PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: How to fix Maemo Extras Repository

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-23, 19:08
Thanks to the keen eye of AdmJo - It appears that the Maemo Extras repository issue can be easily fixed! :D

One only needs to change the url in the application catalog to:

http://repostory.maemo.org/extras/

Basically, you'll just remove the letter "I" in repository.

Yay!

technut
2007-12-23, 19:19
NOTE: The above is a TEMPORARY workaround.
If you edit your repository entries you'll likely need to undo the change sometime later when they fix the server issue at maemo. Just keep that in mind if it suddenly STOPS working... that may mean it is time to change it back again.

Here's admjo's original post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114451&postcount=18), if you want to add your "Thanks!" to him.

Update:
Here's a simpler way to fix this

No need to edit your existing repository entries! Below is a "Click to install!" that will add the needed changes as two new "TEMPORARY" repositories to your Application Manager. When maemo gets fixed you can just delete these two repositories.

http://technut.canada.googlepages.com/install_button_small.png
http://technut.canada.googlepages.com/temp_repository.install (http://technut.canada.googlepages.com/temp_repository.install)

For anyone who might worry about what you are downloading/installing from my link, here's the (very simple) contents:[catalogues]
catalogues = 1; 2

[1]
name = TEMPORARY maemo Extras
uri = http://stage.maemo.org/extras/
dist = chinook
components = free non-free

[2]
name = TEMPORARY Maemo Chinook
uri = http://stage.maemo.org/
dist = chinook
components = free non-free

habtool
2007-12-23, 19:51
I may be wrong but a few repos need that 'i' dropped.

I needed to do it for the one above and the extra-devel and also the maemo chinook one.

will be a bit of trial and error for each person, if a repo is giving errors, dropped the 'i' and refresh again to see if that resolves problem, if not add the 'i' back again etc

good luck and thanks guys!

BoxOfSnoo
2007-12-23, 19:59
You can also become root and do this:

echo 62.61.85.32 repository.maemo.org >> /etc/hosts

As long as nokia doesn't change the server address it will work for all repos at once.

technut
2007-12-23, 20:09
echo 62.61.85.32 repository.maemo.org >> /etc/hosts
As long as nokia doesn't change the server address it will work for all repos at once.That solution is going to be harder to UNDO for most people if Nokia ever changes the server IP address. Changing it in the App Manager is probably a better solution for most unless they are comfortable with editing files using vi later.

brendan
2007-12-23, 20:35
so what is this a DNS/hostname error, or is the repostory.maemo.org an actve/active failover? (note my delicious pun...)

mungbean
2007-12-23, 20:57
Yes! Python at last!

Happy Hackmas!

technut
2007-12-23, 21:07
Edited my post #2 to add a "Click to Install!" way to do this.

YoDude
2007-12-23, 21:11
Thanks PCQ for putting AdmJo's burried post up front where it was needed.

And thanks JoAnne the sys admin with 1 post(guess :p ) for the Sunday work around.

Also Tech: Will future updates to apps installed this way complain of not coming from the same source?

BoxOfSnoo
2007-12-23, 21:22
That solution is going to be harder to UNDO for most people if Nokia ever changes the server IP address. Changing it in the App Manager is probably a better solution for most unless they are comfortable with editing files using vi later.

True, if you don't know what it's doing, don't do it.

^ absolute rule for working as root, BTW :)

(If you did it already, you can edit your /etc/hosts file with something like joe or pico. Find the line - likely at the end - and remove it. If you prefer vi, why are you reading these instructions?)

technut
2007-12-23, 21:33
Also Tech: Will future updates to apps installed this way complain of not coming from the same source?I don't think it will be treated any differently than if you edited the original entries, but maybe someone more familiar with Debian installs can confirm.

linuxrebel
2007-12-23, 21:47
I don't think it will be treated any differently than if you edited the original entries, but maybe someone more familiar with Debian installs can confirm.

Technut is right, debs don't care where the last/next one came from. The only (outside of app manager) care about if they themself match the key signature for their point of origin this time.

megabyte405
2007-12-24, 06:15
I have heard, however, that if you install from App Manager 2008, it will whine if you try to upgrade from another repo. In this way, the /etc/hosts workaround is safer, since the repository is still the same.

Speedy
2007-12-24, 09:12
wow thanks, i don't really understand this, but it works. It seems to be a fallback server for any misspelled server names

http://xyz.maemo.org/extras/

is redirected to 62.61.85.32 and also works fine

lethalphelon
2007-12-24, 09:57
Can we put this in terms that people like me (Slow) can understand. Youtube seems to be the way to go. Maybe make youtube videos or any type of video walking the people like me through the process of fixing these problems on their device. I know that would be very helpful to someone like me. Thanks:)

YoDude
2007-12-24, 11:34
Can we put this in terms that people like me (Slow) can understand. Youtube seems to be the way to go. Maybe make youtube videos or any type of video walking the people like me through the process of fixing these problems on their device. I know that would be very helpful to someone like me. Thanks:)

(sigh)

OK here goes...

1. Set up your camera on an angle to the device so you wont get in the way of the shot.

2. Compose the shot in the view finder to frame the tablet and hit record.

3. Now hit the home screen icon for apps on the tablet. (usually third one down on the left.)

4. Scroll to "settings" and hit "application manager".

5. Hit the menu button on the device. (the middle button between the arrow and the home icon buttons)

6. Tap "tools" with your stylus, then "application catalog".

7. On the newly opened screen scroll to "Maemo Extras", once it is highlighted hit edit.

8. On the "Catalog details" page highlight the web address field to start the key board, then backspace over the "i" in "repository" removing the "i" and leaving the just the characters "http://repostory.maemo.org/extras/" in this field.

9. Hit "OK" with your stylus.

10. Hit close on the the Catalog page.

11. Hit "OK" when prompted to refresh your applications.

12. After the refresh you should now be able to install the apps listed.
13. Turn off camera and upload video to YouTube.

14. Provide a link to this video in this thread.

15. Enjoy. :)

mdanehart
2007-12-24, 11:51
After the above procedure I get the following message: (Unable to refresh to access catalogues. check network connections again.) ?

Zuber
2007-12-24, 13:58
I went for the addional repositories install link.

Had to also disable the cureent ones (there is a tick box).

After that it all workes great.

Many thanks. We had backups all along and nobody knew about them :)

Zuber

cbarnett
2007-12-24, 14:21
What backups? Where?

frabo
2007-12-25, 00:30
I can confirm that deleting the "i" in repository also works with the "Testing Maemo Extras" repository. By doing this I was able to get omweather. Yes! :D

iball
2007-12-25, 03:15
It's official, Nokia is ******ed.
I gives a damn if English is not their first language, if you're going to market and sell a $400 product to native English-speakers I expect them to be able to frickin' SPELL correctly.
Gee, I wonder if that's why they also delayed the N-Gage launch? Probably spelled it M-Gage on the real URL.

Perhaps Engadget should run a story on how Nokia's illiteracy problem has led to their tablets not being able to install software or updates?
Maybe then they'll start paying attention to us in here when we start costing them customers due to lack of trust/faith in their products?
There are only three things on this planet that people listen to:
Lawyers, guns, and money. Usually in that order.

geneven
2007-12-25, 03:56
You'd think the the Omweather developer would have been pounding some doors about his program not being available. Maemo is a mystery. If whole swaths of things don't work, they don't seem to care too much.

I mean, let's say you had a misspelled directory on your computer, and it stopped you from running some important programs. Do you think it would take you forever to find out what was wrong? I don't think so.

iball
2007-12-25, 05:37
You'd think the the Omweather developer would have been pounding some doors about his program not being available. Maemo is a mystery. If whole swaths of things don't work, they don't seem to care too much.

I mean, let's say you had a misspelled directory on your computer, and it stopped you from running some important programs. Do you think it would take you forever to find out what was wrong? I don't think so.

Of course, it being FInland everyone has probably been off for the last two weeks celebrating Christmas.
They probably won't return until week after next. By then the "hype" will have probably died down a bit and they'll ignore it as always.
Of course, if someone were to post in their little bugzilla over there and everyone slammed on that bug then maybe they'll wake up.
But I doubt it. They still can't get SIP to work over VPN, even though a bug or two has been posted on it and commented on it a lot.

technut
2007-12-25, 06:13
Here's my take on what this workaround is doing:

Nokia does not actually have a server named "repostory" (missing i), and this was not all caused by a spelling error.

