PDA

View Full Version : BT DUN with 8525 solved...

jcpole
2007-12-24, 07:44
Hi all...

Just to keep everyone informed, I found a workable solution to providing BT DUN from my 8525 (ATT Default WM6 ROM).

If you don't mind spending $34.00, the PDANET product from http://www.junefabrics.com/ works great.

My N810 immediately recognized the BT DUN capability in the phone (you will need to re-pair to get it to recognize the new capability), and about 30 seconds after installation finished, I was connected.

I tried a few other products (including USBMODEM, which didn't work at all for me), and this is the first one that actually worked. This product also doesn't seem to have the connection drop-off problems that people are seeing with other similar products.

Until Maemo decides to include BT PAN, this looks like a great option.

As always, YMMV... This worked well for me.

Jamie

Nunim
2007-12-26, 18:23
Yeah, I use PDA Net with my Mogul and it works great, much better then the hacks I've tried.

jazzbass12
2007-12-26, 18:27
question for you guys...I use USB modem..If I dont use it for awhile, it disconnects. Have you left PDA NET running for awhile and does it stay connected?
Basically, how is the connection reliability?

jakubd
2007-12-27, 20:26
Just a quick proposition for all PocketPC owners with WM6 and Nokia Tablet: you can put back the Dial-Up Bluetooth profile for the time being (until BT PAN support will be ready) using this hack (for free - why we should pay for the feature, that was just deleted by M$):
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=2121&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

gamblor
2007-12-27, 22:43
I can confirm that jakubd's link above to the DUN hack works. I have n810 and a Treo 750 with WM6 paired and working fine. Reboot your phone after the hack and you may need to pair your tablet with your phone again.

jakubd
2007-12-27, 22:54
However you have to read this through - there are some problems with this hack. After each use of DUN, you need to restart phone module to be able to use Internet access on the device again. This is the fun of using hacks :)

mulder
2007-12-28, 05:29
What's the correct config to get this to work? I'm running OS2008. I have a vzw Motorola Q with PDANet installed. Here are my settings:

I paired the phone and N800
The phone is listed as a trusted device on the N800
Restarted phone after pairing

Cellular Provider: Verizon Wireless (via the wizard)

connection type: GPRS
Dial-up Number: #777 (this field is required)
User Name: <my cell number>@vzw3g.com (also tried leaving this blank)
Password: vzw (also tried leaving this blank)

PdaNet 1.80
Enable Bluetooth DUN: Checked

When I try to connect, I get "connection failed...". :mad:

elnegrodiablo
2007-12-28, 18:19
IM having the same problem with my HTC Kaiser phone. I ve paired the n810 with my phone but i still cant connect to the web. I have unlimited pda plan with at&t
any suggestions?

mulder
2007-12-28, 18:28
I can browse files on my phone using the N800 via bluetooth. I can use surf the web on my laptop via pdanet and bluetooth. This sucks...

Nunim
2007-12-28, 19:13
I can browse files on my phone using the N800 via bluetooth. I can use surf the web on my laptop via pdanet and bluetooth. This sucks...

Did you enable DUN? and properly configure the connection on the N800?

mulder
2007-12-28, 19:18
Did you enable DUN? and properly configure the connection on the N800?

Yes... I enabled DUN within PdaNet. I used the cellular operator wizard to select Verizon. I configured the Verizon connection as a GPRS connection. The dial up is #777 and I tried both <my cell number>@vzw3g.com/vzw and <blank>/<blank> as the username and passoword.

elnegrodiablo
2007-12-28, 19:42
how do i enable DUN?

Nunim
2007-12-29, 01:32
Yes... I enabled DUN within PdaNet. I used the cellular operator wizard to select Verizon. I configured the Verizon connection as a GPRS connection. The dial up is #777 and I tried both <my cell number>@vzw3g.com/vzw and <blank>/<blank> as the username and passoword.

