers, couldn't the python script be implemented as a plug-in ? Wouldn't that shield you from legal ramblings if you don't provide it with Canola but the end user has the ability to run python scripts as plug-ins ? That script is perfect for me otherwise, as I don't have most of the album covers for my rips. It's far from user-friendly but I guess it will work for now.

munky261
2007-12-23, 01:26
to the above poster that said he used the bundled media player for video , how you get it to work , i uninstalled m player , but it wouldnt play videos in canola 2 once i did that

stooo
2007-12-23, 11:26
@munky261...
you need to edit the config file in /user/.atabake/
change gereral = mplayer
to
general = oms
you'll need to gain root access to be able to edit the file. I found it easier to ssh in from my macbook to do it.

more details here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13616

barbieri
2007-12-23, 16:47
@e-motion:
UPnP: We do have implemented, it will be released as open source plugin so others can base their work on it to create new data acquisition plugins, as MPD, Flickr, Youtube, ... It was not released now due some factors, one of them is that it's not working with some servers, another is that we wanted to avoid report on it so we can focus on the core work...
albumcover.py as integrated plugin: yes, we even have a "cli" module in python-terra that will do that, it will run any application with some standard command line parameters (like: --artist=X --album=Y) and then we think we might have legal problems resolved, but this solution was thought and almost implemented 1-2 days before we released the software to you, so it was not tested or analyzed by the legal department... but yes, you can expect something like this to be our solution.
Thumbnail for videos as above, we plan to have it as a command line plugin, this is because our thumbnailer uses mplayer, which we cannot rely on being installed, if we use gstreamer, it will not handle divx, so we need to have something changeable... lack of time is PITA ;-)

rhouge
2008-01-11, 17:08
ORB!

I agree, Canola2 beta is pretty polished as it stands, just waiting for some of the plugins now...

Bom Trabalho, Great Job guys!

handful
2008-01-11, 21:05
I think it's great that you guys actually have the same "needs" as we expected =) it makes us really eager to finish the third party plugin support asap, because unfortunately we cannot do all of those, but for sure when the support is ready people will see how simple it is to do so.

For example : I would love to see vagalume (it's already python) and the flickr / picasa exporter (it's python) ported. It would be great and that way people would not say that we are trying to "kill the other projects"=)

I wish they are happy to port it =)

Br

Marcelo

fpp
2008-01-11, 21:17
...and there's also pyFMradio... for the N800 :-)

edit: Marcelo, did you get those PMs I sent you in answer to yours, last month ? (just checking)

Traecer
2008-01-11, 21:35
Scrobbling!

atlas95
2008-01-11, 21:38
a Lastfm plugin ! :)

fpp
2008-01-11, 21:44
The app Marcelo was speaking of (Vagalume) is a python Lastfm client that maybe could be ported as a C2 plugin...

handful
2008-01-11, 22:20
Yeah =)

Seems that last.fm is quite popular indeed (I do use it) =) shoreserenity.
The scrobble is just not ready because the media engine needs to "public" announce that has changed music, it's in the X seconds and bla bla bla. So instead of doing a hack we chose to make it right =) but it takes time and the scanner / player bugs are in the queue =)

But looks that it should be more than just scrollbling =) *we actually have even the icons ready for 2 months now =)

Br

Marcelo