As Speedy posted, any misspelling or random-name.maemo.org gets treated as an alias for (and is redirected to) "stage.maemo.org".

Judging by the server name, it appears we are using a server intended for staging, ie. for internal testing prior to copying the repositories to the public production server (repository.maemo.org).

Per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staging_%28websites%29):Website development usually involves staging and production servers.

The staging site is used to assemble, test and review new versions of a website before it goes into production. The staging phase of the software lifecycle is often tested on hardware that mirrors hardware used in the production environment.
Normally before deploying an updated version of software to the production environment, the update has been tested in the staging environment.

We're just lucky that Nokia's staging server is publicly accessible and that admjo found it (even though he misunderstood, and believed it was an indication of a spelling error).

The production server that we should be using (repository.maemo.org) is just FUBAR right now for some unknown reason. We may get an explanation when the right people get back from vacation at Nokia.

iball
2007-12-25, 06:21
I build Linux-based web servers for a living (and I make a damn good living at it) and the path Nokia is on in regards to their repository server is mind-boggling.
No one in their right fcuking mind would EVER have a staging server sitting out reachable to anyone on the internet!
All of our staging servers sit behind two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits. IN Europe we even ran off two different VOLTAGES because we were really paranoid. (one 110v the other 240v)
And none of that is taking into account the off-site mirrors we have setup in case the entire colo disappears in a cloud of C4 explosive.
This sh1t ain't hard to get right the first time.

unique311
2007-12-25, 06:47
let me get this right.
that's two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits.

I build Linux-based web servers for a living (and I make a damn good living at it) and the path Nokia is on in regards to their repository server is mind-boggling.
No one in their right fcuking mind would EVER have a staging server sitting out reachable to anyone on the internet!
All of our staging servers sit behind two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits. IN Europe we even ran off two different VOLTAGES because we were really paranoid. (one 110v the other 240v)
And none of that is taking into account the off-site mirrors we have setup in case the entire colo disappears in a cloud of C4 explosive.

max bro
2007-12-25, 06:57
yea i know this is the wrong place for this lol but how do i install that mario game on my n800. like what catalogs do i need. and is it possible to get doom2?

Milhouse
2007-12-25, 11:39

In some respects if your staging servers are not publicly accessible then they're not facsimiles of production infra which in my mind is what staging should be - as close to production infra as possible, that way any problems in production can be reproduced or your new staging build can be tested in a production-like environment. External access is often a crucial part of testing, without it you're on a wing and a prayer when you release to production having completed internal-only testing. :)

Saturn
2007-12-25, 14:40
At work we have several staging and production servers and some of them have public and other have restricted access. The difference usually is that the staging servers are hosted in smaller machines with less redundancy and that's only for economic reasons (nobody will spare you $50K machines to play!!).

Many times a staging server will become temporarily a production server if needed and it seems that this is the case here too.

iontruo2
2007-12-25, 15:59
Maybe then they'll start paying attention to us in here when we start costing them customers due to lack of trust/faith in their products?

They are so very good at producing pretty promo material and nice web site presentations but they fail to recognize that in real business the true large scale push of a product and services comes from 'referrals' (word of mouth). This occurs most strongly from 'the user base'.

Why is it they are thrilled to see multiple N800 orders roll in inspired by people like us promoting the platform to others, yet they are perhaps failing to recognize that if the core user base grows justifiably frustrated and looses faith in their product......they are done....and will be finished off completely by the negative storm....very very fast.

Nokia's & co's advertising itself will be but a whisper in the face of the Itouch/iPhone Apple loudness if this core user base is not critically supported....with effective effort.

I had a healthy debate last night with a pro photographer friend who I originally promoted Palm TX to and then later N800 to consider purchasing. In the story of my frustrations with my N800 and the OS and install issues in general, he ended up with an iTouch. It is a sad little thing compared to my N800. No speakers and it has a small screen for a photographer to find much value......BUT it works consistently and with a few funky tricks like the magnify technique. He's keeping it.

So we just lost another possible N series customer(at the pro level) for no good reason other than this OS2008 shmozle and the repository issues etc etc etc etc etc.

That really means they just lost probably 5->10 other sales that might have come through his word of mouth promotion.

end note: I just bought a Canon SD750 camera based largely on his advice. He has one for in his pocket and spoke highly of it. Case in point.

wv9k
2007-12-25, 17:12
Sigh, I hate to have to join the bandwagon here, but yes, nokia is busily stepping all over itself.

So much is screwed up with all this that I start to wonder if nokia wants it to fail.

I went with this thing based on positive experiences with other nokia products I have had, granted that none of them were as complex and open, but...

People see mine and ask about it and I am forced to tell them that ***YES*** it is an incredibly cool little device and VERY new so you need to be geeky to deal with it and plan to spend some time sorting out issues. That turns off the non-geeky crowd really quickly.

One of the first questions I get asked is if there is a decent PIM on it as the often hate the ones on their cells. There is just no good answer I can give them, sadly. Garnet IS an option but not a really great one.

Until wifi hotspots become a LOT more plentiful than they are (at least here) my n800 stays at home and on the desk to play with while the palm (ugh) gets to go for a ride. Yes, I can kluge my way around it, but it is kluging my way around it :-/.

Hopefully nokia will wake up before they completely isolate their user base.

I really hope this will happen as I am in love with this thing and would really hate to see it become something to hold my desk drawer down, got too many of things like that now :-).

Interesting to note that that user base seems to be doing so very much more than nokia in both interest and content, GREAT job folks!

Keeping toes crossed and watching carefully.

amigokin
2007-12-25, 17:20
I don't know if its me or what, but the finger keyboard does not work ok. With or without backup it doesn't pop-up very often. And when it does, aplications like MicroB doesn't recognize what I type.

Incredible in a final release of an operative system.

iontruo2
2007-12-25, 20:03
WV9K makes some great points. I feel much the same way. Amigokin also. This is a final release of an OS. An Os of any sort......please!

Bell and whistles are fine and add to 'mass appeal' which is what draws in the 'end user' interest and the potential for large scale mass purchasing, BUT, stability and core operability must be present...or else.

Now I am somewhat torn. I put my wife on Beta Os2008 and she is content with her Majong, Facebook and a few other music choices etc. Mostly basic amusement.
I on the other hand went back to OS2007 which I think is a far superior GUI in appearance sophistication. But alas, it suffers with problems with repositories(on topic!), and installs that one must find the homepage for or ya gotta have Python or one of three dozen unknown LIBS that just happen to be missing and hard to find. So now I am stuck in the middle, a bit unhappy with both.

This is not just newb slant, it is just bad software and web work(to keep it simple). And to think this is the very nature of this 'product'. Internet Tablet software.
I am considered the gadget guy, but as WV9K was alluding to, even I am tired of this runaround method requiring detective work and backflips..... just to access the software!
It is amateurish and as some of the more knowledgeable programmer community members here have outright said....wholly unnecessary.

As Oprah once said "If you know better, Do better"

My advice: If it is about money to inspire superior efforts at the developer level, then take a note from the ol Palm community. Some of their best offerings to everyone have come from the freeware efforts. Even today I have seen some truly devoted personal efforts in regards to themes for Zlauncher that are absolutely FREE= no charge. Then the are the goofs who are charging for junk or charging far too much money for mediocre software that fits in under 800k.

Somewhere in the middle we might find the best fit. I would happily pay someone $10-$20 for a "true shareware' of theirs. Palm platform philosophy was good in that sense they never lost the original freeware ethic and kept most of the better software VERY AFFORDABLE at often $10-$15.

I am not about the money anymore or the profit, but this is just a muse of mine here as we consider what the big problem is with repositories and really bad access for a formal OS launch. What was it? More than a week of total paralysis?!!?

As WV9K said, I too love this little N800, and the potential is huge.
Quit chasing the next piece of hardware. Its like they are 'addicted to the new'.
The N800 rocks!! Enough that it can run Apache and some techy user was even monitoring 150 servers and doing other really advanced remote work while mobile.
Work the platform as is! Its still fresh young and hardly out of the gate.
That's why Palm lasted so long. I knew guys who were still using old units many many years after their useful time.(like Palm3's).
Don't forsake the 770's, they were your charter members, your earliest adopters. Squeeze every last drop out of that system. That's why my Palm Treo650 is still alive and not in the garbage bin yet (ion bows to the Zlauncher team at ZZtechs).

