PDA

View Full Version : Reordering Bookmarks

bilofsky
2007-12-27, 02:09
Newbie bookmark questions:

Is there any way to put the browser bookmarks on the N810 in the order I want them?

jmk
2007-12-27, 02:11
Newbie bookmark questions:

Is there any way to put the browser bookmarks on the N810 in the order I want them?

Open the bookmark manager, drag and drop..

bilofsky
2007-12-27, 02:42
Open the bookmark manager, drag and drop..

I can drag a bookmark to a different folder.

But when I try to drag it to a different position in the same folder, it doesn't take. What am I doing wrong?

Eismaus
2007-12-27, 09:44
good question. i can't order my bookmarks in os2008 either

Karel Jansens
2007-12-27, 13:02
good question. i can't order my bookmarks in os2008 either

There has been no way to reorder bookmarks since the olden days of ITOS2005. A fellowship of brave souls once set out on a quest to the icy Mountain of Nokia to ask the Dragon for help. Nought has been heard of them since and fear is doom has been their lot...

timsamoff
2007-12-27, 14:16
Ever since the last version of OS2007, bookmarks have appeared only in alphabetical order -- despite dragging/dropping them into a different order in the Bookmark Manager.

The question is: Is this a bug, or a feature?

-T.

bilofsky
2007-12-27, 14:46
The question is: Is this a bug, or a feature?
IMO it's a nasty bug.

There's a sort command in the Bookmarks Manager, so the user can have it sorted if they want. Just add another option - Don't Sort. Then you don't force a particular choice of orders (or two choices, in this case - by name or by date) on the user. Suggest it, perhaps, by making it the default. But don't force it.

(This isn't just a quibble of UI philosophy. I imported 1,000 bookmarks. I can't find anything, and what I can find takes too long to get to.)

Any chance this might change back? Who do I ask?

tommie
2008-01-03, 00:50
Sort by NAME in Ascending order as in the Bookmark settings.
THEN
under bookmark, EDIT..

EDIT the NAME of the bookmark prefacing you most used bookmark with the number "1"
then do another with "2", then another with "3" and so on

It's only a workaround for another frustrating but your favorite bookmarks will be in the correct order!!!

bilofsky
2008-01-03, 20:11
Thanks for the idea, but it's not practical to renumber 1000 bookmarks by hand.

This was reported as a bug (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=747) over a year ago, and I just voted for it on that page.

Having missed it in a search, I resubmitted it (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2666), and received a comment in reply: "personally i agree, sadly the specification and implementation prohibit it." So I guess someone somewhere has a reason for this user inconvenience.

Could someone possbily give a newbie a quick intro to who does the support on the browser and the system? Is it Nokia, volunteers, other, a combination? Thanks.