PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on what to purchase, coder who needs functionality now.

timotheus
2007-12-26, 20:29
Hello, everyone. I've been looking into the N800 for over a week, and I'm pretty sure this is something I want to have. What is causing me problems is what SD card to order with it. Let me tell you what I'm going to use it for, and tell me what you'd recommend.

I'm going to use my N800 as an internet tablet, but also as a laptop alternative. I do PHP coding for a living. I want a text editor with syntax highlighting capability (vim looks good for this), Jabber support (built in, so it seems), FTP program (doesn't need to support SFTP), ebook reader, simple notepad app. I don't need mp3 player or awesome video support, I have a Zen for that.

Apache and PHP running on the device would be nice, but I'd be happy being able to just FTP to my server.

I know the N800 supports SDHC cards up to 8GB, but is that only on OS2008? Obviously, OS2007 has a lot more applications ready for it, but if it only sees a max 2GB size SD card, that is what I'll get.

Many thanks in advance.

akd
2007-12-26, 20:35
Hi! Latest OS2007 release already supports larger SD cards, so don't worry about if you should use your N800 with ITOS2007. :)

Moonshine
2007-12-26, 20:48
AKD is correct, either will support larger SDHC cards (to 16GB currently I believe). I have two 8GB in my N800.

Personally, given your list, I'd run OS2008 though.

timotheus
2007-12-26, 20:51
Thanks akd and Moonshine for the fast responses..

Moonshine: what would you recommend to use as an FTP app then on OS2008?

Moonshine
2007-12-26, 21:08
I don't FTP much on my tablet, but when I do I use ncftp which you can get from the elkins.org repository.

Usually I'm making changes to a variety of files within a collection though, so I mainly use rsync or subversion to keep things up to date. If I'm just moving a couple files here and there, then I use sftp which is part of the ssh package.

Really if you are talking about making updates to collections of php files you should check out rsync or subversion some time though. It's worth the effort.

Naranek
2007-12-26, 21:25
I'm a web developer myself and use vim as my primary editor. I think that editing through n800 could be quite painful if you're planning on more than just quick repairs. I'd set up a separate LAMP server and edit the files through ssh as you're planning to use vim anyway. That way you wouldn't be tied to the tablet, but could also code with a proper computer if you get a chance. It would also cut down the risk of forgetting three months of work to the bus.

edit: oh, you already have a server. Try ssh. You'll love it :) Also see ssh-fs.

timotheus
2007-12-26, 21:59
Naranek, yes sorry I wasn't clear. This wouldn't be my MAIN system on which to do coding, I would just like to be able to make edits and such to existing php files. Quick fixes, like you said.

Also, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is really looking good. However, I realize though there is some compatibility issues with BT keyboards and OS2008. Another reason to stick with OS2007 for a month or so.

Guerol
2007-12-28, 01:48
Also, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is really looking good. However, I realize though there is some compatibility issues with BT keyboards and OS2008. Another reason to stick with OS2007 for a month or so.

I use a little USB-Keyboard with N800+OS2008 (it is not foldable though) It works perfect. Even Hardkeys on N800 like "Zoom"-Key, "On/Off"-Key, "Menu"-Key etc. are accessable via Keys on USB-Keyboard.

gemniii42
2007-12-28, 02:33
<snip>
You might want to look at the iGo at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Blackberry-Handhelds/dp/B0002OKCXE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1198808981&sr=8-1) $30 but it does have a problem - removing the tape :)
A great foldable kb.

GeneralAntilles
2007-12-28, 02:41

No issues here! You have to at least try OS2008, as it's a long sight better than OS2007.

mungbean
2007-12-29, 16:50
I use a little USB-Keyboard with N800+OS2008 (it is not foldable though) It works perfect. Even Hardkeys on N800 like "Zoom"-Key, "On/Off"-Key, "Menu"-Key etc. are accessable via Keys on USB-Keyboard.

sounds good - there will be many more options for usb keyboards than for bt...

i was originally going to ask how you did it, but then found the stuff about USB host mode described in the wiki (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_USB_Host_mode_on_the_N800_u sing_OS_2008) and a thread on keyboards and USB adapters (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4177&page=22), so i'll leave these here as pointers for other newbies stumbling around in the forums like I am... :)