Do the basics like downloadability very well and leave the icandy gadgety tricks for Apple. Remember Apple's story?! Good product ran well, but most of the years they simply couldn't supply it. IIsi's-Newtons-Quadras.They couldn't handle the demand and supply issues and in many respects that is what held them back from total PC takeover. Just like Harley Davidson, they couldn't deliver to meet the demand.

So in other words the demand and sales potential is already there, just get it together and learn from the others' mistakes.

Honeybadger
2007-12-25, 20:36
Ok,

I've removed the "i" in resistory, didn't work, so then I put it back and unselected the the two Maemo repositories and put in the two temp repositories.

While it does let me download the latest app list without issue, I still get download failures when trying to install anything.

Am I missing something?

3 applications I am really after:
Maemomap, meamopad+ and gmail alert, should these work with the latest firmware? Any advice how to install?

Thanks all a bunch!

Zuber
2007-12-25, 22:18
Only difference I can see is that I disabled 3 repositries.

maemo, maemo extras and maemo extras devel.

Also, I put the temp repositries using the install link on one of the prev. pages (less likely to have a typo ?)

Zuber

Honeybadger
2007-12-25, 22:52
Well, I tried the suggesion, even the installer.

Still getting: Downloading 115k, downloading failed...

Do I have a corrupted directory or something?

mogers
2007-12-25, 23:05
Does everyone here realize how superbly this whole thread points out why the NIT is never going to be more than a niche device for hackers to play with. I grew to love my N800 for the first 6 months, but I would never recommend it to anyone as a ready-to-use consumer device. Now almost a year later, the fun has worn off, it's become a pain, I don't know whether to give up on OS2008, or the whole thing. I switched back once to 2007, then back to 2008, and what I gather from this thread is that going back to 07 now is just as broken as 08? The killer for Nokia is that the 810 appears to have been picked up by more retailers and online sellers than the 800 ever was. How many will be returned by unhappy / unwary customers?

Honeybadger
2007-12-25, 23:36
Does everyone here realize how superbly this whole thread points out why the NIT is never going to be more than a niche device for hackers to play with. I grew to love my N800 for the first 6 months, but I would never recommend it to anyone as a ready-to-use consumer device. Now almost a year later, the fun has worn off, it's become a pain, I don't know whether to give up on OS2008, or the whole thing. I switched back once to 2007, then back to 2008, and what I gather from this thread is that going back to 07 now is just as broken as 08? The killer for Nokia is that the 810 appears to have been picked up by more retailers and online sellers than the 800 ever was. How many will be returned by unhappy / unwary customers?

By the standard of that comment the Personal Computer isn't ready for the average consumer. Like my 810 it is generally usable but occasionally friends call me up as the local "Geek" to help out with installation, browser, or some other random glitch that the average user might be confused by.

i am a newbie for the 810 though I have more than a passing familiarity of Linux and WinOS and I think the 810 is a terrific platform. I am most happy with the very lively hacker, enthusiast and end-user community. It's the product that just have a company support that dies first, a good user community is the sign of a long-lived device!

As for my installation problems I am sure someone in here will provide the answer that will get me up and running again.

iontruo2
2007-12-26, 02:02
i am a newbie for the 810 though I have more than a passing familiarity of Linux and WinOS and I think the 810 is a terrific platform. I am most happy with the very lively hacker, enthusiast and end-user community. It's the product that just have a company support that dies first, a good user community is the sign of a long-lived device.

You make a good point. The product company support that dies first.

And I am seeing in these forums here an expression of activity level that to me seems dynamic. It is in contrast to many others out there and it stands out to me as filled with some inspired intelligent people contributing,. I have benefited numerous times from immediate replies and great general info sharing.

So, Parent company must have recognition of their circumstance. Keep Going, just improve their focus on end product's roll out and evolution.
That wave is the first impression. Valuable, and forward moving.

Texrat
2007-12-26, 03:18
They are so very good at producing pretty promo material and nice web site presentations but they fail to recognize that in real business the true large scale push of a product and services comes from 'referrals' (word of mouth). This occurs most strongly from 'the user base'..

Actually that reality is very well recognized within Nokia's walls. I won't defend the overall strategy discussed here, because I'm not 100% in alignment, but don't confuse apparent lack of recognition with true lack of recognition. Nokia just has this often annoying tendency to be much MUCH slower with new product (and especially paradigm) development than many people are willing to accept. Sometimes that manifests as an apparent cluelessness, but trust me-- the guys involved are very sharp at what they do. That just doesn't always translate well for many.

EDIT: and guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you'll really need to be patient another week or so for a lot of the madness to be sorted out. A LOT of people are on holiday (self included).

iontruo2
2007-12-26, 03:45
Thank you for your input Texrat. I appreciate your insight.
No disrespect intended in my 'outside in' perspective.

Honeybadger
2007-12-26, 06:43
Ok, but can we get back to the topic subject, anyone have any idea why I can't install applications?

Thanks!

rilkeanhearts
2007-12-26, 16:31
i used technut's "click to install" and I still can't get python2.5 runtime to download and install in application manager. It goes through the whole 5.23mb download process, then gives me a message that says "Downloading python2.5-runtime failed." I disabled the original maemos extras repo in my Application Catalog and the two temp ones are active. I've also tried rebooting.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Thanks!

bexley
2007-12-26, 16:50
I can't answer about the continued cause of download errors (I don't think it was ever pinned down in these fora), but for me trying-trying-trying-and-trying-again let me install pretty much everything I wanted to.

(This was without the "repostory" fix. I think I noticed an improvement in my download success rate after removing the "i", but I can't say for sure.)

Some apps took one try, some took five, some took more like fifteen. I'm not sure what's going on here (busy servers?), but for those of you who aren't finding an answer and are dying to install a certain app, keep on trying! Good luck.

Texrat
2007-12-26, 18:23
Thank you for your input Texrat. I appreciate your insight.
No disrespect intended in my 'outside in' perspective.

None taken. My direct involvement is long since past :( ;)

Honeybadger
2007-12-27, 00:41
Ok, I have tried them all 20 or more times, still sits there at the download for a few minutes then gives me a download failed.

Can one of you say one of the application you got to install was so I can test to see if it's my N810 or the server?

Thanks,

bexley
2007-12-27, 01:12
It's not your N810. You can rest assured of that.

I didn't mean to tell people to try 20 times consecutively. There was some time between my attempts. For instance, it took about fifteen seperate attempts over a few days to get Quiver installed. It was roughly the same case for Pidgin, Canola 2 and a bunch of other apps.

tps
2007-12-27, 04:50
Ok, I have tried them all 20 or more times, still sits there at the download for a few minutes then gives me a download failed.

Can one of you say one of the application you got to install was so I can test to see if it's my N810 or the server?

Thanks,

Get an xterm running, sudo gainroot. Then, at the # prompt, run something like:

apt-get install python2.5-runtime

or whatever app you are trying to install. You'll see a lot more info about what's happening. Give me a command line anyday for system administration...

Tim

geneven
2007-12-27, 05:52
If I was on vacation from Nokia, and I found out that a repository I created was screwed up because I misspelled "repository", I would fix my mistake. I would feel very humiliated for causing all that trouble.

Where do people from Nokia go for vacation, Antarctica?

erwan
2007-12-27, 07:39
If I was on vacation from Nokia, and I found out that a repository I created was screwed up because I misspelled "repository", I would fix my mistake. I would feel very humiliated for causing all that trouble.

Read the thread, it is NOT a spelling mistake. It's not just "repostory.maemo.org" but [ANYTHING].maemo.org that works. That points to the staging server.

The problem is that Akamai doesn't speak a correct HTTP. The fix is more complicated than corrected a spelling mistake from SSH; it may involve switching from Akamai to another host.

barry99705
2007-12-27, 08:47
EDIT: and guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you'll really need to be patient another week or so for a lot of the madness to be sorted out. A LOT of people are on holiday (self included).

That's really crappy business practice. I work for a freaking K-12 school district. We have 10 people in the IT department, only 3 of them work on the servers. We support somewhere around 9000 computers. Our web servers are expected to be up 7 days a week 365 days a year. I think the longest I've ever seen any of out outside visible web servers down was about 5 hours. If something breaks, someone gets called in. Doesn't matter if they're on vacation or not. Nokia is a multi-billion dollar company. Why the hell didn't they have some one on call. Especially right after a new firmware release.

