PDA

View Full Version : Garnet VM

M Nofier
2007-12-27, 18:12
Yes I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I just got an N800 last night, and did the upgrade to OS2008.

I've tried to install Garnet VM but when I do I get a message saying:
"Some application packages are missing"
The list of those apps is:

hildon-fm1 (>=1.14)
hildon-libs0 (>=0.14.11-1)
libdbus-1-2(>=0.61)

I think I read somewhere that these are from OS2007.

And just to answer the easiest of questions, yes I did download the N800 app from Garnet's site.

Any ideas anyone?

MJP

timsamoff
2007-12-27, 18:19
Yeah, it seems to be an OS issue... I think their OS2008 version was still in the works, but I could be wrong... Anyone?

-T.

PinCushionQueen
2007-12-27, 18:37
Yes I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I just got an N800 last night, and did the upgrade to OS2008.

hildon-fm1 (>=1.14)
libdbus-1-2(>=0.61)

And just to answer the easiest of questions, yes I did download the N800 app from Garnet's site.

Any ideas anyone?

MJP

Yes they're from OS2007 but you can download them to OS2008. BTW - for future reference, whenever you get a missing package error message you can easily go to gronmayer (http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4) and search for the repository that hold your desired packages. The one's you want are found in Maemo Bora repo.

FWIW, I've installed GVM on my N810 running OS2008 :)

timsamoff
2007-12-27, 18:47
Ok, good news... I just hadn't had a chance to try yet. ;)

-T.

promethh
2007-12-27, 19:03
Yes they're from OS2007 but you can download them to OS2008. BTW - for future reference, whenever you get a missing package error message you can easily go to gronmayer (http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4) and search for the repository that hold your desired packages. The one's you want are found in Maemo Bora repo.

FWIW, I've installed GVM on my N810 running OS2008 :)

How stable has your GVM been? I configured mine as 16MB Treo, installed eReader and a couple of apps, and I get random crashes on a daily to weekly basis. It became enough that I gave up on eReader on my N810 and I'm sticking with FBreader under OS2008. I've emailed Motricity a few times about porting eReader to the Nseries, but their dev team and managers aren't interested.

Guess I'll wait to try again with the next GVM release? :p

M Nofier
2007-12-27, 19:23
I downloaded Maemo Bora and when I tried to load the Garnet software I got the same message.

Is there a step beyond simply installing the catalogue that must be done? I saved it to my documents file in file manager, double clicked and it seemed to download (although I don't know to where).

When I look at the installed app list I don't see it, though.

MJP

sfelman
2007-12-28, 00:11
Can I get my contacts in Palm Desktop into N800 with OS2008 via Garnet VM?

ArgentSilver
2007-12-28, 02:07
sfelman: Yes, do a hotsync. You have to setup as a network hotsync and connect to the PC with your USB cable. Probably you'll also want to setup your conduits not to try to sync everything to the GVM. And the first one sets your hotsync user ID into the GVM, so be careful if you are still trying to also use a Palm and hotsync it!

ArgentSilver
2007-12-28, 02:10
I downloaded Maemo Bora and when I tried to load the Garnet software I got the same message.

Is there a step beyond simply installing the catalogue that must be done? I saved it to my documents file in file manager, double clicked and it seemed to download (although I don't know to where).

When I look at the installed app list I don't see it, though.
MJP
See the installation instructions here:
http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/faq.html

M Nofier
2007-12-28, 03:07
I follwed the download and installation instructions, but the apps are missing and Garnet will not install.

MJP

ArgentSilver
2007-12-28, 15:36
I follwed the download and installation instructions, but the apps are missing and Garnet will not install.
MJP
In your original post you said you upgraded to os2008, but you didn't say which version of the GVM you downloaded. If you are actually running os2008, you must use the GVM for N810. For os2007 you use the GVM for N800. So first go to Settings>Control Panel>About product and verify version 2.2007.50-2 (that's os2008). If that's correct, get the N810 GVM and it should install. It worked for me...

M Nofier
2007-12-29, 05:10
In your original post you said you upgraded to os2008, but you didn't say which version of the GVM you downloaded. If you are actually running os2008, you must use the GVM for N810. For os2007 you use the GVM for N800. So first go to Settings>Control Panel>About product and verify version 2.2007.50-2 (that's os2008). If that's correct, get the N810 GVM and it should install. It worked for me...

THANK YOU!

You'd think Access would know that. I was downloading the N800 version, not the 810 (since I have an 800). The download woked.

Do you have any suggestions for getting it to sync? I put in the IP address, but it can't connect.

Any suggestions?

BoxOfSnoo
2007-12-29, 13:19
The first time you sync the network connection seems to time out. Make sure you have "Network" checked off in the Hotsync list, then start playing an Internet Radio station on your n800. Now sync.

M Nofier
2007-12-29, 21:47
I was finally able to find the updated Palm software to get a network connection, but now I'm getting an error message saying that the datebook application cannot load to the handheld because it's "full."

I get this message even when the datebook on the Palm is completely empty (I created a second account on the Palm). The contacts load fine, but not the date book.

Any suggestions?

MJP

ArgentSilver
2007-12-30, 21:57
I was finally able to find the updated Palm software to get a network connection, but now I'm getting an error message saying that the datebook application cannot load to the handheld because it's "full."

I get this message even when the datebook on the Palm is completely empty (I created a second account on the Palm). The contacts load fine, but not the date book.

Any suggestions?
MJP
I think you're on your own on that one, because mine won't sync the datebook either (but Desktop wasn't syncing datebook to my Palm before I got the n800!). One possible problem: later Palm desktops can sync to the Palm software itself, or to Microsoft Outlook, but if it's set up for one it won't do the other. However, that didn't solve my problem and I didn't have enough info in the datebook to care, so I didn't bother to pursue it.

TheGogmagog
2008-01-01, 12:31
I'm having a similar problem to MJP. I can sync and it copies all my programs like word to go but, It won't sync either my datebook or contacts. The only reason I wanted Garnet was because the N800 apps didn't sync directly with outlook.

I'm not getting a full error message, just failed to update message when you read the details of the sync. It does sync notes though, so my outlook ID seems to be right.

marcz
2008-01-03, 17:58

hildon-fm1 (>=1.14)
libdbus-1-2(>=0.61)

Any ideas anyone?

MJP

I have had the same problem, and I didn't want to install bora packages in my chinook distrib.
I emailed garnet support who answered immediatly to my email:

ACCESS is aware of the problem and the download site will be reconfigured.
For now I would recommend that you use the Garnet VM module for N810 for
your N800.

I did it and garnet vm works very well.

MarcZ

InfinityDevil
2008-01-03, 18:33
Yes you will want to get the N810 version if your N800 is using OS2008. I had the same problem initially but when I grabbed the N810 version it worked just fine.

sondjata
2008-01-05, 15:27
Would anyone please put up a torrent of the 810 Version of the VM. The websiet no longer offers the download. I tried last night and the e-mail they sent me simply loops me back to the registration page. There's some palm software I need to replace my Timesheet ap now that GPE Timesheets is dead.

Thanks in advance.

sondjata
2008-01-05, 15:36
Never mind. The problem is the N800 ITOS Browser and/or Mail. Got it from my desktop.