Hrm, I didn't enter any of the info other than #777, but I've got sprint. Is the phone paring with the IT and its just failing to connect with PDA Net?

how do i enable DUN?

Make sure it's check off in the PDA Net settings, then re-pair the phone with the IT.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4818/bluetoothdunkq4.jpg

mulder
2007-12-29, 01:38
Hrm, I didn't enter any of the info other than #777, but I've got sprint. Is the phone paring with the IT and its just failing to connect with PDA Net?

The phone pairs fine. I can use the N800 to browse files on the phone via file manager. I can also use BT Dun with my desktop and cell phone.

:mad:

Nunim
2007-12-29, 01:42
The phone pairs fine. I can use the N800 to browse files on the phone via file manager. I can also use BT Dun with my desktop and cell phone.

:mad:

Then all I'd suggest is to make sure you're not using the data connection on the phone and try removing the login info, perhaps that's just confusing it? I'm not quite sure, are you using Packet data or data call?

jcpole
2007-12-30, 06:38
question for you guys...I use USB modem..If I dont use it for awhile, it disconnects. Have you left PDA NET running for awhile and does it stay connected?
Basically, how is the connection reliability?

Yep - I've left my N810 connected through my phone for almost 12 hours, and it never disconnected. It was idle for most of that time.

As far as getting PDANet to work, it seems that re-pairing the N810 with the PDA/Phone after installation is key. Also, once you've installed PDANet, the initial N810 (OS2008?) setup dialog does discover the PDA/Phone, and (at least in the case of AT&T) does contain configuration settings to make it work. I didn't have to configure any account information or telephone pseudo-numbers.

I tried the PocketPCMag hack link (before I decided to buy PDANet), but it didn't work for me.

Jamie

mulder
2007-12-30, 18:05
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I was finally able to get my Nokia N800 to use my Verizon Motorola Q to connect to the internet via Bluetooth DUN!!!

a. I updated my Motorola Q to the latest firmware (MOL3).
b. Installed PdaNet 1.80.
c. Since Bluetooth was already on, I simple enabled BT DUN in PdaNet. I think this made the PdaIcon have a little, red BT icon on it.
d. Restarted my Moto Q.
e. Made sure my desktop could connect to the web via PdaNet and the Moto Q (i was getting error 691 before I reset the phone)
f. Deleted the old pairing on the N800
g. Paired the N800 with the Moto Q
h. I canceled the "cellular operator" wizard
i. I created a new gprs connection.
j. I left the access point name as "internet", dialup=#777, username and pass are blank, clicked finished.
k. I connected with no problem.

I guess the firmware was the fix. Thanks for the help.

elnegrodiablo
2007-12-30, 22:40
After 2 days of frustration i was finally able to get Wireless web on my n810!

I turned my HTC kaiser(at&t tilt) into a wifi router by watching a youtube video and now i can browse my gorgeous tablet! I also had to download a little app called - WMWifiRouter.I didint need BT DUN after all. Youtube video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTxO7SAkwc

Nunim
2007-12-31, 08:15
After 2 days of frustration i was finally able to get Wireless web on my n810!

I turned my HTC kaiser(at&t tilt) into a wifi router by watching a youtube video and now i can browse my gorgeous tablet! I also had to download a little app called - WMWifiRouter.I didint need BT DUN after all. Youtube video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTxO7SAkwc

Yeah WifiRouter is a handy little app, the only problem is that it'll suck down your battery much faster then bluetooth will.

The homepage is here: http://www.jongma.org/WMWifiRouter/

brianduke
2007-12-31, 19:52
WMWifiRouter works with my N810 and ATT 8525!!! Thank you Jorrit Jongma!!! Here is a link to his page: http://www.jongma.org/WMWifiRouter/ I posted instructions for the ATT 8525 in a blog on my MySpace page: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=160792530

elnegrodiablo
2008-01-01, 15:58
Yea Jongma rules. I sent him a donation