L11
2007-12-27, 20:28
Does anyone have any sales figures for internet tablets?

Because i'm sure there's not that many people affected by this.. Not enough for nokia to care anyway

YoDude
2007-12-27, 21:27

Because i'm sure there's not that many people affected by this.. Not enough for nokia to care anyway

It has their name on it...

BTW, it was listed as the #2 "computer" sold by Amazon this holiday season.

Prior to the 810 we have seen 300,000 N800's reported here by Nokia reps . That would be in 10 months time without any holiday sales. :)

Texrat
2007-12-27, 21:41
That's really crappy business practice. I work for a freaking K-12 school district. We have 10 people in the IT department, only 3 of them work on the servers. We support somewhere around 9000 computers. Our web servers are expected to be up 7 days a week 365 days a year. I think the longest I've ever seen any of out outside visible web servers down was about 5 hours. If something breaks, someone gets called in. Doesn't matter if they're on vacation or not. Nokia is a multi-billion dollar company. Why the hell didn't they have some one on call. Especially right after a new firmware release.

You guys have a right to be irritated, and publicly express your ire, but I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, Barry, but the complaints really need to be elevated. However, I recognize that you see it as a business issue which means I'm sure you also recognize where the buck really stops.

Texrat
2007-12-27, 21:47

"Not that many" is a relative term.

Out of total sales of cell phones, you're right: tablets are still a minor slice and very likely receive a fairly proportionate amount of attention. Heck, that can be broken down categorically and still remain true.

Since Nokia has officially acknowledged that the 770 was a geek experiment and the N800 just a refined version of that experiment, I think I'm okay to speak to this subject. The tablets need to hit critical mass before they appear on all the right radar screens-- not just externally but internally as well. While Nokia is definitely a big enough company to support its many products, that bigness can be a hinderance-- especially where new, novel products are concerned.

Now that the N810 cracks the incubator lid open, things WILL be changing for the better. You guys are just now seeing critical mass form. Given Nokia's methodical approach to new markets, it may perc a little longer before it "explodes".

amigokin
2007-12-27, 21:49
I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.

Textrat, as I customer who paid 400 bucks for the device I don't care and I don't have to care for what the maemo folks have had to deal with. I just want to upgrade my tablet and install every available and advertised software piece, and that should work. But it doesn't.

It's their fault no matter what. Period.

rcadden
2007-12-27, 21:51
You guys have a right to be irritated, and publicly express your ire, but I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, Barry, but the complaints really need to be elevated. However, I recognize that you see it as a business issue which means I'm sure you also recognize where the buck really stops.

That's the problem, as well, Texrat. How exactly do we "elevate" our complaints? For 80% of Tablet users, ITT is the best place for them to be to voice complaints. I've blogged my open feelings, and others have expressed them elsewhere, but I don't get the feeling that anyone from Nokia really listens/reads. Is there somewhere specific we should be emailing/posting our frustrations, for maximum effectiveness?

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-27, 21:52
It's their fault no matter what. Period.

Well, no, not really. If management isn't going to give you the resources to handle your userbase, what are you going to do? Pay for better servers out of your own pocket?

This is a Nokia fumble, not a maemo fumble.

Is there somewhere specific we should be emailing/posting our frustrations, for maximum effectiveness?

Nokia Support, call 'em up and file a complaint.

Texrat
2007-12-27, 21:55
General, you are such a welcome presence here. ;)

EDIT: Ricky, I have an internal blog that I'm using to convey user frustration. In that respect, posts here DO some good: I use them as material (sanitized of course :D) in my blog. The right people get invites to new articles and occasionally even read them.

I am assembling ideas for a "reboot" of that languishing blog in January.

JeffElkins
2007-12-27, 22:21
Nokia[/i] fumble, not a maemo fumble.

I would agree with this. I'm sure the folks directly connected with Maemo are chagrined, to say the least, by this FUBAR situation. That said, we all know what rolls downhill, right?

Personally, I think that pitchforks and torches are called for.

amigokin
2007-12-27, 23:04
Well, no, not really. If management isn't going to give you the resources to handle your userbase, what are you going to do? Pay for better servers out of your own pocket?

General, I bought a Nokia product. In order to officially update that product they foward me to the Maemo Website. I don't care and I don't have or want to care if Maemo is or is not part of Nokia.

I only know that I can't or couldn't update my tablet as their advertised.

TheRealBubba
2007-12-27, 23:36
Personally, I think that pitchforks and torches are called for.

Ummm, I can't find pitchfork*.deb or torch*.deb for os2008, have they been ported from the 770, or do I have to change my source to suppository.maemo.org? ...

YoDude
2007-12-27, 23:54
General, I bought a Nokia product. In order to officially update that product they foward me to the Maemo Website. I don't care and I don't have or want to care if Maemo is or is not part of Nokia.

I only know that I can't or couldn't update my tablet as their advertised.

... and when you look at it, it has the word NOKIA on it.

Their name, their problem.

Perhaps all those Amazon sales should ask for a refund. Perhaps Amazon (or other retailers faced with a high percentage of returns) will rethink sales participation in other NOKIA products.

Their name, their problem...

bexley
2007-12-28, 02:20
Ummm, I can't find pitchfork*.deb or torch*.deb for os2008, have they been ported from the 770, or do I have to change my source to suppository.maemo.org? ...

LOL. Thanks given.

rcadden
2007-12-28, 13:49
I understand you guys' frustration, but it's fixed, so why are you still complaining? I have OS2008 running fine on my N800, and have all the apps that I had before (minus the ones that the developers haven't ported, obviously). So what's the big deal?

maxilogan
2007-12-28, 15:16
Yes! Python at last!

Happy Hackmas!

No! I still keep getting a "Installation File corrupted" :mad: is there any way to install Python in a way or another? I want those Canola 2 covers! :D

rcadden
2007-12-28, 16:57
dude, did you not read? Go into the application manager and change the maemo extras repository URL from "repository" to "repostory".

Milhouse
2007-12-28, 17:18
I understand you guys' frustration, but it's fixed, so why are you still complaining? I have OS2008 running fine on my N800, and have all the apps that I had before (minus the ones that the developers haven't ported, obviously). So what's the big deal?

Because it's NOT fixed - Python (http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-runtime/python2.5-runtime_c1.0-2_all.deb) from extras and anything from extras-devel (http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/p/python-runtime/python2.5-runtime_c1.0-2_all.deb) are still broken.

Yes, we have a temporary workaround but the original problem still exists from day 1 of the launch. By the time Nokia staffers begin to start looking at fixing the original problem on 2 January it will be over two weeks of confusion and aggravation that the paying customers have had to endure, which is totally unacceptable.

Only people who frequent this forum will be aware of the work around, ordinary users will be wondering what the feck is wrong with their device or network and wondering why it doesn't work as promised by Nokia. Nokia have left users high and dry this holiday period - it's obvious this project is under resourced but the poor management decision making which has led to this problem continuing for as long as it has takes my breath away.

And that's the big deal.

yeeehaa
2007-12-28, 17:57
As far as I can tell, even the 'workarounds' are broken.

I've tried the no-'i' repostory, and python is 'broken' on install (C1.0-2).
I've tried the alternate repository naming as 'stage.maemo.com'; it was argued that anything other than 'repository' would fall back on the backup repository, Python still broken.
I've tried the tabletrepo.com (Canola, some Python elements) and the other wolf-something mirror repository and I still get a broken Python install.
So at lest for me, things are a no-go.
Am I missing something subtle on the workarounds?
How can I tell how 'broken' is 'broken'? Where's the x-ray runtime library for this thing? :)

JeffElkins
2007-12-28, 18:01

You'll have to roll your own .deb :)

maxilogan
2007-12-28, 22:26
dude, did you not read? Go into the application manager and change the maemo extras repository URL from "repository" to "repostory".

of course i did, otherwise why should I complain on this thread? :eek:

hordeman
2007-12-29, 03:25
ok, well i just did a clean reflash, and i removed the 'i' in repository--- it didn't do anything though. odd because it was working before the reflash.

edit:
doh! the repository was disabled by default. i put the 'i' back in and enabled it. works just fine!

mleeds
2007-12-29, 17:55
Seems as good a thread as any to point out that the N810 is so far from ready as a consumer product as to be laughable/sad. The out of box experience for a new user with no Linux experience is so poor as to virtually insure that the user base will solely be composed of Linux/hacker very-early-adopters.

