PDA

View Full Version : N800 internet painfully SLOOOOOOW

basket case
2007-12-31, 21:44
Just got an N800 for Xmas, and this thing is really frustrating me. i am a total newb with this, so that explains at least part of my problem.

For whatever reason, the internet connectivity is periodically painfully slow. Opening a simple web page (e.g yahoo mail) can take 15-20 minutes, or more. trying to download ANY new software is simply impossible.

This happens over my wireless network (75% signal strenght or better) or using a bluetooth tether to my blackberry 8100.

Any ideas?

rdcinhou
2007-12-31, 22:20
I use Yahoo mail and I do not have this problem with my N800. Do you use the new Yahoo Mail Beta or the Classic? I use the Classic as it is a lot cleaner interface.

Have you flashed your N800 with OS2008 yet? This alone will speed up your processor to 400 MHz.

basket case
2008-01-01, 00:09
Use yahoo mail classic, and I've upgraded to OS2008.

It does not seem to be an issue with the web pages, as I can run a PC side-by-side with the N800, over the same router, and I'll have no problems with the PC connecting to web pages with the N800 lurches and stalls. Most of the time it reads that it is "connecting".

I am at a loss to explain this. Perhaps I have a bad unit??

Milhouse
2008-01-01, 00:46
basket case - what wireless router do you have? Does it reliably support Power Save Mode (PSM)? Are you running the latest firmware on your router?

PSM allows the N800 to shut off the WiFi radio several times a second in order to save battery power but it can only do this reliably if the wireless router (access point) also supports PSM - if not, the N800 will have trouble communicating with the router. By default, PSM is enabled on the N800.

If your router doesn't support PSM (or supports it badly) access the Connectivity Settings dialog in Control Panel on your N800 and Edit your WiFi connection then go to the last page and click "Advanced". Select the last tab ("Other") where you can change "Power Saving" to Intermediate (saves less battery) or if absolutely necessary to Off (saves no battery power). With it set to Intermediate or Off your battery won't last as long but at least your WiFi connection may stabilise.

basket case
2008-01-01, 18:34
That fixed it!

Thanks for your help Milhouse.