PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Hints At Followups

Hedgecore
2006-02-14, 17:43
http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/02/3gsm_2006_more_.html

(Yeah yeah, beats me where the original info is)

I don't care so much about the KB, but VOIP would be nice.

uNtouched
2006-02-14, 17:54
I'll cream my pants if they make something better...I always said it...this is the second big purchase I've ever made where I didn't have almost NO second guessing on wether or not I wanted to keep it...I'd buy anything they come out with...as long as it's better.

Remote User
2006-02-14, 18:24
Another direct sign that this will happen was when London-based Matthew Allum added two new hires to his company, Openedhand (http://www.openedhand.com/activities/) , at the beginning of January. It was his work on Matchbox (http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/screenshots.html) that first caught Nokia's attention nearly three years ago. The role that Matthew and his crew play is central to Nokia's 770 foray and a look at his activity page in the link above is an indication of where things are going and at what level of intensity.

=DC=
2006-02-14, 18:42
The plot thickens...

NokNok770
2006-02-14, 19:45
Isn't voip coming out next OS update anyway, and keyboard, most bluetooth keyboard would work so I don't see any major improvements there. I don't think they would be releasing a new model this year...that seems too soon, or I could be totally wrong.

richm
2006-02-14, 19:49
Isn't voip coming out next OS update anyway, and keyboard, most bluetooth keyboard would work so I don't see any major improvements there. I don't think they would be releasing a new model this year...that seems too soon, or I could be totally wrong.

Maybe they'll actually add the memory it needs, and a real Standby system. ;-)

- Rich

lbattraw
2006-02-14, 19:56

I'm guessing they'll be addressing some of the hardware-related gripes people have been complaining about. Something along the lines of:

More RAM (128M?)
Better backlighting (no "stage lights" on the right)
Fix for cracking problem around the headphone plug maybe?
Support for powered USB host mode without external power
Support for charging over USB port
Niggling little things like being able to take the stylus out with the cover on
Headset (headphone/microphone) jack for VOIP

Those are just some things off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's plenty else they could add.

Larry

Remote User
2006-02-14, 20:11
Niggling little things like being able to take the stylus out with the cover on
Headset (headphone/microphone) jack for VOIP
[/list]I can slide that cover up and access the stylus in less than one second. I don't understand the problem on this one.

I disagree about the wired headset jack. Bluetooth ear/mike thingies are the way to go.

I'd like to see a cable included for delivering power to the 770 via a powered usb hub so that we don't have to do our own. These are available (thanks thoughtfix) for $10 from other sources. That's a bit much. Then just add a quick switch to usb host & back.

I also would vote for X terminal, openSSH and a way to establish desktop icons for applications launched via ssh commands in the X terminal in the default build. X is so nice but without a quick way to ssh to a remote X graphics app the benefit of the X server is largely obstructed.

=DC=
2006-02-14, 20:30
I can see a possible RAM upgrade and even the keyboard, but I don't think Nokia is going to risk killing off the current device for a completely overhauled device that creates the ultimate Internet Tablet. I also think VoIP and even a browser and pluggins upgrade will fix a lot of the major issues with the software side of the device. I just don't see enough of a argument for much change in the hardware, and If I know companies like Nokia, they won't either.

Of course, knowing how quick Nokia is at putting out new phones, this new Internet Tablet market they seem to have created may see similarly quick device rollouts. Heck, even large companies are "creatures of habit".

Hedgecore
2006-02-14, 20:49
The main thing I noticed is that 2006 was expected in the summer. Remember waiting for the original release? Let's see if they learned the largest lesson - - be punctual. ;) I don't care either way about a built in KB. It would be nice if there was one that could dock on the bottom where the USB port is (even a thumb pad) but I intend to use this thing sitting on benches or at coffee shop tables... endeavours which this nice winter weather has killed off for the time being.

alslayer
2006-02-14, 20:51
Engadget had something similar.