Nokia does not include, at least in the box my unit came in:

The tool required to update the OS via a Windows computer, nor any reference to it.

The full user manual which is available online, nor any reference to it. And I use the term 'full user manual' in the most general sense as that manual is so lacking in content as to be better considered a quickstart.

Useable customer support, pointers to support forums such as this, the list is endless. Yes, I've managed to get the thing working, thanks to folks like all of you, and my over twenty years of computer use. Would my wife, daughter, neighbor, office mate, and so on have been able/willing to deal with what I've dealt with? Doubtful.

I've written end user documentation, I've run large scale networks, I've managed customer support organizations, so I feel I've some perspective on this issue.

I see much promise in the hardware and intent to continue experimenting. If I were retired, I'd consider writing the user manual that Nokia failed to produce, written for non-Linux users.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but Nokia could take a lesson on out of the box experience from them. Heck, they could take a lesson from Dell or HP for that matter.

As to vacation time and network support, I agree with the previous statements. Designing a resilient online service is hard work, requires investing CapEx and time, but is no longer rocket science. The company I work for handled well over 100 million connections to its online service on Dec 25th with no issues. We run servers in three colos, with redundant everything in each colo, and sufficient capacity to lose a full colo and still handle the traffic. Not cheap, but we're a much smaller company than Nokia and still manage to do so.

Nuff said.

namtastic
2007-12-29, 18:19
Nuff said.

Amen, brother. As an 11 year vet of the industry I have to agree, while the hardware is always impressive, the rest of it is just embarrassing.

Texiwill
2007-12-29, 19:03
Hello,

I have offered on the developers list to host a US Mirror site for the installing of any Maemo applications.... If anyone wants to, please let me know. The DNS trick worked for the developer versions.

Best regards,
Edward

here.david
2007-12-29, 19:09
I used putty log into my n770 then MC which is a easy and quick tool...Midnight Commander...

Milhouse
2007-12-29, 20:34
Seems as good a thread as any to point out that the N810 is so far from ready as a consumer product as to be laughable/sad. The out of box experience for a new user with no Linux experience is so poor as to virtually insure that the user base will solely be composed of Linux/hacker very-early-adopters.

With more mobile Linux based devices destined to flood the market in the next 6-9 months it will be interesting to see what changes - the products or user perceptions. Nokia have fumbled several times but they're getting there, and Linux is a very different animal from Windows Mobile and other mobile platforms. I think it's a better platform, while others may think it worse based on what they are expecting - if they stick with the product and don't try to change it (which is the beauty of Linux and the Nokia platform) they'll do just fine, assuming Nokia can get the servers working etc. :) If they're expecting a Windows Mobile like experience then forget it (at least for now).

Nokia does not include, at least in the box my unit came in:

The tool required to update the OS via a Windows computer, nor any reference to it.

The full user manual which is available online, nor any reference to it. And I use the term 'full user manual' in the most general sense as that manual is so lacking in content as to be better considered a quickstart.

To be fair, including a CD in the box is a waste of time IMHO. I can't remember the last time I actually used the software which came on an in-box CD as I always download the latest version from the vendors website. The CD in the box is almost always out of date.

The "Getting Started" guide which you should have received in the box (a folded pamphlet) refers on the last page to the manual that is installed on the device (in PDF format, numerous languages) and provides a link (www.nokia.com/n800 for the N800) to the Nokia tablet support site.

Useable customer support, pointers to support forums such as this, the list is endless. Yes, I've managed to get the thing working, thanks to folks like all of you, and my over twenty years of computer use. Would my wife, daughter, neighbor, office mate, and so on have been able/willing to deal with what I've dealt with? Doubtful.

Now this I can agree with - I've been pretty unimpressed with Nokia support of the tablets and believe this forum is saving Nokias arse big time. There are more knowledgeable people here and you'll get a quicker response here than on any other official Nokia forum IMHO. And of course you can search the forum before posting in case your question is already answered, which is quite likely! :)

iontruo2
2007-12-30, 12:18
While I agree with "Milhouse", above, I would also add that I was purchasing Nokia N800's in August in Canada, and found neither unit had the current version of the 2007 OS installed. If I recall, the most recent and significant update had been back in June.
At over $430 for me at that time for each and direct purchased from Nokia themselves, it showcases well some of the points people are making here.

Honeybadger
2007-12-30, 21:46
I keep reading in here that people are able to install apps...

I have removed the "i" in respository, put it back in and still get download failed on everything.

I have gone through alot of battery charges trying to get my 810 back to pre-2008 update usable.

Any hints?

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-30, 21:51
I have removed the "i" in respository, put it back in and still get download failed on everything.

Er, why did you put it back in?

Honeybadger
2007-12-30, 23:18
Because people in here have said it works with the i....

I have tried both ways without success.

Twinkletoes
2007-12-31, 17:41
Hi Honeybadger,

I tried the advice from TECHNUT in this thread, I then disabled (didn't delete - just clicked the box) all other Maemo catalogues in the Application Manager. It then worked OK.

What I need to know is what catalogues should I have in there when all is sorted??? There are 5 at the moment (disabled) plus the TEMP ones from TECHNUT's click now.:confused:

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-31, 18:02
Hi Honeybadger,

I tried the advice from TECHNUT in this thread, I then disabled (didn't delete - just clicked the box) all other Maemo catalogues in the Application Manager. It then worked OK.

What I need to know is what catalogues should I have in there when all is sorted??? There are 5 at the moment (disabled) plus the TEMP ones from TECHNUT's click now.:confused:

What repositories one has in their catalog will completely depend on what apps one wants to install. TechNuts temp repos are for the Maemo and Maemo Extras repos. So when all is fixed, you would delete the temporary ones and enable those two (plus any others you want to install apps from). I personally have ~12 repos in my catalog.

akd
2007-12-31, 18:15
What repositories one has in their catalog will completely depend on what apps one wants to install. TechNuts temp repos are for the Maemo and Maemo Extras repos. So when all is fixed, you would delete the temporary ones and enable those two (plus any others you want to install apps from). I personally have ~12 repos in my catalog.

So, be ready to keep them for a long time...:D

Honeybadger
2007-12-31, 21:00
Well I now have 2 repostory catalogs and still can't install anything...

Any other ideas?

akd
2007-12-31, 21:11
I gonna tell you how I installed everithing on my last reflash (one day ago)
First; delete all existing repos on your app manager
second: go to gronmayer (http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4) and download every single repo for your os (be carefull to download the proper one) (if your OS is 2008 you will see that the first two or three repos does'nt work; don't care about, install all the others including the temp fix ones!)
after that, you will be able to install almost all the apps available for your OS. If any app is not listed, then go to Maemo and install the individual app from there.

Rebski
2007-12-31, 21:12
Any other ideas?
Personally I am waiting for the day after tomorrow when Finland gets back to work.

It seems pointless wasting time on this now, of course it may prove to be equally fruitless on 2nd Jan.

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-31, 21:34
Seems like it may be back to functional, as everything is working fine over here with repository.maemo.org and stage.maemo.org seems to be down.

wizink
2007-12-31, 21:44
I did everything everyone has said, taking out the "i", downloading technut's TEMPORARY repositories, and yet I still CAN'T get python 2.5 to install. It downloads very nicely, but fails to install and is bugging the heck out of me!!! Kill me now... (I think we need a thread dedicated to ranting) :)

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-31, 21:49
I did everything everyone has said, taking out the "i", downloading technut's TEMPORARY repositories, and yet I still CAN'T get python 2.5 to install. It downloads very nicely, but fails to install and is bugging the heck out of me!!! Kill me now... (I think we need a thread dedicated to ranting) :)

Well, stage.maemo.org is now down, so have you tried just using repoitory.maemo.org? You'll also need bora extras.

wizink
2007-12-31, 22:08
Application manager reports that python cannot be installed, however, looking into what programs I have installed, python is listed, albeit broken. In my case the repositories are not the issue, just installing the file has become very troublesome.

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-31, 22:38
Application manager reports that python cannot be installed, however, looking into what programs I have installed, python is listed, albeit broken. In my case the repositories are not the issue, just installing the file has become very troublesome.

A log would help us fix the problem for you a lot more quickly. There's a log entry in the App Manager menu. Newest stuff is at the bottom.

wizink
2007-12-31, 22:45
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python2.5-runtime:
python2.5-runtime depends on python2.5-cairo (>= 1.4.0-1osso1); however:
Package python2.5-cairo is not installed.
dpkg: error processing python2.5-runtime (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
python2.5-runtime
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thats what is reported in the log.

