PDA

View Full Version : problem with installing fonts

ocha
2008-01-04, 01:18
So..my dad have his nokia n800 for awhile and we've been trying to install vietnamese font into the device to be able to view the vietnamse websites. we've searched through a lot of webpages to find out how to do it...

so what we did:

1. Run x-terminal
2. Execute command sudo gainroot to enable root access privilege.
3. Copy arialuni.ttf to cp /media/mmc1/arialuni.ttf /usr/share/fonts/
4. Execute command fc-cache –f -v
5. Exit from x-terminal.
6. Reboot the device
7. Open the Vietnamese website

at first when we copy the truetype font and execute command fc-cache -f -v, it says succeeded. however, when we reboot the device and opened a vietnamese website, it still did not work. we are able to read the vietnamese font on the title bar but the rest of the page have missing fonts...they either looked like s_ng or something. thanks in advance!

yabbas
2008-01-04, 12:43
Similar issues occur with Arabic websites.

Some websites specify old style "windows" codepages for character encoding.

I believe the N800 works well with UTF8 encoded pages - see http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/main.html

Does Wikipedia work? http://vi.wikipedia.com

ocha
2008-01-04, 23:12
i took a look at the websites. so, it depends on what kind of fonts right? well, i download arial round (arialr.ttf) and install it. it works on this one website called saigonbao.com. my dad was able to read it. however, when he goes to another vietnamese website like tuoitre.com.vn, it was unreadable. it has missing fonts again like b_ng. so i'm not really sure what is the problem. i've tried installing more fonts like vu-arial and vu-times truetype fonts from the website you gave to me. and now it does not work including the saigonbao.com that worked earlier with arialr.ttf. any idea what i did wrong? also, i can't read vietnamese well but i have taken a look for answers there. thanks again in advance.

ocha
2008-01-10, 00:26
....anybody else that can help?

coffeedrinker
2008-01-10, 00:38
Going from memory here:

A very full unicode font is Palatino Linotype. You can simply install fonts to /user/home/.fonts to have them become useful.

You should search out some of the font stuff I've posted for the microb browser and set the font to UTF instead of x-western (do some googling on setting up fonts for Firefox to gain info on which font settings you need).

I'm not sure what fonts you need for Vietnamese. But type in about:config in Firefox on your desktop machine and see if any of those fonts settings look like what you might need. The variables listed there can sometimes be used in microb.

Then you can set the font name to the setting you wish to use and/or need for your language and web site. You might open the web site page in a browser and use a menu item like "view page source" to see what the language setting for that page is.