Hedgecore
2006-02-14, 20:54
I followed their link to the one I posted ;)

=DC=
2006-02-14, 21:10
That's what I'm talkin' about Hedgecore! The ability to stay connected without actually being connected.

varis
2006-02-15, 00:39
I saw about the same information in 3 blogs (found via technorati), and my impression was that someone had talked with Nokia staff at the 3GSM tradeshow/conference/whatever. I'm waiting for any official announcements as they probably have better information on the upcoming model(s) and specs :)

Tweak
2006-02-15, 03:47
I'd like to see them make as an accessory: a small/portable battery powered stand/dock/USB hub that basically switches the 770 from client to host mode when you plug it in and has 4 powered USB ports on it for devices. Optionally the entire setup can be powered/recharged by a external wall power adapter. Lastly it's color coordinated :D

=DC=
2006-02-15, 05:56
I'd like to see them make as an accessory: a small/portable battery powered stand/dock/USB hub that basically switches the 770 from client to host mode when you plug it in and has 4 powered USB ports on it for devices. Optionally the entire setup can be powered/recharged by a external wall power adapter. Lastly it's color coordinated :D

Now that would be a very good accessory. Another would be a small web/media server for the 770 that could connect remotely.

DaveC
2006-02-15, 08:30
How about a combo USB Mouse with retracting cord and USB hub?

Not exactly a powered USB hub, but very small and self contained, might be hackable to provide power for USB devices:

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/thankos-usb-hub-mouse-154770.php

Dave

bhima
2006-02-15, 10:01
and a real Standby system. ;-)

Yeah, that 7 days of standby time is just so painfully short. :)

=DC=
2006-02-15, 13:38
How about a combo USB Mouse with retracting cord and USB hub?

Not exactly a powered USB hub, but very small and self contained, might be hackable to provide power for USB devices:

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/thankos-usb-hub-mouse-154770.php

Dave
Why stop there? Make the mouse wireless via Bluetooth, bundle it with the powered USB hub with multi-flash memory card reader. I'd buy one of those without flinching.

richm
2006-02-15, 15:42
Yeah, that 7 days of standby time is just so painfully short. :)

Except it's not 7 days - even Nokia specs it out at 4 days. In the two 770's I've had, if I do any amount of significant surfing in the evening, then the battery is significantly discharged by the next evening, without any use in the meantime, and with the cover fully on. One of the 770's was completely stock, with the latest firmware, and had no games, etc. that keep the dyntick active.

Dyntick is nice in theory, but in practice, it doesn't work nearly as well as the more traditional standby schemes used in other portable devices, where you could go weeks without losing significant battery power, other than the usual self-discharge common to all lithium based batteries.

- Rich

richm
2006-02-15, 15:47
Why stop there? Make the mouse wireless via Bluetooth, bundle it with the powered USB hub with multi-flash memory card reader. I'd buy one of those without flinching.

Ideally, they should just include USB Host Mode and OTG support, and then bundle in the appropriate HID drivers for bluetooth mice and keyboards.

Then, you get all the benefits of being able to use *any* USB or bluetooth device, from keyboards to mice to card readers, transparently. The users can then purchase just the accesories they need, on the open market.

- Rich

RogerS
2006-02-15, 15:59
The main thing I noticed is that 2006 was expected in the summer. Remember waiting for the original release? Let's see if they learned the largest lesson - - be punctual. ;) I wonder if the largest lesson isn't "Make sure the functionality is bullet-proof on such a central feature."

If this is the killer app for a device like the 770 — OK, maybe it is and maybe it isn't — then they would risk demolishing their market by releasing buggy VoIP.

As I think about it, what really could be the killer app is what Ari Jaaksi wrote about (http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2005/11/telephone-cell-phone-pc-770.html) some time back — using the 770 with a Bluetooth phone to have access to the web even when you're away from general network access. It's just not something phones are good at by themselves.

The "internet" tablet is about accessing the internet. It's good to get away from the desk and use it in a meeting room, or on the couch or in bed (or as others have described, as a device accessing the network). But I keep thinking about the day I paired with a BT phone and surfed all the way into the city on a train and all the way to work as I walked from the train station to the office. That was different.

Of course, the big barrier here isn't the 770's capabilities but the Telco price of access.

Um, this is a digression, isn't it. I'll make a new thread . . .

=DC=
2006-02-15, 16:01
All I know is something has got to give. We now have an awesome mobile device that is just begging to be customized to the ends of the Earth.

"If the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet was a car, I'd put $4000 spinners on it!" - =DC=