Honeybadger
2008-01-02, 14:41
Ok, The magic day is here and still nothing is installing.

Does anyone have a list of repositories that should be on my device just so I can do a reset and make sure I am trying to connect to the correct ones.

I mean the original Nokia and base repositories?

Thanks,

Rebski
2008-01-02, 15:05
Under the circumstances shouldn't we expect a formal announcement and clarification by Nokia?

Honeybadger
2008-01-04, 07:57
Perhaps I missed an update or something else is wrong in my setup but I am still not getting applications to download.

Are things fixed yet?

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-04, 14:29
Perhaps I missed an update or something else is wrong in my setup but I am still not getting applications to download.

Are things fixed yet?

I believe, I read a post in the last few days that said the repositories were fixed - if this is the case then you should just disable the 2 Temporary repos and enable the originals.

If that doesn't fix things and you still can't download applications, then we need more details as to what you've tried and what error messages you're getting. There is also a log file in the menu of the applications manager that could shed some light on why you're having problems :)

geneven
2008-01-04, 14:52
You really need to be more specific. If you cannot get any applications to download, you are in serious trouble. If you can't get some certain applications to download, you need to tell us something about them.

By the way, I have car problems -- what should I do?

JeffElkins
2008-01-04, 15:03
I just replaced my temp hildon*.list with my backed up original and did a apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade. The update ran fine, then the upgrade downloaded/installed the new drop of mplayer w/o errors from repository.maemo.org.

Rebski
2008-01-04, 17:33
Can anyone point me to an official statement on the state of the Repositories and whether they are now properly fixed?

I have seen hearsay and rumour on the forums that they have been but my experience suggests otherwise.

My Application Manager log is here replicated in case it helps shed some light on both mine and others' issues. It may be helpful to ignore the Tuomas Kulve rep for the time being.

hildon-application-manager 2.0.1

apt-worker[1646]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib - g_strsplit_set: assertion `string != NULL' failed

apt-worker[1646]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib - g_strsplit_set: assertion `string != NULL' failed

W: GPG error: http://tuomas.kulve.fi chinook Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 94D0694709064463

W: GPG error: http://maemo-hackers.org chinook Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5FD45CD3EA68E29D

E: Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras/dists/chinook/free/binary-armel/Packages.gz

E: Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/dists/chinook/free/binary-armel/Packages.gz

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_chinook_free_bin ary-armel_Packages)

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://repository.maemo.org chinook/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras_dists_chinook_non-free_binary-armel_Packages)

W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

W: GPG error: http://maemo-hackers.org chinook Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5FD45CD3EA68E29D

W: GPG error: http://tuomas.kulve.fi chinook Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 94D0694709064463

Honeybadger
2008-01-04, 18:39
I posted multile times on the issue I was getting responses from everyone in here said it was just repository issue. I was just checking status of the repositories not re-asking the question.

One more time: I click on for example "memeopad+", it starts to download and just ends with "Download failed", that's it.

I just tried to install Canola2, it says downloading 9.52MB, just sits for about 5 mins with no progress then says "download Failed".

Now I am asking, should I reflash my 810?

Thanks,

phi
2008-01-04, 18:41
I'm sure the "repostory" hack still works until they get it sorted out.

akd
2008-01-04, 18:58
I posted multile times on the issue I was getting responses from everyone in here said it was just repository issue. I was just checking status of the repositories not re-asking the question.

One more time: I click on for example "memeopad+", it starts to download and just ends with "Download failed", that's it.

I just tried to install Canola2, it says downloading 9.52MB, just sits for about 5 mins with no progress then says "download Failed".

Now I am asking, should I reflash my 810?

Thanks,
I don't think you need to reflash. Give a try, delete all your previous repos and reinstall them. Hope this help.

Rebski
2008-01-04, 19:04
But we have been told by forum members that it has been sorted. So has it or hasn't it? Frankly I don't think anybody knows for sure.

I just tried to install Canola2
I do better than you in terms of download progress but I still get "Unable to install Canola". Are we simply having different symptoms of the same problem? Why don't you Refresh your Application list and post your log?

should I reflash my 810?
I want to reflash my N800 but am not prepared to invite yet more grief until I know for sure that the repository and download issues have been resolved. From what I can see, the situation is in a state of flux and inherently unreliable.

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-04, 19:38

No, it doesn't, becuase stage.maemo.org is no longer accessible.

Delete the hacked maemo.org entries and re-add or enable the normal ones. Works fine over here.

Rebski
2008-01-04, 19:57
No, it doesn't, becuase stage.maemo.org is no longer accessible.
Stage.maemo.org is enabled in my Catalogue. If it is not accessible then shouldn’t there be log entry to say so? Or is my understanding wrong?

Delete the hacked maemo.org entries and re-add or enable the normal ones.
I have done this and still experience problems.

Works fine over here.
My experiences are inconsistent so the fact that the repositories work for some and not others is not altogether surprising.

GeneralAntilles, do you have access to any specific Nokia/Maemo announcement to confirm the official status of the issue?

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-04, 20:28
GeneralAntilles, do you have access to any specific Nokia/Maemo announcement to confirm the official status of the issue?

Pfft. Of course not. There aren't any and probably never will be. But things are working fine for me and three other people I know personally with N800s.

I can't raise stage.maemo.org either on the tablets or through ping. Did you disable the stage/repostory/whatever entries before testing to see if the regular repos are working?

Rebski
2008-01-04, 21:17
Did you disable the stage/repostory/whatever entries before testing to see if the regular repos are working?
Yes tried it all ways, Log does not report any issues with stage.maemo.org

Does that mean that stage.maemo.org is working?

My persistent problem is with http://tuomas.kulve.fi/and http://maemo-hackers.org/.

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-04, 21:50
Yes tried it all ways, Log does not report any issues with stage.maemo.org

Does that mean that stage.maemo.org is working?

My persistent problem is with http://tuomas.kulve.fi/and http://maemo-hackers.org/.

Oh why didn't you say that before :p ... I've been having problems with the Tuomas repo for days, ever since I tried to update my ogg support. Ogg still works though - I get tons of messages in my log though about gstreamer* & dependency problems when I try to re-install ogg. I figure I'll wait a few days and try again. :) I haven't had any issue with the few other repos I've tried today including Maemo Chinook (one of the ones borken before).

Rebski
2008-01-04, 23:21
Oh why didn't you say that before
You are welcome I'm sure.

How is maemo-hackers for you?
The fact that it is a Maemo repository gives me cause for concern when it is not accessible, or is that just for me?

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-04, 23:41
You are welcome I'm sure.

How is maemo-hackers for you?
The fact that it is a Maemo repository gives me cause for concern when it is not accessible, or is that just for me?

Well to be honest there's nothing in that repo that I needed to install so I haven't tried it.

However, I did "take the red pill" and go into App Manager and have a look at the packages available for that repo. What I found is that most all of the installable packages I looked at have gstreamer* dependencies.

Considering all of the error messages I've gotten concerning gstreamer problems with the Tuomas Kulve repos - I'm guessing that's the same problem with Maemo Hackers. There were a few packages I came across that didn't have gstreamer* dependencies but that weren't installable for other reasons.

I was able to successfully install SGT-puzzles from Maemo Hackers repo - but it doesn't have any gstreamer dependencies :)

Honeybadger
2008-01-05, 01:03
To be honest, I am not even sure which repositories I should have and where they should be pointed to...

Could anyone post a site with them or does anyone have a script to put them in I can click on?

Thanks all!

Rebski
2008-01-05, 01:04
Thanks for checking.

Your insight is very revealing, both of these repositories give a "public key is not available" error in my log. So whether it is a Maemo issue or not is unclear (well to me at any rate). Either way i shall stop fretting over it now.

Thanks again.

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-05, 02:00
@ Honeybadger - What I did when I first got my N810 was to go to www.gronmayer.com & click on the 2008 button then clicked the little box that said 'Install all'. However, you shouldn't install duplicates of repos so you should go into app manager 1st and delete any existing one's on the list. You probably should uncheck the install boxes on the Gronmayer site for the 2 'Temp fix for broken...' repos since they shouldn't be working anymore. That will give you the bulk of the repos out there. You can also get individual apps at http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008.

