PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Podcast trouble

Fadsjeik
2008-01-02, 12:23
Let me start by saying how great canola is. However with podcast I have two issues:

- The first (already a bug report, I believe) is that I can't seem to download any podcasts. Somewhere (always a different point) an error message pops up saying: error during download. The first couple of times this probably happened due to my own fault (didn't have enough diskspace), but now I freed up 1GB and I'm still getting the errors. It is my understanding that there are people who have no trouble whatsoever, so is there some quick fix around that will work?

- The second is that the podcasts that I could download (just 2, :( ) are not working properly. Some searching the forums lead me to believe that mplayer is at fault here. Running from the command line confirmed this. The reason that they don't work is that they are .m4a files and mplayer can't handle these. The standard media player however doesn't have any trouble with these files. I know there are requests about having the option to select which player to use. Will these also be based on filetype? Because I prefer mplayer, but these m4a files just don't work (and switching the preferences all the time would be a bit of a time waster). Or is there a fix or option in mplayer to enable support?

handful
2008-01-04, 07:12
Hi,

This is really a issue. If we start to create mime(or extesion) tables for everything things can be really ugly. I think we will need to think this carefully because this can be really really nasty if done wrong. Also as the interaction behind it I wouldn't like to see it bloated by configruations and options, this is totally against the very basic premise of canola. But I think at least a solution for this (I hope a elegan one we will need to do asap)

Thanks for the feedback.. let's see what we can do.

Marcelo

Fadsjeik
2008-01-04, 19:42
Thanks for your reply! I understand completely. The best (and most elegant) solution would be to ban .m4a off the internet ;). I don't understand why people want to post their podcast in that format.

Keep up the great work on canlola!

handful
2008-01-05, 18:37
Talked to Morpheuz, and he already has a solution for that, people will be able to configure also the file that handles formats to players. but I think that format will be direct to the default media player by default. =)

Thanks for the feedback

Marcelo Eduardo
-----------------------------
www.marceloeduardo.com