PDA

View Full Version : Eee getting WiMAX

johnkzin
2007-12-31, 15:23
While we're busy waiting for the WiMAX version of the NIT, it looks like there's going to be a WiMAX version of the EeePC unveiled next week at CES:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/31/asus-to-unveil-next-gen-eee-pc-with-wimax-alongside-intel-and-sp/

gemniii42
2007-12-31, 17:56
With Nokia on a 1 yr development cycle and WiMax still vaporware there is a rush to nothing happening soon.

sungrove
2007-12-31, 18:33
I'd be interested to hear what you mean by "vaporware" WIMAX is available now in it's fixed location form. As a Clearwire customer, that is what I'm using as I write. Clearwire is making progress towards mobile WIMAX. See article here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003955477_clearwire17.html
I'm disappointed by the monthly cost for their lap top mobile card service of $60 per month. Hopefully the NIT version will be far cheaper than that.

Bottom line though, I think there is plenty of reason to be optomistic about WIMAX because of the much easier deployment of service in billion person markets like India.

I have no idea what Nokias progress is for the inclusion of a WIMAX
chip. But I'm guessing it's going to happen very soon. I bet we see it in the next year or so.

Neil

johnkzin
2007-12-31, 21:32
Not only is WiMAX deployed in fixed form by clearwire, but it's deployed in a mobile form already (wibro) in Korea. Calling it "vaporware" is rather ignorant.

gemniii42
2008-01-01, 00:09
I had been eagerly following Wimax & Sprint for widespread deployment in the as a US low cost alternative to cell phones. I concede ignorance of it's widespread deployment in the US as a low cost alternative to cell phones.

sungrove
2008-01-01, 02:48
I had been eagerly following Wimax & Sprint for widespread deployment in the as a US low cost alternative to cell phones. I concede ignorance of it's widespread deployment in the US as a low cost alternative to cell phones.

You are right about that. Not yet a US cell phone alternative. A few more bricks need to go in to complete the wall, but it looks to me like we are pretty close, don't you think ?

Neil

johnkzin
2008-01-01, 03:08

If that had been what you said in the first place, then I wouldn't have said it was ignorant. You said that WiMAX is vaporware, not that it has not yet become widely enough deployed in the US to replace cell phones.

The fact is that it is not vaporware, it is widely deployed in some regions, and it is deployed in some markets within the US. It is clearly not vaporware, by any stretch of the imagination.

But, you're right, it's not yet deployed widely enough within the US to be a replacement for cell phone service. That, however, is not a reason to think that an unveiling of the WiMAX NIT at CES would be premature. Especially since there's going to be a WiMAX presentation at CES.

lad
2008-01-01, 05:14
One of the business or techie journals had a whole profile on WiMax - and mentions the gambles involved (at least in the US market). It also mentions something to the effect that Sprint's new leadership has scaled-back their once eager development of it.

sungrove
2008-01-01, 06:50
One of the business or techie journals had a whole profile on WiMax - and mentions the gambles involved (at least in the US market). It also mentions something to the effect that Sprint's new leadership has scaled-back their once eager development of it.

But what does that say about Sprint's leadership? Are they losing interest? Or are they debating how to proceed? I tend to think that could just leave the door open for Clearwire. My personal experience with WIMAX is that it is quite reliable. It works great . What can I say. It's here and it's just going to be developed. If Sprint is stupid enough to scale back it's WIMAX plans, I think they will regret it.

Neil

YoDude
2008-01-01, 08:47

It will never be marketed as an "alternative" to cell phones. It is, and will be marketed as a means of 4G data connectivity.

Sprint has already soft launched service in Chicago and Arlington... A soft launch in Texas is expected Q108.

Soft launch = Network equipment in place...

Nothing vapor about that.

Sprint's intra network (CDMA to iDEN) PTT solution via Qualcomm could be considered vaporware but not WiMAX. WiMAX is a done deal...

At least in those markets :)

A good place to check what is pending with WiMAX is here >> http://www.wimaxforum.org/kshowcase/view

tz1
2008-01-01, 11:10
WiMax would be great if I was near some place that had it and didn't go out of the area.

Right now I have EVDO available from all carriers (and am on contract in a small town in southern Minnesota). I can get data nearly anywhere I go, and most places near freeways is EVDO (with a Cradlepoint pocket router and UM-150 EVDO modem I have high speed internet almost anywhere now). The GSM networks have the same kind of services available. But even EVDO is annoying as one carrier's modem won't work on another carrier's network although the electronics are identical (I was looking at an OQO2 which has an EVDO option, but had to get either sprint or verizon, and I couldn't change it after I ordered it).

WiMax is still in the "early adopter" phase. It sounds great, but for example EVDO only came here with Verizon in December, though Sprint had it for over a year. Having any technology built in that won't be useful for most people for years is not a good idea. And when it does become common there will probably be lighter-sized WiMax to Wifi or Bluetooth access points or repeaters available.

Peet
2008-01-01, 11:45
If only individuals could one day run their own "Wimax routers" instead of Wifi... I wouldn't mind getting a personal AP with 100x the range, but telcos with their data transfer schemes tend to price me out.

Maybe Wimax will eventually push 3G data prices down which would be helpful with the handset+BT+NIT setup.

gemniii42
2008-01-01, 13:23
It will never be marketed as an "alternative" to cell phones. It is, and will be marketed as a means of 4G data connectivity.

Sprint has already soft launched service in Chicago and Arlington... A soft launch in Texas is expected Q108.

Soft launch = Network equipment in place...

Nothing vapor about that.

Sprint's intra network (CDMA to iDEN) PTT solution via Qualcomm could be considered vaporware but not WiMAX. WiMAX is a done deal...

At least in those markets :)

A good place to check what is pending with WiMAX is here >> http://www.wimaxforum.org/kshowcase/view

I viewed an IT with wimax and skype as an alternative to a cell phone.
NEW YORK — 08/08/2006

Sprint Nextel Corp. (NYSE: S) today announced its plans to develop and deploy the first fourth generation (4G) nationwide broadband mobile network. The 4G wireless broadband network will use the mobile WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) IEEE 802.16e-2005 technology standard.
Ain't there yet.
from your link:
WiMAX Forum Expects Shipment of Certified Mobile WiMAX Products for General Deployment in Early 2008

It's early 2008 (I checked my calendar).
Vaporware is a software or hardware product which is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge,
Announced in 2006, not here (my area, Washington, DC and most other major US cities) in 2008.
I will be glad when it get's here if it's affordable.
But at this time there may be some other competing technology which will overtake it.