@Rebski - please post again if you ever get those repos working for you so I can try too. I'll do the same. :)

Honeybadger
2008-01-05, 02:34
ok, I went to www.gronmayer.com, I don't see a 2008 link...gronmayer design?

Right site?

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-05, 02:50
ok, I went to www.gronmayer.com, I don't see a 2008 link...gronmayer design?

http://gronmayer.com/it/

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-05, 02:51
Sorry for the incomplete link... Try this:

http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4

:D

AbelMN
2008-01-05, 09:29
Sorry for the incomplete link... Try this:

http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4

:D

Thanks, but what about

the empty http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/. ?

Should't we have a new fresh load from the (for me) Nokia N800 site ?

I did search this thread, but do not see a final 'guaranteed' fixing of the repository problem. Somehwere else? Did I miss something?

As a general comment: searching around to fix all this keeps me busy to much. I did not buy my N800 to sit behind my PC loooking up all this. (Sorry, I do have a bit of a morning temper).

Thanks again for the good posts on this issue.
Abel.

Rebski
2008-01-05, 12:06
Futures has compiled a list of what he calls 'official' repositories, see here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14402&highlight=repository

The new one, to me, is Maemo Contrib

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-05, 15:53
Futures has compiled a list of what he calls 'official' repositories, see here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14402&highlight=repository

The new one, to me, is Maemo Contrib

FYI - Maemo Contrib has the same packages as Maemo Extras

Scarflash
2008-01-05, 16:34
so if you add the repos futures has posted your application mannager can update?

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-06, 16:36
FWIW - I was finally able to install from the Tuomas Kulve repo. Turns out it wasn't a problem with the repository at all really. It was a conflict with an older (bora) version of gstreamer packages that I had install at some point (though I don't remember when or why). Evidently when I attempted to upgrade my ogg support a few days ago something went awry.

To fix the conflicts I did the following:

1) open Xterm and sudo gainroot
2) $apt-get install (insert package name here; eg: ogg)
3) watch for error messages - it might tell you to try 'apt-get -f install' without any packages. Do this and see if it can correct the problems you're having, otherwise it will tell you in more detail what the problem is - for me it said that it got errors processing and trying to overwrite 3 particular files.
4) Here I went back into Appliation Manager and manually deleted the 3 packages that were giving me the error messages (I tried to do 'apt-get remove' but it wouldn't work). Then back to xTerm and 'apt-get -f install' and viola - now new version of ogg is not broken and mPlayer isn't broken anymore.

I guess one of the lessons here is that it's possible that some problems we are blaming on repositories could actually just be dependency problems (aka: dependency hell).

Many thanks to Mr. Kulve for his assistance in figuring this out.

I know this won't help all of you having problems, but it might help some :D

Rebski
2008-01-06, 23:02
Thanks for detailing the process. It didn't solve my issues with tuomas.kulv and maemo-hackers repositories but, as a Linux command line novice, it got my feet wet with Terminal.

I am starting to feel proper grown up and geeky.

dont
2008-01-07, 16:59
So, is it now safe to re-flash and start over again?

Has everything settled down now?

Rebski
2008-01-07, 17:08
So, is it now safe to re-flash and start over again?

Has everything settled down now?
Timely question, I have just done it so the answer would appear to be yes. Apart, that is, from my issues with tuomas.kulv and maemo-hackers which remain.

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-07, 23:26
Timely question, I have just done it so the answer would appear to be yes. Apart, that is, from my issues with tuomas.kulv and maemo-hackers which remain.

Rebski, are you getting No_PUBKEY errors for both repositories? I was trying to help someone else who is getting the same PUBKEY error with the kulve repo and I did find that sometimes running 'apt-get update' from xterm as root might fix the problem. If not - do a Google search on the error: "The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available" You will get a lot of hits with varying suggestions on how to fix the missing key.

It's not really a problem with the repository :)

Rebski
2008-01-07, 23:58
Rebski, are you getting No_PUBKEY errors for both repositories?
Yes that is correct. I had hoped that a clean install of the Os2008 would clear it up.

I have repeated your earlier instructions, after 'sudo gainroot' I get "Enable RD mode if you want to break your device" (very encouraging) and after 'apt-get -f install' I get "Unable to lock the administration directory, are you root?"

Presently i am trying to grasp (and failing) the content of the thread
[Announce] easyroot -- an even better way of becoming root
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14583

I have installed EasyRoot from
http://olya.com/maemo/
and, after running your commands, get "4 Not Upgraded" so i am none the wiser.

I shall try Google as you suggest.

Honeybadger
2008-01-08, 03:52
I seem to be a fellow sufferer Rebsky...

DO you get an error when you try to deselect "Virtual memory"?

I am completely at a loss and am out of ideas, I finally put in a call to Nokia tech support though they have no idea either, they are even telling me the /mmc2 card errors I am getting in app manager aren't their error and are problably caused by 3rd party apps (I doubt it!).

I am hoping they might have a solution for me sometime this week.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 15:16
“The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:”
I discovered the you can get the key by asking it from a keyserver using terminal: -

#gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys EA68E29D

[Note the 8 digit key is that for Maemo Hackers ]

The response to the command is: -

no remote program execution supported
keyserver: communication error: general error
keyserver receive failed: general error

While I am understandably thrilled to be dabbling in the arcane world of GPG, the response to the terminal command should be a little more forthcoming.

Is there an app that is required to be installed in order for the GPG communication to take place or is this capability deemed to be an integral part of OS2008?

Mikeinnc
2008-01-09, 15:29
Can anyone here help? I have updated my OS to 2008 (twice, now) but whenever I try and install *anything* - yes, even Skype from a button - the Application Manager launches; throws up a dialog box that says "Downloading 1kb" and that is it. Period. Nothing. I have removed repository names. I have added repository names. In short, I've done just about anything to get somewhere....anywhere!

And...if I try to use apt-get in X-term, I get all sorts of error messages. I suppose I ought to sudo or be root - but what's the default password?

I'm seriously asking why I bothered......:(

ANY assistance gratefully received.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 15:55
To follow on, since I am unable to get a KeyServer to confirm the key I decided to continue (based on the assumption that the Maemo Hackers PUB KEY is correct) and to export the key from gpg and add it to the list of trusted keys for apt with apt-key:

#gpg --armor --export 5FD45CD3EA68E29D | apt-key add -

[Note this is the full key, i.e. not truncated to the last 8 digits – advice on the correct format varies]

The response to the command is;

gpg: WARNING: nothing exported
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found

So, that is it. I appear to be stuck.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 16:48
Mikeinnc
the Application Manager launches; throws up a dialog box that says "Downloading 1kb" and that is it. Period. Nothing.
Just a query, have you Application Manager/Tools/Refresh Application List

and them /Tools/Log
There may be some information in there that could help.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 16:50
Honeybadger

DO you get an error when you try to deselect "Virtual memory"?
The thought of deselecting Virtual Memory scares me, why would I want to do it?

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-09, 23:37
To follow on, since I am unable to get a KeyServer to confirm the key I decided to continue (based on the assumption that the Maemo Hackers PUB KEY is correct) and to export the key from gpg and add it to the list of trusted keys for apt with apt-key:

#gpg --armor --export 5FD45CD3EA68E29D | apt-key add -

[Note this is the full key, i.e. not truncated to the last 8 digits – advice on the correct format varies]

The response to the command is;

gpg: WARNING: nothing exported
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found

So, that is it. I appear to be stuck.

Reb - Just to make sure... You need to connect to WiFi BEFORE you attempt to connect to anything (ie: Keyserver) on the outside. Xterm will not automatically connect to WiFi for you like most everything else on the tablets do.

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-09, 23:44
Honeybadger

The thought of deselecting Virtual Memory scares me, why would I want to do it?

Deselecting Virtual Memory won't hurt anything unless it's actively being used - if which case I don't it will allow you to deselect it. Virtual Memory (aka Swap) is really nothing more than a temporary holding place.

The only reason I had suggested Honeybadger deselect it is because he was getting errors that his internal (non-removable) MMC was in use - I know that the N810 uses the internal (non-removable) MMC as it's choice for swap usage. I fear that something in his swap has become corrupted and I don't know how to tell HB to fix because he/she is missing some important abilities - namely the ability to become root.

