PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting an n800

Laughing Man
2007-12-25, 00:10
So TigerDirect, through Amazon is selling the n800 for 219 dollars + 7.50 shipping. And I'm thinking about getting it for my Christmas present. I currently carry my laptop with me everywhere, but there are times I wish I had my laptop with me but I

a) couldn't carry it cause it's to big (the eeepc is still to big by my considerations..my friend has one)
b) forgot to bring it

So this is what the tablet is for. I want it for Skype (I have Skype Pro) so assuming I have a WiFi connection I can call anybody I have on Skype as well as numbers right? (especially if my cell phone gets bad reception).

For media, I'm thinking about loading it with 2x2 GB cards for a total of 4 GBs. For music, video, pictures, etc.. I currently have a 2 GB flash mp3 player, and I rarely listen to all the music on there (despite having a huge huge music collection on my hard drive). And I assume any video I put on it, after resized to the resolution of the n800 won't take up as much memory. I would definantly use Canola beta (the latest version?).

And internet, why I would want it the most. I know it comes with Opera using version 6 or 7. But can I use another browser, such as Firefox or a more later version of flash? I kinda want to block the ads (I know OS 2008 can right?).

And Pidgin of course.

Also would I have to get OS 2008 as well?

Another friend of mine does have the n800 so I have used it. He just hasn't used it to the extent I want to use it (he uses it mostly for note taking in class instead of getting a dedicated laptop). My other consideration was the iPod touch but that's to heavy on the media and light on the internet features I want.

Does anyone also know it's battery life if I decided to use it as an mp3 player for say long car trips? Many thanks!

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-25, 01:06
So TigerDirect

I'd look at buy.com or Circuit City over TigerDirect. TigerDirect is pretty terrible as far as internet retailers go.

For media, I'm thinking about loading it with 2x2 GB cards for a total of 4 GBs. For music, video, pictures, etc.. I currently have a 2 GB flash mp3 player, and I rarely listen to all the music on there (despite having a huge huge music collection on my hard drive). And I assume any video I put on it, after resized to the resolution of the n800 won't take up as much memory. I would definantly use Canola beta (the latest version?).

Video really isn't compressed much if you use good quality settings, so get as much storage as you can afford. 4GB cards are about as small as I would go, and 8GB cards are coming down fast.

And internet, why I would want it the most. I know it comes with Opera using version 6 or 7. But can I use another browser, such as Firefox or a more later version of flash? I kinda want to block the ads (I know OS 2008 can right?).

Opera is defunct, we're on MicroB now, which is Gecko. Flash is up to date at Flash 9 (and has been for a while). AdBlock plus is an option, but I'd recommend seeing how an ad-blocking CSS and an ad-blocking hosts file work for you first, as AdBlock plus is a bit of a CPU eater.

And Pidgin of course.

Waste of time, screen space, and CPU. :) Better off just using the built-in Jabber client and transports for whatever IM services you use (MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, ect.). Jablet.net (http://www.jablet.net) is the place to go to sign up for an account.

Also would I have to get OS 2008 as well?

Heck, at this point they could actually be coming with it pre-installed. But, yes, you need to upgrade to OS2008. Aside from upping the CPU and generally being totally kick-***, all the new apps are going to be targeted at OS2008.

Another friend of mine does have the n800 so I have used it. He just hasn't used it to the extent I want to use it (he uses it mostly for note taking in class instead of getting a dedicated laptop). My other consideration was the iPod touch but that's to heavy on the media and light on the internet features I want.

The N800 does the internet like no other device in this size class, so it's the best place to go for that.

A lot of people claim that the N800's media functions are poor, but if you're willing to put just a small amount of effort into targeting your video media at the device it'll perform very well.

Does anyone also know it's battery life if I decided to use it as an mp3 player for say long car trips? Many thanks!

Very good if the screen's off, but I'd just pick yourself up a power-adaptor for the car (a car mount and Bluetooth GPS, too!) and not deal with thinking about charge levels while your driving.

Consider investing in some sort of AUX RCA input if you don't have one already. FM transmitters are pretty much universally crap and cassette adaptors are, well, cassette adaptors. I've got an AUX going into the CD changer jack on my '04 Camry and the N800 sounds fantastic.

Laughing Man
2007-12-25, 02:15
Ok, though the box lists that it comes with "Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, stylus, battery (BP-5L), 128 MB miniSD memory card (with adapter), earphones, carrying case, travel charger, USB cable, Quick Start guide.". I guess the travel charger is just an AC charger for on the go?

And yeah, I'd definantly get a power-adaptor for the car. But my 94 camry only has a cassette player, so I'd just use the cassette adaptor. And I don't plan on putting much video on there, maybe just a video podcast or something to watch on the go. Or a StarGate episode.

Would you also know the answer to my Skype question?

geneven
2007-12-25, 04:05
The os2008 version of Skype has been sick, and is expected to recover momentarily. At least, I haven't tried it enough to swear that it works well now. The os2007 version works ok.

DingerX
2007-12-25, 04:59
I have. os2008 beta and skype sucked. Now (=official release) it works great, with even fewer bugs than os2007. So, yeah, you're buying one. We don't say that to everybody; just those that will appreciate the advice.

Laughing Man
2007-12-28, 17:03
Yup I ordered it, though the 2x2 GB cards are sitting outside my house >.< I won't be able to get to them till the 31st since I'm in NC.

Any advice on what else to install? I plan on installing Canola 2 beta, Skype, and some other software. But are there any good sudoku games for it? Preferbly some that save your game so you can come back to it later.