I guess this should be a lesson to each and every N810 user out there. Make sure one of the first things you do is install becomeroot to make sure that you can do tasks from the command line that require root access - because if things go wrong on your internal card it's not like you can just pop it out and reformat in a desktop computer.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 23:47
You need to connect to WiFi BEFORE you attempt to connect to anything (ie: Keyserver) on the outside. Xterm will not automatically connect to WiFi for you like most everything else on the tablets do.
That would make sense, wifi is connected but do I need to connect specifically via Terminal? If so then it would require commands? Would you know what they are, please?

In the meantime I have dealt with the no-pub key issues for the two repos, Maemo Hackers and Tuomas Kulve , all thanks to Saluga for pointing me in the right direction
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124272postcount=10

A word of explanation for those of us sharing my pit of ignorance:-

Maemo Hackers: http://maemo-hackers.org/
Go down to Get GPG Key and download pubkey.txt
http://inz.fi/pubkey.txt

Tuomas Kulve: http://tuomas.kulve.fi/
Go to PGP and download pgp.txt
http://tuomas.kulve.fi/pgp.txt

Place the files ‘pubkey.txt’ and ‘pgp.txt’ in a suitable directory on your tablet.
Open terminal, gain root (by your own means) and navigate to the directory containing the two files.

#apt-key add pubkey.txt
#apt-key add pgp.txt

That will solve the no-pub key issues for those two repos at least.

Rebski
2008-01-09, 23:54
The only reason I had suggested Honeybadger deselect it is because he was getting errors that his internal (non-removable) MMC was in use - I know that the N810 uses the internal (non-removable) MMC as it's choice for swap usage.

OK I understand now, I have a N800 and so would probalby need to set up my own swapfile.

I recall seeing threads on the forum and, if I fell the need to set one up, I am sure I can best the reluctance of the Search function to report much of value.

Speaking of the Search shambles, it does not seem to be keeping track of my unread threads. I only discovered your recent posts when I came to post here myself.

PinCushionQueen
2008-01-10, 00:07
That would make sense, wifi is connected but do I need to connect specifically via Terminal? If so then it would require commands? Would you know what they are, please?

In the meantime I have dealt with the no-pub key issues for the two repos, Maemo Hackers and Tuomas Kulve , all thanks to Saluga for pointing me in the right direction

Place the files ‘pubkey.txt’ and ‘pgp.txt’ in a suitable directory on your tablet.
Open terminal, gain root (by your own means) and navigate to the directory containing the two files.

#apt-key add pubkey.txt
#apt-key add pgp.txt

Yay! I'm glad you FINALLY got that fixed and at least now I know if the pubkey bug bites me I can have this thread as a resource thanks for posting your fix.

As for wifi and Xterm if there is a way to connect to wifi from xterm - I don't know what it is :o I just always connect first if I know I'm going to be trying to grab something online - I've gotten similar errors to yours (the first ones) just by not being connected to wifi.

Rebski
2008-01-10, 00:14
Yay! I'm glad you FINALLY got that fixed and at least now I know if the pubkey bug bites me I can have this thread as a resource thanks for posting your fix.
Yes, it was good to get the result. It also progresses my understanding of the Debian security process.

As for wifi and Xterm if there is a way to connect to wifi from xterm - I don't know what it is
That is ok, just the knowledge that it has to be done is sufficient for me to get stuck in. My assumption was that Terminal was automatically sharing my wifi connection.

Mikeinnc
2008-01-10, 00:41
Just a query, have you Application Manager/Tools/Refresh Application List

and them /Tools/Log
There may be some information in there that could help.

I checked out the error log in Application Manager and this is what it read:

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_updates_chinook_._Pa ckages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_certified_dists_chin ook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_non-free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://elkins.org chinook/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/elkins.org_packages_dists_chinook_main_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.cobb.uk.net chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.cobb.uk.net_apt_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
apt-worker[1280]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib - g_strsplit_set: assertion `string != NULL' failed
apt-worker[1280]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib - g_strsplit_set: assertion `string != NULL' failed
E: Failed to fetch http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/updates/chinook/./Release.gpg
E: Failed to fetch http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/dists/chinook/Release.gpg
E: Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/dists/chinook/Release.gpg
E: Failed to fetch http://elkins.org/packages/dists/chinook/Release.gpg
E: Failed to fetch http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/dists/chinook/Release.gpg
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_updates_chinook_._Pa ckages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com_certified_dists_chin ook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://repository.maemo.org chinook/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_non-free_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://elkins.org chinook/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/elkins.org_packages_dists_chinook_main_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.cobb.uk.net chinook/user Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.cobb.uk.net_apt_dists_chinook_user_binary-armel_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Perhaps a review of what I did. In 'My Selection', I clicked on Skype button. It asks 'Install Skype?'. I click OK.

A dialog then appears 'In order to install software from this source a catalogue must be added. Add catalogue now? Nokia Catalogue.' I click OK. The Application Manager screen starts; the by now infamous 'Downloading 1kb' message appears and that's where it stops. After a while, I cancel. If I 'Browse Installable Apps' in the App. Manager, of course it is empty (no apps available).

I have browsed to the repositories in the log, and in all cases it appears that the 'Release.gpg' file is NOT available. Is this the public key?

This should not be this ridiculously complicated. If I press a button that has been put there inside the OS saying 'Skype', I'd expect it to work!!

Thanks for ANY assistance! :confused:

Mikeinnc
2008-01-10, 04:35
Oops! Looks like it WAS a connectivity problem. N800 was only device using wireless on the router / access point. My laptop was using ethernet and connected via work vpn. The router was not set up to point to my ISP DNS servers! Not a problem for laptop, since they were getting resolved via vpn DNS. Don't ask why some sites were reachable from N800 and others not - I don't know. Anyway, got DNS server IP addresses from DSL modem and put as 'static' DNS in router - and everything works! Yeah!! N800 can now reach the world via wireless!
Skype installed in an instant......

Rebski
2008-01-10, 10:47
Just as an exercise, late last night I disconnected from my wi-fi and tapped Refresh Application List. My log was almost identical to yours.

I had expected Application Manager to report that there was no connection but it just carrried on and reported the list of errors.

Isn't that a bit dumb?

I was just about to post this but see that you have sorted the problem already. No thanks to Nokia.

tobiasj
2008-02-19, 17:52

#apt-key add pubkey.txt
#apt-key add pgp.txt

That is great information. And (following those directions) I have silenced a few of my repro errors. My question is, how do you quiet them down for other repros? I get the same error for a few others (people.mozilla.org for example , blassey's repro) and a couple others. I have been all over that repro and I see no public key posted anywhere. Can I tell my tablet to ignore that error or is there some way to get the key? I know it doesn't effect anything, but when I am troubleshooting a problem in app-manager I dont want to see a bunch of errors that I can 'ignore' I just don't want them there...

-John

Rebski
2008-02-19, 18:21
From what I could find at that time, there are several sources where registers of public keys are kept. In theory it should be possible to obtain the key from the public registrar and then use the 'add pubkey' method. This is my understanding but i could be wrong.

I then found that, as usual, I was making life hard for myself and that the maintainer of the repository simply make available the key on a web page.

But, from what you say, this is not necessarily always the case either.

I am not at all familiar with Linux and am happy to learn but it does get time consuming sometimes.

AbelMN
2008-02-22, 18:32
I do suggest this thread to be closed.

The repository problems are not of immenent importance anymore and the posts lately discuss everything but repositories.
The posts on pubkeys are very useful, but should perhaps be located elsewhere.

It was a fine thread, now it is time for her to rest in peace

Abel.

yabbas
2008-03-19, 00:54
Rebski - can you post the public keys on a separate thread please :)

This'll help a lot of people wondering what these gpg errors are!

Have some thanks ;)

yabbas
2008-03-19, 11:20
nm - posted it separately with kudos to you/others...

kudos1uk
2008-06-25, 20:03
Is this "fix" still needed in Diablo?

GeneralAntilles
2008-06-25, 20:05
Is this "fix" still needed in Diablo?

No, this fix was for when the repos were down during the first OS2008 release. Thanks for the gravedig, though. :\

kudos1uk
2008-06-25, 20:35
No, this fix was for when the repos were down during the first OS2008 release. Thanks for the gravedig, though. :\

I assumed, as it was still pinned it was still current. I guess it need unpinning from the forum top.

GeneralAntilles
2008-06-25, 20:52
I assumed, as it was still pinned it was still current. I guess it need unpinning from the forum top.

It is that (I never browse the individual forums), my apologies. Reggie, could we please get this unpinned so it doesn't confuse people?